Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Otisburg posted:

it puts you in a special potato queue to get a pride obliterating bitch slap alongside other potatos

funny how many people are actually super really great at overwatch, just being held back by their team. to hear it told no one is individually bad at this game, but everyone else on their team is. it's like a koan for zenyatta to ponder in his robobrain

I mean, I'm BAD, but I'm always amazed at how there's someone even WORSE around the corner. Like, trickling flankers that can't hit the broadside of a barn are probably the main example. People just really wanna play the cool 1v1 me character instead of picking something more adequate to their own twitch aim skills. I say this as someone that picks Zarya a lot exactly because of that, mind you. Then your mediocre-rear end sits there, not good enough to carry the team to victory but good enough to realize you have no chance of winning.

It's when I pick Widowmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Guys it's OK if you aren't very good at the game. It's still fun.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Efexeye posted:

competitive doesn't properly compensate healers, a loss as a Lucio or Mercy will cost you almost a level while a win will get you maaaaaabye 20% of one

I played all my placement matches with Mercy, got placed 43 while the rest of my team was around 47; then played a few more times and yeah, every time I lost it was a whole level down, then 2 or 3 wins to get back up that level.

Haven't played much comp though, it's like taking a trip to The Salt Mines.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Do not play your placement matches with Mercy.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

Guys it's OK if you aren't very good at the game. It's still fun.

It's true. I can't aim worth poo poo but I still enjoy the game very much.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SadisTech posted:

Doesn't explain why my team mates are all actual, literal potatoes vs the non potatoes along with me, but there's probably not much more to be said on the topic really. I was just lucky to get carried to a 68% win rate in my first 270 odd solo queue games by sheer happenstance.

e: 67.58, sorry for exaggerating.

Yes, exactly. What, did you seriously think you were getting a 68% winrate against teams of equal skill? I'd be interested to hear how you think that would happen. Thanks to a mixture of luck and early inaccurate MMRs, the game matched you into a bunch of stomps against bad teams, your rank got super inflated, and now most people's MMRs have levelled out a bit and your luck has run out, so you're getting stomped all the way back down to your natural rank.

SadisTech posted:

Is it unreasonable to think that something has caused a fairly dramatic change in the matches that I am being presented with, given that my own performance metrics have remained fairly consistent, and shown a slight uptick across various categories? That's all I'm saying.

Yes, it's pretty unreasonable. A 68% winrate is highly unnatural. You've just been a statistical outlier up to this point.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Why is this game punishing my success??? drat you Bli$$ard!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Efexeye posted:

Someone's gotta heal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Someone's gotta heal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Embrace Tranquility!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Efexeye posted:

Especially true now that Mercy shouldn't be played in comp at all, really.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Trabisnikof posted:

Embrace Tranquility!

150HP wasn't tranquility, it was anxiety.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Trabisnikof posted:

Embrace Tranquility!

Oh, I loving love Zen, but I only pick him when someone goes Lucio or Ana; I find Zen as the only healer isn't quite enough to keep everyone alive. Also my usual ping is ~190 and I'm poo poo at tracking/leading, so sometimes I feel like I'm not contributing to the team. :sweatdrop:
Zen/Ana is a loving amazing combination though.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, I loving love Zen, but I only pick him when someone goes Lucio or Ana; I find Zen as the only healer isn't quite enough to keep everyone alive. Also my usual ping is ~190 and I'm poo poo at tracking/leading, so sometimes I feel like I'm not contributing to the team. :sweatdrop:

Toss a Roadhog and Pharah with those two and you have fine murder team. Discord something and watch melt via Pharah rockets or Roadhog chains.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

It would be if 99% of Ana players weren't loving awful.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm having a similar experience as Sardis. Started at rank 54 and had about 30 games that were very fun and mostly evenly matched games up to rank 60. Most games were nail biters down to the last second, win or loss. Very fun times. For over a week I've been in a downward spiral, and I'm now at rank 56. I had one or two games that I consider to be fun games where the teams are evenly matched. The majority of matches have been complete blowouts one way or the other, but mostly my team got crushed.

It's been especially frustrating post-Ana. I've had many games with awful connections. Roadhog hooks bouncing off enemy dudes, direct hits dealing no damage, enemies appearing through ice walls, being pulled through walls by enemy Roadhogs.

I don't give two shits about my rank or win/loss, all I want is fun, even matches in a properly functioning game, and for more than a week the game has been frustrating. It's not fun being constantly rolled or doing the rolling. It's not fun to have dumb connection related problems. Right now the game isn't fun for me. :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Papercut posted:

so hard to give up dat rez, tho

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I really want the D.VA epic from the new loot box. What are my odds of getting it?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

JackDarko posted:

I really want the D.VA epic from the new loot box. What are my odds of getting it?

how much are you willing to spend/grind

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder how much money they'll make from people going into panic mode the day before the olympics ends trying to get the one skin they want

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Mukaikubo posted:

how much are you willing to spend/grind

As much as it takes to get it. I spent $60.00 and I'm missing that skin and the genji one.

Edit: I'm going to be playing a lot to gain as many levels as possible. Hoping I won't have to spend more.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 3, 2016

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Papercut posted:

What's wrong with her?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

In my experience this is most definitely true. The system is an overengineered piece of crap.

Yeah, just went on a 3 win streak, gained one level. Lost a round, lost everything from the prior 3 matches plus some. This is completely hosed.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

BillBear posted:

What's wrong with her?

Ana is now both a better single-target healer and has combat use. Zenyatta is now almost as good a single-target healer and has a lot of combat use. Lucio is still Lucio. It's hard to justify bringing Mercy as one of two supports, and hard to justify a three-support composition. That said, at the skill levels most of the posters in this thread (especially me) are at, if you're good at playing Mercy that's going to be more help to your team than a support you don't play as much/don't have as much a feel for.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I saw a Pharah/Mercy combo yesterday in a 74 average comp game. They actually did really well despite us having a good McCree player. That combo is still a huge pain in the rear end as was having to play against a team with resurrection again. Luckily I was playing Winston and managed to keep jumping Mercy, but we got totally wiped on the first round of their offense.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Did they fix Gibraltar yet

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

This is a mistake, Zen is useful in every team comp.

BillBear posted:

What's wrong with her?

She's easily the worst support character now (not counting Symmetra as support because duh), outside of a truly terrible Ana.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zenyatta is a good pick because he is all in one. He heals, does damage and occasionally doubles up as a tank because literally nobody else will advance forward.

When Zenyatta is leading the charge because the tanks are too timid then there's something very wrong.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hey genji can you please not be genji on a KOTH map
hey genji standing at the back line and sniping with throwing stars doesn't do much good on a KOTH map
genji we have no dps im begging you to switch
hey genji why are you just standing in the spawn room for 30 seconds every time you die
*lose in a 3-0 roll*
oh well, at least that guy got to play genji

voicechatinthetwenties.txt

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Zenyatta is a good pick because he is all in one. He heals, does damage and occasionally doubles up as a tank because literally nobody else will advance forward.

When Zenyatta is leading the charge because the tanks are too timid then there's something very wrong.

I have to use Zenyatta ult just to get my team to push forward far too often.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Efexeye posted:

hey genji can you please not be genji on a KOTH map
hey genji standing at the back line and sniping with throwing stars doesn't do much good on a KOTH map
genji we have no dps im begging you to switch
hey genji why are you just standing in the spawn room for 30 seconds every time you die
*lose in a 3-0 roll*
oh well, at least that guy got to play genji

voicechatinthetwenties.txt

Genji's really good on koth and a very strong hero in general. I'm not saying the Genji in your game was the best, but I'm usually not unhappy to see one on my team in comp.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Whale posted:

Genji's really good on koth and a very strong hero in general. I'm not saying the Genji in your game was the best, but I'm usually not unhappy to see one on my team in comp.

Then stop hogging all the good Genjis. The rest of us are stuck with the leftovers that pop their ult in plain view of the enemy with like 20 health left.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The system is definitely set up to factor in win and losing streaks. I dicked around in my placement matches and got put at 47. Got up to 51 and decided to tryhard as McCree went on a ridiculous win streak and went 55-61 in 6 matches getting exactly a level per match.

Got put into a match with an average level of 68 got stomped by the 70 players lost a quarter of a rank then got another whole level the next match.

Im probably going to tank my placement again and farm wins next season, much more fun and you dont have as many people screaming about optimizing roles.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

Decided to just play the character I'm most comfortable with this morning and do what I can with him. Picked Zenyatta because he's my statistically best character, the one I'm most comfortable with, and the most fun one for me. Went from rank 47 to rank 54 with no losses in the span of about 8 games.

*in Zenyatta voice* We are in harmony.

Think the best moment of those games was playing with a Winston. Before the match started I used Zen's "Always strive for improvement" line and Winston acknowledged it. Match starts and que Winston immediately rocketing to the point, killing a Genji on the way before dying. Repeat this process for the rest of the match all the while watching Winston's kill feed gradually get larger and larger. I, being in awe of watching a pissed off space gorilla horribly murder the enemy, did my best to discord everything I saw. We win and as the game is fading out Winston strolls up to me and goes "Thank you."

this story needs more love because it's amazing

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I should give Ana a try; I've been shying away from her because I'm a terrible sniper, but it looks like at least her ally hitboxes are quite forgiving, so it may work out.

Papercut posted:

This is a mistake, Zen is useful in every team comp.

That's because you've never played with me. :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

I should give Ana a try; I've been shying away from her because I'm a terrible sniper, but it looks like at least her ally hitboxes are quite forgiving, so it may work out.

That's because you've never played with me. :v:

A terrible Zenyatta is still better than most terrible non-zenyattas since at least Zenyatta gives bonus damage and healing.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I only ever lose cause the system is working against me

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jastiger posted:

What is your battlenet ID. I have seriously lost 6 ranks tonight, its really infuriating.

I'm already on your friends list as Verranicus#1333 I think.

Auryn54
Mar 15, 2004

I've fallen into a slump; I mostly pick Pharah or Junkrat, I mained the soldier and demo in tf2 and I feel like a useless tit picking anyone else.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Auryn54 posted:

I've fallen into a slump; I mostly pick Pharah or Junkrat, I mained the soldier and demo in tf2 and I feel like a useless tit picking anyone else.

I have the reverse problem -- I pick almost every hero because they are cool and can't get better than "loving terrible" with any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

I'm already on your friends list as Verranicus#1333 I think.

I think i deleted you when I saw you miss a shot or die or something.