Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
so apparently Trump raised a lot of money last month. who knows how effective it can possibly be at this point http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-fundraising-july-2016-226615

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sean10mm posted:

USPOL August: The Vindication of Prester Jane by the Narcissist Donald Trump

:golfclap:

I do have to admit that when I read Prester's analysis of Trump as a narcissist I didn't quite buy her prediction that he'd have a total breakdown but, well, here we are and I was wrong as gently caress.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

When are the Isies this year?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

holy poo poo they have it on tape too

https://vimeo.com/177295919

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dexo posted:

Prester Jane stuff

:stare:

Holy poo poo!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Sword of Chomsky posted:

So is anyone else worried about an uptick in right wing militia groups and other anti government groups?

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/760932576001339392?s=09
Not excessively. I think they kinda peaked with having a black man as president (since they're also hella racist generally), but also the genie is out of the bottle and establishment Republicans might find themselves on the receiving end of some crazy. They can't whip up the nut base as much as you can pretty much guarantee they're "part of the problem" according to the now-vocal racists in the party for not supporting Trump.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

emdash posted:

so apparently Trump raised a lot of money last month. who knows how effective it can possibly be at this point http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-fundraising-july-2016-226615

No, the RNC raised the bulk of that money. Trump did not.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
RADIUM!

But also buried in that:

By comparison, Clinton's campaign alone reported Tuesday that it had $58 million in the bank and raised $63 million directly through the campaign and an additional $26 million for the Democratic National Committee and state parties, for an overall total approaching $90 million.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dexo posted:

Prester Jane
Ok, is this person qualified to draw these conclusions?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also, isn't he kinda too late anyway? 'August' is not when you should be STARTING your ad buys or campaign spending.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is that money all for him or does some of it go to local party efforts?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I'm going to worry about a violent backlash from this election because it's getting harder to worry about Hillary losing.

Gotta arzy about something.

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/760933431891075073?s=09

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

nice

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

this footage of trump rallies is fairly terrifying

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/pol...WT.nav=top-news
Muslim isn't a religion part'nur.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Also, isn't he kinda too late anyway? 'August' is not when you should be STARTING your ad buys or campaign spending.

That's also true. And for reference HRC campaign (itself, not its two incredibly well funded SUPERPacs) already has over 100m in reserved airtime for ads, while Trump has around a million.

He also still doesn't have a ground operation in place in major states, while Clinton has people building a ground game already.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crows Turn Off posted:

No.

Fun reading and all, but it's basically a giant D&D circlejerk confirming all your worst suspicions: the opposition is literally crazy and deficient

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I'm going to worry about a violent backlash from this election because it's getting harder to worry about Hillary losing.

Trump ain't stoppin' til he gets minorities and women to 0%

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Crows Turn Off posted:

Depends on what you mean by "qualified." IIRC PJ has a lot of first-hand personal experience with personality cult psychos but isn't a psychologist or anything like that.

It's a fun read and not much more, though to be fair to PJ there have been people who DO have real qualifications who have come out and said he is in fact a straight-up clinical narcissist as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Crows Turn Off posted:

quote:

I am not an expert nor do I have any higher education. I am a schizophrenic (full diagnosis Bi-Polar Type II Schizoaffective, PTSD, possible mild autism, depression) trans-woman (only recently out to myself) raised in a hardcore Authoritarian cult. I have only four years of proper education (High School) with the rest of my education being handled either directly at the cult or in home schooling under the supervision of the cult. My childhood was extremely painful and controlled. I did not have a social security number until I was 18 because social security numbers were the mark of the beast. I did not find out about the birds and the bees until two years after I entered puberty and was having erections. (I thought my erections where a curse from God for my impure thoughts and tried desperately to hide them). I have been involved in a variety of other cults and proto-cults in my adult life. I have also had the great fortune to be involved with some truly remorseless people that gave me an insight into just what humans will do to each other. (Many years ago I had a life insurance policy that named my business partner at the time as sole beneficiary, one of our mutual acquaintances repeatedly tried to pitch this business partner on killing me for the insurance money.)

Of interest I am sure to some who may remember me I was a Kyoon-esque poster on these forums many years ago. My forums name back then was Truckin A Man and I used to spray Ron Paul/9-11 Truth/Anti-Vaxxer insanity on these forums (and early LF) back around 2007. (I have previously owned up to this before in the Conspiracy thread.) I also spent many years under a complicated delusion where the voice of the biblical prophet Enoch was giving me instructions to prepare for the final war between Heaven and Hell. I based major life decisions on Enoch's instructions (what jobs to take, where to live, who to befriend, etc).

So yeah, take everything i say with a grain of salt. I am a crazy person. A self aware crazy person perhaps, but still a crazy person.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FairGame posted:

No.

Fun reading and all, but it's basically a giant D&D circlejerk confirming all your worst suspicions: the opposition is literally crazy and deficient

I mean, Trump makes it pretty easy to draw the conclusion that he's literally crazy and deficient.

I don't necessarily buy PJ's conclusion that Trump will try to incite violence, but her prediction of a very visible meltdown is looking more likely by the day.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

sean10mm posted:

Depends on what you mean by "qualified." IIRC PJ has a lot of first-hand personal experience with personality cult psychos but isn't a psychologist.

I believe she even says in her lengthy post that she is in no way a professional or qualified to diagnose someone, but given her experience she laid out a convincing argument.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Crows Turn Off posted:

Oh my no

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FairGame posted:

No.

On the other hand: seems to be holding up so far!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Have you forgotten about the persuasive powers of Trump's Taco Bowl?

EDIT: poo poo. Now I want a taco bowl.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

sean10mm posted:

Depends on what you mean by "qualified." IIRC PJ has a lot of first-hand personal experience with personality cult psychos but isn't a psychologist.

Yeah, PJ is someone with legit mental disorders (currently undergoing treatment) who first started posting about moving to Texas to be homeless since a city there has a great track record of helping them get better. She was also raised by christian fundamentalists who home schooled her in much the same way that the Duggars are home schooled but somehow even worse and is a really good insight into just how hosed up the far christian right wing is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Here's what people who are qualified say about Trump:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/the-mind-of-donald-trump/480771/

quote:

For psychologists, it is almost impossible to talk about Donald Trump without using the word narcissism. Asked to sum up Trump’s personality for an article in Vanity Fair, Howard Gardner, a psychologist at Harvard, responded, “Remarkably narcissistic.” George Simon, a clinical psychologist who conducts seminars on manipulative behavior, says Trump is “so classic that I’m archiving video clips of him to use in workshops because there’s no better example” of narcissism. “Otherwise I would have had to hire actors and write vignettes. He’s like a dream come true.”

Emphasis mine because LOL.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dick Trauma posted:

Have you forgotten about the persuasive powers of Trump's Taco Bowl?

EDIT: poo poo. Now I want a taco bowl.
The best taco bowls are made in the grill at Trump Tower, of course.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Harrow posted:

I mean, Trump makes it pretty easy to draw the conclusion that he's literally crazy and deficient.

I don't necessarily buy PJ's conclusion that Trump will try to incite violence, but her prediction of a very visible meltdown is looking more likely by the day.

I believe I made an avatar bet with PJ that Trump would not call Clinton a oval office/whore/some other extremely offensive woman-specific insult during the debates.

I am going to win that bet. Trump's nuts (no idea if it's true in a clinical sense, but holy poo poo), but this armchair psychologist stuff is silly, in my opinion.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

Isn't it illegal to NOT put ramps or handicap access on newly constructed buildings?

You can't even do it; building inspectors wouldn't pass a building for occupancy that doesn't comply with ADA standards.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
My favorite thing about Trump's rally earlier: He revealed to the world that he doesn't know what the word grovel means.

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/760947560613806080

Donald J. Trump posted:

So, so you know what the word grovel is, right? When you're groveling. In other words, you're trying to tell something, you're trying to make something up. You're groveling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My own (not particularly well-reasoned) take is that Trump will use accusations of voter fraud and a "rigged" election as an explanation for why he, a certified winner, lost the election (assuming the apocalypse doesn't come and he doesn't somehow win). Inciting violence or civil war doesn't seem to be his MO. That's not to say that his supporters won't do that all on their own (and that he won't just maybe wink and nod in their direction), but he won't actively incite it. The belief that the only way you can lose is if the opposition cheats is a good way for him to maintain his self-image as a winner while still losing.

FairGame posted:

I believe I made an avatar bet with PJ that Trump would not call Clinton a oval office/whore/some other extremely offensive woman-specific insult during the debates.

I am going to win that bet. Trump's nuts (no idea if it's true in a clinical sense, but holy poo poo), but this armchair psychologist stuff is silly, in my opinion.

Yeah, I also agree that he's not going to call Clinton a gendered insult during the debates. Trump doesn't actually use much vulgar language himself, as far as I can tell. He may well accuse her of some outlandish offenses, call her "Crooked Hillary" over and over, and just generally babble, but I don't think he's going to go on some misogynistic rant.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/hannahfc/status/760950919466856449

Hillary is just basking in this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I believe she even says in her lengthy post that she is in no way a professional or qualified to diagnose someone, but given her experience she laid out a convincing argument.

This - take her thoughts on many topics with a serving of salt, but she also produces interesting and useful insights, especially the closer the topic gets to her own lived experience. And apparently she does have some personal familiarity with narcissists, so while the most pessimistic elements may be a bit overboard, it's a handy visualization of how and why narcissists narcissize.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

They are keeping Trump's people out of his rallies, of course she likes them.

AND THEY NEVER PAN THE CAMERAS!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Harrow posted:

My own (not particularly well-reasoned) take is that Trump will use accusations of voter fraud and a "rigged" election as an explanation for why he, a certified winner, lost the election (assuming the apocalypse doesn't come and he doesn't somehow win). Inciting violence or civil war doesn't seem to be his MO. That's not to say that his supporters won't do that all on their own (and that he won't just maybe wink and nod in their direction), but he won't actively incite it. The belief that the only way you can lose is if the opposition cheats is a good way for him to maintain his self-image as a winner while still losing.

http://mashable.com/2012/11/06/trump-reacts-to-election/#vxeMfaRdZiqF

Hell yeah it's his MO

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, PJ is someone with legit mental disorders (currently undergoing treatment) who first started posting about moving to Texas to be homeless since a city there has a great track record of helping them get better. She was also raised by christian fundamentalists who home schooled her in much the same way that the Duggars are home schooled but somehow even worse and is a really good insight into just how hosed up the far christian right wing is.

Man I thought I had it bad with the christian right parents but PJ had it so bad. That thread linked earlier is a hell of a read.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
W/r/t a bunch of stupid rednecks with guns doing something "real". I imagine that it would have similar after math as the OK City Bombing and give the FBI and non-wingnuts in the gov a very good excuse to drop the hammer. and the non wingnut public opinion instant swings against them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/insiders-game-out-clintons-cabinet-226599

politico makes a bunch of poo poo up about the potential cabinet, but worth a read

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

Oh are we only letting licensed people post study-worthy conclusions in USPOL now? Phew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Of course Hillary Clinton is in favor of regulation. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread