Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

tomanton posted:

How many new games have you done? I stuck with the community center for my second and was able to at least have it by the second day of winter, so only about a week of cranberry downtime.

I also took Lumberjack in the latest run and was pretty underwhelmed, it averaged out to about 1 hardwood per 3 trees but the drops were so inconsistent (one tree would drop 5 hardwood and then the next ten would drop nothing) it was always way easier to just visit the secret woods. This is anecdotal but Forester also seemed way harder to level up than Gatherer, maybe because you're missing out on a lot of XP without the double harvest.
The hardwood thing is real useless. It would be cool if hardwood sold for a decent amount of money. It'd give incentive to hit the secret forest more, and it'd buff that otherwise useless trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Really Pants posted:

Here's the exact radius:

You'll only need extra scarecrows in the middle of your fields if they're more than 16 squares across. Otherwise, edgecrows should suffice.

I am doing it right then. This game just expects you to know so much I figured I would ask.

I think I also hosed up because I was still under the impression that the increased growth perk was still broken. Is the 50% extra value on artisan gooda a better choice?

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Khorne posted:

The hardwood thing is real useless.

Confirmed :( I wanted a ton of hardwood fencing on my farm this playthrough but the grinding it took just to hit that perk gave me more than enough.

limp_cheese posted:

Is the 50% extra value on artisan gooda a better choice?

If you plan ahead to have a sufficient number of oak tappers/kegs it's gamebreaking. I earned double the gold in half the time.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Khorne posted:

The hardwood thing is real useless. It would be cool if hardwood sold for a decent amount of money. It'd give incentive to hit the secret forest more, and it'd buff that otherwise useless trait.

A much better perk would have been Forester grants 50% more wood per tree, and then the capstone ability cuts sap/resin production time by 50%, or increases tree growth rates on your farm for wood and fruit trees.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

A much better perk would have been Forester grants 50% more wood per tree,

That would have been amazing :stare:

Actually I would have wanted to see more skills benefit you in a more innovative and long term way than flat increases to money.

Money is very relative and things like "wood is worth more" and especially "fish is worth more" are of limited use early on and no use later on.

Hardwood from regular trees is certainly in the right direction.

A great crop based farming perk would be something like "tilled soil is automatically watered" or "tilled soil remains tilled for three days" Or a cost reduction for Iridium sprinklers to make it accept Iridium ore instead of bars maybe.

That animals accumulate happiness faster is a good animal based perk. That crops grow faster on the other hand is an odd perk because for most crops it doesn't seem to lead to increased number of harvests anyway.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 4, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, there is room to make forestry a legit profession in the game. My farm has basically an entire half dedicated to managed forest, with paths, shitloads of tappers, and managed harvest/replanting. Boosting wood production at level 5 would be great for early and late game, and increasing tree growth or decreasing sap production time would put forestry on better footing with ranching and artisan professions.

I got burned out pretty quickly on ranching/artisan, so I'm trying some new configurations in jobs to make the early part of each day less of a slog.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there anywhere you can buy milk and eggs? I'm tempted to sell all my chickens and cows and such, but I don't wanna give up my cheese or egg producers. I like having pepper poppers on hand.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The traveling merchant will very occasionally have an egg or a milk. That's it.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Really Pants posted:

The traveling merchant will very occasionally have an egg or a milk. That's it.

No wonder they sell for 40gold!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

rotinaj posted:

Is there anywhere you can buy milk and eggs? I'm tempted to sell all my chickens and cows and such, but I don't wanna give up my cheese or egg producers. I like having pepper poppers on hand.

Pierre will start carrying crops if you sell him enough of them (have to be sold directly to him I think.) Has anyone tried selling peirre 40 or 80 eggs/milk to see if you can get him to carry them? Or tried the same thing with Marne?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

LLSix posted:

Pierre will start carrying crops if you sell him enough of them (have to be sold directly to him I think.) Has anyone tried selling peirre 40 or 80 eggs/milk to see if you can get him to carry them? Or tried the same thing with Marne?

That's an interesting idea. I'm going to completely wind down my meager animal operation as soon as bundles are done.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Back when I did cooking I would just buy something like 40 cows. Milk them once a day (milk quality makes no difference) until I had 200 cheese and then sell the cows and demolish the barn.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
People keep talking about multiple playthroughs. I have no idea what you guys are getting out of multiple playthroughs considering everything except your marriage partner is accessible on all saves. I put 100 hours in my one save and I still don't have all the achievements.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Met posted:

People keep talking about multiple playthroughs. I have no idea what you guys are getting out of multiple playthroughs considering everything except your marriage partner is accessible on all saves. I put 100 hours in my one save and I still don't have all the achievements.

For me the game loses it's pull when you reach infinite money.

So far I have done:

First random meander playthrough

Serious face crop/artisan based playthrough

Animal based playthrough

Currently I am on am orchard playthrough. Just crops and no artisan stuff and then moving on to fruit trees only. The problem with orchards being that 30 trees cost something like a hundred thousand gold and generate around 4500 gold per day and have to be harvested 9 times per season (and the fruits fly all over the place)

I want to get into animals but having to poke every single animal twice per day just becomes such a bother. At the same time the game has no way to denote what animals you have and haven't poked.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Met posted:

isnt one achievement for completing joja corp payments and another for completing the community center?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

a7m2 posted:

isnt one achievement for completing joja corp payments and another for completing the community center?

You're right. That's pretty dumb that it's the only achievement that requires a second play through.

I suppose playing an animal based farm is sufficiently different to warrant another playthrough since there's no legit way to edit your specialization in game. But it's easy enough to edit your save file to change that.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Met posted:

You're right. That's pretty dumb that it's the only achievement that requires a second play through.

I suppose playing an animal based farm is sufficiently different to warrant another playthrough since there's no legit way to edit your specialization in game. But it's easy enough to edit your save file to change that.

yeah, i hate achievements like that. fable: anniversary did achievements really well despite its other faults. most achievements can be gotten in two completely different ways and makes it so that you can do everything in a single playthrough

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

There's also the limited space of the farm to consider when you want industrialize any particular activity.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You could break down the community center at any time before it's complete, right? Once you have an absurd amount of money, couldn't you just pay the 5000 to get the warehouse, complete what you need to complete, get the achievement, and then quit your game without saving?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can only complete one portion per day that gets built overnight. Game autosaves at night.

But presumably you can just backup your save file.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Met posted:

Stardew Valley is an efficiency simulator, that means getting 100% achievements is not good enough. This is the kind of game where you can very easily do Speed Runs (minimum number of days to reach $1,000,000 or Finish community center, etc). You could also do ethics challenge runs like Nethack, maybe a mineless run, or 10 stars social by year one run, or try to make the most money by Day 15 or whatever etc.

There are lots of reasons to do another play through!

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't know it was possible to even complete the community center in year one. Feel like year one was a tutorial for the main game or something, it was a complete shitshow for me.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If you go a new game knowing exactly what you'll need getting everything done by year one isn't too bad. For example you can knock out like 2/3s of the fish in 2 summer days.

Some of it is going to be pure merchant luck though.

Going for completion, like shipping every item, isn't generally possible in one though.

Also he really is taking his sweet rear end time with 1.1 here, I hope there's a good amount of new stuff to pull me back.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 5, 2016

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

1.1 will probably launch on September 20th, but that's mostly just because I believe the universe is already trying to spite me with that Dragon Quest 7 3DS/Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse/Final Fantasy XV combo.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

1.1 will probably launch on September 20th, but that's mostly just because I believe the universe is already trying to spite me with that Dragon Quest 7 3DS/Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse/Final Fantasy XV combo.

WHAT

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Multiple playthroughs are also fun because of how stressful the early game can be. You tend to forget about how much fun the grind is during Spring and Summer 1, and the payoff once you start getting poo poo in order is really great.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Multiple playthroughs are also fun because of how stressful the early game can be. You tend to forget about how much fun the grind is during Spring and Summer 1, and the payoff once you start getting poo poo in order is really great.

There are also lots of deep and interesting Stardew Valley mods to explore on a second play! Like this "replace the horse with an Abigail centaur" mod:
http://stardewmods.com/resources/abigail-centaur-horse-replacement.90/

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COByJt4WXw
(I love this because it's a minute long trailer that says "This is a JRPG")

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COByJt4WXw
(I love this because it's a minute long trailer that says "This is a JRPG")

If there's a DragonQuest VII thread I hope the title is Let's Discover Battle

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Rutibex posted:

There are also lots of deep and interesting Stardew Valley mods to explore on a second play! Like this "replace the horse with an Abigail centaur" mod:
This should go to Awesome/Awful Game Mods thread. Not really sure how I feel about it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Well, she still has a top on so I would have expected worse from modders.

I admit thanks to Quest for Glory, I equate Centaurs with farmers anyways :v: Does that mod make her sell 10 packs of apples for cheap so I can help a frost giant make booze?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Depending on who you married that could be even more hilariously wrong.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rutibex posted:

how much does her cheese sell for

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Poil posted:

Depending on who you married that could be even more hilariously wrong.

We require a mod where the characters are combined. They're a centaur to begin with and you ride your wife/husband around all day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gamerofthegame posted:

abby dyes her hair, nerd.

the person you're thinking of is jas anyway

Nah, it's definitely Abigail. There are like four or five bits of dialogue that imply it and only the "dyes her hair" comment from Caroline to suggest otherwise.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Centabby should be wearing a shirt.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, it's definitely Abigail. There are like four or five bits of dialogue that imply it and only the "dyes her hair" comment from Caroline to suggest otherwise.

She also says that her hair stayed that color, even when she stopped dying it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Centabby should be wearing a shirt.

Abbytaur :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Abibomination

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I am playing this game and having fun, but I dunno if I'm missing something when it comes to interacting with the people in town. Do I just have to give them more and more gifts until I can talk to them and get different dialogue? Am I meant to just wander around the town and hope I run into random cutscenes? Because I'm in my first autumn/fall now and outside of the town festivals I've seen a cutscene where Linus is rummaging through a bin, and a couple of times I've talked to NPCs and they've asked me like, how I feel about farming and things like that, but I'm wondering if there's more I should be seeing and if i'm doing something wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Red Bones posted:

I am playing this game and having fun, but I dunno if I'm missing something when it comes to interacting with the people in town. Do I just have to give them more and more gifts until I can talk to them and get different dialogue? Am I meant to just wander around the town and hope I run into random cutscenes? Because I'm in my first autumn/fall now and outside of the town festivals I've seen a cutscene where Linus is rummaging through a bin, and a couple of times I've talked to NPCs and they've asked me like, how I feel about farming and things like that, but I'm wondering if there's more I should be seeing and if i'm doing something wrong here.

Most of the character development stuff is locked behind your affection rating, yeah.

The people you can marry have events for every two heart levels, some of them are annoying to trigger so if you haven't seen any of them you should check the wiki to find out where/when to go for them.