Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

holy poo poo, imagine not taking the money

You'd get fired and probably investigated by the IRS as soon as it got out that he tries that with every reporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So will last weeks DNC Convention go down as the most impactful of all time? Because it may have actually killed Trumps campaign and possibly the Republican Party as a whole.

I'm seeing an easy parallel between this and the 1988 campaign. Popular incumbent, cabinet member running for their third term. Race looks close or winnable by challenger until the convention and then it's just over.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

I think that the Republicans will try to force out Trump, who will then either sink the party or run a third party ticket.
I see the Democrats working with or even compromising on issues with any Republicans that will agree to work with them.

I unfortunately have no faith that the Democrats will take this historic opportunity to gently caress the Republican party, not unless Trump causes them to take the house and Senate.
The Dems have seen what they get when they try to play nice/by the rules with the GOP in Congress.

hosed.

There's blood in the water, on the walls, coming out of...whatever. You're forgetting one other important detail as well: Hillary loving Clinton is going to be POTUS. She's been the target of the GOP smear machine for the past quarter century. Many people noted during her acceptance speech during the DNC that sometimes she has trouble connecting directly with large groups emotionally, except when she was expressing contempt for the Republicans. Like no damper or stage fright or self control could stop that pure, unadulterated poo poo from shining through. From January 2017 until late 2019 every time the GOP tries to obstruct or pull stupid poo poo all she has to do is look them in the eye and say, "You let Donald Trump happen. You're lucky to still have a loving job. I'll be happy to bring up this fact in every press conference if you can't play ball." Sure there are weenie Dems that will have some ability to poo poo things up, but you're gonna have Nancy Pelosi in the house controlling with an iron fist so that part's shored up.

And that's assuming the Trumpster fire doesn't continue to the point where 30% of the GOP base doesn't vote/stays home (because Donald's not the nominee) so they lose the House and Senate.

It's kind of hard to articulate how I feel about this situation. The people who have been fanning the conspiracy machine, attacking Hillary for having the temerity to not be content to stay home and bake loving cookies for 25 years have, in the same year that she finally gets the nom for President of the loving United States, managed to time all their horrible policies and stances since 1980 to come to fruition in an orange goblin who is ruining everything. As ye sow, so shall ye reap, etc. And it's loving magical. If you wrote a novel about this 5 years ago you couldn't sell it because it's just too goddamned farfetched. The Onion couldn't write this poo poo and still have it be called satire. If I drink any more from the well of schadenfreude I'm going to die of irony toxicity.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I wish people would stop making fun of trump's tiny hands. It reminds me of my tiny hands... Wait, no I don't, as I don't care while it needles him.

Though, it does sadden me as I gave up trying to play the piano when I was young because my fingers were too short and I really wanted to play the piano... Still do.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

iospace posted:

The GOP has three major blocs right now:

1. The Rich, FYGM elite. Really don't seem to care much as long as they get taxed less, yet want more military spending because it usually flows back to their pockets (Romney).
2. The Tea Partiers, or "Freedom Caucus". Usually bigoted, and usually shitheels who have no clue how to actually run a government (Vaping dude).
3. Evangelicals. Drives the anti-LGBTQ and pro-Christianity, anti-Muslim portions of the party (Huckabee).

Trump's support comes primarily from #2. This portion was courted with Nixon, and really became active when Obama got elected (you can guess why). Trump is likely to be the climax of this bloc, but that remains to be seen.

Trump has the virulent racist wing of the tea party but he doesn't jive with the burn down all of Washington wing, so it's not really a good fit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kaleedity posted:

If the RNC does get to the point where they drop Trump, the most important questions are who gets to tell him he's fired and will it be filmed live

For the Nth time people, the RNC cannot drop Trump. Trump has to step down or become incapacitated and while the former isn't likely without a multi-billion dollar bribe the latter isn't going to happen unless some GOPers snap and beat him savagely.

emdash posted:

Repub Congress is already split that way, the House Freedom Caucus refuses to govern and the Speaker of the House is powerless to corral them

If Ryan wasn't such a partisan shithead he'd tell the Freedom Caucus to eat poo poo and then start bringing up bills that can pass with Dem support.

He prefers his right wing power and reelection over anything else though, because working with the dems would get a shitload of focus put on ousting him from the right.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Trump was stopped by a man holding up a copy of the Constitution like a dude driving a vampire away with a cross.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Edit: ^^^^ Why is this not a political cartoon already, what the hell

Mahoning posted:

Well they're all self-serving little fucks, so yes, they'll support him as long as he doesn't openly hurt their chances of getting re-elected.

Which comes as no surprise to the jaded wonks on this dying comedy forum, but it's pretty glorious to see it so undeniably out in the public light of day. I'd really love to see Reince get some hard questions on this (he won't).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Clinton currently sitting at 85% on the NowCast.

Nate Silver drew one hell of a fish!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Giant Iron Cross on stage at this Trump Rally for some reason. https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/760923700858413060

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Goatman Sacks posted:

So I keep hearing about these Iranian "hostages" - were they innocent and we traded known spies for them, or were they probably guilty as poo poo and rightfully arrested?

lol at you putting Iran and rightfully arrested in the same sentence

come on son

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Le Saboteur posted:

Giant Iron Cross on stage at this Trump Rally for some reason. https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/760923700858413060

Is the Iron Cross a nazi thing? I can never remember all the different racist flags.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

So to push you over the edge I'd like to remind everyone that should Hillary win her AG will be overseeing the prosecution of the Baylor title IX sexual assault and cover up case. To get why you'll be dying of irony toxicity look up who the chancellor of Baylor was when that poo poo went down.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

It was heavily used by the German Army in both WWI and WWII its just some strange German imagery out of nowhere.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

It was heavily used by the German Army in both WWI and WWII its just some strange German imagery out of nowhere.
Yea it isn't explicitly facist/nazi related but, uh, a bit of an odd conclusion unless you're trying to evoke facist imagery without actually using it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

It's used by the modern German armed forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundeswehr

Still weird.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

holy poo poo, imagine not taking the money

Take the money, tell them you won't run the story, and then run the story.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

axeil posted:

If you did that though you'd have to donate it.

Which I'm fine with.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

axeil posted:

Take the money, piss in the envelope right in front of them, throw the soggy envelope on their shoes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

axeil posted:

Then the Chinese mob will kill you

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

lol do you mean the Florida flag?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Is it too early to buy a really nice bottle of something and label it GOP Tears: to be consumed 11/8?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

If you did that though you'd have to donate it.

Which I'm fine with.

Oh yeah. Also you might run into FCPA stuff but IANAL so I'm not sure.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm legitimately not seeing it, someone want to point it out? The only things I see on stage are the American flag and Florida state flag next to each other, where is it in relation to those?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

lol do you mean the Florida flag?

Oh poo poo thats what it must be, looks like an Iron Cross from far off. I'm admittedly not familiar with American state flags.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm legitimately not seeing it, someone want to point it out? The only things I see on stage are the American flag and Florida state flag next to each other, where is it in relation to those?

The Florida flag could look like one if you could only see in black&white and were also mostly blind.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Josh Lyman posted:

Then the Chinese mob will kill you

after you take $200K from them they won't be able to afford a triad assassin

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

At this point I'm starting to think that on the off, off, off chance Trump won, we'd see a 25th amendment removal almost immediately.

Also that his name will be so toxic that his name licensing revenues are going to dry the gently caress up. No one is going to want anything to do with this guy if it includes his name on it in some prominent fashion, and his ego wouldn't allow it to not be.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Le Saboteur posted:

Oh poo poo thats what it must be, looks like an Iron Cross from far off. I'm admittedly not familiar with American state flags.

It's OK, I lived in Florida for 10 years and I did a double take when I saw that flag too.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

The seal in the center does sort of wash out in the photo, and as it is a Trump rally, you could be forgiven for the mistake

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

iospace posted:

The GOP has three major blocs right now:

1. The Rich, FYGM elite. Really don't seem to care much as long as they get taxed less, yet want more military spending because it usually flows back to their pockets (Romney).
2. The Tea Partiers, or "Freedom Caucus". Usually bigoted, and usually shitheels who have no clue how to actually run a government (Vaping dude).
3. Evangelicals. Drives the anti-LGBTQ and pro-Christianity, anti-Muslim portions of the party (Huckabee).

Trump's support comes primarily from #2. This portion was courted with Nixon, and really became active when Obama got elected (you can guess why). Trump is likely to be the climax of this bloc, but that remains to be seen.

Evangelicals like Trump too because they are mega racist as well.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Evangelicals like Trump too because they are mega racist as well.

And also because the prosperity gospel poo poo has been making huge in-roads among that crowd for the last few decades so they're now a hybrid Evangelical/FYGM base.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

this footage of trump rallies is fairly terrifying

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/pol...WT.nav=top-news

I still think the best comparison I've seen about Trump rallies is the rallies from The Wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoPpw7DNzCY&t=53s

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

A Winner is Jew posted:

So to push you over the edge I'd like to remind everyone that should Hillary win her AG will be overseeing the prosecution of the Baylor title IX sexual assault and cover up case. To get why you'll be dying of irony toxicity look up who the chancellor of Baylor was when that poo poo went down.
Oh, I'm already well aware of this one. Like, I'm an atheist, but this kind of poo poo is almost enough to make me believe in a benevolent god/Jesus being totally right.

I mean, I'm a cis woman and somehow I'm suffering from a major case of priapism that is only getting worse with each hour in the news cycle.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

ReidRansom posted:

At this point I'm starting to think that on the off, off, off chance Trump won, we'd see a 25th amendment removal almost immediately.

What?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Crow Jane posted:

Is it too early to buy a really nice bottle of something and label it GOP Tears: to be consumed 11/8?

There's no way Trump recovers from this news cycle. He's beyond toxic at this point - Jeb Bush's national security adviser publicly stated that Trump's a madman and the GOPe are turning their backs on him. Barring a 9/11 repeat or economic collapse Hill-dog's going to win the election.

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009
Trump word salad served and hour late in Daytona Florida.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Trump just blamed 9/11 on Hillary at his rally in Daytona.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

BeefThief posted:

Trump just blamed 9/11 on Hillary at his rally in Daytona.

You, you're kidding, right? You absolutely have to be kidding. No way he would be that dumb.

e: I'm seeing a bunch of stuff of him saying the USA is like a third world nation, which :lol:

e2: He opened by saying he loves Nascar :magical:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Generally political instability or terrorism means support for the right, but would that really work here? If people are scared and want to be protected do they go for safe/stable Clinton or erratic carrot man even if he talks tough to brown people?

• Locked thread