Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I can't see the GOP getting remotely closer to winning the presidential race by dumping Trump at this point. Has this sort of thing even ever happened?

The closest thing we've seen was probably 1968, where LBJ's decision to not run and RFK's assassination turned the DNC into such a shitshow that the party was hamstrung in the general.

And that was just a case of the presumptive nominee getting shifted around a bunch. It's difficult to imagine that the GOP could pull off changing the actual nominee after the convention is over and having that improve their chances.

It's also going to allow Trump to slam the party repeatedly for being cowards after he gets booted. They lose, and Trump can totally claim the historical counterfactual where he would have won instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Lid posted:

Apparently OneAmerica is an even gurther right than Fox station that airs Trump rallies in full. How has yhis beautiful thing been missed for so long?

I like to call them the Onannism network, since they're kind of high on their own supply.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Slate Action posted:

If Trump ever trash talks the Jews I think that might actually finish him off

Why would Jews be any different than anyone else? There are only two people Trump will never trash talk. Himself, and Ivanka. Everyone else is but a moment of pique from getting both barrels of the Trump Rage.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Gyges posted:

Why would Jews be any different than anyone else? There are only two people Trump will never trash talk. Himself, and Ivanka. Everyone else is but a moment of pique from getting both barrels of the Trump Rage.

tbf, his whole family/brand is probably off limits, because trash talking any of them is essentially trash talking himself

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/kindofabigdata/status/760674089946189824

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
His children are off limits, yeah, but could he be baited into poo poo-talking his ex-wives?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Trump has directly offended "the jews" already more times this campaign than points on a sheriff's star. Nothing matters.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Gyges posted:

Probably because it's the only thing separating him from completing the Nazi image. That and it might show indirect support of Muslims in the eyes of the idiots he has supporting him.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I wonder if the Morning Joe nukes thing is legit and why Scarborough has been sitting on that information so long if true. That's like, beyond the pale.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

And beyond politics

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't watch video, can someone summarize?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

I wonder if the Morning Joe nukes thing is legit and why Scarborough has been sitting on that information so long if true. That's like, beyond the pale.
Because Joe Scarborough is a hack and an idiot. MSNBC aren't exactly a bastion of great reporting but Scarborough has been the worst thing about them for years.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

greatn posted:

I can't watch video, can someone summarize?

Scarborough says that, months ago, Trump asked three times during a security briefing about nuclear weapons. One of the asks was "if we have them, why can't we use them?"

The panel is stunned into silence by this

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I was put on probation for suggesting that Trump's election would lead to nuclear war.

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/760790261370753025

That makes me think that perhaps one of Hillary's priorities should be instituting some sort of sanity check in the use of nuclear weapons. Because given the state of the republican party and the stupidity of the electorate, someone with a blase attitude towards nukes getting the presidency seems inevitable.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

emdash posted:

Scarborough says that, months ago, Trump asked three times during a security briefing about nuclear weapons. One of the asks was "if we have them, why can't we use them?"

Hopefully Mr. Trump has watched War Games at least once since then.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Gravel Gravy posted:

Hopefully Mr. Trump has watched War Games at least once since then.

Where The Wind Blows would be my choice for required Trump viewing. Then if he's still not impressed Threads.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

emdash posted:

Also, Scarborough chooses now instead of 3 months ago to reveal this. I don't think that's out of political acumen.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

emdash posted:

Going to guess the three questions.

1. How many nukes do we have?
2. When do I get to nuke somebody?
3. Never? If we have them, why can't we use them?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pet Rock Band posted:

Trump has directly offended "the jews" already more times this campaign than points on a sheriff's star. Nothing matters.

He's been dogwhistling to white supremacists and neo nazis for the whole campaign.

http://fortune.com/donald-trump-white-supremacist-genocide/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Because Joe Scarborough is a hack and an idiot. MSNBC aren't exactly a bastion of great reporting but Scarborough has been the worst thing about them for years.
Joe has been anti-Trump since the beginning, so maybe he's revealing this information when it can do the most damage. :tinfoil:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

CelestialScribe posted:

I was put on probation for suggesting that Trump's election would lead to nuclear war.

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/760790261370753025

God drat it just chaps my rear end to see people like this, who spent the entirety of the primary tossing this demagogue softballs and not asking the first loving follow-up question to his ludicrous responses, suddenly act like they are oh so serious and just completely mortified and look out Republicans, you're really loving up now!

I've had this theory since 2012 that there are quite a few conservatives who just have some sort of mental block around the idea that nowadays we can actually go back in time and see what people have said about things before this exact, present moment through the arcane wizardry of "video."

Morning Joe during the primary: Oh ho ho ho Donald you're such a roguish scamp and so handsome and funny. Please, tell us again about how successful you are!

Morning Joe today: Oh God how can anyone think this man is a successful handsome roguish scamp he's so dangerous :ohdear: Republicans how can you make this mistake, don't you know anything?!?!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

emdash posted:

Why did none of the panel come forth with this information?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's a lot more money and better hours in manipulating the news than reporting it. It's one big reason that news services like CNN are so bad at their jobs. Combine that with lots of pressure to be "unbiased" and America's inability to understand what that means and it's clear why the media handled Trump so badly.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Radish posted:

He means the panel on the TV show.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

There are also the semi-persistent rumors that President Obama wants to declare a no-first-use nuclear stance for the U.S. Besides the fact that this (and no-launch-on-warning) are good ideas in and of themselves, imagine the spectacle of a major debate on nuclear strategy with Trump as a participant.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

His children are off limits, yeah, but could he be baited into poo poo-talking his ex-wives?

Probably not. They know more about him than anybody and he would have a lot more to lose from an exchange of dirty laundry. It would also mess up his relationship with his kids. As a more practical consideration, he places enormous value on his brand, so I'm sure his divorce settlements include non-disparagement clauses that would likely bar him from talking poo poo about them.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's a lot more money and better hours in manipulating the news than reporting it. It's one big reason that news services like CNN are so bad at their jobs. Combine that with lots of pressure to be "unbiased" and America's inability to understand what that means and it's clear why the media handled Trump so badly.
Lewandowski and Don Lemon doing a back to back DJ set on CNN for the rest of the election promises to be fruitful

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Radish posted:

At the time, probably thought it'd get ignored (the khans thing is p much the first misstep that's stuck to him) and they'd get ostracized.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Slate Action posted:

If Trump ever trash talks the Jews I think that might actually finish him off

Give him a week

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Josh Lyman posted:

Joe has been anti-Trump since the beginning, so maybe he's revealing this information when it can do the most damage. :tinfoil:

I think he was definitely waiting to reveal this at a time it would do the most damage, and I'm pretty sure Joe is sitting on more stuff ready to drop on Trump at periodic intervals. I think that's true for a lot of anti-Trump people.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JohnCompany posted:

There are also the semi-persistent rumors that President Obama wants to declare a no-first-use nuclear stance for the U.S. Besides the fact that this (and no-launch-on-warning) are good ideas in and of themselves, imagine the spectacle of a major debate on nuclear strategy with Trump as a participant.

He would say he'd glass the hell out of Iran or lmao India or Pakistan or something and his base would loving eat it up. Then those counties would condemn him and "THEM NUCLEAR POWERS AND MUSLIMS WANT HILARY BECAUSE SHES WEAK."

And his base would eat it the hell up

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He would say he'd glass the hell out of Iran or lmao India or Pakistan or something and his base would loving eat it up. Then those counties would condemn him and "THEM NUCLEAR POWERS AND MUSLIMS WANT HILARY BECAUSE SHES WEAK."

And his base would eat it the hell up

Yeah, but no-one cares about his base. Only about his ability to somehow get his tiny hands on an extra 5-10% of the vote besides them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mahoning posted:

He means the panel on the TV show.

I know. If I was on a panel where a major candidate didn't understand the horror of nuclear war I would not be tight with that information.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Roflan posted:

That makes me think that perhaps one of Hillary's priorities should be instituting some sort of sanity check in the use of nuclear weapons. Because given the state of the republican party and the stupidity of the electorate, someone with a blase attitude towards nukes getting the presidency seems inevitable.

I blame Cold War propaganda on a lot of the idiocy we get from Boomers on the use of nuclear weapons.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I pray that should he attempt to first strike the military coups him.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I pray that should he attempt to first strike the military coups him.

Would never happen. They're trained to obey.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I feel like we are living in the Dead Zone movie but Trump is both Martin Sheen and Christopher Walken's characters.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Buzzfeed: Trump stance on nukes proves he is most 80s candidate

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

Would never happen. They're trained to obey.

I think even the most hardcore troop isn't pro nuke. Like, yeah we could probably nuke anyone not a nuclear power and not get nuked back but I know there would be consequences I just can't imagine what they'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Please god, let Trump start a war sitting members of the House and Senate.

Nothing would warm the cockles of my cold, dead liberal heart like seeing Paul Ryan get primaried.

• Locked thread