Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

When can I buy this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

BetterLekNextTime posted:

When can I buy this?

I dunno, next summer maybe. I'll be starting to roll out internal friends and family Testflight like next week though. Don't spam the poor roguelike thread for it though. I'll probably put out asks in the Caves of Qud thread or @unormal on twitter occasionally for new inductions.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Unormal posted:

I dunno, next summer maybe. I'll be starting to roll out internal friends and family Testflight like next week though. Don't spam the poor roguelike thread for it though. I'll probably put out asks in the Caves of Qud thread or @unormal on twitter occasionally for new inductions.

We wouldn't have to spam the thread if you gave us internal friends copies, thats all on you. What, I'm not your friend? :(

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Friend of mine who worked on The Pit sent me a key after I we were discussing general Roguelike stuff. I tried it out for a while, wasn't too bad actually. The crafting I have no idea how to proceed in, but hasn't held me back so far. Still on my first guy, a Marine on Normal difficulty. Haven't consulted any guides or anything on Skill ups but doesn't feel overwhelming so far. Got to lvl 12 so far. The durability complaint seems overstated; I haven't had a single thing go under even 50% durability that I actually needed to survive, and when they got close I just used one of the in game durability fixing thingers on them. One thing I feel will eventually kill me is being a marine I suck at opening boxes/repairing ammo dispensers, so I bet as the monsters ramp up in toughness I'll run out of ammo/grenades/other consumables and be stuck in a spot. Probably should also look up crafting recipes, but I told myself I'd do the first couple runs spoiler free. Have realized I should have been paying more attention to the decryption skill though for recipe access.

I like all the monster assets, they're kind of a sci-fi cartoony that reminds me of 1980s board games like The Awful Green Things from Outer Space (hah! who else here is old enough to remember that one). One thing is that (so far) the levels seem a bit simplistic. I like the badging of the room types, especially when you're messed up and have to run back to a medical room, you can find it pretty quickly. And even each room being themed feels neat, like each one is a mini vault, and it does cut down on the feeling of wasted space other games have. But that said, most combat seems to be resolved in and around doors as they open, and there's not as much tactical chokepointing and maneuvering like say, DCSS. That also might be because I've chosen a fairly straightforward combat class, but the wide layout of hallways, and the (x) moves per turn system (as opposed to a nethack style 1 player turn = 1 monster turn, usually) don't seem to reward tactical positioning, or if it does you've got to soak some damage to do it.

I think what could save it is evolving combat methods and tilesets/level organization in future. I've only found one skill gated weapon so far (a laser rifle) that I was already overskilled to use, and it was a big damage upgrade. As long as those bumps keep coming to combat the ever-rising monster difficulty, and I never get stuck in what feels like an "unfair" dead end (e.g. no ammo, not enough skill to use better weapons, can only proceed with arcane crafting, etc.) it should be pretty good. I do like the Marine's flexibility weapon wise; I started out knifing everything because I wanted to save ammo, and for the most part it worked. However while the ranged weapon drops have pointed to a relatively robust weapon tree, I'm not seeing the same thing with melee drops. The closest are these weird low durability daggers I keep finding.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

See I can't stand that. I like games that hold up to being played even after they've been completely documented and mapped out and studied with nearly academic rigor, and you can't tell if you're playing that kind of game until after the fact.

I'm right there with you brother. I get very little time to game, but unlimited time to pour through wikis. I like being prepared when I play a higher stakes game like this. But DRtC just released last week, so I'm not sweating it.

I'm kinda looking forward to the next session specifically so I can go all autistic crazy man and document what I found.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
DRtC Report:

Still enjoying the game, but the RNG can really be unpleasant sometimes. Was having a really good run, when a string of bad events basically killed me off from near full health

2 injury events with no options, followed by a MASSIVE! Siege and that was the end of me. Can really be frustrating to just die without much of a chance of doing anything about it

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Made it to day 8 of DRtC after losing my initial two survivors during a massive siege. The other two were left almost dead and were finished off when they sassed the wrong person and got shot to death. But at least they all got to use :pcgaming: TOILET PAPER :pcgaming: one last time before the end.

Verdict: game owns.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
My last run ended 1 day from the border because ???/jason ran out of people to kill, got bored and hosed off (character spoiler), a++ would recruit again. Chainsaw may cost fuel but it's great for plowing your way to the exit during a siege.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again: in DRtC, the Canadian border is an absolute nightmarish clusterfuck of repeated sieges - if you're tough enough to get there you might be tough enough to break through, but you will want a loving massive stockpile of bullets and some very fit survivors. I strongly recommend a survivor with a good shotgun and a high firearms skill, as the combination of the two lets you frantically chew up massive amounts of zombies in a real hurry, which you're definitely going to need to do at least once before the end. Also make sure everyone has a decent, non-breakable melee weapon that they can swing fast and that won't tire them out quickly. Aluminum bats are great because they almost always cause knockdown, aren't enormously heavy, and never break. Sledgehammers are horrifyingly good on a survivor with max or almost-max Strength and Fitness, but on basically anyone else they're practically a death sentence thanks to their weight and exhaustion. But if you do have a swolebeast fitness demon, holy gently caress, a sledge will let you knock down mobs of zombies like Sauron at the start of the LotR movies.

I think there are three or four giant sieges in a row, with one or two opportunities to patch wounds and stock up on ammo in between. The final battle is a little unclear; once you see the Canadian border itself (not the bridge, the actual land border, it's pretty unmistakable), plant your feet directly on it and stand your ground. Your Canadian friends at the border will help you fight, but you'll still have to slug it out with a pretty huge horde for a short time before the winds of fortune turn in your favour. Once it happens - and you'll instantly know what "it" is, I'm not going to spoil it because holy poo poo - just pick off any zombies that come your way and watch as the rest evaporate into a fine red mist. Congratulations, you've won.

That unexpected cameo at the very end though. :allears:

Klaus Kinski posted:

My last run ended 1 day from the border because ???/jason ran out of people to kill, got bored and hosed off (character spoiler), a++ would recruit again.

Some of the unique characters are pretty hilarious. Almost all of them have some kind of hidden drawback in exchange for being really powerful; the ren faire fencer lady is deadly as gently caress with her rapier and can fight practically forever, but she yells her fool head off the whole time and riles up the zombies. Probably the nastiest unique-character drawbacks are the one you discovered, The Last Bodybuilder being unable to attack because he just grunts and flexes at the zombies instead, and that one anime magical girl who becomes more and more anime before finally exploding without warning, instantly dying and dealing severe damage to your entire party.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 2, 2016

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I noticed your altl UI and figured this was coming. Though now I use the alternate (with the OSB turned off) and I think I like it more than the sidebar due to the fact its much smaller and out of the way.

Is it possible to do UI modding on the workshop?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Bought Death Road to Canada yesterday. Eventually had a run where I recruited a dog named Morgan. All the other humans die in a supply raid and I am resigned to another game over. But then, Morgan picks up the keys with his paws, puts them in the ignition, and continues the trip toward Canada. While this dog is driving a prius toward the Canadian border he picks up another dog, Kerri. You would assume all dogs are brave and good souls. You would be wrong, as I discovered that Kerri had the option to steal from traders and is a total grump who constantly complains.

These two dogs make it to the Canadian border but die in the final siege, because dogs can't wield weapons and the number of zombies got way too big to kite. RIP Morgan and Kerri :(

Game owns

Zikan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 2, 2016

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Unormal posted:

I bought a lovely 10-key dongle for my surface book so I could crack at it, but if I could just pop off the tablet and play direct that'd be even better.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cephalocidal posted:

I bought a lovely 10-key dongle for my surface book so I could crack at it, but if I could just pop off the tablet and play direct that'd be even better.

Flip on all the overlay UI toggles in options, it's totally playable via touch; though some of the UI isn't fully converted yet and needs the directional overlay buttons to navigate.

Cerepol posted:

Is it possible to do UI modding on the workshop?

No, not really at the moment. The UI is all Unity side and isn't particularly easy to expose to modders. Might be possible before release, though.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Unormal posted:

Flip on all the overlay UI toggles in options, it's totally playable via touch; though some of the UI isn't fully converted yet and needs the directional overlay buttons to navigate.

No, not really at the moment. The UI is all Unity side and isn't particularly easy to expose to modders. Might be possible before release, though.

Oh nice, title screen change and everything.

Edit: Nope, still too rough for my tastes. Might have issues with the 10-input screen.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 2, 2016

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cephalocidal posted:

Oh nice, title screen change and everything.

Edit: Nope, still too rough for my tastes. Might have issues with the 10-input screen.

I still have a year of work left on it at least, so it's still super rough around the edges. It's fully playable now, but that's as high as the bar is so far.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Unormal posted:

I still have a year of work left on it at least, so it's still super rough around the edges. It's fully playable now, but that's as high as the bar is so far.

Well, you've already got my support so I'll just keep pokin' at it once every month or two 'til it gets transit-happy.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

Chainsaw may cost fuel but it's great for plowing your way to the exit during a siege.

I got the chainsaw, took it into a siege full of fuel, and tried to start it like 20 times unsuccessfully, then died because I had really expected it to do something for me.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Any idea if the talks at that Roguelike Club event are going to be recorded? I tweeted at the organizer but haven't gotten a response. I want to hear nearly every talk there.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I got the chainsaw, took it into a siege full of fuel, and tried to start it like 20 times unsuccessfully, then died because I had really expected it to do something for me.

Did you hold the attack button? It has a windup time of a second or so.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

Any idea if the talks at that Roguelike Club event are going to be recorded? I tweeted at the organizer but haven't gotten a response. I want to hear nearly every talk there.

:same:

Don't think I can make it this September but I'd love to hear all the talks.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Bought Death Road to Canada based on the commentary going on here, and I'm enjoying it so far. Made it 3 days out from Canada with one person out of four surviving a siege gone wrong, where I got myself backed into a corner and ran out of ammo on everyone. My last guy limps to the car, starts driving, then finds out that a bee flew in. He swats at it, gets stung, and dies :downs:

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again: in DRtC, the Canadian border is an absolute nightmarish clusterfuck of repeated sieges - if you're tough enough to get there you might be tough enough to break through, but you will want a loving massive stockpile of bullets and some very fit survivors. I strongly recommend a survivor with a good shotgun and a high firearms skill, as the combination of the two lets you frantically chew up massive amounts of zombies in a real hurry, which you're definitely going to need to do at least once before the end. Also make sure everyone has a decent, non-breakable melee weapon that they can swing fast and that won't tire them out quickly. Aluminum bats are great because they almost always cause knockdown, aren't enormously heavy, and never break. Sledgehammers are horrifyingly good on a survivor with max or almost-max Strength and Fitness, but on basically anyone else they're practically a death sentence thanks to their weight and exhaustion. But if you do have a swolebeast fitness demon, holy gently caress, a sledge will let you knock down mobs of zombies like Sauron at the start of the LotR movies.

I think there are three or four giant sieges in a row, with one or two opportunities to patch wounds and stock up on ammo in between. The final battle is a little unclear; once you see the Canadian border itself (not the bridge, the actual land border, it's pretty unmistakable), plant your feet directly on it and stand your ground. Your Canadian friends at the border will help you fight, but you'll still have to slug it out with a pretty huge horde for a short time before the winds of fortune turn in your favour. Once it happens - and you'll instantly know what "it" is, I'm not going to spoil it because holy poo poo - just pick off any zombies that come your way and watch as the rest evaporate into a fine red mist. Congratulations, you've won.

That unexpected cameo at the very end though. :allears:

Some of the unique characters are pretty hilarious. Almost all of them have some kind of hidden drawback in exchange for being really powerful; the ren faire fencer lady is deadly as gently caress with her rapier and can fight practically forever, but she yells her fool head off the whole time and riles up the zombies. Probably the nastiest unique-character drawbacks are the one you discovered, The Last Bodybuilder being unable to attack because he just grunts and flexes at the zombies instead, and that one anime magical girl who becomes more and more anime before finally exploding without warning, instantly dying and dealing severe damage to your entire party.

God the anime girl is such a monster though. I've been trying to get through either of the extreme modes and getting her as your first party member when playing rare extreme is just like easy mode for the next few fights until you have to give her up. Still trying to figure out what her exact timer is though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Floodkiller posted:

Bought Death Road to Canada based on the commentary going on here, and I'm enjoying it so far. Made it 3 days out from Canada with one person out of four surviving a siege gone wrong, where I got myself backed into a corner and ran out of ammo on everyone. My last guy limps to the car, starts driving, then finds out that a bee flew in. He swats at it, gets stung, and dies :downs:

Should have told that bee to COOL IT.

I mean, the same thing would happen. But you would be cooler for it.
And maybe your character would die twice as sometimes happens to me!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Big Sean posted:

God the anime girl is such a monster though. I've been trying to get through either of the extreme modes and getting her as your first party member when playing rare extreme is just like easy mode for the next few fights until you have to give her up. Still trying to figure out what her exact timer is though.

Still about DRtC: The timer is kinda obvious. Especially in hindsight.

Everything is kinda hindsight, in a way. I knew the DSYP dude had 1hp going into that exploration mission. The one that was gonna feed my team. But I accidentally hit the space bar and I was controlling him alone. I got him eaten by a zombie, he deserved to go out not having shat his pants that day. So my two "Claims to have been a famous videogame streamers" survivors drove off. With a sad, but kinda funny, road trip story on the Death Road to Canada.

GOTY 10 years.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Indoor seiges are easier than outdoor as ling as you are strong enough. You can lead everything inside then hurl all the big stuff and them, then run in amd melee, then repeat till theyre all dead.

Also change position constantly indoors. You need to think ahead about where everything will be in 10 seconds.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

I believe so, @KawaiiDragoness on twitter is apparently going to be helming some sort of stream channel on twitch for this purpose whose exact name escapes me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

enigma74 posted:

Did you hold the attack button? It has a windup time of a second or so.

This applies to starting the car, too. It kinda seems like you should be mashing the button, but just pressing and holding it works better.

Floodkiller posted:

Playing DRtC game with custom characters based on yourself and your friends & family is a lot of fun. Case in point: my in-game version got stung by a bee, so my spouse's in-game version tried to treat the sting with medical supplies. Unfortunately we were both incredibly bad at first aid and somehow botched it so badly that I died :saddowns:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I keep wanting to pick up DRtC more and more based on posts in this thread. So good job, roguelike thread, you're selling me more games.

Actual content, albeit about a not-really-roguelike and a trip report from months ago: Death Skid Marks was just kind of obnoxious and unfun, sort of disappointing. Good concept, I thought. But I didn't enjoy the actual gameplay.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I keep wanting to pick up DRtC more and more based on posts in this thread. So good job, roguelike thread, you're selling me more games.

I was trying to hold off on buying this game but the posts in the thread are overwhelming, I'm pretty much obligated to buy it now.

Especially since I played Wasted and it was not for me at all. Just never clicked as fun for me.

Also what ever happened to the new thread with the amazing thread title I've now forgotten?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its where you're @

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Dr. Dos posted:

Yep, they will.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I believe so, @KawaiiDragoness on twitter is apparently going to be helming some sort of stream channel on twitch for this purpose whose exact name escapes me.
Dr. Dos is referring to the SF event, not this week's IRDC in NY :P. The latter will presumably be streamed to https://www.twitch.tv/roguelike_con

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will say it's very strange to be travelling twice in as many months to international rougelike events. What the heck, future.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Unormal posted:

I will say it's very strange to be travelling twice in as many months to international rougelike events. What the heck, future.

It is the cyberpunk dystopia we deserve. THE BEST CYBERPUNK DYSTOPIA

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I marvel at the fact that there are so many Roguelike events that I can now get them entirely confused!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/761087936037130241

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Shiren's in third place. :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've played 4 hours so far by Steam's clock; in that time I've completed two runs successfully (beating the boss on level 5, but the game makes it quite clear that there's more game to be unlocked) and died 7 times. Like most Arcen games, it has potential but is flawed. It's basically a twin-stick shooter / bullet hell / Binding of Isaac game. Unusually, it gives you a free hit in each room (your shield, which recharges between rooms), and you can actually upgrade that to 2 hits per room, which should be a hint as to how often you end up getting hit despite your best efforts. Whether that's down to bad skill, bad luck with enemy spawns, bad level design, or bad graphical design is hard to say. I will say that while I rarely found myself saying "what hit me?", the game gives me a headache after even moderately extended play. It's very shiny.

In short, I like it so far, but I can't play it for very long and I've been known to make bad decisions. But at $6 for the game (on sale), and I've gotten 4 hours of fun out of it? That's worthwhile in my book. The people in this thread who demand unlimited replayability from every game they buy would probably be disappointed though.

Biggest pet peeve: slow-firing weapons are vastly worse than fast-firing ones even with nominally-identical DPS due to how shot-blocking works and how tricky it is to aim precisely using an analog stick (maybe I'd be better off with keyboard+mouse, but dammit it's a twin-stick shooter). And new weapons are sufficiently rare that if you accidentally grab a bad weapon and then leave the level (so you can't backtrack to grab the old one), you can basically screw over the entire run.

If you do buy the game, the flamethrower mech, which starts with two shield layers and a very useful secondary weapon (as well as a fast-firing flamethrower, of course), is probably the easiest to start with. Look out for the sacrifice room item that gives you 50 energy per enemy kill, which is AFAICT The Best Item In The Game because it lets you spam secondaries with wild abandon. Normally their ammo is only replenished between rooms (like with the shield) and the flamethrower mech can therefore normally only fire its secondary once per room.

EDIT: re: backtracking, you have a sprint button that lets you blitz through rooms in a second or two. This is miles better than indie darling Binding of Isaac. I'll accept that hitboxes aren't super-clear, but at least on Normal I haven't had any trouble distinguishing between gaps I can fit through and ones that I can't.

My favorite innovation in Starward Rogue, hands down, is the SUPER HOT time-frozen mech. I hope the gimmick of "time only moves when you do" catches on in more environments.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shiren's in third place. :(

According to the Steam thread, it's likely because the two games ahead of it don't have English translations yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Floodkiller posted:

According to the Steam thread, it's likely because the two games ahead of it don't have English translations yet.

Oh, okay, that's fair I guess. I'd just like to buy Shiren after all the time I spent playing it on a SNES emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shiren is the only game on that list I've even heard of.