Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Alphabetizing by title and putting all the 'The's together is worse than anything else on the Koch list though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

There are over 90 days left in this election :unsmigghh:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does someone have a clever SA-style canned response to why Wolf Blitzer is in charge at CNN? He's constantly just terrible at his job.
Seniority would be my guess. He's been at CNN for what, 25 years now?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

I can't believe it was only a week ago that we were all freaking out over Trump's convention bounce in the polls.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/760643369894813696

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

When do we get to the point where Trump's campaign is so bad it's actively harmful for Hillary? If he limps to the finish line she'll win in a landslide, but if things implode in August there's still some time for Republicans to rally around a backup.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really looking forward to the HBO movie about this campaign.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Blorange posted:

When do we get to the point where Trump's campaign is so bad it's actively harmful for Hillary? If he limps to the finish line she'll win in a landslide, but if things implode in August there's still some time for Republicans to rally around a backup.

problem with this is the Trump devotees. They aren't gonna vote for someone else

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blorange posted:

They can't replace Trump

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Weird how CelestialScribe hasn't posted in a while huh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blorange posted:

We're well past that point. There's nothing short of Trump literally giving up or dying that would allow the Republicans to pick someone else and if the does the former they'd lose a lot of support regardless.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/760644265584300032

:unsmigghh:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Trabisnikof posted:

They can't replace Trump

I mean the parties aren't exactly governed by any rules or laws so they could it would just be a real bad look

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBigAristotle posted:

Trump's gonna play himself

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blorange posted:

That's the thing though, Trump has a non-negligible amount of supporters who would be very angry if the GOP tried to dump him. Like, probably more than the number of voters they'd theoretically gain if they threw in Paul Ryan or whoever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HorseRenoir posted:

There are over 90 days left in this election :unsmigghh:

I can't believe Trump is self destructing this fast. We knew it'd happen but this has to be a record. How many more 'shakeups' in his team is he gonna have before the election? Sticking to once a month? Maybe boost it to twice now that the REAL campaign has started.

The man answers 'wait what states are you winning that aren't traditional red ones' with 'eeeeh not gonna say, don't want the enemy knowing my plan'. How long until we start hearing gunshots behind him as campaign staff choose to end the suffering quickly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Our God is an Awesome God

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

I mean the parties aren't exactly governed by any rules or laws so they could it would just be a real bad look

States have laws about who can be on the ballot. After officially nominating him, maybe a few states will allow a party to change their mind, but it's not really an option.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
We live in the good timeline, you guys :unsmith:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

need a gif of a stream of schadenfreude flooding into :v: until he explodes because i think that's what I'm feeling

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

We live in the good timeline, you guys :unsmith:

Do not underestimate the electorate's ability to ignore reality. This timeline is just building you up to make the eventual fall that much harder.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I can't believe Trump is self destructing this fast. We knew it'd happen but this has to be a record. How many more 'shakeups' in his team is he gonna have before the election? Sticking to once a month? Maybe boost it to twice now that the REAL campaign has started.

The man answers 'wait what states are you winning that aren't traditional red ones' with 'eeeeh not gonna say, don't want the enemy knowing my plan'. How long until we start hearing gunshots behind him as campaign staff choose to end the suffering quickly.

Every time Trump fires his entire campaign staff and replaces it with a new one, we need to call it "that time of the month".

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Trump's gonna play himself

I thought about that. He would never let you see the real man. Or maybe not, I dunno.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Dexo posted:

I think the bigger issue would be finding someone willing to ruin their career by replacing Trump mid-stream. I don't think even David French would touch that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Star Man posted:

Every time Trump fires his entire campaign staff and replaces it with a new one, we need to call it "that time of the month".

campaign staff coming out the front door, the fire exits, the...ya know.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

QuoProQuid posted:

I think the bigger issue would be finding someone willing to ruin their career by replacing Trump mid-stream.

they would probably just use Mike Pence right

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so ready for some aide to do a reveal-all on what it's like to work for the Trump.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I want it to be like Pentagon Wars.

A very fancy printer produces the new speaking list for the Democratic convention, for Paul Manafort and another aid to look at

Manafort: That's a hell of a speaking list.

Aide: That's a problem.

Manafort: ...Why?

Aide: If Trump goes after any of these military or police families, the country is gonna unload on him with everything its got. Might as well paint a big red bulls eye on his head.

Manafort: But they're military families, not opposing politicians.

Aide (Disparagingly): Do you want me to build a big sign in Trumps office in 5000 font gold leaf saying "These are military families, not public figures, please don't Tweet at them?

Manafort (Slumps into a nearby chair, looking at the sky in desperation): This was going to be so beautiful.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Remember that 30 Rock episode when Jack almost props up some mad-man politician who dresses up as a baby for his ads?

I think the GOP might want to put their support behind that guy cause I don't think Trump is gonna be too successful.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Our God is an Awesome God

A dramatization of the relationship between Trump and Manafort

https://twitter.com/itsthejoeshow/status/760638772946071552

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

If Trump is firing so many people in his campaign, doesn't that mean a lot of sudden late hires? And don't they need to be brought on board quickly?

So they bring on poorly vetted people and presumably get them email passwords and internal documents right away. Does this mean we're likely to get some fascinating leaks?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/760625375827337216

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Goddamnit.

InsertKriegersErection.gif

There's still another 95 days of this! How can this get worse/better?!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

alpha_destroy posted:

Remember that 30 Rock episode when Jack almost props up some mad-man politician who dresses up as a baby for his ads?

I think the GOP might want to put their support behind that guy cause I don't think Trump is gonna be too successful.

I'm a lifelong Democrat, but I'd consider voting for John Slattery.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

smg77 posted:

I can't believe it was only a week ago that we were all freaking out over Trump's convention bounce in the polls.

I wasn't, because Nate Silver was, and my assumption that Nate Silver was overcorrecting served me well. Plus, to believe Trump can win, you have to believe ground game and technological superiority don't matter, and that all publicity is good publicity. Since I don't think any of these things are true, it's pretty hard to believe Trump can win.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man I cannot wait for the tell-all books that get penned after this election. I've never picked up any book about previous campaigns but my god the poo poo the campaign aides have to put with has to be soul-crushing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

campaign staff coming out the front door, the fire exits, the...ya know.

Just cracked up at my computer, thank you.

And yeah, if Trump had done this a few months ago it might have hurt Hillary, but at this point there's nothing that hurts Trump's campaign (short of...poo poo, I dunno, all-out Nuclear War?) that doesn't benefit Hillary, at least in terms of getting elected. Too many prominent republicans have kissed the ring far too enthusiastically at this point. If Trump were chased out or flamed out of the race, the GOP ticket would lose all credibility regardless of how they tried to frame a successor, and the electoral college would go Hillary 300+, Johnson A Few, Stein Maybe A Couple.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Re: replacing Trump, Rule 9 of the Republican Party Rules states:

"Republican Party Rule #9 posted:

(a) The Republican National Committee is hereby authorized and empowered to fill any and all vacancies which may
occur by reason of death, declination, or otherwise of the Republican candidate for President of the United States or the
Republican candidate for Vice President of the United States, as nominated by the national convention, or the Republican
National Committee may reconvene the national convention for the purpose of filling any such vacancies.

So, from this I gather that if and only if Trump dies or quits (there's also "or otherwise" but I can't think of any way he could cease to be the nominee; the rules provide for no ejection mechanism) the RNC is empowered to select a new nominee, with each member of the committee voting the same number of votes as the state they represented had delegates. If there's a split between the members of the RNC from a state, they evenly split the delegates. Nobody can be so selected without achieving an absolute majority-- no pluralities allowed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Man I cannot wait for the tell-all books that get penned after this election. I've never picked up any book about previous campaigns but my god the poo poo the campaign aides have to put with has to be soul-crushing.

It's not a primary source, but do yourself a favor and read "Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus" by Rick Perlstein. Politics in the 60's were amazing and the '64 campaign was a glorious mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Quorum posted:

God, I hope Trump is harder to wrangle than an actual literal Putinesque kleptocratic dictator.

Show me one instance where Putin acted outside his personal political interests. Trump would absolutely be harder to manage.

• Locked thread