Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wait really? I thought nuclear winter was the result of many of them blocking the sun. Why would just one do it? Why didn't it happen when we dropped two in a day?

You have to drop nukes in pairs. Nuclear Winter is a toggle switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wait did you really think one nuke would end the world? Dude we've detonated dozens of nukes in Nevada and it's fine. No nuke arzying please
Every nuke detonated by everyone ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Doctor Butts posted:

Whoop de doo. GOP may turn on Trump. That will do nothing except embolden Trump supporters since it adds to his Anti-Establishment credentials.

Trump locking down 30% of the electorate like a true boss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From last night:

Apparently this is how they're gonna deflect on tax returns.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It seems to me the best possible way to ensure Trump does not drop out of the race is for the party to turn against him. Spite is clearly a very strong motivator for him.

Gonna be a strange three months.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

From last night:

yes please

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

zoux posted:

From last night:

What universe is this :psypop:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Uspol August: still waiting on proof of citizenship

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CelestialScribe posted:

My understanding was that one detonation of a modern nuclear weapon - due to their immense power - would result in such large amounts of radiation it would eventually cover the entire planet.

*Extremely* happy to be told I'm wrong.

Modern weapons are actually smaller than the largest ones tested. One nuke going off does nothing in global terms. The concern is a full on nuclear exchange wherein many cities are destroyed, as well as large numbers of ground bursts that are meant to destroy enemy nukes. The smoke from the fires and the dirt thrown into the sky linger in the atmosphere and interfere with the sun's rays.

Normally you blow them up in the air above the target so the blast knocks over poo poo and the heat sets a wide area on fire. This actually means not too much fallout as it is spread very widely and high into the atmosphere. The radioactive bits are flung far and wide, and most of the ground and such is not irradiated to the point that it sticks very long. Its obviously very very bad, but its akin to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the cities were habitable not very long after the blasts.

The ground bursts are way worse in terms of nuclear winter as they kick up giant amounts of dirt into the sky, which gets irradiated and than holds that radiation longer. It also sets fires as well, burning trees and building that have more radiation in them as well, sending smoke up that is nastier. They would also hit the same spot multiple times to ensure the enemy nuke silo is destroyed.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
An absolutely insane number of nukes have been set off since they were invented, most of them above ground.

quote:

In total nuclear test megatonnage, from 1945–92, 520 atmospheric nuclear explosions (including 8 underwater) have been conducted with a total yield of 545 megatons,[16] with a peak occurring in 1961-62, when 340 megatons were detonated in the atmosphere by the United States and Soviet Union.[17] while the estimated number of underground nuclear tests conducted in the period from 1957 to 1992 is 1,352 explosions with a total yield of 90 Mt.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_testing

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The SituAsian posted:

Trump locking down 30% of the electorate like a true boss.

I'm not satisfied until Trump supporters realize how loving retarded they are. Until then, this poo poo will keep happening.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/760832832461795328.
hehehe

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Who can run next time that would be even crazier? Duck Dynasty guy?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Look up a guy named Doug Wilson.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It''ll be ted cruz wearing a human skin suit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Rob Morrow. His RNC acceptance speech would just be rating waifus for an hour.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Arrgytehpirate posted:

There is really nothing to prevent another Trump from doing the exact same thing in the next Republican primary. As long as there is a) a solid 1/3 of the GOP primary electorate that will vote for pure evil, and b) the primary field takes a long time to narrow down from 6-12 shcmucks who are all convinced they're the savior of True Conservatism, a racist-populist candidate can easily hijack the whole thing again.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ah okay, I see what the confusion was. It wasn't Trump that said that comment about nuclear weapons, it was one of his idiot staffers:

quote:

What good does it do to have a good nuclear triad if you’re afraid to use it?” campaign spokesperson Katrina Pierson asked on Fox’s The O’Reilly Factor.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/12/19/3734020/trump-nuclear-weapons/

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

emdash posted:

What universe is this :psypop:

Well, if he is really a citizen why wouldn't he release his birthing video? I'm not saying that he isn't a citizen, just that if he was, there would be no need for this secrecy. It makes you think, makes you think that something is fishy. Not necessarily that he wasn't born a citizen, but that something is not right with his citizenship and that it has something to do with him being in office legally. You know?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisPaulComedy/status/760621357541588992

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Lol this dude deleted his account already

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

That's been their problem this whole time. Republican politicians had multiple chances to stop Trump by cooperating but that would mean putting aside their own egos and ambitions temporarily for the good of the party, the country, and their own long-term interests so nope they just mashed the "betray" button for 7 straight months, counting on someone else to fall on that grenade and leave them standing.

Sorry for this being so many pages back.

But I can't help but think toys is a side effect of that Thatcher belief that there's no such thing add society. It's not that far a jump from dismissing societal cooperation to inter-personal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Meanwhile on Fox News:

This was announced in January

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Ah okay, I see what the confusion was. It wasn't Trump that said that comment about nuclear weapons, it was one of his idiot staffers:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/12/19/3734020/trump-nuclear-weapons/

Oh, well she's an idiot so it makes sense she works for him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Right Wing Twitter is freaking out about this because the WSJ wrote some article claiming that it was a hostage pay off.

Meanwhile there is substantial evidence that Reagan secretly negotiated with the Iranians in order to make sure the American hostages from the Embassy weren't freed until after the election in 1980 so he would win.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

My understanding was that one detonation of a modern nuclear weapon - due to their immense power - would result in such large amounts of radiation it would eventually cover the entire planet.

*Extremely* happy to be told I'm wrong.

On The Beach was fiction, you know.

Incidentally if I recall correctly nuclear winter really wouldn't happen as thought; as they found out particulate matter doesn't reach the stratosphere when the Iraqis set oil fields aflame in the first Gulf War.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right Wing Twitter is freaking out about this because the WSJ wrote some article claiming that it was a hostage pay off.

Meanwhile there is substantial evidence that Reagan secretly negotiated with the Iranians in order to make sure the American hostages from the Embassy weren't freed until after the election in 1980 so he would win.

Wait, they think it is payback for the 1979 coup hostages?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
With all this nuke talk, let's all pretend to be President Trump with the handy google maps-powered NukeMap!

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/classic/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

Wait, they think it is payback for the 1979 coup hostages?
No, I'm just saying that they are accusing Obama of paying ransom money when Reagan actually did much worse than that before. Plus this story is garbage.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

There is really nothing to prevent another Trump from doing the exact same thing in the next Republican primary. As long as there is a) a solid 1/3 of the GOP primary electorate that will vote for pure evil, and b) the primary field takes a long time to narrow down from 6-12 shcmucks who are all convinced they're the savior of True Conservatism, a racist-populist candidate can easily hijack the whole thing again.

I remember thinking a couple years back that the party would be able to prevent another 2012-style clown car primary season. Obviously, that was mistaken, but then again, the preferred candidate won the nomination despite it. Now that they've seen the lunacy that can easily result from a crowded field, does the party have any formal or informal mechanism in place to prevent that many candidates in 2020?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, I'm just saying that they are accusing Obama of paying ransom money when Reagan actually did much worse than that before. Plus this story is garbage.

Oh, ok.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Party Plane Jones posted:

On The Beach was fiction, you know.

Incidentally if I recall correctly nuclear winter really wouldn't happen as thought; as they found out particulate matter doesn't reach the stratosphere when the Iraqis set oil fields aflame in the first Gulf War.

Radio War Nerd episode #44 is about this, in part--and yeah, they discuss the fact that the idea of "nuclear winter" that permeates the minds of the general public is very inaccurate

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

emdash posted:

Radio War Nerd episode #44 is about this, in part--and yeah, they discuss the fact that the idea of "nuclear winter" that permeates the minds of the general public is very inaccurate

But it's also somewhat helpful that people generally overestimate how much damage nuclear war would do, as it keeps down the amount of people who actively support doing it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

fishmech posted:

But it's also somewhat helpful that people generally overestimate how much damage nuclear war would do, as it keeps down the amount of people who actively support doing it.

:agreed:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I don't like nukes for the same reason most of my unit hated when we had to use helicopters. If you die it's not on you. It's completely out of your control.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was thinking about the two often-repeated political phrases this year "This is the slowest Economic recovery ever" and "We're due for a recession". Could these two things have something to do with each other? As in i'm hypothesizing obama has been knocking it out of the park so well that we had a "recession", and it just slowed growth instead of shrinking the economy so nobody noticed?

Disclaimer: Only took 4 credits of economics, not an economist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The "truth is in the middle" of nuclear winter is that while a single nuke going off won't cause it, even a "limited exchange" such as between India and Pakistan would probably throw up enough fallout and dust to cause severe damage to global agriculture leading to global famine. It's not going to cause Snowpiercer levels of global cooling, but it will gently caress over millions of people in the Third World.

And that is of course assuming that a limited exchange wouldn't escalate into every other nuclear arsenal going off anyway.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lightning Knight posted:

This is from the link someone posted, and actually might have been what she was talking about. I don't really remember, all I do know is she told me she was told/implied to that it was his fault. I didn't really understand at the time, because it was when McCain was running for President.

No, McCain's plane wasn't the one with the glitched-out Zuni and it was a known potential fault with the Zuni rocket. Switching from external to internal power could cause a voltage spike that fired the rocket. Deck crews weren't supposed to plug in the electrical harness until the plane was already on internal power, but to sortie larger flights and reduce the amount of time planes spent on deck they requested and were granted permission to plug them in while they were still on external power.

On top of that, they had unstable bombs that had been roasting in the Phillipines since the Korean War. The bombs had sweated out all the wax that keeps the explosives stable and should never have been on board, but they were basically out of ammo.

It was a parade of mistakes all around but McCain had nothing to do with it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 3, 2016

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Why would any other country except India and Pakistan jump in if they're just nuking each other? Obviously the countries that border them are hella hosed but they probably don't have nukes and more nukes wouldn't help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Why would any other country except India and Pakistan jump in if they're just nuking each other? Obviously the countries that border them are hella hosed but they probably don't have nukes and more nukes wouldn't help them.

Because you don't know that the nukes from Pakistan are only ever heading towards India, and vice-versa, and waiting for that to be confirmed could take long enough that you're screwed on timing your retaliation if it turns out you actually need to.

• Locked thread