Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Why isn't Vicas allowed to do his scottish accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Geop posted:

Needed a break-point for the remainder of the session and this worked out :v:

This was probably the worst break-point, actually.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Geop you filthy pervert

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
This was begging for a Roundabout ending.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

As soon as I saw you giving Rosabeth only one piece of equipment, I was waiting for your later reactions. Every time you give her an outfit, the game will overwrite her previous outfit such that she's only wearing the new stuff. And since her dress is technically an outfit, albeit one inaccessible to the player...

Rosabeth will return to Majula once you've pulled the lever and reloaded the area, but if you neglect to pull the lever then she temporarily moves out to stand by Benhart. (Fun fact: If you want to reload an area, you can warp from a bonfire back to that same bonfire in one shot rather than having to warp somewhere else and then back.)

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

frankenfreak posted:

This was begging for a Roundabout ending.

You disappointed us Geop.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Frionnel posted:

You disappointed us Geop.
After 29 episodes this is def not the first time

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Was a bit let down when I saw the length on the episode. Gotta agree on the end, that was a great cut though. :darksouls:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Carina Reeves possesses the incredibly rare ability to sound utterly adorable yet never obnoxiously so. It's really quite something.

As for Benhart, he doesn't even buy his armaments from Cold Steel. Chances are that sword came from that one booth at an anime convention. You might think I'm kidding.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
If Rosabeth got all dressed up in Varangian gear, would that make her a pyrote?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh hell, I never realised you could give her more than one piece of gear. I should go swap the heavy armour she's wearing in my game for something that, well, also includes pants.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Aithon posted:

If Rosabeth got all dressed up in Varangian gear, would that make her a pyrote?

That's what Goonther is, his piratemancy was taken from the ships captain so it's genuine.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Another interesting voice actor note, the actress who played the Emerald Herald plays Tulip in the Preacher TV series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The hair's a little off but Rosabeth was doing a pretty decent Zero Suit Samus cosplay at first.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's an optional boss later on that emphasizes this neatly and in a very painful way by utilizing a basic mechanic that the player can do, only with Boss Numbers to back it up.

If it's the boss I'm thinking of, it's probably actually one of the few bosses in this game I actually think is quite good. Although it suffers a little from "looks like something from final fantasy" syndrome. Not that it's the only boss that suffers from that. (I feel like Pursuer has that look going on as well)

Anyway!

Geop realizing Goonther ran out of ammo in the heat of the moment was pretty great. :allears:

And I forgot how Rosebeth legitimately sounds like she's loving dying when you first un-petrify her.

And oh my god, you gave her literally just those wrist-bands. My god, Geop. But everyone's reaction to her eventual appearance and the fact that she gave zero fucks was so good.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 2, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Highwang posted:

Why isn't Vicas allowed to do his scottish accent?

God cried.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure those guys are throwing rocks, not dung pies... but eh, whatever makes the peanut gallery happy.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Why not both?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ahh, fond memories of my days as a TA.

"What's this?"
"Well... Why not give it a smell?"
"Smells like a regular rock."
"You just sniffed poop."

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Did anyone ever re-sniff it to be sure?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I never finished the Copse area. Just too many guys coming from too many directions. And PC keyboard/mouse controls weren't good enough to react fast enough.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

KieranWalker posted:

Pretty sure those guys are throwing rocks, not dung pies... but eh, whatever makes the peanut gallery happy.

They are very clearly rocks, but oh well.

I did notice it myself but the commentary reminded me; the fact that you can't access that area the first group of hernia dudes drops down from is very anti dark-souls and is pretty weak design in any case. I know for a fact that Lizard Wizard went to some lengths to find and criticize a similar "Enemies are up here but there's no way up there" thing in Oblivion as well. Yes, I just compared Dark Souls 2 to Oblivion. :colbert:

One of the later features of the Shaded Woods area is also pretty poor level design, especially given how significant it ends up being.

Dark souls 2 level and world design leaves a lot to be desired in many ways. This video really showed how the game kind of gives out Bonfires and different areas like cheap candy. The first bonfire in the Shaded Woods area really didn't need to be there at all.

Though that said, Huntsman's Copse is one of the game's better designed areas. Just as well, since it was the area that was featured in the game's Network Beta Test. If that area wasn't up to snuff then that would have raised some alarm bells a lot earlier. I assume it was an area that was being worked on early on, since it's generally better fleshed out and has a good deal more substance to the area in general. Though it also opens itself up to a couple of oddities as a result.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Slaan posted:

And PC keyboard/mouse controls weren't good enough to react fast enough.

I highly recommend that all Dark Souls games be played with a controller, regardless of the platform.

But yeah, the bonfire that's placed right after Majula/before the Shaded Woods was a little baffling to me. I guess they wanted to show some mercy after running the gauntlet of Infected Hollows?

Also I am super excited for the next session. :dance:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Well of course you have to pay, it only runs on miracles, after all. Oh look, a three-headed monkey!

I do love how dedicated Licia is to fleecing people. I picture her wandering from town to town, hawking wondrous kitchen gizmos and authentic, brand-name miracles such as Lightning Belt and Emit Farce.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

IronSaber posted:

I highly recommend that all Dark Souls games be played with a controller, regardless of the platform.

But yeah, the bonfire that's placed right after Majula/before the Shaded Woods was a little baffling to me. I guess they wanted to show some mercy after running the gauntlet of Infected Hollows?

Also I am super excited for the next session. :dance:
I'm guessing that the bonfire was placed there to suit the spoke-based setup of DS2, since in theory you could choose to wander through any of the starting branches to completion before the rest. (Doing this one requires going out of your way to Melentia at the least, or further in the original version.) In that way it's not unlike the first bonfires in FoFG, Heide's Tower of Flame, or Huntsman's Copse. In retrospect it's not nearly so meaningful as the rest, but at least that's the theory. (Other than this, they're notably more spaced out.)

But yes, I definitely agree with your other points, in particular that about controllers. Something about mapping the Souls games to mouse-and-keyboard ended up with really weird results like double-clicking for L2/R2.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think you can still get messages/summons/bloodstains in dark souls 1 if you use a mod called dscm? it's been a couple months but i distinctly remember that working for some time after dsiii came out

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay, you clearly see Licia assume a position of pious genuflection upon accepting your generous donation; a necessary ritual passed down from generation to generation of clergy that must be carried out in order to open the ancient mystical maybe slightly rusty portal, so your disrespect is completely uncalled for. :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have we seen any bloodstains or messages anywhere? Did geop turn off connectivity?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

SynthOrange posted:

Have we seen any bloodstains or messages anywhere? Did geop turn off connectivity?

I'm pretty sure I heard someone say that it was offline.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Ya he was offline that session for whatever reason. He's back online by the next episode.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Geop, those zombies were just wanting to show you the rocks you found. They weren't eating that corpse, they were obviously carefully excavating it, which is why there were so many crouching around it.

I think there's more stuff to explore in every area except for no-man's wharf? It'll be interesting to see which way you go next, that mace is such a beast of a weapon you could probably do well down any path right now.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Wait, it's Huntsman's Copse? How did I misread that every time I saw it before?

(To be fair, I'm not familiar with the word 'copse'.)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It just means a small group of trees, not really large enough for a forest and not cultivated like an orchard.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Crazy Achmed posted:

Geop, those zombies were just wanting to show you the rocks you found. They weren't eating that corpse, they were obviously carefully excavating it, which is why there were so many crouching around it.

So you're saying they were archaeologists? Don't they have an eternal blood feud with geologists like Geop?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

So you're saying they were archaeologists? Don't they have an eternal blood feud with geologists like Geop?
"Analyze THIS!"

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Archenteron posted:

Well, the ones with the rocks might be geologists. Either way, you can't blame them for being cagey if someone charges into a dig site waving a mace around and crushing souls all over the place. It belongs in a museum!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Archenteron posted:

I'm not a geologist!! ! ! <:mad:>

Also, update possibly coming today? Or tomorrow. There's a bit of wiggle room depending on what my schedule does.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There's a rogue corpse in the rouge copse.

Also geop you handled that trap room like a pro. You're gittin gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Geop posted:

I'm not a geologist!! ! ! <:mad:>

Also, update possibly coming today? Or tomorrow. There's a bit of wiggle room depending on what my schedule does.

You're never going to get us to call you a Rockologist

• Locked thread