Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

obi_ant posted:

I thought that was D++? My mistake. Double Dobis is pretty amazing.

they've only made D+ one time. yeah this last batch of DD was one of the better ones that I've had for sure.

how's this batch of Are you Afraid of the Dank tasting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
In SC for a family vacation and like every year, this gives me a chance to try some local fare.

The Good:
- Westbrook's One Claw is great and the best pale I've had from them. Was worried about the rye but it's very mild and extremely drinkable.
- Foothills Jade IPA. Remember back in like 2011 when this was the poo poo? I never had it then but very happy I snagged two sixers of it. Really nice fruitiness and pine, well balanced with how dry it is. This is delicious.
- Hilton Head Tropical Lager was a "let's try this it sounds kind of terrible" buy, but I kinda loved it. I'd guess this uses mosaic or other fruit-heavy hop, which blends just right with the lager sweetness. I would totally kill sixers of this all day at a beach. It's exactly what I wanted a Hawaiian brewer to make when I was there last summer.

The Not Good:
- Westbrook Gose is not good. Seriously. What were we thinking?
- Foothills Pilot Mountain pale ale is one of the worst (non-infected) packaged beers I've had in forever. Either this sixer was really, really old- like a year- or this was brewed on a Mr. Beer system. If you poured it for me and asked me what style I thought it was, I would say "Session Barleywine," because it's too offensive to be a proper pale but too weak to be a BW. Sticky malt sweetness, awful old hop bitterness. Just loving terrible.
- Quest Brewing Golden Fleece Belgian pale. No idea what was supposed to make this Belgian. Tasted like a bad knock off of Stone's session IPA.

Most everything else has been forgettable. Greenman's porter was fine, as was Holy City's. A lot of IPAs are around. I guess that's par the course but it doesn't seem like many of these breweries have gotten past that yet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
People are now arguing about the timestamp of their cancelled Eventbrite tickets for DDG.

This is what we do for craft beer, people.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I'm gonna blow up cryme's spot and say that you should all be ISO Union Old Pro Gose. It's way more refreshing then Westbrook Gose. And the barrel aged variants of Old pro are on point. When this becomes a thing that people are standing in line for you can thank me for pointing you in the right direction.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm gonna blow up cryme's spot and say that you should all be ISO Union Old Pro Gose. It's way more refreshing then Westbrook Gose. And the barrel aged variants of Old pro are on point. When this becomes a thing that people are standing in line for you can thank me for pointing you in the right direction.

ISO :sg:

The Jester King collab with Jolly Pumpkin releasing this weekend sounds like a lime gose with Michigan cherries :vince:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Klaus Kinski posted:

The recipe is also probably different considering the canned stuff is 5.5% abv, the stuff in czech is 4.2% or 4.5%.

That sounds like just the difference between USAian abv and EU abw.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Drink everything. Eat everything. And if they still have bottles of Solaire Reserve buy them.

What he said.

Also Jean from Tired Hands is apparently out here at Arizona Wilderness doing a collaboration. Kinda looking forward to that.

Other bit about AZW: They did a can release the weekend before last, limit was two crowlers of the blood orange gose and two crowlers of the new watermelon gose (which is wonderful, just wonderful. Just fresh watermelon juice on the backend, such a good 110-degree-weather beer), so I bought the limit to bring back to Philly.

Turns out that it was a bit of a disaster for them. Apparently their canner was out of calibration, so some big percentage of the cans had slow leaks around the rim. Really slow leaks: you could turn the can upside down and squeeze and nothing would leak out but if you left the can alone on its side it would, say, leak all over the bedspread in your hotel room, or if you left it upright on your hotel room nightstand it'd slowly ooze foam out the top and you'd wake up the next morning finding your cans sitting in a little puddle. All four of my cans leaked, and while I was back there exchanging them two more people showed up to exchange theirs, too.

Still, they made it right so a point in their favor. Got my two cans of watermelon and a growler of blood orange since they didn't have any more to can.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 3, 2016

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

HatfulOfHollow posted:

And I can thank you for ruining my chances of getting them easily!

Actually, the way they did the release for the barrel aged variants this year was cool - you bought tickets to all you can play and all you can drink mini golf, and your tickets guaranteed you the option to purchase a 4pk of each variant. Not cheap, but in the grand scheme of things, far more pleasurable than waiting in a line for hours

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

And I can thank you for ruining my chances of getting them easily!

Actually, the way they did the release for the barrel aged variants this year was cool - you bought tickets to all you can play and all you can drink mini golf, and your tickets guaranteed you the option to purchase a 4pk of each variant. Not cheap, but in the grand scheme of things, far more pleasurable than waiting in a line for hours

I love that idea...

This was the place that did that grisette that you were touting, right?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Phanatic posted:

Also Jean from Tired Hands is apparently out here at Arizona Wilderness doing a collaboration. Kinda looking forward to that.

Per Tired Hands' Instagram it's a Waffle IPA. Brewed with vegan waffles and maple syrup. Gonna be a weird one for sure.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

I love that idea...

This was the place that did that grisette that you were touting, right?

Different place, but both are the upper-echelon of MD-only breweries at the moment

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

OK beer thread.

Let me know what you think of this.

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/equity-for-punks-usa-has-landed

quote:

You can buy a part of BrewDog USA for just $95. Investing in BrewDog USA brings with it a raft of benefits as well as an equity stake in our business. You’ll have your say in how our company is run, as well as the opportunity to attend our USA AGM (a music, beer and food party, exclusively for Equity Punks), and claim awesome perks like growlers, super rare beers and tours & tastings with our team.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BrewDog makes mostly lovely gimmick beers and their 'standards' are mediocre. They're a remnant of the lovely beer culture of a few years ago. The USA has a whole new lovely beer culture now and BrewDog isn't/won't be part of it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

a worthy uhh posted:

BrewDog makes mostly lovely gimmick beers and their 'standards' are mediocre. They're a remnant of the lovely beer culture of a few years ago. The USA has a whole new lovely beer culture now and BrewDog isn't/won't be part of it.

Basically bargain bin mikkeller.

Except elvis juice owns.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Who the gently caress is this for? What person in the states is like "Y'know who I love? Brewdog!"

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
A couple guys in my brewclub went bonkers when BrewDog released all their recipes for free. I was wondering if any of them had actually DRANK the beer cause it's like a time capsule of beer culture from 12 years ago.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

robotsinmyhead posted:

A couple guys in my brewclub went bonkers when BrewDog released all their recipes for free. I was wondering if any of them had actually DRANK the beer cause it's like a time capsule of beer culture from 12 years ago.

When people find out I'm into beer and mention those guys or Stone because of familiarity with those brands, I just imagine aw, babby's first craft beer. They're both way behind the curve.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Haha yeah I see stuff like that a lot. Sierra nevada pale ale? gag me with a spoon, that's sooooo 2000s

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Stone has plenty of solid beers and even in Europe they are usually not as overpriced as brewdog.

I'll have ruination, go to or BA arrogant over anything brewdog offers.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Was talking with someone about beer a couple weeks ago and they mentioned they mostly just drink blue moon and my eyes rolled right out of my head, straight into the stratosphere, flying in an escape trajectory past jupiter headed towards the "are you fr*cking kidding me" constellation

Apache
May 11, 2004

So have any great spots opened in the last couple years in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area? Taking a 3 day weekend up there in a couple of weeks. Don't think I'll have time for Richmond, unfortunately.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Forest & Main was great to visit yesterday, thanks for the recommendations! Highly recommended for anyone out that way - the food menu is a bit small (so be aware if you have allergies/dietary restrictions) but it was a very cool spot to relax and sip a few beers.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Apache posted:

So have any great spots opened in the last couple years in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area? Taking a 3 day weekend up there in a couple of weeks. Don't think I'll have time for Richmond, unfortunately.

In Norfolk, The Birch is a pretty cool beer bar. Not cheap, but they always have an interesting list.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Control Volume posted:

Haha yeah I see stuff like that a lot. Sierra nevada pale ale? gag me with a spoon, that's sooooo 2000s 1980s

FTFY. Also, still better than a majority of pales I've had this week.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Basically bargain bin mikkeller.

Except elvis juice owns.

Both true.

Their bars are better than their beers.

Also true of Mikeller

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Control Volume posted:

Was talking with someone about beer a couple weeks ago and they mentioned they mostly just drink blue moon and my eyes rolled right out of my head, straight into the stratosphere, flying in an escape trajectory past jupiter headed towards the "are you fr*cking kidding me" constellation

You're not wrong, and I can't tell how facetious you're being, but I have to say that I am sheepishly excited to visit this place at least once: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/22/blue-moon-brewery-denver-rino/

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

Both true.

Their bars are better than their beers.

Also true of Mikeller

The guest taps are usually really good at both places, yeah.

fe:

random stop at the liquour store to pick up some cheap beer for game night and these two followed me home.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

I call this piece "Goodbye Enamel"

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Finally hitting trillium in canton. I take back most of what I said about their stout game: the omnipollo collab, Outside the Lines is really loving good. Imperial stout with vanilla and cardamom. Maybe I'm just a sucker for cardamom, but the body is just rich and velvety and the carb is on point enhancing the profile they got goin. If I weren't driving I'd have filled out my tasting card with 4 of these.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

That sounds like just the difference between USAian abv and EU abw.
new watermelon gose (which is wonderful, just wonderful. Just fresh watermelon juice on the backend, such a good 110-degree-weather beer), so I bought the limit to bring back to Philly.

I'd argue that it does basically taste like blended watermelon drink. However, it really smells like vomit. More specifically like bile. That pretty much makes it off putting for me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Apache posted:

Birch for sure. a bunch of new stuff has opened up in the last few years, but i'm not familiar with all of them. Commonwealth is the best thing going down there, Pleasure House is decent, and Smartmouth is also pretty good. O'Connor and Reaver Beach are mediocre and Young Veteran's and Wasserhund are bad. Coelacanth looks interesting as i kinda know the owner, but i've yet to try their stuff.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
CCB's Hapax Legomenon is infected with brett, so they're refunding! That means I only lost 5 bottles to FedEx!

Also, I wonder if that weird loving beer wouldn't be better with it!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

danbanana posted:

FTFY. Also, still better than a majority of pales I've had this week.

Likewise, Torpedo beats a lot of DIPAs.

I haven't been into that style lately, but I really enjoyed Hoyne's Hard Rain DIPA yesterday.

Apache
May 11, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

Birch for sure. a bunch of new stuff has opened up in the last few years, but i'm not familiar with all of them. Commonwealth is the best thing going down there, Pleasure House is decent, and Smartmouth is also pretty good. O'Connor and Reaver Beach are mediocre and Young Veteran's and Wasserhund are bad. Coelacanth looks interesting as i kinda know the owner, but i've yet to try their stuff.

Yeah, I tried Young Veterans, Smart Mouth, O'Connor, and Beach brewing last time I was in town, Smart Mouth was decent. Beach and O'Connor were mediocre. Young Veteran's wasn't good. I'll try to hit Commonwealth, Pleasure House, and Coelacanth, while I'm in for the weekend, probably hit the Grape and Gourmet as well.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Apache posted:

Yeah, I tried Young Veterans, Smart Mouth, O'Connor, and Beach brewing last time I was in town, Smart Mouth was decent. Beach and O'Connor were mediocre. Young Veteran's wasn't good. I'll try to hit Commonwealth, Pleasure House, and Coelacanth, while I'm in for the weekend, probably hit the Grape and Gourmet as well.

wow, called it, huh? Kevin, the guy who owns Coelacanth, is pretty well-known in the Scotch world, so i know he's got a good palate and might be coming at things from a slightly different direction. don't know anyone who's had his beer yet, though. it's in Ghent, so not far from the Birch, and there's also a newish shop a block or two away called bottleBOX that's supposed to be good, although it can't be as large as G&G. Commonwealth has a neat space as it was previously a fire station and it's not too far from Pleasure House (Commonwealth is the one on Pleasure House Road, interestingly enough). Pleasure House is in a little strip shopping center, so it's not real exciting as a place, sadly. oh, and Lynnhaven Pub is nearby and they have surprisingly good taps and okay food if you need to soak up some alcohol.

also, dood, we brewed a dry, hazy, 5% pale ale with wheat, oats, and rakau today, so remember to check that out in a couple weeks!

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 5, 2016

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Westbrook key lime gose is on point. gently caress that's good. Needs to be year round.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Speaking of lime goses, I'm liking Avery's El Gose well enough too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

CCB's Hapax Legomenon is infected with brett, so they're refunding! That means I only lost 5 bottles to FedEx!

Also, I wonder if that weird loving beer wouldn't be better with it!

I think it would be better with it and am disappointed that I drank mine fresh.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bought a sixer of blue moon in a store where someone was talking about how he didn't just blast bloods music, but also ice t, dr dre, etc in an effort to impress his black friend. Downside of the location was bad selection

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Hauki posted:

Speaking of lime goses, I'm liking Avery's El Gose well enough too.

I'll have to look out for that one. Too many goses out there that just taste like seawater it's really disappointing and I'm glad they're sorta dying down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Bought a sixer of blue moon in a store where someone was talking about how he didn't just blast bloods music, but also ice t, dr dre, etc in an effort to impress his black friend. Downside of the location was bad selection

i get free blue moon (and other millercoors subsidiaries) through work and i still don't really drink it :shrug:

i did take home some st. archer stuff to try though and i guess it's decent as far as free beer goes