Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Jastiger posted:

I think i deleted you when I saw you miss a shot or die or something.

Wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Efexeye posted:

hey genji can you please not be genji on a KOTH map
hey genji standing at the back line and sniping with throwing stars doesn't do much good on a KOTH map
genji we have no dps im begging you to switch
hey genji why are you just standing in the spawn room for 30 seconds every time you die
*lose in a 3-0 roll*
oh well, at least that guy got to play genji

voicechatinthetwenties.txt

KOTH picks can surprise you sometimes though!

I was like, there's no way. Widowmaker is going to contribute nothing. Ana is going to get killed constantly, easily. Tracer is going to get herself killed really easily too. This just seemed like a really unconventional team for KOTH. It turned out to be one of the easiest KOTH games I've experienced.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it comes down to relative player skills, more than the hero. its just the the player skill is often foreshadowed by their hero picks...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Macaluso posted:

I was like, there's no way. Widowmaker is going to contribute nothing. Ana is going to get killed constantly, easily. Tracer is going to get herself killed really easily too. This just seemed like a really unconventional team for KOTH. It turned out to be one of the easiest KOTH games I've experienced.

Tracer is really, really good at KOTH though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Tracer is really, really good at KOTH though.

She is but that's not the kind of team I'd expect to hold people's attention well enough to make good flanking opportunities for her.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Efexeye posted:

hey genji can you please not be genji on a KOTH map
hey genji standing at the back line and sniping with throwing stars doesn't do much good on a KOTH map
genji we have no dps im begging you to switch
hey genji why are you just standing in the spawn room for 30 seconds every time you die
*lose in a 3-0 roll*
oh well, at least that guy got to play genji

voicechatinthetwenties.txt

No one voice chats at all on the ps4 so the 20s features someone slam picking Torb in sudden death even though you were successful with him in the defense phase and knew that Tracer was going to try and rush the point, and you can do nothing but watch and try to fight a tracer off alone as Mercy in the point (that you chose to shut up the person spamming the "We need a healer" message while waiting). And then after you die, the team gets wiped turning around trying to book back to the point, like 40 minutes of game time a waste in a couple of minutes.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Macaluso posted:

If you think tracer is bad for KOTH you have no idea how this game works.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BillBear posted:

What's wrong with her?

Aside from resurrecting people, everything she can do can be done better by one of the other healers, despite the fact that she has the least survivability of any of them and is therefore awful at actually using the resurrect well.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

She is but that's not the kind of team I'd expect to hold people's attention well enough to make good flanking opportunities for her.

Did you not see the D.Va, Roadhog, and Junkrat?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are the servers holding up better today? I want to play some Overwatch!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The gold weapons look amazing with Genji's Olympic skin:
https://clips.twitch.tv/shadder2k/PoisedPigPartyTime

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Frankly, at the MMRs I think most people (some obvious exceptions exist, which I am definitely not) play at, "counters" and other such stuff is just overshadowed by relative skill. Sure McCree is supposed to shut down Pharah: Right now I have very little issue floating around as Pharah because most people can't hit poo poo, and the impact of a good player is felt a lot more based on their skill rather than their class pick.

Though yes, someone who shows up to see a team of Ana, Hanzo, and Widow and picks Hanzo again anyhow probably isn't going to be very good at the game mechanically either.

e: Of course my first Olympic skin is for Widow, who I already had a good skin for and also never play because I am very bad at clicking on heads.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ravenfood posted:

e: Of course my first Olympic skin is for Widow, who I already had a good skin for and also never play because I am very bad at clicking on heads.

I also got Widowmaker's Olympic skin, and I'm sad I never play her because I love the way the colors look. I also never play Mercy but damned if I don't want that red Mercy skin

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Edmond Dantes posted:

I should give Ana a try; I've been shying away from her because I'm a terrible sniper, but it looks like at least her ally hitboxes are quite forgiving, so it may work out.

Trip report:

I'm a terrible Ana.

I'll stick with Mercy.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

The only way to get better is to play that character.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Otisburg posted:

it puts you in a special potato queue to get a pride obliterating bitch slap alongside other potatos

funny how many people are actually super really great at overwatch, just being held back by their team. to hear it told no one is individually bad at this game, but everyone else on their team is. it's like a koan for zenyatta to ponder in his robobrain

well i mean, dunning-kruger aside teamwork and coordination are a skill unto themselves

i've seen games where one team shuts out all the cards but still loses because they've all got great aim and fundamentals but won't loving work together for two seconds

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Team SHAQ kickin rear end

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Edmond Dantes posted:

Trip report:

I'm a terrible Ana.

I'll stick with Mercy.
If your target is too far away and not a tank get used to quickscoping to heal them. Her rifle is hitscan when scoped and keeps the generous hitbox so it;s generally possible to hit strafing small characters that way.

Remember that even if you miss half your shots you're healing as much as Mercy, and that's not even taking the incredible burst healing of the grenade into account.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Hace posted:

Team SHAQ kickin rear end

Did seagull's team actually go with NRG?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

pakman posted:

https://twitter.com/NRGgg/status/760882147867578368

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Did you not see the D.Va, Roadhog, and Junkrat?

Junkrat's dead in half a second and the tanks would normally melt with just Ana backing them up. Obviously that didn't happen here but it sounds a lot more like it was a better team doing the heavy lifting rather than pure team composition

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

pakman posted:

Yup!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Make a separate Lucioball queue for people who think they're too badass to play goalie. And put them in with the peewee soccer ball chasers.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Let me tell you the tale of the best ps4 Genji ever. This man, at rank 57 in a game against people ranked 64 and up, started to get sucked into Zarya's orb. But fret not! He dashed out of it and ran and got a health pack. The rest of us (including my scrub rear end rank 56) admittedly died to said orb. But not Genji. No this man grabbed his health pack and valiantly jumped back onto the point to contest it against the entire enemy team. 1v6. Odds are he's gonna get melted by something right? gently caress no. This Genji god double jumped and sliced his way into killing all but one of em before our fat asses made it back to finish off the last one.

As mush as I despise Genji that man was clearly mvp of our team and I am forever grateful he was on our team. That said I think the game thinks I should be way higher than I am (now rank 57 thanks to that Genji!) because it keeps matching me with people ranked 59-65.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Genji is terribly designed and the game could only benefit from his being massively overhauled, imo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Genji is terribly designed and the game could only benefit from his being massively overhauled, imo.

i disagree

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I level up quickly. Boy I'm glad I prestiged the day this update hit.

Leveled up again today, opened up a box. Two golden discs fly into the air and.....!

FUUUUUCKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

pakman posted:

Yall should keep up with the try-hard thread. We talk pro OW in there.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Remove reflect or don't allow it to reflect bombs and I'll be okay with him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Remove reflect or don't allow it to reflect bombs and I'll be okay with him.

As a career Tracer player it's actually good and hilarious that he can reflect bombs.

git gud and bait the reflect or watch to see if he's already used it

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Verranicus posted:

Genji is very balanced and easy to counter though??

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As a career Tracer player it's actually good and hilarious that he can reflect bombs.

I am just very biased because I loving hate any form of reflect in an fps. I'm getting better at anticipating when a Genji will dash through me so that I can turn around as he's doing it and shooting him.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I would really like it if Genji had some weakness beyond Winston. Like, I don't know, maybe he has to be FACING the projectiles in order to reflect projectiles. I'm not even sure if that's a bug, but I've hooked Genjis from behind while they were using reflect and the hook just bounces right off them.

Maybe take away his ability to deflect rockets since that's stupid and makes no sense? Maybe let melee attacks hit him while he's in reflect stance?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

I am just very biased because I loving hate any form of reflect in an fps. I'm getting better at anticipating when a Genji will dash through me so that I can turn around as he's doing it and shooting him.

I love reflects, and... stances? Parries? Whatever you call those abilities where you immobilize yourself or otherwise give up some advantage, but if someone shoots you bad things happen to them / good things happen to you.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I love reflects, and... stances? Parries? Whatever you call those abilities where you immobilize yourself or otherwise give up some advantage, but if someone shoots you bad things happen to them / good things happen to you.

Genji does not immobilize himself.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hace posted:

Genji is very balanced and easy to counter though??

How? Keep in mind that half the time he's boosted by Ana these days.

I used to think Genji was fine because he was one of the hardest characters to play. Right now the game has been out long enough that you've got countless players who've jumped through that skill-ceiling and will just terrorize the backline of a team, both with and without his ultimate. I find myself playing a lot of Torbjorn just because I know Genji's not going to Dragonblade with a level 2 turret up. I also play Winston, but he just seems to melt when facing Ana + Zenyatta and I see that combination a lot these days.

I think the remainder of his kit is fine, but Dragonblade needs to be tuned somehow that isn't just "takes longer to charge".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 3, 2016

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If he reflects a Tracer bomb and it sticks to you, can you still blow him up by giving him a hug?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Why in the world does it take 3 minutes (minimum) on PC to get into a game, and about 30 seconds on PS4? Doesn't help that people leave at the end of a game and then I get stuck re-queuing again.

And I am terrible at offensive heroes so I am happy there are more than enough pubs to play that role.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

KingShiro posted:

Why in the world does it take 3 minutes (minimum) on PC to get into a game, and about 30 seconds on PS4? Doesn't help that people leave at the end of a game and then I get stuck re-queuing again.

And I am terrible at offensive heroes so I am happy there are more than enough pubs to play that role.

It's not 3 minutes but it takes long here too, I don't get it either. Then you play one round and it's time for:

:argh:

(PC, Quick Play, Americas servers)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Mierenneuker posted:

How? Keep in mind that half the time he's boosted by Ana these days.

I used to think Genji was fine because he was one of the hardest characters to play. Right now the game has been out long enough that you've got countless players who've jumped through that skill-ceiling and will just terrorize the backline of a team, both with and without his ultimate. I find myself playing a lot of Torbjorn just because I know Genji's not going to Dragonblade with a level 2 turret up. I also play Winston, but he just seems to melt when facing Ana + Zenyatta and I see that combination a lot these days.

I think the remainder of his kit is fine, but Dragonblade needs to be tuned somehow that isn't just "takes longer to charge".

Yeah, i've been noticing a lot of genji superstars in QP now, some of these guys are as good as, if not better than even some of the guys who play in the goon in-house. It's getting obnoxious. drat you Seagull and your informative stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Never takes me more than 30 seconds to find a comp match, playing on the NA server on PC.