Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

You really think they would not have thought about this?

If everyone thought things through this thread wouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm going to Suicide Squad with my girlfriend tomorrow. Both of us are comic nerds and she's a giant Harley Quinn fan, so I'm concerned.

I think the problem with it may be that the fans who already know all the characters will get bored sitting through all the backstory/setup, and those who don't know the characters will probably also get fed up with it. At least with the Marvel films they introduced characters individually before bringing a bunch of them together in Assemble.
I think the X-Men films suffer from that a little as well. There are so many X-Men if you have more than a handful together you'll spend half the film on character introduction instead of action.
I still want to see it, but it might turn out to have been to have a movie introducing half the characters first, then add the rest for Suicide Squad 2 : The Suicidening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually the reviews mostly say the beginning parts introducing the characters are good.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Stoatbringer posted:

I think the problem with it may be that the fans who already know all the characters will get bored sitting through all the backstory/setup, and those who don't know the characters will probably also get fed up with it. At least with the Marvel films they introduced characters individually before bringing a bunch of them together in Assemble.
I think the X-Men films suffer from that a little as well. There are so many X-Men if you have more than a handful together you'll spend half the film on character introduction instead of action.
I still want to see it, but it might turn out to have been to have a movie introducing half the characters first, then add the rest for Suicide Squad 2 : The Suicidening.

The RE-Suicidening

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

jmistajay posted:

The RE-Suicidening

2icide 2quad

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

This will no doubt feature in here soon

Here's the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiKGjnG01KY&feature=youtu.be

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

hamsystem posted:

2icide 2quad
Squad 2: Suicide Boogaloo

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

TriggerHappy posted:

Depth. The Lincoln tunnel goes to 97 feet deep, plenty of room for a cruise ship to pass over it without damaging the tunnel. In those renders that tunnel looks at most 15-20 feet deep. Royal Caribbean's biggest cruise ship is 30 feet deep below the water line. Considering the render show a loving cruise ship lane crossing the tunnel, that's kind of a big deal.

Aren't most "underwater" tunnels just dug through the river/seabed in the first place? It's not like theres an actual structure lying down at the bottom.

China has a great road safety track record. I see nothing wrong with an elevated tram that cars can drive under and/or trucks can slam into, that requires special intersections for it to take its wide-rear end turns while the rest of the traffic crosses.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This is all I ever think of when people talk traffic in China.

http://soimgoingtochina.blogspot.com/2007/06/beijing-traffic-lesson-left-turn.html

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fishstick posted:

Aren't most "underwater" tunnels just dug through the river/seabed in the first place? It's not like theres an actual structure lying down at the bottom.

I don't know about 'most', I think it is project-dependent. There are a lot of tunnels in Maryland and Virginia that are pre-built in sections, floated to site, sunk into a trench, and then joined together and covered with rock and silt.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Most underwater tunnels are actually just underground tunnels. This is not, which means the ocean will do very bad things to it regardless of whether a cruise ship could take it out or not.

But hey, if you've ever dreamed of dying by drowning in a small enclosed space, have I got the place for you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
America's Got Talent contestant accidentally shot with arrow on live TV

Video is a bit disappointing, looks like it fails to penetrate and just bounces off his chest. Maybe he got stuck a little bit but he didn't wind up with an arrow sticking out of him.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They should have gone full clickbait and said "missile" instead of "arrow"

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Saint Freak posted:

I mean, it's a floating tunnel so

Good thing sea levels are completely static.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The tube will also need to be flexible and able to pitch in any direction. How many accidents are people going to get in when the road suddenly pitches underneath your car?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
RINA have already carried out a feasibility analysis, but clearly they should have just checked the boats, tides and water articles on wikipedia since those retards thought it could work

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My mind is already combining this thread's worst case scenarios with how Jules Verne described the Maelstrom and :byodood:

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Kurieg posted:

The tube will also need to be flexible and able to pitch in any direction. How many accidents are people going to get in when the road suddenly pitches underneath your car?

The same applies to the Mackinac Bridge and that's only killed that one lady in a Yugo so far.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

At speeds approaching 900 feet per second (270 m/s), deviations of 1 millimeter (0.039 in) from a straight path would add considerable buffeting and vibration, with no provisions for passengers to stand, move within the capsule, use a restroom during the trip, or get assistance or relief in case of illness or motion sickness.[73] This is in addition to the obvious practical and logistical questions regarding how to best deal with equipment malfunction, accidents, and emergency evacuations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

http://www.publicdefender.mo.gov/Newsfeed/Delegation_of_Representation.PDF

TL;DR - Governor constantly cuts funding to public defender's office; head of that office uses a law that lets him assign cases to any member of the bar to draft the governor.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Random Stranger posted:

TL;DR - Governor constantly cuts funding to public defender's office; head of that office uses a law that lets him assign cases to any member of the bar to draft the governor.

Holy poo poo. That's *beautiful*.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Video is a bit disappointing, looks like it fails to penetrate and just bounces off his chest. Maybe he got stuck a little bit but he didn't wind up with an arrow sticking out of him.

It's not the fire missile that could have damaged him, it's the sudden jolt as he stood up and panicked and the internal injuries that the blade inside his throat probably did.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

I didn't even have to click to know what it was. That will never get old. My favorite lines are:

quote:

[F] pedals doggedly onward at about 2 miles per hour, his face like chiseled marble.

and

quote:

[E] has forgotten the face of his father

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Stex T posted:

The same applies to the Mackinac Bridge and that's only killed that one lady in a Yugo so far.

The mackinac is still a suspension bridge, and air is considerably more compressable and pliable than water is. Also it's suspended from rigid metal pillars. This "bridge" is suspended from the surface of the ocean.

Random Stranger posted:

This is fantastic.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Floating bridges work fine somehow, so I guess it's not a massive reach to make a floating tunnel. By fine I mean there was that one bridge that had half of it float away in a storm, but hey they rebuilt the thing so I assume whatever problem was fixed?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xy Hapu posted:

Floating bridges work fine somehow, so I guess it's not a massive reach to make a floating tunnel. By fine I mean there was that one bridge that had half of it float away in a storm, but hey they rebuilt the thing so I assume whatever problem was fixed?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

So if the governor doesn't show up , he can be held in contempt right?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Lime Tonics posted:

So if the governor doesn't show up , he can be held in contempt right?

Yes, and then he'll pardon himself, a few people in the legislation will try to impeach him, everyone else in the legislation will laugh at them, and nothing will come of it. Democracy in action.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

D-Pad posted:

Sometimes when I eat hamburger a piece falls down my windpipe and I reflexively cough causing it to shoot up into my nose causing me to reflexively sniff which causes it to go back into my windpipe. The cycle repeats until I manage to somehow interrupt it by sheer force of will while flailing about crying and choking.

Only a goon would find a way to eat a cheeseburger forever

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Jose posted:

This will no doubt feature in here soon

So what's the clearance on that SUV? A couple feet? I can't wait for the first poor bastard to be taking his kayaks out in the summer only to have them slammed into space by the train passing overhead and collecting them. Would a campervan fit under that thing? Some old guys pickup covered in a ten foot radius of empty kegs? Has that thing been built yet because if so I hope they have a dashcam on that train I'm thinking that youtube channel will be gold.

The only thing better would be if this was in Russia and you absolutely know a truck will be in those lanes and get creamed by this thing because nobody in Russia ever applies the breaks for any reason, judging by their dashcam videos.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dpbjinc posted:

Yes, and then he'll pardon himself, a few people in the legislation will try to impeach him, everyone else in the legislation will laugh at them, and nothing will come of it. Democracy in action.

Actually contempt of court and treason are the only crimes that cannot be pardoned.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

This is magical

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Random Stranger posted:

Actually contempt of court and treason are the only crimes that cannot be pardoned.

Contempt is not pardonable in Texas (read page 4), but various states have differing interpretations on the subject. He could pardon himself in Alabama, and legal precedent would lie firmly behind him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Flaming arrows typically have something like cloth covered in flammable liquid wrapped around the head, which blunted it enough to keep it from penetrating.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tambaloneus posted:

So what's the clearance on that SUV? A couple feet? I can't wait for the first poor bastard to be taking his kayaks out in the summer only to have them slammed into space by the train passing overhead and collecting them. Would a campervan fit under that thing? Some old guys pickup covered in a ten foot radius of empty kegs? Has that thing been built yet because if so I hope they have a dashcam on that train I'm thinking that youtube channel will be gold.

I think the perspective throws things off, it looks like the SUV on the left has a good 5-6 feet of clearance between its roof and the bus. It's one of those "only in China" kind of ideas where they didn't seem to think things through completely before executing. If it doesn't flop on its own goofiness, the combination of shoddy construction, lead-based paint and flammable cargo will surely end it before it can gain any notable traction..

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Xy Hapu posted:

If it was the I-90 bridge, it sank in a storm because they filled part of it with water during renovation.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xy Hapu posted:

Floating bridges don't need to be totally waterproof.

This submerged deathtrap will need multiple points of articulation across its span, each capable of flexing enough to handle the surge during storms (and cruise ship strikes) without flooding the tunnel and strong enough to handle hundreds of cars a day driving over it and the constant movement of the waves.

Consider for a moment why we don't make articulated submarines.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Aug 4, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Because a limp phallic object makes no sense when you can have a rigid one

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Random Stranger posted:

This is one of those perfectly delivered burns you can only get from a justice system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless