Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

What has to be going through their heads as they chant "HATE WILL WIN" because I can't imagine a more disgusting and soul crushing moment than that.

They have to be thinking "I am on the side of hate and I want to be there." At least the racists usually pretend it isn't hate but fear or tradition or some poo poo. This is verbally affirming being on the side of hate.

I think only one person chanted "HATE WILL WIN".....then everybody drowns that person out with "HATE WON'T WIN" which isn't entirely clear the first time you watch the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What would happen if someone like Paul Ryan. Not Paul Ryan specifically because he's a giant pussy but a high ranking republican came out and said they were voting for Hillary? Would there be any consequence besides them getting primaried?

Well a sitting House GOP member (the one from Syracuse, NY I think) said he's voting for Hillary.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I wish Twitter would ban Trump because lmao that would be the best meltdown ever

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kilroy posted:

Arrgytehpirate's opinion on the use of the atom bomb in WW2 is probably not all that well thought out by him personally, but it's not exactly an unusual opinion to have. Even a lot of Japanese are sympathetic to it, but honestly the way the Japanese relate to the atomic bombings is sort of weird anyway. At the very least it was a war crime in a war filled with war crimes. Where it lands on the scale of how bad a war crime is, I'm not going to bother posting here since who loving cares anyway - nowadays once nukes are in the air all belligerents have effectively lost. (And yes, that includes first-striking a nation without nuclear weapons since weakening the nuclear taboo is not worth any gain the attacking nation could hope to achieve, even from the standpoint of naked self-interest.)

To put the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in perspective, it had about 3% of the yield of a single W88 warhead (15kT vs. 475kT.)

Each Trident D-5 missile has 8 of those W88 warheads.

Each Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine has 24 of those missiles. At this point we're already up 6,080 Hiroshimas on one boat.

We have 14 of those submarines.

This constitutes about HALF our active arsenal of nuclear warheads.

:stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

axeil posted:

Well a sitting House GOP member (the one from Syracuse, NY I think) said he's voting for Hillary.

He's a retiring back bencher. The most prominent defections from the GOP so far have been highly placed party operatives and former GOP staffers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm going to laugh when the brand new 400m talking point gets shut down. They try to find new dirt on the Dems and either A. Trump goes and say something he shouldn't, or B. it's completely proven wrong.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I wish Twitter would ban Trump because lmao that would be the best meltdown ever

Not a chance, he's great for business. Milo only got kicked because he was bad press.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sean10mm posted:

There is really nothing to prevent another Trump from doing the exact same thing in the next Republican primary. As long as there is a) a solid 1/3 of the GOP primary electorate that will vote for pure evil, and b) the primary field takes a long time to narrow down from 6-12 shcmucks who are all convinced they're the savior of True Conservatism, a racist-populist candidate can easily hijack the whole thing again.

I mean theoretically if it starts to happen they could get all the establishment candidates in a room after New Hampshire and drill it into their heads for hours that if the losers don't all drop out now they're gonna elect the unstable demagogue, but I kept waiting for them to do that this time around and nope they squabbled with each other until they went broke one by one.

Really though all they'd need to do is switch to a strongly proportional system like the Democrats have instead of awarding all the delegates to the guy who got 30% of the vote.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

zoux posted:

I know what they're there for but if they are pinning their hopes on those two being able to appeal to the better angels of Donald Trump, good loving luck.
I don't think that's what they're trying to do - they're more like the recovering addicts at the intervention.

The comparison isn't entirely accurate because Newt and Rudy would still actually just be addicts, but that's the gist.

Anyway it's not going to work because Trump is going to hijack the intervention and get Newt and Rudy to turn on Reince.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/760854711377408000

Full round up from the Kansas City Star. Nice if this was the start of a nationwide trend but I ain't holding my breath.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

emdash posted:

Scarborough says that, months ago, Trump asked three times during a security briefing about nuclear weapons. One of the asks was "if we have them, why can't we use them?"

The panel is stunned into silence by this

You'd think a bunch of talking heads would be used to the whole 'just asking questions' thing

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
On the one hand it would be good if the GOP could become a functioning party again because I'm not keen on living in the one-party state, plus if they really implode completely it will just pull the Democrats to the right. However on the other hand if they're just going to go back to being the party built by Atwater and Rove then what was the loving point?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

iospace posted:

I'm going to laugh when the brand new 400m talking point gets shut down. They try to find new dirt on the Dems and either A. Trump goes and say something he shouldn't, or B. it's completely proven wrong.

I mean, it was announced back in January when it actually happened. We're only just now getting specifics of how the payment happened.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

iospace posted:

The what

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kilroy posted:

On the one hand it would be good if the GOP could become a functioning party again because I'm not keen on living in the one-party state, plus if they really implode completely it will just pull the Democrats to the right. However on the other hand if they're just going to go back to being the party built by Atwater and Rove then what was the loving point?

I feel like a (hypothetical) democratic majority that could turn back the clock on some of the republican structural advantages with Citizens United and gerrymandering wouldn't hurt.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Today in Trump, he testified to Congress in 2005 and tweeted in 2012 that asbestos would have saved the WTC.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Reince/status/760858723107606528

Uh I'm ASSUMING this isn't about Trump but there's only one person whose out of touch leadership is the headline story on every network right now.

They're bitching about us getting spies freed by giving Iran their own money that we already promised them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
CNN was running a chyron about a DC transit cop being accused of aiding ISIS. Not sure if it is a major story (yet?) but sounds like something Trump could latch onto

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also I'm gonna laugh at the first poster that implies that Clinton doesn't want to overturn CU to grind republicans into dust.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm quite cynical about politics so not even in my wildest dreams did I think I'd see the right wing assholes of America eating their own like this. They've escalated up to Claim Jumper size portions of their own and they appear to have room left over for dessert. It's like right wing assholes have transformed overnight into endless soup and breadsticks and the line goes out the door and around the block.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

emdash posted:

CNN was running a chyron about a DC transit cop being accused of aiding ISIS. Not sure if it is a major story (yet?) but sounds like something Trump could latch onto

Lots of eminently latchable stuff going on in the last couple of days that's been utterly buried by Trump incompetence. Hillary Clinton literally told Fox News on Sunday that Comey completely cleared her of any wrong doing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

They're not going to push Trump out. They're going to beg him to shut up. He may or may not listen depending on how self-aware he is about how badly the past few days have gone.

This is awesome because Trump is exactly the type of guy who responds well to any sort of criticism.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

zoux posted:

Lots of eminently latchable stuff going on in the last couple of days that's been utterly buried by Trump incompetence. Hillary Clinton literally told Fox News on Sunday that Comey completely cleared her of any wrong doing.

yeah true, i realized this shortly after I wrote it :saddowns:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bip Roberts posted:

Also I'm gonna laugh at the first poster that implies that Clinton doesn't want to overturn CU to grind republicans into dust.

She was totally lying about that amendment thing! Money matters m o re than policy!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

He did, technically.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Being sloppy by FBI standards isnt a crime

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She was totally lying about that amendment thing! Money matters m o re than policy!

If she really hates CU why is she letting her SuperPAC buy her a bunch of ads???

Sanders proved you don't need a SuperPAC to win!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

If she really hates CU why is she letting her SuperPAC buy her a bunch of ads???

Sanders proved you don't need a SuperPAC to win!

Did he?

He also had a SuperPAC

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's pretty funny that Morning Joe went from the top Trump cheerleaders to making GBS threads on him daily for the same reasons a few months later.. Someone has a boo boo on their feelings.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

What has to be going through their heads as they chant "HATE WILL WIN" because I can't imagine a more disgusting and soul crushing moment than that.

They have to be thinking "I am on the side of hate and I want to be there." At least the racists usually pretend it isn't hate but fear or tradition or some poo poo. This is verbally affirming being on the side of hate.

Hatred is a powerful and addictive feeling and our country has let it flow through us for generations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Clinton's probably pretty blase about the email thing because she knows she can get away with it. Either that or she really has a blind spot on it because after Comey's statement a little bit of contrition would've probably been a good move. I mean I know the emails are not significant at all, but on Earth-2 she'd need a way to put it to bed somehow.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

As the son of a 9/11 emergency worker

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Clinton talking about the emails + weak GDP numbers + DNC resignations + Iran should make this an excellent news cycle for the Republicans. Alas, Trump.

e: VVV resignations, sorry. I've corrected.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Clinton talking about the emails + weak GDP numbers + DNC firings should make this an excellent news cycle for the Republicans. Alas, Trump.

Was anyone fired at the DNC?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If not for asbestos, what made the 9/11 wreckage so horribly unhealthy? Just all the atomized fiberglass insulation and stuff?

e: googled it. Looks like fiberglass, trace amounts of asbestos, and carcinogenic hydrocarbons consistent with the exhaust of a slowly smoldering fire.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty funny that Morning Joe went from the top Trump cheerleaders to making GBS threads on him daily for the same reasons a few months later.. Someone has a boo boo on their feelings.
I occasionally dip into Morning Joe before work, and enjoyed watching Scarborough's transition in real time. At some point he passed up Mika as far as outright disgust for Trump goes which is mind blowing. It's probably because the train he's hitched to went off the rails years ago and is now heading for an orphanage at full speed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Manafort is literally on Fox News saying the $400 million was a hostage ransom and the media is lying.

Goatman Sacks posted:

If not for asbestos, what made the 9/11 wreckage so horribly unhealthy? Just all the atomized fiberglass insulation and stuff?

There was a lot of asbestos installed and torn out so it still would have ended up in the wreckage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The US shipped 400 million USD to Iran as part of a payment of a deal made before the Iranian revolution, since the nuclear treaty they have includes unfreezing of assets.

This was done at around the same time that the American sailors that were arrested some months back for violating Iranian waters were finally released from their internment.

The WSJ published an article insinuating that this was proof of Obama paying Iran for the release of what were effectively hostages.

This could well have been a thing that might put the Democrats on the defensive for a news cycle because nuance is dead, but alas, Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SLOSifl posted:

I occasionally dip into Morning Joe before work, and enjoyed watching Scarborough's transition in real time. At some point he passed up Mika as far as outright disgust for Trump goes which is mind blowing. It's probably because the train he's hitched to went off the rails years ago and is now heading for an orphanage at full speed.

There is no way it's that noble. It's definitely from some petty personal slight.

• Locked thread