Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kurtzman the Tronk 2009 and Into Dankness writer is producing the new shw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

skasion posted:

This is a weird consequence of how the movies are marketed: basically the producers are worried that if teens and twentysomethings can't relate to the characters, no one will watch the movie (which is probably true enough). Which is why Quinto still plays Spock like a manchild despite being older than Nimoy was when he played the character for the first time.

There's been a shift in culture where people treat you like a child until you're like 50 or something. I don't think people would buy 20somethings acting with even a hint of gravitas these days, which upsets me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Star Trek Beyond was good. I want more Star Trek like Beyond.

Really makes ya sad for the passing of Anton Yelchin though, because goddamn did he shine when paired up with Chris Pine.

Also, I really liked Jaylah. If she replaces Yelchin in the crew then I'll be ok with that.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd say more like post-Cold War Afghanistan.

So what you're saying is that the Antwerp Conference bombing was actually committed by a Vedek?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Also, I really liked Jaylah. If she replaces Yelchin in the crew then I'll be ok with that.

I really like that she wasn't the cliched personality they implied in the trailers, but rather actually helpful and nice.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I liked that she didn't have to have a romance plot with either Kirk or Scotty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don't have a problem with Jaylah replacing Chekov since they have pretty much the same (very thin) character of a spunky foreign geek with weird diction and an accent. If we're adding more ladies to the bridge crew I'd prefer Rand, but take what you can get I suppose.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gonz posted:

I was discussing this with a few people at work during lunch the other day, and most of them didn't even know there was a new show coming up. When they heard that it was on some sort of half-assed CBS streaming service, they seemed even less enthusiastic.

"I already have Netflix and Hulu, why the hell would I pay monthly for yet another thing?" was the general consensus amongst the group.

I'm sure a lot more people around the world feel the same way. Just put the goddamn show on CBS and it'll either sink or swim. Stop trying to make All-Access happen, CBS. It's not going to happen. Your show is going to be pirated into dust.
CBS, while it brings in big ratings as a network, is mainly known for bland products that please mass audiences.

They've never had a good track record when it comes to figuring out how to handle genre shows.

I will also note that up until they launched this CBS All Access thing they said they had no plans to do anything with ST on TV, even though this is a golden age of genre television and nerd stuff like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead are the biggest shows on TV. If they had anyone decent running the network they sure as hell could make a quality ST series if they wanted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek 2017 will succeed and profit off the back of the Netflix international deal whilst CBS squanders it within the US.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They should have just tossed it on Showtime. It could exist very easily there and they could still promote OTT since you can subscribe to Showtime ala carte.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
CBS won't give much of a poo poo about Netflix success if DSC doesn't drive subs for their bloated streaming monstrosity. This is a one season show, calling it now. Maybe one full season and a half order for a second if we're lucky.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

skasion posted:

I don't have a problem with Jaylah replacing Chekov since they have pretty much the same (very thin) character of a spunky foreign geek with weird diction and an accent. If we're adding more ladies to the bridge crew I'd prefer Rand, but take what you can get I suppose.

Like they unfreeze Ayn Rand? Far out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

No no, Rand Paul.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeoman Rand, you ninnies.

The whole Yeoman thing seemed weird anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

CBS won't give much of a poo poo about Netflix success if DSC doesn't drive subs for their bloated streaming monstrosity. This is a one season show, calling it now. Maybe one full season and a half order for a second if we're lucky.

Eh, they've said that the International Netflix deal will bring it to direct profit even disregarding CBS All Access, so they wouldn't have any reason to actually cancel it if that situation continues. It's not like ads where you juggle a timeslot's value and alternative shows - it's a pretty straight money spent < money earned.

On the other hand, CBS is so incompetent, who knows.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 3, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

To be honest, I think it's more that Quinto doesn't have much range as an actor. He was basically cast as Spock because the Internet created an uproar over how much of a resemblance he bore to young Nimoy. He doesn't have much capacity for subtlety and a lot of his inflection is closer to Tim Russ' Tuvok than anything else.

How big a factor was Quinto's role on Heroes in his casting for Spock?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

95%

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Pretty much the only factor.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

This is basically how Kirk gets and keeps command in the new films. Because the writers are either dumbasses who believe that someone being told "you're in charge until I get back" means they instantly get promoted from (ungraduated) cadet to captain and stay there, or are contemptuous enough of their audience to think they believe that.

C) It's a narrative shortcut you nerds.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Payndz posted:

This is basically how Kirk gets and keeps command in the new films. Because the writers are either dumbasses who believe that someone being told "you're in charge until I get back" means they instantly get promoted from (ungraduated) cadet to captain and stay there, or are contemptuous enough of their audience to think they believe that.
FIELD PROMOTION :gowron:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

C) It's a narrative shortcut you nerds.

It's not, because there's no reason for them to be cadets in the first place other than wanting a hot young boy band cast.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Arglebargle III posted:

I would be so into Star Trek meets Ayn Rand's Adventures in Wonderland. Can we make that happen?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

It's not, because there's no reason for them to be cadets in the first place other than wanting a hot young boy band cast.

Yeah there's no dramatic interest in starting off at the bottom rung.

The whole goddamn point of the movie is that it's Kirk's first voyage and not his 127th.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's dramatic interest in a lot of things, that doesn't mean every franchise should do every one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

There's dramatic interest in a lot of things, that doesn't mean every franchise should do every one.

Nonetheless that is the story they chose to tell. What makes a movie good is not what it is about but how it is about it.

The point is extra scenes explaining how Kirk got a real promotion and not just a field one would have been a waste of time because most people don't care.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

In the new films, Starfleet is consistently portrayed as a sort of informal Space Patrol instead of an organized military force. They give Kirk the Enterprise because Pike says so in the same way a high-level manager might name his replacement.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm working my way through TNG and I just got to the one in season 2 where they loving mind wipe a child because Data violated the poo poo out of the Prime Directive. Why does the Federation have mind wiping advanced enough to work on aliens?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I'm working my way through TNG and I just got to the one in season 2 where they loving mind wipe a child because Data violated the poo poo out of the Prime Directive. Why does the Federation have mind wiping advanced enough to work on aliens?

They use it again somewhat more egregiously later. Mind wiping people just seems to be part of the regular Star-fleet playbook.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

remusclaw posted:

They use it again somewhat more egregiously later. Mind wiping people just seems to be part of the regular Star-fleet playbook.

the old "Sonic-Roofie"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Echophonic posted:

They probably just made a machine that reproduced a Betazoid technique.

The reason for it was probably to cover up prime directive violations, and probably a piquant tee-hee over parallels to modern UFO reports then current.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

remusclaw posted:

Later on they imply that short-term memory wiping was less regular Starfleet playbook and more Dr Pulaski's party trick.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 3, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nessus posted:

They probably just made a machine that reproduced a Betazoid technique.

Hell, I'm imagining some Section 31 squad of MiB Betazoids they call in for when things go south.

"Excuse me, can I have everyone's attention for a moment?" <betazoid psychic flash>

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Hell, I'm imagining some Section 31 squad of MiB Betazoids they call in for when things go south.

"Excuse me, can I have everyone's attention for a moment?" <betazoid psychic flash>
Logically speaking the Federation's gotta have some kind of a Psi Corps, and Troi would have actually been improved, probably, if she was the psi agent on board. Which HAPPENED to include, primarily, counseling and therapy, BUT ALSO some of the stuff she did in S6 and S7 when they put her in the uniform.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Isolinear Chip drink coasters are now something that exists.

http://technabob.com/blog/2016/08/02/star-trek-isolinear-chip-coasters/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Payndz posted:

"You're the man of the house until I get back from this business trip, son!"

*dad dies in a plane crash*

*next day: 13-year-old boy doing taxes, working at insurance firm*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Logically speaking the Federation's gotta have some kind of a Psi Corps, and Troi would have actually been improved, probably, if she was the psi agent on board. Which HAPPENED to include, primarily, counseling and therapy, BUT ALSO some of the stuff she did in S6 and S7 when they put her in the uniform.

Telepathy's troubling as hell from a moral point of view and they always skipped right over it and just went 'whatever yeah it's fine', it's a pity.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
So does Wyatt Miller ever pop up again to confirm my Troi x Riker fanfictions or is he going to die with the Tarellians?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Telepathy's troubling as hell from a moral point of view and they always skipped right over it and just went 'whatever yeah it's fine', it's a pity.

Lwaxana sees Picard over the viewscreen, and the first thing she does is comb his mind for 'naughty thoughts about me'.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nazareth posted:

So does Wyatt Miller ever pop up again to confirm my Troi x Riker fanfictions or is he going to die with the Tarellians?

Never. The episode is utterly skippable, unless you want to see the introduction of Mr. Homn (and the only time he ever talks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, one of the smartest things the writers ever did was invent "quad" for a unit of storage and didn't explain it beyond that. Otherwise, I'm sure all references to data storage would be hilariously dated right now.

I remember in the novelization of ST:II, they were trying to figure out what to leave Khan instead of the Genesis data. On of the scientists had a game that they had developed that they were going to dump into the main computers. It was mentioned that the game was 50mb and the other characters were astonished, "Christ on a crutch, the program that ate Saturn!"

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 3, 2016