Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ImpAtom posted:

Nationalism is dumb. Moving wouldn't change that.

Patriotism and nationalism aren't really the same thing, but the problem is that there's like a millimeter thick line that divides the two.

Patriotism is fine, but some of the tail end of the DNC bothered me a little bit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Iran story isn't on the main pages of NBC, CNN, Washington Post, NY Times, Huffington post. No one cares about it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is an actual CNN headline. About a candidate for President of the United States.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

:drat:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Pakled posted:

I'm very much enjoying the recent push to highlight the diversity of America in patriotic messages. It's seriously a great thing about the United States that we have, currently and historically, such a huge immigrant population and depictions of Americans that show more than whitebread suburban nuclear families are awesome.

https://twitter.com/saramg/status/759913175412150273

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Nationalism is dumb. Moving wouldn't change that. That doesn't mean I don't care about the politics because I live here and would prefer it not to be a shithole.

Believing the place you live should be a good place isn't the same as believing it is blessed by god to be the greatest nation on earth.

And that's not what patriotism is either, it's a pretty good extremist example of it though!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

This is an actual CNN headline. About a candidate for President of the United States.

They think Presidential Candidate Doesn't poo poo Own Pants For 11 Minutes is headline news.

And they're right, sadly.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
huffpo running with the "was the Iran money video Trump described classified?" angle

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Yinlock posted:

In this speech alone he has drifted off thinking about loving cereal twice.

What is the usage here?

Do you mean the verb or adverb(? adjective?)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

This is why something like Brexit can't happen here.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Patriotism and nationalism aren't really the same thing, but the problem is that there's like a millimeter thick line that divides the two.

Patriotism is fine, but some of the tail end of the DNC bothered me a little bit too.

As far as I understand it:

Patriotism: My country is great.

Nationalism: My country is better than all others.

the first can really, really easily slide into the second yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

And that's not what patriotism is either, it's a pretty good extremist example of it though!

That isn't extreme. It is literally what both political parties say on a regular basis and what was broadcast over the intercom at school when I was growing up. We broadcast ourselves as "the land of the free and the home of the brave" and other such things in our national anthem. This is the normal for us.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

What is the usage here?

Do you mean the verb or adverb(? adjective?)

He listed off soap ads and cereal ads as ones he would rather see than anti-Trump ads while he watches TV.

This afternoon it was a "Kellogg's ad" and tonight was "Special K."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

Nationalism is dumb. Moving wouldn't change that. That doesn't mean I don't care about the politics because I live here and would prefer it not to be a shithole.

Believing the place you live should be a good place isn't the same as believing it is blessed by god to be the greatest nation on earth.

American patriotism was pretty much being happy about the fact that being an american is awesome and being proud of being awesome because we're all awesome together and that's what makes us awesome. That kind of patriotism rules since it's not about being better than anyone else or "right", it's that you're proud of your dumb country and want to chill with your neighbors since they're proud of their dumb country to so lets all be proud that we live in a dumb country together.

Nationalism is what republicans and the Bush administration branded as patriotism though, and nationalism loving sucks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Trabisnikof posted:

It's amazing how much people have bought into talk radio narratives on the Clinton Foundation that the argument is "how much bad poo poo is this non-profit accused of doing without evidence" while ignoring all the good things it does.

Just because a organization does good things does not mean it has permission to do bad things. That's a very unusual ethical argument. Like even if The Gates foundation saves thousands of lives their not then given permission to kill one child.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

American patriotism was pretty much being happy about the fact that being an american is awesome and being proud of being awesome because we're all awesome together and that's what makes us awesome. That kind of patriotism rules since it's not about being better than anyone else or "right", it's that you're proud of your dumb country and want to chill with your neighbors since they're proud of their dumb country to so lets all be proud that we live in a dumb country together.

Nationalism is what republicans and the Bush administration branded as patriotism though, and nationalism loving sucks.

This is a better explanation yeah. Patriotism is strapping a million fireworks together and setting the resulting American Sparkle Bomb off in the middle of the street with other like-minded lunatics on July 4th because Fuckin A' USA USA USA

Nationalism is never questioning your perfect country and thinking that any flaws are because of evil Others.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RZA Encryption posted:

Did anything ever happen with that potentially imaginary woman that did the Melania/Michelle speech plagiarism? Is she real?

No one knows or cares. First the DNC butchered Trump like a Christmas hog, then Trump started Trumping and the media smelled blood in the water. Melania's small potatoes aside from her twin potatoes which the whole world knows now are fairly impressive.

Edit: Patriotism is the DNC, nationalism is the RNC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

I guess I don't see how "I am proud to be an American because Americans are inherently better and awesome" is meaningfully different. I would say "I'm proud to be an American because we do (x) thing worth being proud" but not in some inherent meaningless Americanism. The former sounds exactly to me like "we're better and right." YMMV but I don't think patriotism should be a default. I think it should be earned.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Compare the latter parts of the DNC with Rudy Guiliani's speech to see the difference between nationalism and patriotism.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Good news everyone, :siren: it's time for the Libertarian Town Hall live on CNN! :siren: Soon you too can watch CNN implicitly validate yet another stupid as gently caress ideology by refusing to challenge its excesses.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cythereal posted:

No one knows or cares. First the DNC butchered Trump like a Christmas hog, then Trump started Trumping and the media smelled blood in the water. Melania's small potatoes aside from her twin potatoes which the whole world knows now are fairly impressive.

Edit: Patriotism is the DNC, nationalism is the RNC.

I don't care about the Melania angle, I just want to see of there was a second instance of Trump inventing a fake person.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

A Winner is Jew posted:

Are you seriously saying that patriotism used to be this great all inclusive thing back when the country was objectively more racist and less inclusive than it is today? I get what you're saying, but this absolutely reeks of the Republican idea that things were better way back when and let's just gloss over all the lovely stuff. I mean, I was a child of the 80s and 90s and had pretty reasonably formed political opinions by the time Dubya came along and I still find unrestrained patriotism outside of specific contexts like the 4th to be pretty creepy and weird.

And being proud to be an American just because is practically the definition of nationalism. Being proud of things your country does is cool and good. I'm proud we went to the moon, even if intellectually I know it wasn't for great reasons. I feel good when we win Olympic metals. I don't just in general feel good about America because America is no different from anywhere else.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I don't see how "I am proud to be an American because Americans are inherently better and awesome" is meaningfully different. I would say "I'm proud to be an American because we do (x) thing worth being proud" but not in some inherent meaningless Americanism. The former sounds exactly to me like "we're better and right." YMMV but I don't think patriotism should be a default. I think it should be earned.

It's not about being better than anyone, or being perfect and never questioning poo poo though which is what a lot of people are missing. Like, it's not about being a fan of a team and thinking they're better than anyone else but more just enjoying the poo poo out of the sport.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

WampaLord posted:

He listed off soap ads and cereal ads as ones he would rather see than anti-Trump ads while he watches TV.

This afternoon it was a "Kellogg's ad" and tonight was "Special K."

So he wants to have sex with Special K. Got it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Whats really funny is Trump had shut the gently caress up this week that Iran thing could have been a dagger

Highly doubt it. It was sheer Republican spin, and spin that Hillary really have much to do with apart from getting the ball rolling before she left the SoS job. Republicans decided try to spin it as "OH HOSTAGE RANSOM" when it was agreed to be paid /before/ the whole thing happened.

Trump today had a rambling, but otherwise boring day press wise.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Quorum posted:

Good news everyone, :siren: it's time for the Libertarian Town Hall live on CNN! :siren: Soon you too can watch CNN implicitly validate yet another stupid as gently caress ideology by refusing to challenge its excesses.

On one hand, I would love the Libertarian party getting 15% and cementing the inevitable split of the GOP

On the other hand, the GOP doesn't really need a push

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Quorum posted:

After my shot of Trump the old stuff like worshiping the free market just seems tame.

Yes yes, the gold standard will solve all problems as the world unites under the banner of the incorruptible Captains Of Industry :sigh: whatever. Do you at least have an accusation that Hillary Clinton did 9/11 and loves ISIS a lot?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's not about being better than anyone, or being perfect and never questioning poo poo though which is what a lot of people are missing. Like, it's not about being a fan of a team and thinking they're better than anyone else but more just enjoying the poo poo out of the sport.

I'm from Philadelphia so you sports team analogy falls completely flat for me. :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

How long until CNN is finally run into the ground by Jeff Zucker?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

quote:

Hillary hit hard
Arcadia parade float depicting Hillary Clinton in prison while being hit with water balloons stirs controversy

It was a typical summer celebration in small-town Iowa. The sun was shining on children carrying bags full of candy as the Arcadia Fire Department was celebrating its 100th anniversary on Saturday with a parade, a party in the park and a big water fight that would serve as the grand finale.

A young blond boy, no more than 8 years old, ran out into the street near the intersection of West Center and South Gault streets because one float was handing out water balloons. The child grabbed his balloon, took aim and did his best Nolan Ryan impression as he fired the balloon at a man dressed in an orange jumpsuit and Hillary Clinton mask while standing on a platform inside bars, fencing and barbed wire above a “Hillary For Prison” sign tacked onto the side.

Bull’s eye.

The prideful smile of a job well done was written all over the boy’s face.

Some in the crowd were laughing and cheering as the float rolled by, but others could be heard moaning and grumbling that it was “over the top” or “a bit too much.”

“It was my idea,” Kyle Julin of Manilla said. “Pretty much me and Josh (Reetz). It took us about a day-and-a-half to build.”

Julin said he, Reetz and Adam Corky (Clinton impersonator) are not affiliated with any official political organization. Julin said he’s an independent and as of March 2014 Reetz was a registered Democrat.

Julin said the crew had been throwing around the idea of entering the parade for awhile.

“Probably a month ago we joked around about it, and at the beginning of last week we decided to do it,” Julin said. We started on it Wednesday night.”

Julin said all the feedback he’s heard has been positive.

“Even the police and everybody was positive about it, especially on social media,” he said. “We couldn’t get pictures with some people because of where they work and their political agendas. But, only one group booed us. My consensus from that was 99 percent to 1 percent liked it.”

Not everyone thought it was so great.

Tim Tracy, chairman of the Carroll County Democrats, said demonstrations like this don’t help things in an already charged political climate.

“The Carroll County Democrats participated in the Arcadia celebration in an appropriate and dignified manner,” Tracy said. “We saw a lot of children along the parade route. Children aren’t politically savvy. It’s sad to imagine that some of them may have been wondering why they were being mean to that lady and throwing things at her.”

Another woman, who wished to remain anonymous for fear of repercussions at work, said the whole thing just made her feel sad.

“I’m glad my grandkids weren’t there to see it,” she said. “Here we have what could be the first woman president in our history — and to treat her like that — I thought was disrespectful to her and disrespectful to women.”

Craig Williams, chairman of the Carroll County Republicans, said his organization had nothing to do with the float, but did promote photos of it on FaceBook.

“I probably wouldn’t have done that myself, but I can certainly understand some frustrations from people over all the illegal things (Clinton) has done,” Williams said. “I don’t feel it was offensive to women. It could have been anybody in there anyone who got away with what she did.”

Julin estimated his group handed out around 400 water balloons during the parade.

As for people taking offense to the float, “I mean if they do, they do,” Julin said. “We believe if Hillary gets in, it’ll be bad for moving our political agenda forward. I will vote for my own personal view when it comes down to it. We can’t even fathom the possibility of how she’s able to do it. Also, it wasn’t just kids, there were a bunch of adults grabbing water balloons and cheering."

sounds like a great time!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm from Philadelphia so you sports team analogy falls completely flat for me. :smith:

Look, imagine the batteries are ICBMs

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't extreme. It is literally what both political parties say on a regular basis and what was broadcast over the intercom at school when I was growing up. We broadcast ourselves as "the land of the free and the home of the brave" and other such things in our national anthem. This is the normal for us.

Ok, I can understand the sentiment behind the school thing (the pledge being pretty ingrained into every kid's head from age 5 onward is really friggin weird) but having pride in your country isn't a bad thing. Most people don't take it as a "We are the best country in the world jesus bless our hearts" thing. Most people just sorta see Patriotism as a "This country is my home and I wouldn't call any other place home because of it" because of the experiences they have had in their time in that country. Most people recognize that the United States has a lot of hosed poo poo about it, but what country doesn't? There's pros and cons to every country everywhere and yet most people are still probably proud of the place they call home. If you want to stand aside and call me stupid for shouting like a dumb lunatic while lighting fireworks off on fourth of july or for taking part of USA chants or for flying a flag on our house then that's your right, just as much as it is mine. That's just my takeaway from it, always has been always will be.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

How long until CNN is finally run into the ground by Jeff Zucker?

Their ratings are gonna tank hard once the election is over and they no longer have Trump to sustain them, so probably then.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Damnit, put Canada in there so I can feel better than you. :argh:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Weird - I saw that poll today but it had Sweden on it as well. Wonder why its not here. If you're curious the numbers for Sweden were slightly (like 3-5 in the better place) better than the UK.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Koalas March posted:

I think you meant to say Liz Lemon quotes over Jeb.

Ain't no party like a Jeb Bush party cause a Jeb Bush party is mandatory.

Please clap.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

I would have beaned that stupid smug driver

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

:stare:

quote:

“Probably a month ago we joked around about it, and at the beginning of last week we decided to do it,” Julin said. We started on it Wednesday night.”

"ha ha ya know I was just floating it by the boys and we were like "why not turn authoritarian calls to lock up political opponents into a festive activity for children?" haha we love to joke here and definitely aren't living out some weird fantasy. Just kidding around with the lads as we strap a candidate's likeness in a cage of barbed wire and throw things at it. What silly folks we are!"

Luna Was Here posted:

Ok, I can understand the sentiment behind the school thing (the pledge being pretty ingrained into every kid's head from age 5 onward is really friggin weird) but having pride in your country isn't a bad thing. Most people don't take it as a "We are the best country in the world jesus bless our hearts" thing. Most people just sorta see Patriotism as a "This country is my home and I wouldn't call any other place home because of it" because of the experiences they have had in their time in that country. Most people recognize that the United States has a lot of hosed poo poo about it, but what country doesn't? There's pros and cons to every country everywhere and yet most people are still probably proud of the place they call home. If you want to stand aside and call me stupid for shouting like a dumb lunatic while lighting fireworks off on fourth of july or for taking part of USA chants or for flying a flag on our house then that's your right, just as much as it is mine. That's just my takeaway from it, always has been always will be.

Yeah but the "Love our country or get out" you gave is a good example of the patriotism-nationalism slide. Nobody's going to blame you for having a good time, but getting aggressive about it is where that line is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think the problem with patriotism is that the nation is itself a pretty immoral and damaging concept.

Yeah, I think patriotism can be benign, but the fact that all patriotism takes its root from a problematic concept is troubling.

But I mean, hell, I used to think Sports fandom was benign until I saw what happened at Penn State and Baylor. Any time we let people take meaning from their membership to institutions, they lose their critical ability towards that institution. To them, any criticism of the institution becomes a criticism of their person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Paradoxish posted:

Are you seriously saying that patriotism used to be this great all inclusive thing back when the country was objectively more racist and less inclusive than it is today? I get what you're saying, but this absolutely reeks of the Republican idea that things were better way back when and let's just gloss over all the lovely stuff. I mean, I was a child of the 80s and 90s and had pretty reasonably formed political opinions by the time Dubya came along and I still find unrestrained patriotism outside of specific contexts like the 4th to be pretty creepy and weird.

And being proud to be an American just because is practically the definition of nationalism. Being proud of things your country does is cool and good. I'm proud we went to the moon, even if intellectually I know it wasn't for great reasons. I feel good when we win Olympic metals. I don't just in general feel good about America because America is no different from anywhere else.

It's more about loving your country than thinking it's #1. Like when I travel overseas I have no problem saying I'm from the US with a sense of pride while still wanting to go visit and experience all that the country I'm visiting has to offer because other countries have cool poo poo that they should be proud of. That's patriotism.

Nationalism would be visiting other countries and being an obnoxious as gently caress american that constantly belittles the one you're visiting.

• Locked thread