Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The truck should turn on if you just hit the accelerator. I don't even have it bound on my 360 pad, I just tap that and the truck starts.

That's actually an option, you can turn it on and off if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dupersaurus posted:

I ended up making my own, I can look into sharing it.

Oh, that'd be awesome! My Steam info, if that helps, is here (any other goons reading this who want to add me, feel free :glomp:):

http://steamcommunity.com/id/robot_cousin

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Panch posted:

Yeah next time I am super bored I'm going to see if I can find a video explaining driving a truck and more importantly why you're doing the things. So many tutorials seem like just how to get through the gears, they don't tell me when I should be shifting or explain, I guess the "flow" of it other than "clutch, next gear." Like I mentioned, I wish I could find something starting from the perspective of "you know how to drive stick in a car, here's the differences in theory and practice to a heavy haul truck."

Does that shifter easily swap? Usually I put my wheel away for long periods and then play dirt rally and American truck for a long period on a weekend or something. I'd want to be able to swap back and forth pretty easily since I would be switching games fairly often.

If you ever find such a thing, post it. I've been driving a stick car for the last 19 years so it's second nature but I don't actually know the differences in an Eaton-Fuller all that well.

As far as swappability, it's stupidly easy to swap, although I guess if you did it TOO often and overtightened the set screw you might kind of screw it up a bit. As long as you're careful it shouldn't be an issue though.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
This channel is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvAo97UUqVU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Help

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a Steam controller keybinding? The top two user-made ones don't really do anything for me (the top one doesn't even allow you to turn on the truck, but maybe I'm just missing something?), and I figured you guys would know. And no, I don't care if you hate the Steam controller, I don't. :colbert:
I made this for ATS, but I can upload it to ETS2 as well. I think I had to rebind some stuff to get this config to work, but ideally you should be resting your thumbs on the touchpads and only need to make gentle movements. Also yeah Steam Controller is great, gently caress the haters.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I didn't forget about posting mine, just haven't had a chance to get to it. I'll try this evening.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Panch posted:

Yeah next time I am super bored I'm going to see if I can find a video explaining driving a truck and more importantly why you're doing the things. So many tutorials seem like just how to get through the gears, they don't tell me when I should be shifting or explain, I guess the "flow" of it other than "clutch, next gear." Like I mentioned, I wish I could find something starting from the perspective of "you know how to drive stick in a car, here's the differences in theory and practice to a heavy haul truck."

The basics are a rigs power band is quite narrow. When accelerating you want to keep the truck in that power band as much as possible to maximize RPMs and gearing. A semi's transmission is not synchronized and to shift smoothly drivers either double clutch or "float" the transmission. Floating is shifting the trans without use of the clutch. The basic idea being on up shifting if the shafts from the motor and trans are at the right speeds the shifter will pop into gear. This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hdqg2g7RYg demonstrates some of the power band and gearing skipping with an 18 speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjh23YTfNhQ is another video about shifting, but more about floating also with an 18 speed and talks a bit more about some of the technical reasons for some of the stuff drivers do what they do. The 2nd one is longer, but really informative.

Edit: And as a just personal favorite here's a Detroit twin stick doing things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3gZGUInd4

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 3, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Thanks for this, will definitely check these out! I haven't been floating in ATS/ETS, I assume it is supported? I have ground my gears before so that would lead me to believe it's possible if the failure to do it correctly is in.

It is difficult to go between this, dirt rally, and real life. 18 speed to slam shifting to oh god why am I jerking around so much. :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I haven't messed with ETS2 in a while. Is there a way/mod to force all trucks into magical 6-speed gearing so I could use my G27 box without using a bunch of modifier keys? I know that wouldn't be realistic, but I don't need every driving game to be Automobilista.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Honestly do not know if it's supported in game. I really have only played with a keyboard. If you're feeling ballsy you can try to learn how to do it in your personal car. I've owned a few Ford Rangers with various amounts of clutch left in them and once had to get home super late at night with no clutch at all so had the pleasure of giving myself a crash course in floating at 2:30 am.

Shine posted:

I haven't messed with ETS2 in a while. Is there a way/mod to force all trucks into magical 6-speed gearing so I could use my G27 box without using a bunch of modifier keys? I know that wouldn't be realistic, but I don't need every driving game to be Automobilista.

https://www.reddit.com/r/trucksim/comments/3h90gv/i_made_a_g27_hshifter_layout_for_18_speed/
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=236812952

Look like what you're looking for. All a 12 and 18 speed are is a 6 with different splits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Honestly do not know if it's supported in game. I really have only played with a keyboard.

Jesus christ, man... How... How could you do this to yourself? :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I only play with a keyboard because I can't justify wasting money on a decent wheel for just one game. It's quite easy to truck with keys if you mostly tap and use short and light touches. :shrug:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Shine posted:

you could skip every other gear :v:

a quick search of ets2 mod sites brings up this one, which should work.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Poil posted:

Personally I only play with a keyboard because I can't justify wasting money on a decent wheel for just one game. It's quite easy to truck with keys if you mostly tap and use short and light touches. :shrug:

A 360 controller has infinite uses!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah just the analogue triggers on a cheapo 360 controller adds a lot to the game. Like having a range between 'go' and 'dont go' feels really good.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Jesus christ, man... How... How could you do this to yourself? :negative:

WASD is standard accelerate, brake, left, and right. Left shift is gear up...I personally prefer a 14 speed that I picked up from one of the mods in the OP since empty I start in 4th and then skip to 6 then basically 8, 10, 12, 13, 14. Loaded 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 on up. I have downshift bound to right mouse button and engine braking bound to left click. Liberal use of cruise control in 14 keeps me from having to mash buttons too much. Basically get into 14 around 100kph+ set cruise and then mash the "increase cruise by 5" a bunch of times. Keeps the truck running around 130 or so on the highway with little adjustments to steering here and there. Clicking the engine brake removes the cruise and a down shift to 13 while riding the engine brake scrubs plenty of speed. For Dirt and stuff I usually use a 360 controller. I've never really cared enough to get a decent wheel.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Panch posted:

Thanks for this, will definitely check these out! I haven't been floating in ATS/ETS, I assume it is supported? I have ground my gears before so that would lead me to believe it's possible if the failure to do it correct.
Short answer: yes in ATS. You have to enable some setting like "advanced shifting" in the controls settings. It works OK for upshifting, though it's a bit sensitive about timing and obviously gives you no physical feedback. Floating in real life lets you do a lot of slight pressure that will move the shifter in/out of gear. Downshifting without the clutch has proved effectively impossible for me in ATS. It works some small amount of the time, but more often than not I end up in grindville, frantically searching for the gear.

ETS truck transmissions are all synchronized, so you should be using the clutch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WASD is standard accelerate, brake, left, and right. Left shift is gear up...I personally prefer a 14 speed that I picked up from one of the mods in the OP since empty I start in 4th and then skip to 6 then basically 8, 10, 12, 13, 14. Loaded 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 on up. I have downshift bound to right mouse button and engine braking bound to left click. Liberal use of cruise control in 14 keeps me from having to mash buttons too much. Basically get into 14 around 100kph+ set cruise and then mash the "increase cruise by 5" a bunch of times. Keeps the truck running around 130 or so on the highway with little adjustments to steering here and there. Clicking the engine brake removes the cruise and a down shift to 13 while riding the engine brake scrubs plenty of speed. For Dirt and stuff I usually use a 360 controller. I've never really cared enough to get a decent wheel.

Oh yeah, sorry, I should have been clearer; I used to play on Keyboard/Mouse with ETS2 for about a week, and then I just started using the 360 controller (now trying to get a good Steam controller setup going). Like someone else said, the analog triggers, not to mention the analog turning are fantastic. I'm sure everything you're doing is 100% functional (you ARE playing, after all), but it just doesn't sound fun to me. But hey, whatever works :shobon:

I don't think I'd ever get a wheel, but a controller works quite nicely.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Goetta posted:

Like having a range between 'go' and 'dont go' feels really good.
I... don't understand. Do some people not always go full throttle and use the gearbox as a speed limiter?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A 360 controller has infinite uses!
It seems like it would be really weird to me. But I don't really have any controller experience so I'm likely wrong. Analog turning would be an improvement however. They have enough buttons to bind to shifting gears, signals, wipers and whatnot, right (I assume they do)? Besides I don't play any other games where a controller might be useful so it's still a kinda wasteful expense.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Poil posted:

It seems like it would be really weird to me. But I don't really have any controller experience so I'm likely wrong. Analog turning would be an improvement however. They have enough buttons to bind to shifting gears, signals, wipers and whatnot, right (I assume they do)? Besides I don't play any other games where a controller might be useful so it's still a kinda wasteful expense.

With a 360 controller I had to keep a keyboard around, although you could probably come up with an aggressively minimal button requirement. The steam controller is fantastic for it, though, since you can mode shift and double-map everything

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Honestly do not know if it's supported in game. I really have only played with a keyboard.

Same :smith:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Oh yeah, sorry, I should have been clearer; I used to play on Keyboard/Mouse with ETS2 for about a week, and then I just started using the 360 controller (now trying to get a good Steam controller setup going). Like someone else said, the analog triggers, not to mention the analog turning are fantastic. I'm sure everything you're doing is 100% functional (you ARE playing, after all), but it just doesn't sound fun to me. But hey, whatever works :shobon:

I don't think I'd ever get a wheel, but a controller works quite nicely.

No worries :) ETS 2 is basically lean back, listen to some tunes (whatever the radio Mannheim rock station is owns), and drink a 6 pack while building a vague trucking empire. I work in the logistics industry so ETS 2 was a way to understand some of the basic requirements truckers have to put up with while also having enjoying a fun and relaxing game.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

When I played with a controller (DS3), my setup was something like this:

L2: Brake
L1: Shift down
R2: Accelerate
R1: Shift up

Up: Retarder speed increase
Down: Retarder speed decrease
Left: Blinker left
Right: Blinker right

Select: Interact
Start: Engine on/off

Triangle: Cruise control
Square: Beacon
Circle: Horn
X: Light horn

R-Stick: Camera*
R3: Hazards
L-Stick: Turning*
L3: Wipers

*: Might be swapped by the other stick, can't remember now.

The idea was to get to cruising speed, activate cruise control and dodge enemies until I arrived where I couldn't really use cruise control. It was pretty boring and the reason that I bought a G27.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ManicJason posted:

Short answer: yes in ATS. You have to enable some setting like "advanced shifting" in the controls settings. It works OK for upshifting, though it's a bit sensitive about timing and obviously gives you no physical feedback. Floating in real life lets you do a lot of slight pressure that will move the shifter in/out of gear. Downshifting without the clutch has proved effectively impossible for me in ATS. It works some small amount of the time, but more often than not I end up in grindville, frantically searching for the gear.

ETS truck transmissions are all synchronized, so you should be using the clutch.

Downshifting it seems like I would usually have time to double clutch at least. Is there any mechanical advantage to it being unsynchronized or is it a cost thing?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I wish I could rebind the right stick. I have a TrackIR but it's still reserved for camera control but it doesn't even do that.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Panch posted:

Downshifting it seems like I would usually have time to double clutch at least. Is there any mechanical advantage to it being unsynchronized or is it a cost thing?

It's a combination of strength, longevity, and simplicity I believe. Non-synchro gears are easier to make stronger in a smaller package. When you're talking about ~600 to 700 ft/lbs of torque latched on to a 40k box in a package that could weigh in at a max legal'ish DOT weight of 80,000 lbs that should last hundreds of thousands if not a million miles strength and simplicity count for a lot.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Oh, that'd be awesome! My Steam info, if that helps, is here (any other goons reading this who want to add me, feel free :glomp:):

http://steamcommunity.com/id/robot_cousin

Just shared mine to the community as "goon express"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Just shared mine to the community as "goon express"

Appreciated! I don't think it's showing up yet, but I'll keep looking for it. I don't think we're friends on Steam, but regardless, it'd be an awesome feature if you could sort by bindings used by people on your friends list, with the option of including a group you're a part of.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Panch posted:

Synchros are wear items. IIRC they basically use friction to spin the engine up/down to an RPM that'll allow the gears to mesh. When the engine is a huge loving 12-liter V6, that's a lot of friction, even to only spin it up or down a few hundred RPM. They would wear really fast unless the driver was rev-matching as much as possible. So if you need to be rev matching as much as possible anyway, why not skip the synchros all together, making the transmission stronger, lighter, smaller, and more reliable?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Captain Novolin posted:

you could skip every other gear :v:

a quick search of ets2 mod sites brings up this one, which should work.

Thanks!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Are there any steering wheel controllers that have floor shifters with long levers for maximum immersion?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Not by default but I'm sure with the proper tools one could bodge together something with a G27 shifter.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Weedle posted:

Are there any steering wheel controllers that have floor shifters with long levers for maximum immersion?

Get a Thrustmaster TH8a shifter. Unscrew the gear knob. Get a broomstick. Drill an 8 mm hole in the end of a broomstick. Put it on the shifter lever.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Weedle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaNOQU7a3v4

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Sooooo excited about the DAF XF 105 remaster! I spent quite a long stretch of my time with ETS wanting to drIve a DAF, but the textures and sounds (especially the sounds) were just so much worse than my second choice Man that I just couldn't stick with it.

(http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/08/updated-daf-xf-105-is-coming.html)

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Can you get a higher average speed than me?

Damage on
Realistic fuel consumption on
Sleep simulation on
Did not stop at weight stations
No auto-parking

I used the Kenworth W900 with the C15 600 engine (2,050lbs/ft of torque) from the Realistic Engines and Sounds mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=650050267
I also used the Lower cop spawn mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=650458302

I did 76mp/h hauling a 37,500lbs trailer. You can use any trailer you want but you will find having a lighter trailer doesn't make much difference since once you are up to speed it's keeping it there that counts, not how fast you accelerate.
I started my run at around 15:00 hours but any time is good really as long as you don't hit the morning rush in the middle of your run.

Remember that the GPS only gives you the shortest route, not the fastest. And don't forget to tune the radio to 181.fm The Eagle while you drive unless you like having that 1700rpm turbo whine drive you insane.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As a parable to real life:

I often have GiantBomb or YouTube or other such video content I mean to catch up with on my secondary monitor.

My insurance premiums are through the loving roof.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Sooooo excited about the DAF XF 105 remaster! I spent quite a long stretch of my time with ETS wanting to drIve a DAF, but the textures and sounds (especially the sounds) were just so much worse than my second choice Man that I just couldn't stick with it.

(http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/08/updated-daf-xf-105-is-coming.html)

Just install this mod https://github.com/50k-Customs/DAF-XF/releases/tag/v3.7 the guy who made it joined scs and its this mod that will be added into the game. It's pretty much my favorite truck, to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Promods 2.10 is now out, someone download it and tell me where all the invisible walls are.