Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I'd chip in 100 bucks if anyone could get "Yakety Sax" played over the PA at a Trump Rally. It really should be his official campaign song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A lot of veterans I know are either being silent about the Khan thing or grumbling about it. A few have outright switched to third party. My dad told me he's voting democrat for the first time in his life. He'll still vote R on down ticket though.

Trump is doing more for democrats than they ever could.

He's making America great again by uniting everyone against him.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Most of Trump's supporters would have voted for the Republican candidate regardless, but I think it's extremely likely Trump would've run as an independent if he'd been ratfucked out of the nomination and it'd be even more of a mess for the GOP.

I'm guessing turnout amongst those people would have been depressed. Even though there's evil Crooked Hillary to vote against still, I don't think that's as much of a driving factor for them as the existence of Donald "make not being white illegal" Trump

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/hannahfc/status/760950919466856449

I bet.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lemming posted:

I'm guessing turnout amongst those people would have been depressed. Even though there's evil Crooked Hillary to vote against still, I don't think that's as much of a driving factor for them as the existence of Donald "make not being white illegal" Trump

Can you imagine the electoral carnage if this were a four-way race between Clinton, Cruz/Kasich, Trump as an independent, and Gary Johnson?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Harrow posted:

My own (not particularly well-reasoned) take is that Trump will use accusations of voter fraud and a "rigged" election as an explanation for why he, a certified winner, lost the election (assuming the apocalypse doesn't come and he doesn't somehow win). Inciting violence or civil war doesn't seem to be his MO. That's not to say that his supporters won't do that all on their own (and that he won't just maybe wink and nod in their direction), but he won't actively incite it. The belief that the only way you can lose is if the opposition cheats is a good way for him to maintain his self-image as a winner while still losing.

http://mashable.com/2012/11/06/trump-reacts-to-election/#vOW9SuRR8iqn

He literally called for a revolution in 2012

Best part: He thought Romney received more popular votes because he didn't realize California was not counted yet.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Visceral Realism posted:

What made the 90s so bad wasn't necessarily that there was a huge militia movement, but that a core developed that was committed to violence. I don't know if Clinton's election will be enough to get that going again- my impression is that what radicalized a lot of those violent militia members was the cycle of violence where Waco and Ruby Ridge proved to these folks that the NWO was in fact out to get them, leading to an uptick in threatening activity, leading to more federal attention, etc until OKC. I was worried about this after Oregon, but when I was last in Southern Utah most of what I heard about the Bundy's was fundraisers for their legal battles, not organizing for retaliation.

I wonder if Islamic terrorism ruined the terrorism brand for white Americans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pellisworth posted:

Can you imagine the electoral carnage if this were a four-way race between Clinton, Cruz/Kasich, Trump as an independent, and Gary Johnson?
I think Clinton would still win but I'd be concerned that it would be enough of a clusterfuck to land in the House, who would hand it to Kasich to keep out Crooked Killary Clihitler.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

sean10mm posted:

USPOL August: The Vindication of Prester Jane by the Narcissist Donald Trump

I'm still reading through the thread, but how is this not the title yet?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Lemming posted:

The problem is that all the people who are psychopaths for Trump would have hated those people. Like, Trump isn't some black swan event, the circumstances that stumped all the other random suits in the primary is what's making Trump so successful in the first place. You can't just remove him and pretend everything would still be normal.

I get that Trump supporters would have hated a Kasich or a Rubio. But given a choice between Hillary and Kasich, would the angry middle aged white guy pull the lever for devil incarnate, or white pasty guy who just wants to enjoy your local cuisine? A lot of tea partiers would have held their nose and voted Kasich, even if he wasn't pure enough. And Kasich would give his endorsements to Ryan and McCain, and the entire party would rally around him no problem.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

I get that Trump supporters would have hated a Kasich or a Rubio. But given a choice between Hillary and Kasich, would the angry middle aged white guy pull the lever for devil incarnate, or white pasty guy who just wants to enjoy your local cuisine? A lot of tea partiers would have held their nose and voted Kasich, even if he wasn't pure enough. And Kasich would give his endorsements to Ryan and McCain, and the entire party would rally around him no problem.

I think that Trump is the culmination of the hatred for the establishment that's been fomented in the Republican party and not as much of an instigator of it. Obviously I can't super back this up, but see how well the Zodiac Killer did despite being the person the establishment hated the second most. Kasich is still too much of a suit and also some random fuckoff idiot who didn't really have a chance anyway. It would've been between Rubio and the Zodiac Killer I think, and I don't think Rubio ultimately had really much of a chance.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If it wasn't Trump then Hillary would be able to talk about some degree of policy which she's actually decent at.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MrBuddyLee posted:

I'd chip in 100 bucks if anyone could get "Yakety Sax" played over the PA at a Trump Rally. It really should be his official campaign song.

One of the streams of the Republican primary debates played Yakety Sax as filler during an ad break. It was magical. I can't believe it's only been a year since the Escalator.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Yes... yes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Periodiko posted:

I wonder if Islamic terrorism ruined the terrorism brand for white Americans.

Seriously, maybe.

The other thing is that the biggest brand I see growing in terms of far right organizations is Oathkeepers. They're pieces of poo poo, but primarily current/ex-LEO's and veterans, so it's possible that unless the situation dramatically escalates they'll limit themselves to 'defensive' actions like the Bundy stuff and their poo poo in Ferguson and not outright terrorism.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

We're gonna see some serious poo poo...

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

I can almost believe GA, but AZ is in play too? You're making GBS threads me.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

That's 347 - 191 EVs, by the way, if you just gave all the blue states to HRC.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So would we say Clinton's still riding the post-convention bump and we should expect that to drop a bit in the near future? Just trying to head off any Arzying at the pass.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

So when Trump said, "This is great" re 9/11, was it in a, "Knew this would happen!" way or a "Get a load of the amateurs in DC" way, or an even crazier context?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Riosan posted:

AZ Maybe? I dunno

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

And let's not forget he encouraged violence against (mainly black) protesters by offering to pay legal fees of anyone who attacked them.

Remember when people were getting the poo poo kicked out of them at Trump rallies every other day? He was totally cool with it. I have no problem believing he'd call for violence. I don't know how many people would actually do anything though.

I will say that a black woman surrounded by hicks, I am a little worried.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 3, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Harrow posted:

So would we say Clinton's still riding the post-convention bump and we should expect that to drop a bit in the near future? Just trying to head off any Arzying at the pass.

She's riding the "her opponent keeps making GBS threads on stage and rolling in it" bump

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Harrow posted:

Partially a bounce, partially Trump loving up tremendously, and also likely a normalization back to June numbers. We'll know in another week, I guess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Harrow posted:

These polls were taken after the convention but before/during Trumps ongoing meltdown. The polls might get even worse for him going forward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clinton will probably drop a bit once Trump stops making GBS threads the bed daily. It would be entirely implausible for her lead to remain this large all the way to election day if just because even Trump is unlikely to make mistakes 24/7.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think Clinton would still win but I'd be concerned that it would be enough of a clusterfuck to land in the House, who would hand it to Kasich to keep out Crooked Killary Clihitler.

FPTP means a huge Hilary landslide in that scenario, unless you think an Independent Trump *wouldn't* have horribly split the right-wing vote?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Riosan posted:

Would anyone be interested in an AZ thread, here or in YCS?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Clinton will probably drop a bit once Trump stops making GBS threads the bed daily. It would be entirely implausible for her lead to remain this large all the way to election day if just because even Trump is unlikely to make mistakes 24/7.

Stops?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So I have a dumb question that I can't find an answer to by googling: Who/What is it that controls whether people participate in the debates or not? Is it like a law or something? Or if Trump decides to not show up to the Debates are they gonna be like "Hey Johnson, wanna come on down?"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

Trump says that's a challenge.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

See, it's this kind of thinking that led us to say things like "no way Trump is going to be the nominee" a year ago. Believe in Trump. He can keep making mistakes 24/7.

Yes he can!

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I guess that depends on how permanent the damage of this week's Trumplosion actually is. It's looking pretty terminal to me. (lol nothing matters etc etc)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

ImpAtom posted:

once Trump stops making GBS threads the bed daily.

A bold assumption.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Luna Was Here posted:

So I have a dumb question that I can't find an answer to by googling: Who/What is it that controls whether people participate in the debates or not? Is it like a law or something? Or if Trump decides to not show up to the Debates are they gonna be like "Hey Johnson, wanna come on down?"

There is a private committee that runs the debates, picks moderators, negotiates locations and so on. They have complete control over who's in the "official" debates, and could indeed decide that they'll let a third party candidate in, or even just let Hillary speak the whole time slot on her own.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ImpAtom posted:

No. If Trump's mistakes were video games, this election would be a year long Steam Summer Sale, where every single day you log in and are like "Fallout 4 for $1.33! Sure! Plus the DLC for $0.67." Every single day, over and over again since last year. And you don't ever really get a chance to finish any games because you keep buying more.

If he stops loving up, we're gonna look at the backlog and find one or two of the best games and do an elder scrolls style binge.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Luna Was Here posted:

There is actually a bipartisan Committee on Presidential Debates. They're the ones who set the rules and the schedule. The nominee of both D/R automatically have a spot. In order for an independent candidate to be invited, I think they have to hit a minimum threshold (iirc 8% but I could just be pulling that out of my rear end) in the polls to be invited. Stein/Johnson don't have that support so they're not invited. If DJT decides to chicken out on the debates, they'll either be cancelled or Hill gets to show up and talk unopposed for an hour and a half because he did it the day before and the network has no alternate programming.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Luna Was Here posted:

Fishmech gave a bit more detail but it's these guys. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_on_Presidential_Debates

The parties jointly run it.

E: phone posting so slow. But fwiw it's a 15% threshold I believe for any candidate to participate

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ImpAtom posted:

Even if he cut his mistake diet down to 2-3 a week, he'd still be making enough that no one would stop talking about how much of a buffoon he is. All HRC has to do is literally sit back and watch.

e: lest we forget

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Man With A Plan posted:

Fishmech gave a bit more detail but it's these guys. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_on_Presidential_Debates

The parties jointly run it.

E: phone posting so slow. But fwiw it's a 15% threshold I believe for any candidate to participate

The 15% threshold can be changed at any time mind you, should they feel like they want to change it.

• Locked thread