Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do agree that optics-wise it looks bad, especially if you want to avoid the spectre of an illegitimate election.
Especially with the current chants of "THEY DONT CARE ABOUT WHO YOU VOTE FOR ANYWAY", the last thing we need is members of the college doing whatever the hell they want

Given that some people think the entire Dem Primary was literally a fix.

edit: thanks both of you for the info that previous electors had been faithless before. I didn't know that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think in general that the Clinton foundation are just sort of "average" in terms of bad poo poo that they do. I mean Hillary is not positioning herself as any sort of leader on the Left and a great deal of her current policies seem to have been sensible if somewhat lacklustre.

The problem from my perspective at least, is three fold. The first is that the Republican party would sooner eat a baby seal alive on air than have anything nice to say about her, and this has been going on for 25+ years and is unlikely to stop at any point. This has caused there to be a lot of crap shot into the air (especially in the pre-widely available internet days) that was hard to disprove. Now you'd just need a quick google search. The second is the fact that, whilst a competent administrator, Hillary is rather bad at actually campaigning. She has said it herself that she "isn't a politician" and whilst that may sound like , and was certainly meant as, a compliment she kind of doesn't come across all that well to people who don't immediately want to listen. Now is part 2 to do with part 1? I'd personally say so, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Third, and worst, is the fact that there is a tendancy for unforced errors and things that, whilst they may be shady, are not illegal or even bad getting made to look worse. Now true this is definetly due to part 1, but it just keeps happening. Instead of, maybe, dialling back on the speaking tours of wall street if you know you are going to be running for president? There are a great deal of daft things that Hillary seems to have done, not out of malice, but out of an honest belief that that is how the game is played. But nowadays? With things as sectional as they are, it's important to be able to stake out an identity for yourself that isn't about playing the game.

Anyway, those were my thoughts from what little I have seen. Hillary will probably be a decent to good president, and I would never hope for any of the current crop of others to win, but sometimes it is a good idea to have criticism.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

gradenko_2000 posted:

The US Electoral College has had a smattering of faithless electors over the years, with the latest in 2000

2004 actually, where some idiot in Minnesota voted for John Edwards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

2 worse people than Trump.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

i am the bird posted:

Have we talked about Jill Stein's new conspiratorial running mate yet? Does anyone care? Is anyone actually voting for her besides a handful of angry white people on my Facebook feed?

No, no, and no, in that order.

You don't leave Hell, Mr. Speaker. Hell lets you go.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
lol

quote:

"I follow the law," Trump said. "I follow a law the way it's supposed to be. I never thought to stay here without papers. I had visa. I travel every few months back to the country, to Slovenia, to stamp the visa. I came back. I applied for the green card. I applied for the citizenship later on after many years of green card. So I went by system. I went by the law, and you should do that."

But there is usually no need to travel back and forth every few months to "stamp the visa." H-1B work visa holders are generally admitted to the U.S. for a three-year duration. Employers of H-1B visa holders can also petition to extend the holder's stay in the U.S.

A tourist visa is a different matter. Your duration of stay is set by the immigration authorities when you arrive, with a maximum of six months. To keep your status, you would have to leave the U.S. when that period expired. But you generally can't work in the U.S. with a B-2 tourist visa. And repeated lengthy stays in the U.S. on a B-2 visa (which can be valid for multiple entries and 10 years) would tend to raise eyebrows at a U.S. port of entry.

Which visa did Melania Knauss have? If she had a work visa, why was it necessary to travel back and forth every few months to stamp it? If she had a tourist visa, why was she working?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's amazing how much people have bought into talk radio narratives on the Clinton Foundation that the argument is "how much bad poo poo is this non-profit accused of doing without evidence" while ignoring all the good things it does.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 3, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

berserker posted:

No, can you tell us who this person is and what is so conspiratorial about him/her?

Ajamu Baraka. He's a human rights activist and policy dude whose agenda is mostly anti-imperialism. But, for the fun stuff, he thinks Malaysian 17 was a false flag and that the brutality of Al-Assad is western narrative

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/06/04/the-syrian-elections/

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Riptor posted:

2004 actually, where some idiot in Minnesota voted for John Edwards

This is by and large considered to be a mistake since they also voted for John Edwards for Vice President.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Evil Fluffy posted:

Trump has to die to drop out, they can't force him off the ticket without rewriting their rules and, again, this is nuclear-option stuff that has a higher chance of fracturing the party than letting Trump jump off the political cliff does.

He could be committed. They could Eagleton him. I am not saying this is a good idea or likely idea, but it is one way I can think of that would have him be otherwise indisposed as per RNC rules, and not rely on his agreement.

Also they could put him in a rocket and shoot him into space. Then they could send him cheesy movies.

These things have roughly equal probability.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Please let her have violated immigration laws, please

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I love how Trump has turned the usual "VP = attack dog" conventional wisdom upside-down. Every quote I see from Pence these days is covering for his running mate.

I don't know what the opposite of "attack dog" is, but Mike Pence is it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Warcabbit posted:

He could be committed. They could Eagleton him. I am not saying this is a good idea or likely idea, but it is one way I can think of that would have him be otherwise indisposed as per RNC rules, and not rely on his agreement.

Also they could put him in a rocket and shoot him into space. Then they could send him cheesy movies.

These things have roughly equal probability.

No matter how pants on head insane he is, if he's committed the election for the republicans goes down in loving flames. They can't blame the dems for committing him in a convincing way. They'll eat one another alive. It's as good as throwing away the senate and getting deep gouges torn out of the house.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

oh please please please let the next news cycle be "man shouting at illegals married to immigration lawbreaker"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
USPOL August: To them, Duck Dynasty is a think tank

Was said on CNN by some Clinton guy.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This election just got real. https://twitter.com/WWE/status/760879182691835904

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

If the RNC does get to the point where they drop Trump, the most important questions are who gets to tell him he's fired and will it be filmed live

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

As INS takes her away, he turns his head from her tears: "Trump's wife must be above suspicion."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tibeerius posted:

Lackey.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tibeerius posted:

I love how Trump has turned the usual "VP = attack dog" conventional wisdom upside-down. Every quote I see from Pence these days is covering for his running mate.

Meanwhile Tim Kaine chuckles while reading the Gazette by a crackling fire, his fuzzy slippers on full display.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xand_Man posted:

As INS takes her away, he turns his head from her tears: "Trump's wife must be above suspicion."

"Look what sacrifices I've made!"

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

kaleedity posted:

If the RNC does get to the point where they drop Trump, the most important questions are who gets to tell him he's fired and will it be filmed live

I didn't ask for this erection, but here it is.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

It's amazing how much people have bought into talk radio narratives on the Clinton Foundation that the argument is "how much bad poo poo is this non-profit accused of doing without evidence" while ignoring all the good things it does.

"Clinton Foundation" is 2016's mad lib for 2008's "ACORN", including all the attendant baseless speculation it signifies.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Imagine Hillary saying it to him on election night. She won't, but it would be so awesome if she did.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If they PPV'd that poo poo RNC would have their warchest for the next 5 elections.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Please let her have violated immigration laws, please

like laws even apply to rich peoples' wives

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josef bugman posted:

I think in general that the Clinton foundation are just sort of "average" in terms of bad poo poo that they do. I mean Hillary is not positioning herself as any sort of leader on the Left and a great deal of her current policies seem to have been sensible if somewhat lacklustre.

The problem from my perspective at least, is three fold. The first is that the Republican party would sooner eat a baby seal alive on air than have anything nice to say about any democratic presidential candidate, and this has been going on for 25+ years and is unlikely to stop at any point. This has caused there to be a lot of crap shot into the air (especially in the pre-widely available internet days) that was hard to disprove. Now you'd just need a quick google search. The second is the fact that, whilst a competent administrator, Hillary is rather bad at actually campaigning. She has said it herself that she "isn't a politician" and whilst that may sound like , and was certainly meant as, a compliment she kind of doesn't come across all that well to people who don't immediately want to listen. Now is part 2 to do with part 1? I'd personally say so, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Third, and worst, is the fact that there is a tendancy for unforced errors and things that, whilst they may be shady, are not illegal or even bad getting made to look worse. Now true this is definetly due to part 1, but it just keeps happening. Instead of, maybe, dialling back on the speaking tours of wall street if you know you are going to be running for president? There are a great deal of daft things that Hillary seems to have done, not out of malice, but out of an honest belief that that is how the game is played. But nowadays? With things as sectional as they are, it's important to be able to stake out an identity for yourself that isn't about playing the game.

Anyway, those were my thoughts from what little I have seen. Hillary will probably be a decent to good president, and I would never hope for any of the current crop of others to win, but sometimes it is a good idea to have criticism.

Fixed, but agreed. And largely as of late, it seems she's laying low. She doesn't do these giant rallies that Trump does. She does smaller ones, designed to be more personal.

Of course, Wikileaks is always around the corner, but Trump did a /fantastic/ job of poisoning that well to the point where any future leak against her will immediately be suspect.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Trabisnikof posted:

Well the whole Chelsea Clinton in Hati thing after the Hurricane. I read her account, and even she didn't sound too impressed by her own families response. That and the whole "no minimum wage reform" thing which, whilst I am fairly sure didn't come from the foundation, would still be considered pretty bad.

Again, I am not saying that we are dealing with litterally hitler or even anything that bad, but it's important to bear in mind how some well meaning actions can often end up having poor consequences. I mean look at the poor bastard who invented cfc's and leaded petrol. Or look at the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and how much of that has turned into a money spinner.

It's like the old monastaries in Europe. The holiest monastaries (the ones where people did the most "good" praying for your soul) got given huge land grants and fat stacks of cash by people in order to pray for their souls. But when they got the money it didn't take long for them to start politiking, getting involved in gut stabbing heirs for the land etc. The same appears to apply to charitable organisations. The ones that do the most "good" end up loving themselves because of how much money they get given and start spending it on things that help, but also make money. I dunno how to fix this problem as it seems to be partially human nature, but still.

e: Sorry, should ahve specified, the minimum wage in hati.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 3, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zophar posted:

"Clinton Foundation" is 2016's mad lib for 2008's "ACORN", including all the attendant baseless speculation it signifies.

Except it's actually distasteful and shady.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

i am the bird posted:

Ajamu Baraka. He's a human rights activist and policy dude whose agenda is mostly anti-imperialism. But, for the fun stuff, he thinks Malaysian 17 was a false flag and that the brutality of Al-Assad is western narrative

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/06/04/the-syrian-elections/

People like that aren't anti-imperialist, they're anti-American imperialism. They're totally willing to support imperialism as long as it's an anti-American power. I loving hate it, it undermines the whole movement.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/LadyBugAssassin/status/760893443887333377

Trump's daughter for president. :allears:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

Except it's actually distasteful and shady.

Lol no

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Tibeerius posted:

Defense tree

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zophar posted:

The miasma of vague suspicion around Hillary is proof the right wing's media strategy works.

The existence of Trump is proof that it works too well.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Tibeerius posted:

Comfort kitten?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Crow Jane posted:

Imagine Hillary saying it to him on election night. She won't, but it would be so awesome if she did.

Election night no.

I could see her dropping it on him during a heated debate exchange since it would make him even more unhinged.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dexo posted:

Trump's daughter for president. :allears:

You know that while she has to tell everyone that she voted for her dad, she's actually going to vote for Hillary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tibeerius posted:

"Lapdogs! All of you!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Nah this isn't right. Her father said she wouldn't let herself be sexually harassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I love that Mike Pence is basically running the Scott Walker for president campaign under the Trump brand.

• Locked thread