Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sakurazuka posted:

I can think of plenty of games that evoke the feeling of boredom

Hahaha please don't watch In the Mood for Love hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've tried to like Undertale and I still can't figure out what part of it is supposedly "fun" to play

I mean just on a pure gameplay level, it's just so meh

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

well the combat is fun and the walking around talking is good and the puzzles are nice

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dodging quirky attacks (like a snoozing dog's zzz's) is fun though I was terrible at it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oddium posted:

well the combat is fun and the walking around talking is good and the puzzles are nice

At what point do those things become fun because I played it for an hour or two and none of those were very fun.

Well the combat was fun but seemed to be getting very repetitive

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did The Witness turn out to be good (+ why does it cost so much)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really really liked Undertale, like one-of-my-favorite-games-ever liked it, but I agree that the encounters in the open-world portion get repetitive pretty fast.

Maybe explaining why it works the way it does will help a bit: Undertale's enemy encounters are not random, it pulls from a set ordered list of monsters in each area. When that list runs out, you will encounter no more monsters there. The problem is that each enemy appears between 2 and 4 times on that list, sometimes multiple times in a row, so talking them down from fighting quickly becomes a series of hitting the right button and dodging moves you've already seen. The developer tried to combat this fatigue by giving each enemy a bunch of moves, which are randomly chosen... but sometimes you get the same attacks multiple times in a row and then you're stuck with the same problem.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 4, 2016

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

precision posted:

At what point do those things become fun because I played it for an hour or two and none of those were very fun.

the game picks up after the first boss. if you played past that point and still thought it was boring it might have just not clicked

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

After you leave the ruins the encounter rate gets lower and the enemies become way more varied. The first part of the game was made years before the rest and was used as a demo for the Kickstarter so its a lot rougher, though on the meta level it is cool feeling the developer grow as a game designer and an artist over the course of the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Making it so you only encounter each enemy once would've been fine with me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also would've been fine with that. I think toning down the number of repeats while adding just a couple of new monsters in some of the repeats' places would've been better.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

It's great, and there's a lot more to it than most indie games so the price makes sense. Definitely pick it up sometime if you like puzzles.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

The Witness turned out really good if you like that sort of thing and it costs that much because it has a ton of content

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Witness has more than enough puzzles to keep you entertained for hours and it takes the phrase 'brain bending' to entirely new levels. I could not wrap my head around half the puzzles in the last stages of the game so I gave up and I will never finish it, but the stuff I did play was fun to untangle. It's a hard loving game, and for me it ended up falling square on the annoying side of hard instead of the fun side. For that reason, I really recommend you don't buy it for full price, because you might end up being the same way.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's great, and there's a lot more to it than most indie games so the price makes sense. Definitely pick it up sometime if you like puzzles.
Yeah, The Witness looks small at first but you just keep finding more and more poo poo as you go

Or you suck and get stuck forever and stop playing but that's puzzles for ya

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Witness is amazing and seriously loving massive. I'm too dumb to even finish it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Making it so you only encounter each enemy once would've been fine with me

Given this, have you ever tried Lisa?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

After you leave the ruins the encounter rate gets lower and the enemies become way more varied. The first part of the game was made years before the rest and was used as a demo for the Kickstarter so its a lot rougher, though on the meta level it is cool feeling the developer grow as a game designer and an artist over the course of the game.

Nobody told me that! The Ruins part is pretty terrible and I was under the impression that was like, the whole game!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's worth noting that if you ever get stuck on a puzzle in The Witness you can walk away and go solve puzzles somewhere else. Like seriously, there's so many puzzles.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Witness is a game I'm never sure what someone means when they say they beat it because that can mean like 5 different things. It can mean you got the ending, it can mean you got all the trophies, it can mean you beat every puzzle that actually something, it can mean you beat all the regular puzzles or it can mean you actually found and did every puzzle

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So this is a talk thread about anything game related not just nintendo stuff correct?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All video game talk is welcome here, my friend :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that said I am looking at nintendo's youtube whitelist for lets plays

it's surprising how many copyrights they dont own. like I know there are rights issues with the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy, but apparently they don't own Kirby either (HAL does I guess?). no kirby games on the whitelist, no Smash games on the whitelist, no Pokemon on the white list, no obscure Nintendo-published games like Drill Dozer on the white list, no super mario RPG on the whitelist (Square), no Mother/Earthbound on the whitelist

but they do own star fox adventures and that's on the whitelist even though rare made it

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I read a story today about Pokemon GO's inception to game and trendy popularity.. and something that shocked me was how awesome the name of the studio Niantic is.

I didn't know this but Niantic was the name of a whaling ship in 1832 that was run ashore in 1849 and converted into a hotel in what is modern day san francisco during the gold rush. It was responsible for bringing the crew to it's fortune and ultimately became a historical site in San Francisco.

Niantic Wiki

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Given this, have you ever tried Lisa?

I haven't, but looking it up it seems pretty cool, thanks

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

that said I am looking at nintendo's youtube whitelist for lets plays

it's surprising how many copyrights they dont own. like I know there are rights issues with the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy, but apparently they don't own Kirby either (HAL does I guess?). no kirby games on the whitelist, no Smash games on the whitelist, no Pokemon on the white list, no obscure Nintendo-published games like Drill Dozer on the white list, no super mario RPG on the whitelist (Square), no Mother/Earthbound on the whitelist

but they do own star fox adventures and that's on the whitelist even though rare made it

Rights for various stuff inside the Smash games were already probably a hurdle to deal with in the 64 and Melee days. Especially when things with Rare were going south and they didn't know what they could/should include in Melee.

Then that increased ten fold when Sakurai invited any (Japanese) video game musician worth their salt pick and choose any songs they wanted to remix for Brawl and 4. Take a look sometime in the sound test for 4 and see how many non-Nintendo guest remixers there are and also how many of them also have their own brands that are listed in the "More Info" copyrights and etc. section.

It was a miracle we were even able to get that free promotional Smash 4 sampler CD a while back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol I just bought overwatch and it asks you literally 4 times if you want to upgrade to the 60 buck origins edition when you buy the 40 buck standard one. This after literally hiding the 40 buck version and forcing you to go searching for it after not even hinting at its existence anywhere. How sad can you get.

edit:

Also, it cost me 42.49 because I live in Illinois, the only state that puts a tax on digital purchases. cool, that should definitely be legal :geno:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 4, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
...did you just say taxes should be illegal?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Taxes on digital purchases, yeah

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not sure what your angle on that is.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh, sure, you call him Floyd, but to you he's still just Mail Man.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

have you gotten the event where your sim gets abducted while using the telescope

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Actually forget what I said earlier. I'm glad I get bludgeoned into a bloody pulp at Age of Empires 2 because that means my rank can drop and I can join games with fellow People Who are Bad at Videogames

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Actually forget what I said earlier. I'm glad I get bludgeoned into a bloody pulp at Age of Empires 2 because that means my rank can drop and I can join games with fellow People Who are Bad at Videogames

I got real upset back in the day when the Warcraft 3 ladder would reset what felt like every month, because it meant I had to deal with even more getting kicked in the teeth by pros than usual for a week or two. Of course a bunch of people would purposefully make themselves low-ranked to keep crushing bad players like me with ease, so whatever.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

can you buy your fat sims a slim-fast

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
EDF 4.1 continues to own on PC:

Sykic posted:

Thanks to our Ranger finding a flame geyser immediately before the Erginus vs Balam mission, we developed an advanced version of HQ's plan to take it down.

Step 1: Shoot flame geysers at Balam.
Step 2: JUST PUNCH IT IN THE FACE!

https://giant.gfycat.com/EmbellishedGratefulAzurevasesponge.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CJacobs posted:

Also, it cost me 42.49 because I live in Illinois, the only state that puts a tax on digital purchases. cool, that should definitely be legal :geno:

Now you don't have to feel guilty about putting 0 in the use tax box every year. Given your reaction you probably didn't in the first place though.

• Locked thread