Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The point that it was clear the Republicans aren't going to stick anybody else up to die for this stupid election is when they let that lady with the herbal supplement MLM scam get up there and promote Trump. There's no upside whatsoever for having her up there but if she gets indicted in the next four years (and with that sort of business it's inevitable) they've got a ready-made scandal where Hitlery KKKlinton is sending her critics to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
The GOP needs someone to make a stupid, short-sighted decision?

I wonder who would?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

computer parts posted:

Cruz has literally no reason to jump on that grenade because he's the favorite in 4 years anyway.

The worst part of all of this is how good Cruz is going to look relative to the rest of the party for not falling in line and going down with the ship.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Radish posted:

My new fear is that Trump flames out within the next month, quits out of anger, and then the GOP replaces him with Cruz or whoever. This gives the Trumpers two months to come to terms and vote for the new Not Hillary and then the moderates that were turned off by Trump to come back. I know that's a long shot but at this point it sounds like a clearer path to victory than Trump himself actually winning.

Are you kidding? Trump quitting would make us see a blue electoral map. FDR-style. Any reasonable person with half a brain would basically be like "Ok the republicans clearly don't have their poo poo together". You'd see downticket races collapse on the republican side too. It'd be a disaster for them.

Let me reiterate they'd become a rump party in that instant.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So how many other states didn't vote for Trump in the primary? I'm so glad Ohio didn't.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I admit it's not a valid fear.

Paradoxish posted:

The worst part of all of this is how good Cruz is going to look relative to the rest of the party for not falling in line and going down with the ship.

Trump insulted his wife and dad so I kinda want to give him a pass on that one.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

A lot of the Trump base will probably blame his RNC speech as the sabotage that started a downhill spiral. Kasich might come out looking better, but he really is not a strong candidate and will look terrible in the spotlight the moment he doesn't have a set of crazy people to look like the sane man in the room with.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Radish posted:

Yeah I admit it's not a valid fear.

Trump insulted his wife and dad so I kinda want to give him a pass on that one.

Cruz is 100% doing the right thing here, I just despise the man and it turns my stomach that he'll end up looking principled as a result of all of this. I'm not actually worried about his chances in 2020 or anything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Are you kidding? Trump quitting would make us see a blue electoral map. FDR-style. Any reasonable person with half a brain would basically be like "Ok the republicans clearly don't have their poo poo together". You'd see downticket races collapse on the republican side too. It'd be a disaster for them.

Let me reiterate they'd become a rump party in that instant.

Mostly, people who usually vote Republican would just not show up to vote if Trump goes full meltdown. This is what would kill Republican candidates up and down the ticket more than anything.

The trick would be getting Democratic voters to still turn out in numbers if it's obvious Hillary is going to win by a lot.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Mostly, people who usually vote Republican would just not show up to vote if Trump goes full meltdown. This is what would kill Republican candidates up and down the ticket more than anything.

The trick would be getting Democratic voters to still turn out in numbers if it's obvious Hillary is going to win by a lot.

Yeah, the Dems would need to respond with a huge GOTV effort based on taking as much of congress as possible.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FuzzySlippers posted:

At the current rate by the debates Trump's campaign might just consist of him sitting around writing angry tweets with no staff.

I don't see much of a chance Trump gives up his candidacy though. I think he rides that fucker down to the end Slim Pickens style. The Republicans can try to remove him but no way that ends up with them getting in a new candidate and then winning in Nov.

The GOP rules contain no provision for expulsion of a nominee, so that's not something the RNC can do. Theoretically they could reconvene the Convention, but even then, they aren't explicitly given that authority in the rules, which means arguably they don't have it. The only authority the RNC has to reselect a nominee is if their current candidate dies or quits.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Paradoxish posted:

Cruz is 100% doing the right thing here, I just despise the man and it turns my stomach that he'll end up looking principled as a result of all of this. I'm not actually worried about his chances in 2020 or anything.

Cruz is going to be so smug that he will spontaneously explode.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TyrantWD posted:

Cruz is going to be so smug that he will spontaneously explode.

Sweet.

Oh you mean figuratively :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

The GOP needs someone to make a stupid, short-sighted decision?

I wonder who would?

Oh my god.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How has all of this happened in 24 loving hours

He mocked a baby, dissed a prime swing state, disparaged a deceased veteran's family AGAIN, and his campaign staff are playing Russian Roulette with ever-more chambers filled

24 hours

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Oxxidation posted:

He mocked a baby, dissed a prime swing state, disparaged a deceased veteran's family AGAIN, and his campaign staff are playing Russian Roulette with ever-more chambers filled

24 hours

Don't forget "trivialized the Purple Heart" in with all of this!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Riptor posted:

you can't remember 3 names?

What rhymes with Alison Lundergan Grimes?

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Oxxidation posted:

24 hours

Now I want to see a documentary about this campaign in the style of :twentyfour:

I NEED THAT TWEET SENT NOW CHLOE!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

What's that quote about polls being devastatingly accurate?

Kobayashi posted:

Words can't express how much I want to see Trump and his idiotic true believer followers annihilated in a 50-state sweep. I want Democrats at all levels to run up the score so obscenely that Hillary rides into office with both houses of Congress at her back. I want her to spend mid-September onward as shadow president, ensuring the smoothest transition of administrations in modern history. I want her to ram through every goddamn milquetoast proposal the Democratic party can muster ahead of 2018. I want her to rule over with ruthless technocratic competence, and for 2016 to go down in history as the price old, white idiots pay for flying too close to the idiot sun. What a time to be alive.

I want to believe, but then we're pinning the hopes and dreams of the nation on Chuck Schumer running the Senate like his name is Harry Reid.

Mahoning posted:

It should be pretty easy to convince people to turn out to dunk on Trump when Hillary is providing a nice trampoline so they can get some really sweet ones in.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like the only proper way to cap off this cycle is for Cruz to make the rounds and :smug: all over America about are troops. I don't think I'd ever stop laughing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

24 hours

We really need a schedule, because every day since the DNC has been non-stop turbo-idiocy in every way. Like there's been at least 3 controversies loving daily.

At least it does pinpoint the exact time when Manafort gave up, let Trump have free reign and started drinking non-stop: pretty much right after the DNC

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

24 hours

Once, Trump was happy to get one shot of attention per day. It played nicely with the news cycle so it seemed like an actual strategy. Now, his tolerance is rising and he can no longer pace his hits - every day is more controversial than the last, like a heroin addict accelerating to spending thousands of dollars per week and continuing to accelerate until they're entirely out of money.

I have to admit I thought Prester Jane's analysis of Trump was trying a little too hard to fit Trump into clinical narcissism. I have no doubt in her analysis after the last few days, though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

edit: double post

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oxxidation posted:

24 hours

We go live to Hillary's campaign headquarters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

moroboshi posted:

So Trump, who needs to win PA... Insults a city in PA?

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/760623911113490432

Like I've said before, Trump isn't winning PA. This is just him making sure of it. :v:

Blorange posted:

When do we get to the point where Trump's campaign is so bad it's actively harmful for Hillary? If he limps to the finish line she'll win in a landslide, but if things implode in August there's still some time for Republicans to rally around a backup.

No they can't. Replacing the party's nominee would make the party look like a complete joke and cause tons of damage even before you address the fact that you'd risk alienating a lot of your voters, especially Trump supporting primary voters. Replacing Trump would put the House at greater risk than Trump himself likely could because you'd risk a schism in the party. No, the GOP is handcuffed to this orange timebomb.

:lol: if anyone thinks Trump would let himself be replaced. He'll ride this wagon right off the cliff and if we're lucky he'll get crushed so badly that the few remaining assholes who are willing to do business with him will bail and the Trump name will be as empty and worthless as he is.

Eifert Posting posted:

If that's the case give David back. :smith:

Cleveland sucks in every timeline. :smuggo:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dexo posted:

We go live to Hillary's campaign headquarters.

On the way to lunch, earlier:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe we can get Trump to publically beef with Harambe.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Yinlock posted:

We really need a schedule, because every day since the DNC has been non-stop turbo-idiocy in every way. Like there's been at least 3 controversies loving daily.

At least it does pinpoint the exact time when Manafort gave up, let Trump have free reign and started drinking non-stop: pretty much right after the DNC

There have been some good daily recaps in the trump thread. We really need to collect those and put them somewhere because this is going to be the worst campaign any of us ever see in our lifetimes and it needs to be preserved.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
So is Trump going to court?

Because

Reuters posted:

A U.S. judge on Tuesday rejected Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's pretrial bid to throw out a lawsuit brought by Trump University students who said they were defrauded by its real-estate seminars.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-university-idUSKCN10D2O8

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kobayashi posted:

Words can't express how much I want to see Trump and his idiotic true believer followers annihilated in a 50-state sweep. I want Democrats at all levels to run up the score so obscenely that Hillary rides into office with both houses of Congress at her back. I want her to spend mid-September onward as shadow president, ensuring the smoothest transition of administrations in modern history. I want her to ram through every goddamn milquetoast proposal the Democratic party can muster ahead of 2018. I want her to rule over with ruthless technocratic competence, and for 2016 to go down in history as the price old, white idiots pay for flying too close to the idiot sun. What a time to be alive.

I would like all of this with a side of fries, please.

And a Coke Zero. Make it a large.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

It's really impressive in an idiotic sort of way. Trump had a pretty clear roadmap going forward following that goddamn facist rally he put on in his acceptance speech - I don't know if it would win him the election, but it would give him a shot. I wasn't expecting him to abandon that roadmap on literally the first day of the general election.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

quote:

Trump's lawyers claimed that references in marketing materials to "secrets," "hand-picked" instructors or "university" were sales "puffery" and there was no evidence Trump intended to defraud students.

We made up a bunch of bullshit and used it to market this scam but it's not like we intended to defraud them. :downs:

I hope Trump's tax returns can be subpoenaed for this court case and then made public record afterwards.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I'm super late, but the reason I thought McCain was responsible for Forrestal is because my mom was in the Navy in mechanical repair, and she had told me when she was trained, that when she learned about the Forrestal they told her McCain was in the plane that misfired its rocket, not the one that was hit, and further implied that it had misfired because of pilot error, not mechanical failure.

I retract what I said as having been proven wrong. :saddowns:

Edit: But that said, still gently caress John McCain, because his political opinions are cancer.

Edit 2:

quote:

A special note is in order here. We have seen some baseless claims that McCain was somehow responsible for the Forrestal disaster. One incorrect but widely quoted theory has him triggering the Zuni missile with the exhaust of his own plane by "wet-starting" – deliberately dumping fuel into the afterburner before starting in order to shoot a large flame from the tail of the aircraft. This is a preposterous notion. For one thing, A-4 jets flew at subsonic speeds and were not equipped with afterburners. According to the Military Analysis Network site maintained by the Federation of American Scientists, the A-4 was powered by a "Single, Pratt & Whitney, J-52-P-408A non-afterburning, turbojet engine." The manufacturer's description of the aircraft also describes the powerplant as "One 11,187-pound-thrust P&W J52-P408 engine," with no mention of an afterburner.

And while pilots tell us that a “wet start” is possible even without an afterburner, the theory fails for another reason. The tail of McCain's plane was pointed over the side of the carrier and away from other planes at the time, and the F4 Phantom fighter that fired the missile was facing McCain's plane from the opposite side of the deck, as shown in Caiella’s diagram, in other diagrams, and in Navy film of the fire.

This bogus theory appears to have gotten its start from a report by New York Times reporter R. W. Apple. Jr, who reported on July 31, 1967 – two days after the fire – that the Forrestal’s captain, John K. Beling, believed an “extreme wet start” had created “a thick tongue of flame” that set off the Zuni. Beling did not identify McCain’s plane as the source, however, and said only that the aircraft was “parked near the carrier’s island,” which would have put it far forward and on the opposite side of the flight deck from where McCain’s plane was getting ready to launch. Not usually noted by the conspiracy theorists is that Capt. Beling “repeatedly said that he had been unable fully to sort out the conflicting reports” that circulated on the 5,000-man vessel in the hours after the fire, according to Apple, who also called the wet-start theory “tentative.” In any case, Beling’s early theory was soon dismissed by Navy investigators, who found that the Zuni had been touched off by a stray electrical charge, not by a jet exhaust. Author Freeman summarizes the findings succinctly in in "Sailors to the End:"

This is from the link someone posted, and actually might have been what she was talking about. I don't really remember, all I do know is she told me she was told/implied to that it was his fault. I didn't really understand at the time, because it was when McCain was running for President.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 3, 2016

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Another billionaire coming out against Trump, and hard

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/760661422456107008

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/760661718833987584

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Right, even if they can replace Trump, no one who thinks they have any chance at all in 2020/2024 is going to bite the bullet on being his replacement.

That's been their problem this whole time. Republican politicians had multiple chances to stop Trump by cooperating but that would mean putting aside their own egos and ambitions temporarily for the good of the party, the country, and their own long-term interests so nope they just mashed the "betray" button for 7 straight months, counting on someone else to fall on that grenade and leave them standing.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Even if they got Trump to quit, the Republicans are forever going to be remembered as the party that nominated Trump and was unwilling to disown him in the face of his unambiguous idiocy. The fact that his campaign is run exactly as hollow as his other con jobs just makes the GOP look that much more pathetic for losing to it in the first place.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

That's been their problem this whole time. Republican politicians had multiple chances to stop Trump by cooperating but that would mean putting aside their own egos and ambitions temporarily for the good of the party, the country, and their own long-term interests so nope they just mashed the "betray" button for 7 straight months, counting on someone else to fall on that grenade and leave them standing.
They're just working government like they work the private sector, when you think about it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Sarcastro posted:

Don't forget "trivialized the Purple Heart" in with all of this!

And sewed more discord with party leaders.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TVarmy posted:

If Trump is firing so many people in his campaign, doesn't that mean a lot of sudden late hires? And don't they need to be brought on board quickly?

So they bring on poorly vetted people and presumably get them email passwords and internal documents right away. Does this mean we're likely to get some fascinating leaks?

In an undisclosed embassay...

Julian closed his computer. It was done. He had hacked the DNC. The files were in transit to Moscow and soon they would be released to the world, sending the election into chaos. Everything was going according to plan. Then, the phone.

"Yeah?"
"You know who it is. Look kid, the timetable here is getting a bit screwy, The Boss wants us to move things up."
"Move things up?"
"Yeah, turns out Our Mutual Friend is hard to control. Can't stay on script, it's really a problem. There's a new plan in place now."
"Okay, so when are they going out?"
"Tomorrow. And by this time next month you're going to have a new identity. And a new face. Again."
"What do you mean?"
"Julian...the situation has changed. We're cutting Our Mutual Friend lose. He's been blacklisted. We need you to help put the last nail in the coffin. We're going to need you in the campaign. We're going to need you on the ground. We need those documents. You know the ones, the ones you couriered between The Boss and Our Mutual Friend. The "Insurance Policy." Are you ready to make America Great Again?"

That phrase. The codeword. He swallowed and looked at the photo he kept by his makeshift bed. All of this, all he had sacrificed, the years in the embassy, it was all worth it if he could keep the promise he had made. If he could prove his worth. He grimaced.

"Yes, sir. Ready."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

what is ag group in this context, attorney general or agricultural

• Locked thread