Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Epic High Five posted:

That's what I thought, but NBC earlier this year had to give time to other GOP primary candidates because Trump hosted SNL. Is that because they paid him to come/gave him time for free/whatever as opposed to just selling advertising space for market value?

I don't know the exact rules but yea, there's a fairly big difference between 'this campaign bought advertising space we offer to everyone at the rates we offer everyone' and 'we actively invited this candidate to come to our big national stage as a guest of the network'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Kochs are actually kinda big on criminal justice reform. I mean, they still want to reduce humanity to a race of wage slaves working to destroy the earth, but there is one issue they aren't terrible on.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Andrew Cuomo fights the good fight.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Gyges posted:

If Wolf's defense, he's way too stupid to realize that 2004 comes before 2009.

edit: broke the table
This picture is the best picture and I appreciate it every single time it gets posted.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

James Garfield posted:

He lost one plane to an engine failure, was shot down once, lost a plane in the Forrestal fire, and crashed one due to pilot error.

You'll notice that adds up to four.

There are plenty of legitimate things to criticize about McCain without making up idiotic poo poo about his military record.

his hotdogging also damaged a 5th

but did i can see how calling him a vietnamese flying ace was a joke that went over your head

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

e2: the average donation, through Hillary For America, was $44
Well I hear Trump wants his average donation to be exactly twice that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Seriously, I'm pretty sure CNN is literally the worst news agency.
Last I checked, CNN is run by the mental giant that thought "Lets put Jay Leno back on NBC at 11 and kick Conan's Tonight Show to, like, midnight" was an appropriate response to the ratings disaster he engineered when several of the network's Late Night Drama series (like ER) were pruned.

Dude sucks dick and I'm appalled he continues to get work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I am very impressed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FilthyImp posted:

Last I checked, CNN is run by the mental giant that thought "Lets put Jay Leno back on NBC at 11 and kick Conan's Tonight Show to, like, midnight" was an appropriate response to the ratings disaster he engineered when several of the network's Late Night Drama series (like ER) were pruned.

Dude sucks dick and I'm appalled he continues to get work.

There's a quote from a short story called "Killings" that I like to recite about people like this: "Even the worst of bastards still have friends."

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Riptor posted:

you can't remember 3 names?

I didn't say I didn't know them. I said I barely knew them. Which means I know about about politicians that effect me than most people... Speaking of which, I hate my mayor, whathisname?.. Fouts.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Apologies if this has been brought up a zillion times, I've been following the thread in spots but I've probably missed stuff. Why in the world is Paul Ryan up in a primary next week? I mean, the conventions are already over and the presidential nominee is already decided. Does Wisconsin just do multiple primaries for some weird reason?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

The Rokstar posted:

Apologies if this has been brought up a zillion times, I've been following the thread in spots but I've probably missed stuff. Why in the world is Paul Ryan up in a primary next week? I mean, the conventions are already over and the presidential nominee is already decided. Does Wisconsin just do multiple primaries for some weird reason?

Many states (including WI, and AZ) held a Presidential Preference Election during the "primaries" and are having their REAL primary in the next week or two.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Rokstar posted:

Some (I think most?) states have different dates for presidential primaries and congress/state/local primaries.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

So Trump, who needs to win PA... Insults a city in PA?

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/760623911113490432

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Some (I think most?) states have different dates for presidential primaries and congress/state/local primaries.

Is this just a thing one does to kill turnout?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

moroboshi posted:

Look I can't get behind the guy but I will never begrudge a man's right to bad mouth Pennsylvania.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Look I can't get behind the guy but I will never begrudge a man's right to bad mouth Pennsylvania.

http://www.theonion.com/article/visiting-gore-calls-pennsylvania-a-hellhole-294

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/tonyschwartz/status/760621560029913090

https://twitter.com/tonyschwartz/status/760628433818886149

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Nessus posted:

Holy poo poo :perfect:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Nessus posted:

God drat :master:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Is this real loving life lmao forever

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Word is the purple heart Trump was given was a "copy"

edit: https://twitter.com/day_off_ales/status/760603026629406720

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

If Wolf's defense, he's way too stupid to realize that 2004 comes before 2009.

edit: broke the table

Does someone have a clever SA-style canned response to why Wolf Blitzer is in charge at CNN? He's constantly just terrible at his job.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does someone have a clever SA-style canned response to why Wolf Blitzer is in charge at CNN? He's constantly just terrible at his job.
Have you seen the rest of CNN?

gregday
May 23, 2003

berserker posted:

Word is the purple heart Trump was given was a "copy"

edit: https://twitter.com/day_off_ales/status/760603026629406720

Is there not one thing he will not lie about?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lol this is great

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have you seen the rest of CNN?

I saw more CNN travelling to Denver a couple weeks back than I've seen in a year. So, no. But he's in charge, and just so weird and stupid so often.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

moroboshi posted:

This isn't too surprising when you take a moment to remember that his entire RNC speech focused on how America is a broken mess which only he can fix. I think a lot of people in the 'vote for Trump' crowd love to eat up his words when he makes grand and vague statements, but they trickle away one by one when he makes more specific insults aimed at a group/person/place/etc which they identify with because they want to believe that all this doom and gloom can be aimed at a completely separate 'other'. Thankfully, Trump will probably continue to alienate bits and pieces of his audience without ever realizing this and will just blame it on media corruption and censorship if/when his crowd sizes start to shrink.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheBigAristotle posted:

Name recognition. It's hard to forget someone named "Wolf".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/760633940151443457

Even Putin's plant is just giving up.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the explanations re: the Wisconsin primaries. I didn't realize a bunch of states did that, but it makes perfect sense that they would in a "confusing primaries discourage voters" kind of way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I... I just can't bring myself to believe that something so beautiful can be true.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

God, I hope Trump is harder to wrangle than an actual literal Putinesque kleptocratic dictator.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rise of the Warrior Cop? They do know that's anti police militarization right?

Balko is one of the very few people to do genuinely good work as part of a libertarian organization, by pandering to their fears (government paramiltaries! black helicopters!) to present the real data on how hosed up the police were/are. I remember writing a paper in high school that used Rise of the Warrior Cop as a source and I got like a letter grade knocked off because it is technically a CATO publication.

The Kochs never said anything against that despite running CATO, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those very few areas where they are disturbed by a real societal problem.

It's worth noting that everyone's favorite racist sociologist is on the list too, Charles Murray. This time with a "fascinating" screed about white trash and how the middle and upper classes should feel secure in making GBS threads on poor whites because they're stupid and lazy. So, just in case someone thought the Kochs were turning around or something...

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Nessus posted:

Well played. Sad that I know this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The wind kills all your staffers.

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

moroboshi posted:

You know, I keep thinking that he really is trying to lose this. Not to say he's playing 12-dimensional chess, but that he ran for president, as usual, to generate publicity, and ended up getting caught in a perfect storm where feeding the right bullshit to the right people in the right historical moment was enough to win him the primaries. Now his ego is dragging him along to the bitter end, but he doesn't really *want* the job and never expected he'd get this far - so while he's aware on some level that this behavior will cost him the election, he's deliberately, aggressively not giving poo poo.

Of course, an alternative explanation is that his coterie of yes-men plus his gigantic ego have him convinced that he's actually qualified to be president, and he's such a black hole of delusional self-centeredness that he can't see past his own event horizon and grasp how awful he really is.

Either/or, really.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I want to believe, because that is a loving hilarious mental image.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Seeric posted:

This isn't too surprising when you take a moment to remember that his entire RNC speech focused on how America is a broken mess which only he can fix. I think a lot of people in the 'vote for Trump' crowd love to eat up his words when he makes grand and vague statements, but they trickle away one by one when he makes more specific insults aimed at a group/person/place/etc which they identify with because they want to believe that all this doom and gloom can be aimed at a completely separate 'other'. Thankfully, Trump will probably continue to alienate bits and pieces of his audience without ever realizing this and will just blame it on media corruption and censorship if/when his crowd sizes start to shrink.

Remember when he insulted Iowa, and then blamed his Twitter account on an intern?

http://time.com/4084000/trump-iowa-corn/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

i want this to be true more than any other anonymously-sourced scoop in my life so far, i think

• Locked thread