Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Amethyst posted:

the ubuntu shell thing is super good. i've installed a bunch of packages off the top of my head and they're all working

drat, i wonder how apple will respond to this. perhaps they'll have their arm twisted into completely rewriting their OS from the ground up and basing it on Unix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

uncurable mlady posted:

i tried to install the update again - the computer logs off, restarts, looks like it boots to a update screen then immediately reboots again. helpful.

i checked the event log and found some unintelligible info level reports from the windows crash reporter. well, might as well see if i can figure out where the error log got dumped to.

2016-08-03 09:08:32, Error SP CSetDefaultBootEntry: BCD Open failed. Error: 0x00003BC3
2016-08-03 09:08:32, Error SP Operation failed: Set SafeOS boot entry as the default boot entry. Error: 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]
2016-08-03 09:08:32, Error SP Operation execution failed: 9. hr = 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]
2016-08-03 09:08:32, Error SP CSetupPlatformPrivate::Execute: Execution of operations queue failed, abandoning. Error: 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]

gj ms

hresult 0x80073BC3? all hresults of the form 0x8007xxxx are actually win32 errors, so this is win32 error 0x3bc3, or 15299, which is ERROR_SYSTEM_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND. doubt it helps but so there :tipshat:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

hackbunny posted:

hresult 0x80073BC3? all hresults of the form 0x8007xxxx are actually win32 errors, so this is win32 error 0x3bc3, or 15299, which is ERROR_SYSTEM_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND. doubt it helps but so there :tipshat:
are you secretly raymond chen

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

SupSuper posted:

are you secretly raymond chen

I get that a lot
but seriously who doesn't know what HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(x) expands to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hackbunny posted:

I get that a lot
but seriously who doesn't know what HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(x) expands to

*holds mouse over the macro until intellisense tells me wtf it is*

well duh
code:
FORCEINLINE HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(unsigned long x) { 
   return (HRESULT)(x) <= 0 ? (HRESULT)(x) : (HRESULT) (((x) & 0x0000FFFF) | (FACILITY_WIN32 << 16) | 0x80000000);
}
seriously though the real problem is that theres a nice index of what all the error codes do on msdn but if you punch a code into bing or google that page won't ever come up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

are you using some kind of multi-boot config or goofy custom bootloader?

he's the why won't my eunuchs talk to windows? guy, so almost certainly

probably some godawful bootloader chaining with grub first in the chain

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

*holds mouse over the macro until intellisense tells me wtf it is*

well duh
code:
FORCEINLINE HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(unsigned long x) { 
   return (HRESULT)(x) <= 0 ? (HRESULT)(x) : (HRESULT) (((x) & 0x0000FFFF) | (FACILITY_WIN32 << 16) | 0x80000000);
}
seriously though the real problem is that theres a nice index of what all the error codes do on msdn but if you punch a code into bing or google that page won't ever come up

i'm guessing that poo poo like this is why windows has to be the special-snowflake llp64 of the 64-bit world

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just compiled a program with gcc through the bash shell on windows :aaa:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux is bad. don't install the Linux on your windows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but this is microsoft linux!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the upgrade to win10 has caused dark souls to occasionally stutter and drop frames on my previously perfectly-performing pc. whats the most likely culprit?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, ubuntu, but running directly off the ntoskrnl

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the upgrade to win10 has caused dark souls to occasionally stutter and drop frames on my previously perfectly-performing pc. whats the most likely culprit?

did it replace your video drivers?

because it will do that if you have windows set to get all updates the same way as critical updates and it decides whatever bullshit it finds in WU is newer than the OEM drivers you're using

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The_Franz posted:

i'm guessing that poo poo like this is why windows has to be the special-snowflake llp64 of the 64-bit world

I once got in an argument with a Windows programmer over whether or not a short int is smaller than an int and a long int is larger than an int.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

infernal machines posted:

because it will do that if you have windows set to get all updates the same way as critical updates and it decides whatever bullshit it finds in WU is newer than the OEM drivers you're using

iirc this happened to me

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

my win 7 settings were set to only get updates for windows. i guess i could check if they changed that setting.

i suppose ill have to use group policy to stop autorestarts after updates too, since my desktop also serves as a file server for all our other devices to share media.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the anniversary update also adds back the Edge and Windows Store icons to the taskbar if you deleted them. the adware operating system

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IIRC unless you have enterprise you can only defer reboots, not prevent them. after a week or so the pc will reboot regardless

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

i suppose ill have to use group policy to stop autorestarts after updates too, since my desktop also serves as a file server for all our other devices to share media.

whoops

until you get an actual file server you can set its active hours to cover whenever anyone would be using the files on the file server

if you need to start the file server software manually (including logging in*) after boot, uh, whoops

*THIS DOES NOT MAKE NOT PASSWORD-PROTECTING YOUR ACCOUNT ACCEPTABLE <<:mad:>>>

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 3, 2016

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

the anniversary update also adds back the Edge and Windows Store icons to the taskbar if you deleted them. the adware operating system

edge is the best browser there is so its doing you a favor. the only thing it could have done better is uninstalled any 3rd party browsers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

my win 7 settings were set to only get updates for windows. i guess i could check if they changed that setting.

just go into the update settings and set your active hours and it will update when you're inactive.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm never inactive because it's always real posting hours

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

where's my stay woke checkbox

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

edge is the best browser there is so its doing you a favor. the only thing it could have done better is uninstalled any 3rd party browsers

whatever you say, shaggar

http://hackaday.com/2016/08/02/microsoft-live-account-credentials-leaking-from-windows-8-and-above/

quote:

Discovered in 1997 by Aaron Spangler and never fixed, the WinNT/Win95 Automatic Authentication Vulnerability (IE Bug #4) is certainly an excellent vintage. In Windows 8 and 10, the same bug has now been found to potentially leak the user’s Microsoft Live account login and (hashed) password information, which is also used to access OneDrive, Outlook, Office, Mobile, Bing, Xbox Live, MSN and Skype (if used with a Microsoft account).

To exploit this, an attacker would simply set up a network share. An embedded image link that points to that network share is then sent to the victim, for example as part of an email or website. As soon as the prepped content is viewed inside a Microsoft product such as Edge/Spartan, Internet Explorer or Outlook, that software will try to connect to that share in order to download the image. Doing so, it will silently send the user’s Windows login username in plaintext along with the NTLMv2 hash of the login password to the attacker’s network share.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pretty surprised the next xbox S has this big a ROM drive

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sagebrush posted:

i just compiled a program with gcc through the bash shell on windows :aaa:

hmmm...

does rust work?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

pretty surprised the next xbox S has this big a ROM drive

spoilers: it's a piece of poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

reverted drivers, maybe

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

IIRC unless you have enterprise you can only defer reboots, not prevent them. after a week or so the pc will reboot regardless

you can now define your "usage" hours manually instead of it guessing so the reboot window will be in the middle of the night or during the day when you are at work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can now define your "usage" hours manually instead of it guessing so the reboot window will be in the middle of the night or during the day when you are at work

i saw that, though it doesn't do you much good if you're using the thing as some kind of low rent nas/media server

of course the solution is, don't do that, but it's a complaint anyway because you used to be able to

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wheany posted:

hmmm...

does rust work?

i don't know, i don't use rust

i'm gonna try Wine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you're a maniac

someone stop him!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

i saw that, though it doesn't do you much good if you're using the thing as some kind of low rent nas/media server

of course the solution is, don't do that, but it's a complaint anyway because you used to be able to

poo poo has to reboot, your camry also can't haul a ton of gravel either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

poo poo has to reboot

the song of the windows user

and while you probably shouldn't be hauling gravel in your camry, people obviously were until now

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

whoops

until you get an actual file server you can set its active hours to cover whenever anyone would be using the files on the file server

im a home user. this more file server more in the sense that "there's network shared folders on my computer with music and movies in them that we watch on the other devices in our house". this has always worked fine historically, but obviously if we're watching something at 2am or whatever on our bedroom NUC and my pc restarts because of an update that's kind of annoying. there's no way my wife would let me spend money to build a dedicated machine too be a real file server for our house, lol.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Please return the thread title to "combination Microsoft and Linux shell" in honor of this incredible achievement

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

im a home user. this more file server more in the sense that "there's network shared folders on my computer with music and movies in them that we watch on the other devices in our house". this has always worked fine historically, but obviously if we're watching something at 2am or whatever on our bedroom NUC and my pc restarts because of an update that's kind of annoying. there's no way my wife would let me spend money to build a dedicated machine too be a real file server for our house, lol.

you have a nuc. buy another and slap some usb hard drives on that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

Please return the thread title to "combination Microsoft and Linux shell" in honor of this incredible achievement

That's the current title of the Linux on the desktop thread, though I agree they should be the same thing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

so, again, set the inactive hours to 5am and stop worrying about it you're making a big deal out of nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Does OpenCL work if you have the windows drivers installed? would free me from dual-boot hell for machine learning

• Locked thread