Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Nick Kroll is pretty superbly talented imo. All his characters are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This. There's a context to them that I feel some people are missing, so it's understandable not everybody finds them amusing. I think you need to have experienced one in real life to really get it.

I'm hispanic and grew up in Arizona, so my favorite character is Chupacabra

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm a shrieking histrionic gay on my fathers side and a growling, histrionic Australian on my mothers side so my favorite character is probably the creeky gate.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

They're very specific intellectual NYC Jewish Manhatanites who just happen to be borderline homeless/insane/sexist/racist. My best description is that they're people who would be background characters during a party scene in a golden age Woody Allen movie, but then afterwards you'd find them eating out of the trash and masturbating to a pigeon.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This. There's a context to them that I feel some people are missing, so it's understandable not everybody finds them amusing. I think you need to have experienced one in real life to really get it.

Yeah, I don't think I really got what they were going for until I saw their appearance on 98Y Plus which loving rocked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkitRyvdtJY

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 3, 2016

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Understanding the context of That Type Of Person helps with the appreciation of the Oh Hello guys, but man if the specific phrasing of John Mulaney as an unrestrained dick doesn't get you going then I dunno man

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

So many people (rightfully) on board with Gil & George, but so few for Ronna & Beverly, the same characters. As Yusuf once said, it's a wild world. :guinness:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Reformed Pissboy posted:

So many people (rightfully) on board with Gil & George, but so few for Ronna & Beverly, the same characters. As Yusuf once said, it's a wild world. :guinness:

Ronna and Bev are alot lower class then George and Gil. They are like Coffee Talk v2.0.

Edit: When I mean lower class I'm talking about their characters, not in the quality of their material.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 4, 2016

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Gil and George being acquainted with seemingly every famous serial killer/cult leader/would be presidential assassin of the last few decades will always be hilarious to me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Ronna & Beverly are great but I wish they could get bigger names on their show

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I would say Ronna & Beverly are much more grounded. I'm Jewish and know quite a few women who are exactly like Ronna & Beverly, I can't say that for Gil & George.

Ronna & Beverly are racist, while Gil & George will casually mention that they participated in the Khmer Rouge ethnic cleansing while on a sex tourist vacation.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I would say Ronna & Beverly are much more grounded. I'm Jewish and know quite a few women who are exactly like Ronna & Beverly, I can't say that for Gil & George.

Ronna & Beverly are racist, while Gil & George will casually mention that they participated in the Khmer Rouge ethnic cleansing while on a sex tourist vacation.

If it makes you feel any better I don't like Ronna & Beverly either

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Saying racist things as a character that's basically a real person isn't that funny and is in fact, kind of racist, in my opinion. Saying racist things as a talking burger that loves to gently caress is, at least, clearly not to be confused with a real opinion.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

In general "old Jewish lady" is a character trope that's run into the ground and every female comic on earth does that voice. But there are comparably few "old Jewish man" characters. Why is this? I don't know. But it's true.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

Saying racist things as a character that's basically a real person isn't that funny and is in fact, kind of racist, in my opinion. Saying racist things as a talking burger that loves to gently caress is, at least, clearly not to be confused with a real opinion.

Yo, is this racist?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

So... you don't like Jon Gabrus?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The character of geno the intern is clearly a fiction, we can tell this by him flying to LA for the podcast, his painfully thin frame, and his family drama. Also he is kind of racist and is trapped in the alt comedy negazone of racism where he sort of half apologizes for it while continuing to do it, as opposed to the San Fransisco comic who would not be racist, funny; or the New York comic who would be racist with pride and candor.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

In general "old Jewish lady" is a character trope that's run into the ground and every female comic on earth does that voice. But there are comparably few "old Jewish man" characters. Why is this? I don't know. But it's true.

Have you seen how angry Adomian gets when other people do Sanders

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

One of the things I really like about Gino the intern is how Jon tries to infuse him with the standard CBB reoccurring character continuity points, always bringing up his family and so on, and Scott just does not care and wants him to basically just bullshit with the guest. I always find it refreshing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The character of geno the intern is clearly a fiction, we can tell this by him flying to LA for the podcast, his painfully thin frame, and his family drama. Also he is kind of racist and is trapped in the alt comedy negazone of racism where he sort of half apologizes for it while continuing to do it, as opposed to the San Fransisco comic who would not be racist, funny; or the New York comic who would be racist with pride and candor.

Yeah, but he represents a real type of person and real types of attitudes, in a similar way to Gil & George and Ronna & Beverly.

Also, Gabrus doesn't just say racist things as Geno. Listen to pretty much any of his I4H appearances or his any episode of his podcast. He doesn't really have a filter at all when it comes to race-based humor.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, but he represents a real type of person and real types of attitudes, in a similar way to Gil & George and Ronna & Beverly.

Also, Gabrus doesn't just say racist things as Geno. Listen to pretty much any of his I4H appearances or his any episode of his podcast. He doesn't really have a filter at all when it comes to race-based humor.

30 secs into Gabrus' YMIW "...Boba friend of the family"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Ronna and Beverly are accurate impressions but not funny characters

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

So... you don't like Jon Gabrus?

People mix these up all the time, John Gemberling is the one who sounds like an old jewish Manhattanite.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I actually never confused Gabrus and Gemberling until everyone started joking about them being the same. theyre really different types of guys aside from both being fat

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

For me it's less actually confusing them and more just saying the wrong G name.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I just use this handy mnemonic device.

Want a horse to suck your thing? Call Gemberling

Ensuring the white race by loving a purebred 'pus? That's Gabrus

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Was the howl pay wall supposed to be up? Because last night i listened to an episode from 200 episodes ago.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

soggybagel posted:

Was the howl pay wall supposed to be up? Because last night i listened to an episode from 200 episodes ago.

Howl isn't real.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

soggybagel posted:

There's a post on the Earwolf forums from the start of July saying it would be up 'in another week or so' so who knows

Also you can buy annual subscriptions for $35 now

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

Also you can get still everything in howl for free incredibly easily. Howl is chill.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My favorite part of Oh Hello is that George has murdered at least a couple of wives.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
anyone want to head down to the movie theater at 1122 boogie woogie avenue with me to go see.......

thuiiiiicide
squaaaaad?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I loved that Vermouth line because they broke down, nearly got past it, then broke down again.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This episode gave me a heady high

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

So happy Bro is finally back

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Real C+ ep today, just great all around.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
"I saw Scheer spit Nick's cum out between the gap in his teeth."

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Wait, is this a line from the ep? Because I was just saving it for whenever but if so I gotta listen like right now.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am a huge fan of list comedy

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this line really put me in the couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order