Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FIRST TIME posted:

lol, Obama won the popular vote by 5 million. C'mon Trump. :rolleye:

Only if you dishonestly include illegal immigrants, multiple-voters, and liberals in the tally like the mainstream media does.

Romney won the popular vote of real Americans by a landslide, just as conservapedia predicted. Wait what thread is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
At some point in the past five days, articles have been posted with the following information:

(1) Clinton worked with, and her foundation has ties to, a company that also has done shady poo poo in the Middle East
(2) Trump has been financed by, repeatedly, Russian oligarchs or people closely related to them

I'll be damned if I'm going to go searching through 90 pages on my phone to find the two articles, but can anyone tell me what the distinction is between the two cases? Both involve guilt by association and claims of malfeasance due to possible continued financial ties to individuals/groups that are probably not friendly to US interests.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
American political figures having ties to companies doing shady poo poo in the middle east is just standard operating procedure I think.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

In the first case Lafarge, which is a French cement company, donated 50-100k to the Clinton Foundation at some point in its existence. Hillary used to be director of the board of the company in the 90s.

Between 2011 and 2013 this company paid bribe money to IS to continue running a cement factory in Syria. Apparently paying money to not have all your employees murdered and the plant abandoned (which eventually happened) constitutes "having ties to IS".

It's the stupidest loving controversy. The Clinton Cash truther people are unreal. The Clintons have enough immoral positions that you don't need to make up an extensive network of terrorist and corruption funding to attack them.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 3, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2016-08-02/3-examples-of-the-media-double-standard-with-trump-and-clinton

Lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

quote:

This is but one distortion; there are plenty more. Following the lead of the Democrats, the media are demanding Trump apologize to Khizr and Ghazala Khan, parents of a dead American soldier who spoke at the Democratic National Convention. Now, I'm not on any of the relevant email lists but I'm not exactly sure what it is he is supposed to apologize for. The Khans should have known they were being drawn into a political forum (one from which they now say they want to escape because they apparently don't like all the attention) and were opening themselves up to criticism – especially in the pointed nature of what Mr. Khan said in his speech. Trump certainly didn't attack them for being Muslim which, it almost goes without saying, would be wrong.

If the Khans occupy a rarified status because they lost a son in combat then how does one explain the treatment given Pat Smith and Charles Woods, parents who lost their sons in the massacre at Benghazi and who both claim Clinton lied to them, face to face? They are being excoriated for stepping into the political arena on Trump's behalf but, unlike the Khans, are not backing down under pressure.

"Attacking them for being Muslim is wrong, but attacking them for not wanting to drag their sons' memory through the Republican media train like filthy cowards is ok"

also about the author huh

quote:

He has been published widely and appears weekly on One America News

What is that? One [blank] is usually bad but I'll just google it and

quote:

OneAmerica is one of the fastest growing mutual insurance holding companies. The companies of OneAmerica provide financial education and life insurance

:lol:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

By these idiots logic doesn't the media being in for Hillary mean that she's better at making deals than Trump?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yinlock posted:

One American News is a conservative news channel owned by Herring Networks (according to Wikipedia! :eng101:)

Not quite as silly as an Insurance Company news program but exactly what you'd expect from something called One American News.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Yinlock posted:

"Attacking them for being Muslim is wrong, but attacking them for not wanting to drag their sons' memory through the Republican media train like filthy cowards is ok"

also about the author huh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Apparently OneAmerica is an even gurther right than Fox station that airs Trump rallies in full. How has yhis beautiful thing been missed for so long?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

they have a hypnotic zombie woman that reads their news

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

One American News is a conservative news channel owned by Herring Networks (according to Wikipedia! :eng101:)

Not quite as silly as an Insurance Company news program but exactly what you'd expect from something called One American News.

Oh, my bad. I wonder if there's at least any absurdity to be had th

quote:

Originally envisioned as a conservative news network,[2] OAN's stated focus is delivering a credible source of national and international news 24/7.[3]

OAN features political analysis programming and political talk shows, along with network special documentary-style reports; its news coverage attempts to maintain objectivity while its political shows illustrate a strong conservative view.

Emphasis mine, hahahaha. We've hit a rich vein of turds here. I wonder what we'll find.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

straight up brolic posted:

they have a hypnotic zombie woman that reads their news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLGQSgjp5t0

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

*mountain sized "WELP" flies over the horizon*

I forgot that Trump still has scores to settle within his own extremely-reluctant party, and what better time to start settling them than in the most turbulent time of his campaign?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope Trump has a joint rally with the tea partier. Wisconsin is a swing state in his mind, right?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Holy poo poo the Green Party have an honest to goodness well-produced, modern, slick, and easily-digestible Jill Stein ad running on Morning Joe now. What is going on?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cardboard Box A posted:

Holy poo poo the Green Party have an honest to goodness well-produced, modern, slick, and easily-digestible Jill Stein ad running on Morning Joe now. What is going on?

The GOP's presidential campaign isn't saturation bombing the airwaves because they have so little money so all kinds of weird poo poo can happen with airtime to fill in the vacuum.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Antti posted:

The GOP's presidential campaign isn't saturation bombing the airwaves because they have so little money so all kinds of weird poo poo can happen with airtime to fill in the vacuum.

I almost feel bad for the companies who rely on GOP adbuys during election cycles. They must be tearing their hair out in frustration at Trump's lack of ad spending.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-u-s-sent-400m-cash-to-iran-as-american-detainees-freed/

Looks like Trump gets a break from everyone making GBS threads on him for a day or two?

How big of a deal is this?I just woke up and haven't really thought too hard about it. Seems like it's gonna look bad at the very least.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I wouldn't think that "we gave Iran some of the money we said we were going to give them" would be much of a scandal but I'm probably wrong.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I think the ultimate danger that the GOP faces with giving up on Trump is not that he attacks them (he already does that) but instead that he continues his "rigged" talk about the election and even possibly tells people to stay home instead of voting.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a2t-42ny2c

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Also even the US gov couldn't get 400m cash together that quick. It was obviously something that was already happening, especially as everyone already knew it was happening before the soldiers got picked up. This is just some dumb poo poo stirring hack on Wall Street attention whoring by making accusations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I was put on probation for suggesting that Trump's election would lead to nuclear war.

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/760790261370753025

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Giving Iran 400 million dollars that we already owed them in the first place in exchange* for getting them to release prisoners that they were within their rights to originally arrest would seem to indicate that Obama knows how to make the best deals.

* I know it wasn't an exchange

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Republican leadership is going to start proceedings to dump him within the week.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Comstar posted:

Republican leadership is going to start proceedings to dump him within the week.

Source or speculation?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought they couldn't do that unless he died or stepped down. I guess the GOP has never been about following the rules though so maybe they just ignore that part.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ice Phisherman posted:

All right, I had a bet with a friend of mine Trump v. Clinton for a hundred bucks. This was months ago when I bet that Trump would blow up harder than the democrats could get in their own way. Normally we get along and it was his bet to put my money where my mouth was in regards to this election because I was telling him in no uncertain terms how bad of a train wreck would he would be. We talk politics constantly and while we disagree often about politics we're normally congenial which is weird in these days of echo chambers.

Would offering him to buy me out for twenty bucks and a six pack that we can share condescending? I really don't want to be condescending, but at this point when Trump is making fun of dead veterans, attacking their families, dissing babies, not supporting Ryan or McCain and generally being a loving mess everywhere I can't see him spinning this back in his favor. I'm not sure if any amount, big or small, of the dems tripping over their own dicks can sink this election for them.

Should I let it ride or have a hard talk about it?

Your friend wanted to get a taste of Trump University, and it's your duty as a friend to make sure he gets a far better education for his money than he could ever get from Trump.

I mean, if paying up is actually some level of hardship for him, obviously you let it go. But otherwise you take the money and you give him his Trump University diploma. Also a decent lunch or dinner to celebrate.

CelestialScribe posted:

I was put on probation for suggesting that Trump's election would lead to nuclear war.

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/760790261370753025

Jesus.

It's so rare that an entire panel of talking heads all had the correct reaction to information at the same time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Comstar posted:

But now I have to Arzy because whoever replaces him will be seen as normal and beat Clinton easily!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Radish posted:

I thought they couldn't do that unless he died or stepped down.

Or is "otherwise" not available. Somewhere, someone is hatching a plan to kidnap Trump and stuff him in a closet long enough to nominate a new candidate.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I can't see the GOP getting remotely closer to winning the presidential race by dumping Trump at this point. Has this sort of thing even ever happened?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I can't see the GOP getting remotely closer to winning the presidential race by dumping Trump at this point. Has this sort of thing even ever happened?

It's not about winning the presidency anymore. It's ensuring western civilization continues.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

It's not about winning the presidency anymore. It's ensuring western civilization continues.

Can you get a doctor to prescribe you all of the Xanax?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

CelestialScribe posted:

:lol: Like that matters in a party that had Zodiac Killer as the no-poo poo runner up this round. I mean I guess at least he'd only destroy western democracy and not civilization.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

It's cool that the media has been complicit in propping up a guy they knew the whole time was a lunatic

Thanks for finally sharing all the poo poo you've been hearing for 9 months

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Nope. Even the one case where a candidate died it was after the actual election, and he'd lost anyway. (Caveat: some third party shenanigans might have happened, but no one gives a poo poo)

Doesn't the national convention determine the rules? Good luck reconvening the delegates and getting anything but scorn and doubling down heaped upon you. The RNC could probably do some poo poo to make it clear Trump has no chance of winning and try to pressure him to drop out, but you can imagine how well that would go.

I suspect this talk of replacing him is by people who don't actually understand how you can't do this, because no one's actually ever done it or even tried it. You can be a political operator or a campaign staffer without understanding how the process works in detail (that episode of Veep where they start googling to see what happens if the election's a tie rang very true to me).

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Can you get a doctor to prescribe you all of the Xanax?

The GOP candidate for president asked his foreign policy advisors why he can't use nuclear weapons.

If you're not worried, you should be.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/carter_pe/status/760549644350939136

Savage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
If Trump ever trash talks the Jews I think that might actually finish him off

• Locked thread