Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I need to put together a set of Perez art. It's always interesting to look up artists of gaming past, because these days any artist talented enough to be recognized in gaming is probably talented enough to do something else. DiTerlizzi does children's books, Perez went on to work for Marvel, Kevin Long went on to work for Raven on Quake IV...

... and then there's Cris Dornaus, who went on to do New Age coloring books. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'll post Pathfinder art
:shepface:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I need to put together a set of Perez art. It's always interesting to look up artists of gaming past, because these days any artist talented enough to be recognized in gaming is probably talented enough to do something else. DiTerlizzi does children's books, Perez went on to work for Marvel, Kevin Long went on to work for Raven on Quake IV...

... and then there's Cris Dornaus, who went on to do New Age coloring books. :raise:

Zeleznik early on got a huge payday as one of the designers for the classic San Jose Sharks logo, a staple of the 90s (Kings and Sharks most 90s hockey teams) so he can afford to do RPG art, although I have seen him do comics and video game art too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Huh! I remember the Sharks, they were the colors for a local gang where I went to high school. :ssh:

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
As a tangent to all this stuff, is there some reason Google+ seems like such a hotspot/flashpoint for the RPG industry? None of my other hobbies seem to engage with it much, and my general impression of it from elsewhere was just "that annoying crap that google keeps trying to get us to do when we use gmail or youtube". I know roll20 can use google hangouts (I think); is that the driver, or is there something else that makes it particularly useful for RPGs?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

One advantage of it is that it doesn't have that weird "It's public but it's only public if you already have a facebook account" thing. Something is either public, or shared with your circles, there isn't any overlap.

That and the ability to +tag people and draw them into drama even if they've got you blocked makes it really great for serial harrassers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Google+ makes it really easy to build a completely insular community with no unwanted outside input.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That too, unfortunately.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My friend who does my art has considered getting into that poo poo because it's a license to print money, apparently.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know this is going back to the first post, but one confusing thing is that most people I know into story games also like OSR games. Hell, I'm a big story gamer guy, but I'm in an AD&D game and like DCC. I don't get this false war between OSR games and story gamers that Mark claimed existed when its really just one guy being an absolute piece of poo poo and people who are aware giving him poo poo for being a terrible person.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Covok posted:

I know this is going back to the first post, but one confusing thing is that most people I know into story games also like OSR games. Hell, I'm a big story gamer guy, but I'm in an AD&D game and like DCC. I don't get this false war between OSR games and story gamers that Mark claimed existed when its really just one guy being an absolute piece of poo poo and people who are aware giving him poo poo for being a terrible person.

You could perhaps, charitably trace it back to RPG Pundit's long-standing war with any game after 1977 (that isn't also Amber). Dude's been peddling the OST vs Storygame narrative for a decade, ever since Blue Rose was released (if not before then). Pundowski latched on hardcore to "D&D causes brain damage" line that came out of Ron Edwards back in fuckin' 2006 and hasn't let it go.

He might not have started it but he's been the loudest voice when it comes to that nonsense.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 25, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Slimnoid posted:

You could perhaps, charitably trace it back to RPG Pundit's long-standing war with any game after 1977 (that isn't also Amber). Dude's been peddling the OST vs Storygame narrative for a decade, ever since Blue Rose was released (if not before then). Pundowski latched on hardcore to "D&D causes brain damage" line that came out of Ron Edwards back in fuckin' 2006 and hasn't let it go.

He might not have started it but he's been the loudest voice when it comes to that nonsense.

Edwards wasn't talking about D&D, he was specifically talking about the Storyteller system and other 90s games that purported to focus on the narrative of a game while actually being dense combat simulators that mostly took the previously established rules and fluffed them up with new terminology. Pundit hates the White Wolf/Onxy Path games, too, afaik but he also hated Forgeist theory even more. You can extrapolate it to talk about how similar D&D conceits have warped our own expectations of what RPGs should be, but (on a personal level) I'd still say let's not use language that's derived from Ron Edwards comparing bad RPGs to child molestation.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 2, 2016

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Edwards really said that the way WoD games (and forgotten stuff, like certain Champions supplements) pushed themselves as storytelling games but were traditionally crunchy did harm to the ability of role players to grasp how narrative RPGs work. D&D didn't even come up, if I recall correctly. Of course he couched it in bellicose and ableist terms, and wasn't perfectly clear about it, which is where the disconnect comes from.

I think D&D's worst crimes in that department are the ubiquitous online alignment charts and "What class is pop culture character????" debates but even then it's grating but harmless nerd cargo cult poo poo. Or maybe "D&D but classless!" design sense that some still think is fresh. Edwards covered that in his heartbreaker article too.

efb

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 3, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

2nd edition AD&D had a major tonal issue where the text told you to play interesting characters with dreams and plans and motivations, but the rules made you less survivable than you were in 1st edition AD&D.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having just finished a big art direction project, I feel like an art thread would be really cool.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Is the Hot Modrons thread dead?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Nuns with Guns posted:

Edwards wasn't talking about D&D, he was specifically talking about the Storyteller system and other 90s games that purported to focus on the narrative of a game while actually being dense combat simulators that mostly took the previously established rules and fluffed them up with new terminology. Pundit hates the White Wolf/Onxy Path games, too, afaik but he also hated Forgeist theory even more. You can extrapolate it to talk about how similar D&D conceits have warped our own expectations of what RPGs should be, but (on a personal level) I'd still say let's not use language that's derived from Ron Edwards comparing bad RPGs to child molestation.

Lightning Lord posted:

Edwards really said that the way WoD games (and forgotten stuff, like certain Champions supplements) pushed themselves as storytelling games but were traditionally crunchy did harm to the ability of role players to grasp how narrative RPGs work. D&D didn't even come up, if I recall correctly. Of course he couched it in bellicose and ableist terms, and wasn't perfectly clear about it, which is where the disconnect comes from.

Yeah, I misremembered that one. My bad. Admittedly I don't really listen to anything Ron says because I don't really give a flying gently caress about both his theories and his games, so easy mistake on my part.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

remusclaw posted:

Is the Hot Modrons thread dead?

You'll get a pretty quick response if you have a request, a lot of people follow it but have nothing new to show.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah, I misremembered that one. My bad. Admittedly I don't really listen to anything Ron says because I don't really give a flying gently caress about both his theories and his games, so easy mistake on my part.

It's really only Ron Edwards and RPGPundit that are heavily invested into keeping this whole feud alive. Probably because it's the only thing that gives them a public identity anymore.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

Honestly, there really isn't one, which is what made Mark's post so pathetic. He threw his friend under the bus and crowed and danced around to defend Zak in order to be the Smart Rational Adult in a conflict that doesn't exist.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's really only Ron Edwards and RPGPundit that are heavily invested into keeping this whole feud alive. Probably because it's the only thing that gives them a public identity anymore.
Ron has brought it up a handful of times, but mostly he does his own thing, which seems to be a mixture of old school sword and sorcery and superhero comics stuff lately. Pundit has definitely written a lot more about Ron than Ron has about him, and even Pundit has had to move on to other people to rail against in his dumb imaginary crusade against variety in RPGs.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 25, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I had fun once with the Rules Cyclopedia

it was awful

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite game is made by a dude who wanted to try and prove the OSR isn't all lovely retroclones http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/john-higgins/retro-phaze-ebook/ebook/product-21032590.html and it's free

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I'm pretty sure a bunch of people here who think that Zak S is an rear end in a top hat and that Lamentations of the Flame Princess is overhyped trash could easily come up with a list of retroclones and OSR-related stuff that's actually decent, the idea that there are hardline ideological lines between storygamers and OSR-ers is a pretty flimsy premise to use as the foundation of an impassioned call for solidarity, even if you discount bits about said essay being used as a vehicle to pillory a supposed friend in the court of public opinion and go to bat for a serial harasser in the process.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I mostly just feel like I already did my time with AD&D when I was young. It was always "that old game I played before I discovered better games" and though I still find it interesting I don't feel a real draw for it - or, by extension, the OSR. To me it just feels like driving a Model T or programming on a C64 or listening to vinyl. You may be developing really, really cool games for the C64, don't get me wrong, but it'll be a hurdle for me to dial back my brain to give them an honest go.

To me old versions of D&D are basically "old technology" and that's where the divide for me is. I find it very interesting in terms of history and design but don't feel any need to play them again. That's not to say I don't think it's kind of cool that vinyl records exist, but I'm not the kind of person that's going to be paying money for them. Granted, that's not quite fair, and some of them have improvements of the modern age of roleplaying, but they're still inevitably built on legacy mechanics I don't have a world of interest in.

But I don't really hate the movement, I just find it kind of disinteresting. I'd easily play those games as well as any other, but I'm a lot less likely to seek them out.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Also, Larry MacDougall did art for it. That guy rules. I really should start an RPG art thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605440

I thought we already had one?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

That's a perfectly reasonable stance to take. I never really put much stock in "the OSR movement" because it predicates that those games are special beyond their chronological and cultural significance.

The way I see it, trying to do "OD&D Superheroes" or "OD&D Martian Pulp Fantasy" or "Basic D&D Gothic Horror" is really not so much different than using d20 to make d20 Modern, d20 Mutants and Masterminds and d20 Call of Cthulhu, or using GUMSHOE to make Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents and Lorefinder. And that covers about half the OSR.

The other half of the OSR, which is making "restatements" of the old D&D versions to begin with, has been obsoleted by WOTC finally putting all the old editions back as official PDFs again. The most I will grant is that the official PDFs were only very recently (as in this year) completed, and that there's maybe some utility to Labyrinth Lord if you really want it in print.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I mostly just feel like I already did my time with AD&D when I was young. It was always "that old game I played before I discovered better games" and though I still find it interesting I don't feel a real draw for it - or, by extension, the OSR. To me it just feels like driving a Model T or programming on a C64 or listening to vinyl. You may be developing really, really cool games for the C64, don't get me wrong, but it'll be a hurdle for me to dial back my brain to give them an honest go.

To me old versions of D&D are basically "old technology" and that's where the divide for me is. I find it very interesting in terms of history and design but don't feel any need to play them again. That's not to say I don't think it's kind of cool that vinyl records exist, but I'm not the kind of person that's going to be paying money for them. Granted, that's not quite fair, and some of them have improvements of the modern age of roleplaying, but they're still inevitably built on legacy mechanics I don't have a world of interest in.

But I don't really hate the movement, I just find it kind of disinteresting. I'd easily play those games as well as any other, but I'm a lot less likely to seek them out.

That's all fine, I might not agree 100% but it's just elfgames. Anyone who reads this and mentally amends "and therefore anyone who is running In Search of the Unknown in BX at GenCon on Friday probably boils kittens in their kitchen" is an idiot.

For myself I've always been into retro gaming, etc. I was using boot disks to play Ultima 7 on my dad's Pentium II, reading 70s comics from the flea market, stuff like that. So it aligns with my interests anyway,and I'm the type of dude who likes sifting around for old cool stuff. With RPGs, there's an added element of being able to play stuff now that I couldn't back in the day. Yeah, The One Ring is certainly the finest Tolkien game to date. But I'd like to give MERP a spin regardless. Especially in light of 2e being the game, everyone would play, with brief forays into the latest edition of Shadowrun, Vampire or rarely Call of Cthulhu when I was a kid. Hell, those brief games were like pulling teeth to,get going. To use your metaphor, most of the time it's not like owning a Model T as your daily car used to go to work and back, but taking one for a test drive.

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's a perfectly reasonable stance to take. I never really put much stock in "the OSR movement" because it predicates that those games are special beyond their chronological and cultural significance.

The way I see it, trying to do "OD&D Superheroes" or "OD&D Martian Pulp Fantasy" or "Basic D&D Gothic Horror" is really not so much different than using d20 to make d20 Modern, d20 Mutants and Masterminds and d20 Call of Cthulhu, or using GUMSHOE to make Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents and Lorefinder. And that covers about half the OSR.

The other half of the OSR, which is making "restatements" of the old D&D versions to begin with, has been obsoleted by WOTC finally putting all the old editions back as official PDFs again. The most I will grant is that the official PDFs were only very recently (as in this year) completed, and that there's maybe some utility to Labyrinth Lord if you really want it in print.

I like some of the games and products that have come out of it, but I don't give two dead and buried fucks about the OSR as a movement or the buttheads who try to use it as a cult of personality or a weirdo personal army. In fact I'm actively hostile towards them. But I can dip into some forum or whatever that uses it as label, to talk about overlooked Judges Guild adventures or if all those early and forgotten weird competitors to D&D ike Swordbearer or Man, Myth and Magic had any worthwhile ideas. To me that's more interesting than yet another self published retread of Keep on the Borderlands. But hey, I can probably do that here too. It's not really a defense either, just what practical use I've managed to glean out of it.

D&D is special, but so are plenty of other games. The most infuriating aspect of old school fandom is the atmosphere of fallen empire the more strident types want to cast over the hobby, trying to push the idea that things are grim because WotC. No son, it's more robust than ever, at least on the player side. You can pick whatever game you want and people will be there to play.

Some of the 1:1 clones are better organized and clearer. OSRIC, Swords & Wizardry, etc. Plus they enable home brewers to do stuff, so I wouldn't call them obsolete. Just not as essential as they used to be 5-8 years ago.

That's more of a request thread, I mean about art specifically made for RPGs and the artists who create it.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 3, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

For myself I've always been into retro gaming, etc. I was using boot disks to play Ultima 7 on my dad's Pentium II, reading 70s comics from the flea market, stuff like that. So it aligns with my interests anyway,and I'm the type of dude who likes sifting around for old cool stuff.

There's a difference between this attitude (correctly identifying older RPGs as "old technology," like ARB put it, and wanting to play them because it's interesting to see stuff that formative to the hobby) and the attitude exhibited by some of the more vocal OSR people that new things suck and only old things are good, because those old things are the things that they had before the arbitrary cutoff point where they decided minorities had too many rights and the world was bad. You get some of the exact same attitude with retro video games.

Unfortunately, the OSR as a "whole" doesn't take the time to excise that vocal minority for a variety of reasons (humans are bad at self-criticism, geek social fallacies abound) and the RPG industry on average is extra toxic, and so "the OSR movement" ends up being visibly defined by those people. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Apropos of nothing, but Rolemaster, MERP, and now even Phoenix Command are on my bucket list of RPGs that I want to run someday, because that level of detail sounds fascinating.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This very nicely sums up my overall feelings as well; I lived through the era that most OSR games are emulating, so while I can appreciate them on one level or another, I run into a mental block of "but I did this already years ago".

My main problem with the OSR idea as an idea is actually a problem I ran into with Dungeon World a while back; people working in that designspace focusing more on things like reimplementing core rules or making 500 new classes instead of emulating the Weird poo poo we had back then. Where's the new Temple of the Frog God? Or that old Basic book full of goody gnomish inventions? Where's the totally out-there campaign settings? I know they exist, but it seems like they tend to be in the minority.

That's not to say there aren't old-school games or products I seriously dig. I really like Into the Odd, Strange Stars (admittedly with the Fate rules), and I've been reading Shadows of the Demon Lord and I'm really liking that. And while I looked at Black Hack and my reaction was basically "wait, that's it?", I realized the other day that it's basically the OSR/retroclone version of Fate Accelerated: a game you can use as a framework for other games.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I wouldn't mind OSR as much if it was poo poo like emulating the sheer madness of Castle Greyhawk or Mystara instead of 'boring dungeon crawl #ad nauseum'

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Edwards wasn't talking about D&D, he was specifically talking about the Storyteller system and other 90s games that purported to focus on the narrative of a game while actually being dense combat simulators that mostly took the previously established rules and fluffed them up with new terminology.

Lightning Lord posted:

I think D&D's worst crimes in that department are the ubiquitous online alignment charts and "What class is pop culture character????" debates but even then it's grating but harmless nerd cargo cult poo poo. Or maybe "D&D but classless!" design sense that some still think is fresh. Edwards covered that in his heartbreaker article too.
Edwards took the Storyteller system to task principally in his "System Matters" essay. I think the "injured protagonism" he ranted about in that thread is a reference to some of the things he discussed in a Hard Look at Dungeons & Dragons. D&D wasn't just a single text, but a whole community of people interpreting, using, and talking about it in different ways at conventions and in newsletters as well as at their own tables. And they all brought different assumptions and expectations with them, depending on if they were an avid hex-and-counter wargamer, a student who comes to the game as a pulp fantasy reader, or maybe even one of the guys who were already freeform roleplaying in Tekumel. Yet somehow, according to Edwards, the assumed DM/PC relationship solidified into something very dysfunctional over the 80s and on into the 90s. You can see System Mastery ripping this apart in a lot of the old games they review.

Of course, he had to present that idea with analogies to handicapped people and prosthetics, because he's Ron Edwards. It's totally lovely, notwithstanding that there are a bunch of people who see that forum thread reply out of context, interpret it as "Ron Edwards said my favourite causes brain damage!" and throw temper tantrums.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 3, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, the language we use has changed a lot in 10 years and is only changing faster. I wouldn't focus too hard on the "brain damage" line.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

And while I looked at Black Hack and my reaction was basically "wait, that's it?", I realized the other day that it's basically the OSR/retroclone version of Fate Accelerated: a game you can use as a framework for other games.

I was already soured on the OSR as a community, but The Black Hack, which I even backed, was basically the last straw for me on OSR as a design space. For months and months the G+ OSR group was nothing but "The [noun/adjective] Hack" of people stapling their favorite houserules and settings onto a game that was already just comprised of "roll d20 under your attribute". Maybe I'm being the grognard here, but I couldn't believe how worked up people were getting over something that looked, to me at least, so very droll.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The OSR has been obviated by digital editions, reprints, and eBay. It seems really weird to me that cults and cliques are trying to recapture the "feel" of something that's currently readily available.

Like, I get Oldhammer - the aesthetic of 80's Games Workshop is tied to physical miniatures and smaller-run books that are way out of production.

But compare that to D&D, which only briefly dried up. I've mentioned this before, and I understand that it's a desire to play games that are similar to old games, but how is that a thing in 2016 when I can buy reprinted AD&D books from Barnes & Noble?

The whole thing comes across like hipster tribalism, with the emphasis more on delineating "us" from "them" than on making rad adventure games.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Kevin Crawford's stated position is basically "Well, I'm going to do something weird and/or fun but I want people to be able to drop in D&D monsters and run old adventures as painlessly as possible." which I guess is a design goal, and way more thought put into it than most people doing OSR stuff.

(...Though I am not sure how, for example, a group of Godbound would handle the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, since 'semi-divine murder-gods' are a weird set of protagonists for 'pirates doing a literal Scooby Doo gambit')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was already soured on the OSR as a community, but The Black Hack, which I even backed, was basically the last straw for me on OSR as a design space. For months and months the G+ OSR group was nothing but "The [noun/adjective] Hack" of people stapling their favorite houserules and settings onto a game that was already just comprised of "roll d20 under your attribute". Maybe I'm being the grognard here, but I couldn't believe how worked up people were getting over something that looked, to me at least, so very droll.

In fairness, this exact thing happened to Apocalypse World, too.

• Locked thread