Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Quorum posted:

Good news everyone, :siren: it's time for the Libertarian Town Hall live on CNN! :siren: Soon you too can watch CNN implicitly validate yet another stupid as gently caress ideology by refusing to challenge its excesses.

Tons of would-be republican friends on social media are gushing about this thing and Gary Johnson's candidacy.

I hate how the average middle class, white, "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" person just falls all over any republican or libertarian that sufficiently cloaks overt bigotry and feeds them straight up Reaganomics. It's like catnip to these people.

You can see it in their eyes, their soul aches for a nice, boring republican that will politely continue the destruction of upward mobility without raising any nasty alarms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

I would have beaned that stupid smug driver

Bioshock Infinity 2: Some choices actually matter now*.

*not really.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Slate Action posted:

According to MSNBC, Trump has dispatched campaign staffers to Wisconsin to help Paul Nehlen with his campaign.

I can't decide if this is a snub against Paul Ryan or a brilliant act of political sabotage on Paul Nehlen.

EDIT: Paul x2, the new hit sitcom

gregday
May 23, 2003

I definitely believe Trump started his day with some Special K.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Tons of would-be republican friends on social media are gushing about this thing and Gary Johnson's candidacy.

I hate how the average middle class, white, "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" person just falls all over any republican or libertarian that sufficiently cloaks overt bigotry and feeds them straight up Reaganomics. It's like catnip to these people.

You can see it in their eyes, their soul aches for a nice, boring republican that will politely continue the destruction of upward mobility without raising any nasty alarms.

It's "logical serious governing" for people who don't want to spend more then 30 seconds learning how the World/Government operates and things they are just so smart they know it all already or can "common sense" it out, I loathe those people more then Tea Party people because at least they acknowledge/celebrate their ignorance.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Quorum posted:

Good news everyone, :siren: it's time for the Libertarian Town Hall live on CNN! :siren: Soon you too can watch CNN implicitly validate yet another stupid as gently caress ideology by refusing to challenge its excesses.

the town hall can't belong to the whole town, that isn't libertarian goddamnit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

socialsecurity posted:

It's "logical serious governing" for people who don't want to spend more then 30 seconds learning how the World/Government operates and things they are just so smart they know it all already or can "common sense" it out, I loathe those people more then Tea Party people because at least they acknowledge/celebrate their ignorance.

Libertarianism is the belief that all your successes are solely because of you and all your failures are solely because of others

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't care about the Melania angle, I just want to see of there was a second instance of Trump inventing a fake person.

Phone posting so I don't have any links but a couple of news organizations tracked her down. She really exists, although whether she really was the writer or just a sacrificial lamb can be open for debate.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gregday posted:

I definitely believe Trump started his day with some Special K.

I disagree, he'd probably be calmer and saner. Coke would be more likely.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Trump: ‘I don’t know why we’re not leading by a lot’

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Sorry if this was already posted - The director of Public Defenders in MO deputized the Governor as a public defender after he kept cutting their budget:
http://www.publicdefender.mo.gov/Newsfeed/Delegation_of_Representation.PDF

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Pence getting the Chris Christie treatment

https://twitter.com/mike_pence/status/760948495977111552

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

I don't know, Donald. You're probably just not shouting/tweeting your true opinions about troublesome minority groups enough. It worked for you in the primary, right?

:allears:

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Who spells friendship as two words?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trump's going to cause D&D to suffer a massive outbreak of reverse-Azrying, but it's all a trap. A YUUUGE, golden trap. :ohdear:

seiferguy posted:

I still think Kasich and / or Rubio would have given Hillary a run for her money. Kasich was white bread, and in the face of Hillary Clinton, every moderate-to-right leaning person could easily vote for "Moderate" (god I can't air quote this hard enough) Kasich. Rubio would get the "see? I'm not racist vote" on top of basically having the appearance of being normal, if not robotic.

Of course, the Republican party went off the rails and gave us Trump and Cruz as their front runners, two of the most unlikable people in the party.

Kasich could've but Rubio would've lost ground in each and every debate while Kasich do fair better while still keeping his bullshit "moderate" mask from slipping and not fumble through debates like Rubio.

A Man With A Plan posted:

Fishmech gave a bit more detail but it's these guys. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_on_Presidential_Debates

The parties jointly run it.

E: phone posting so slow. But fwiw it's a 15% threshold I believe for any candidate to participate

There's no reason for them to change it to allow a pair of attention-seekers like Stein and Johnson on stage either. They would not win and at most could maybe play spoiler if the race were close. We need to stop pretending 3rd party candidates for parties with zero offices held matter because they don't. They're dumb fringe parties that think they can win and govern from the top down.

TVarmy posted:

What I wonder is what Trump's numbers would be against another Democrat. A part of me likes to think 40% of Americans aren't on board with fascism and nuclear war, unless it's to keep the bad lady they hear about on the talk radio shows out.

"Proceed, Governor" would be nothing compared to Trump vs. Obama debates.

Josef bugman posted:

I would have liked to have seen a Bernie Sanders vs Donald Trump debate. :sad:

That and I am kind of wondering, after 2020 and if Hillary wins that... who is next up for the Democrats? Because a lot of people involved in politics seem to be going the same way as Trumps supporters. Getting older and dying in droves.

4-8 years is a long, long time in politics. Keep in mind that few knew who Obama was outside of those who watched the 2004 DNC, and in 2000 he wasn't known at all outside of his area (and maybe the state). Obama, whether the 2008, 2012, or current Trollbama version, would all obliterate Trump through different ways. He'd easily have an 2-3 points more over Trump than Hilary does even in his worst polls.

2020 could see someone like Sandoval try for the GOP though he'd still have to get through a primary against Cruz and other insane types if the GOP doesn't purge them over the next 4 years.

:tviv:

That's amazing. If/when the governor doesn't show up what happens? Held in contempt? Disbarred? A little of both and something more?

Can Obama please have this taint on humanity publicly executed on his last day in office?

Epic High Five posted:

In case we forgot about it, Trump is apparently showing off his faux purple heart at his Jacksonville rally right now. He's so proud of it, he's always wanted one, and he's right that this way is easier

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Daaaaamn. I mean, I know Trump will kvetch because Duckworth is a politician and all but that's a bad fight to pick.

Adding to that:
JR Martinez, the veteran (who was in a truck, hit with an IED and spent 5 minutes in the burning vehicle before being extracted) from Dancing With The Stars, spoke about Trump's purple heart fiasco

Dude. You know Trump's going to respond. You just know he's going to talk poo poo about a guy that had burns over 33% of his body.
And I can't wait to see it happen.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

Jeb!'s only advantage, other than being so low energy that Hillary would have had to try to present his arguments for him, would be feeding into "hurr hurr Bush vs. Clinton aren't you tired of political dynasties? ps vote Bush"

Ben Carson would probably be losing by a comparable amount, but would at least be merely bugfuck insane, rather than bugfuck insane and a bellowing Mussolini-esque cartoon character.

Jeb!: yes.

Carson: I don't think we can predict what would happen if he were nominated. A Republican party that gives a black guy enough southern votes to clinch a majority of delegates is so radically different in history and demographics from our own, it could only happen on Earth-2.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"Mike,” a voice seemed to whisper. His head snapped up. “Who said that?” All he could see were the trees and the fog that covered them. The voice had been as faint as rustling leaves, as cold as hate. A god’s voice, or a ghost’s. How many died the day that he took the governor's mansion? How many more the day he lost it? The day that Mike Pence died, to be reborn as Reek. Reek, Reek, it rhymes with shriek.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I guess it isn't possible to die from hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy presumes anything he's saying is true.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
What the gently caress is up with Trump? I for the life of me can't tell. He has wit, charm, some successful business ventures, and so I would assume a bit of sobriety too - but apparently not! Did he hit his head? Are we really watching a man's brain rot in real time?

What a great election.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Buffer posted:

Sorry if this was already posted - The director of Public Defenders in MO deputized the Governor as a public defender after he kept cutting their budget:

Amazing. I'm rewatching the West Wing and I feel like you could drop this in the show.

*Sam strides purposefully into the oval.*

"I've got it! 600.042.5!"

"...drafting public defenders?"

"Yep."

"You don't mean?"

"Yep."

"Would it work?"

"I think so."

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Clevermuldoon posted:

Who spells friendship as two words?

He's literally talking about their "friend ship" - their yacht where they hash out all the dumb poo poo they're going to say the next day while sipping on Trump Wine

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Telephones posted:

What the gently caress is up with Trump? I for the life of me can't tell. He has wit, charm, some successful business ventures, and so I would assume a bit of sobriety too - but apparently not! Did he hit his head? Are we really watching a man's brain rot in real time?

What a great election.

Trump has been Trump for decades, this is just what he does.

I grew up reading Bloom County and so this whole thing is extremely weird to me. I mean - jesus, people, he didn't pop out of some portal, he's been a stupid blowhard who makes money by going bankrupt in creative ways because he can't do it any other way for the entirety of his adult life. This is not new information.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Telephones posted:

He has wit,

no

quote:

charm

no

quote:

some successful business ventures

super no

Donald Trump is not and has never been a successful businessman. His entire "brand" is about marketing himself as a rich man to poor people. He acts like what poor people think rich and successful people act like, they assume he is actually rich and successful.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I think the most amazing thing about the last week isn't Clinton's DNC bump (which is very real), it's that Trump's RNC bump has been COMPLETELY erased, and then some. He's literally polling below where he was on the last day of the RNC. I mean, that's just mind boggling.

edit: I mean just loving look at that graph:

:eyepop:

berserker fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 4, 2016

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Riven posted:

Amazing. I'm rewatching the West Wing and I feel like you could drop this in the show.

*Sam strides purposefully into the oval.*

"I've got it! 600.042.5!"

"...drafting public defenders?"

"Yep."

"You don't mean?"

"Yep."

"Would it work?"

"I think so."

For some reason I see Josh pitching this to Sam instead.
EDIT: Except Josh wouldn't say "i think so.". He'd probably say something closer to like "Let's find out".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Just because a organization does good things does not mean it has permission to do bad things. That's a very unusual ethical argument. Like even if The Gates foundation saves thousands of lives their not then given permission to kill one child.

Do you have an actual substantial criticism of the Clinton Foundation, or are you "just asking questions man, we can't prove she's not killing and stealing when no one's looking, but people are saying she is, lots of people are saying that and they have reasons they believe it, so let's not rule anything out here"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Telephones posted:

What a great election.

He's always been a raging narcissist but now he's on the biggest stage of them all. He's like Icarus, except an rear end in a top hat.

Dickarus.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Trump's been a joke for over twice as long as some first-time voters this year have been alive. He was already well-known and little-liked -- the tiny amount his image has changed for this election is surprising already.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Telephones posted:

He has wit, charm, some successful business ventures

His dad was rich and he coasted off that money and connections. The end. That is the life of Donald Trump. He has more failed businesses than successful ones, and if he didn't have daddy's money he wouldn't even have that. He's a narcissist. Literally, a clinical narcissist. People here talking about how things will quietly down when Trump shuts up for a minute do not understand that he is psychologically incapable of shutting up. These current controversies won't quiet down because he won't shut up about them until everyone involved apologies to him, because he's mentally ill and that is how he sees the world.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Superrodan posted:

For some reason I see Josh pitching this to Sam instead.
EDIT: Except Josh wouldn't say "i think so.". He'd probably say something closer to like "Let's find out".

Yeah that's good, and I forgot to add the last line:

"Okay."

*both walk out*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

He's always been a raging narcissist but now he's on the biggest stage of them all. He's like Icarus, except an rear end in a top hat.

Dickarus.

Icaranus

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah lets not call Donald Trump a successful businessman in the terms of his business.

He has less money than where he started. That's not exactly successful. Now how good of a con man he is? Well...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Trump's been a joke for over twice as long as some first-time voters this year have been alive. He was already well-known and little-liked -- the tiny amount his image has changed for this election is surprising already.

Well, maybe not surprising. People aren't actively alarmed by a conman in real estate like they are by a fascist demagogue, so the same behavior is seen quite differently. Also there was always the idea that a lot of his public persona was just kayfabe since he has been so "successful" and how could such a loathsome blowhard be successful? The truth is, of course, this:

Boogaleeboo posted:

His dad was rich and he coasted off that money and connections. The end. That is the life of Donald Trump. He has more failed businesses than successful ones, and if he didn't have daddy's money he wouldn't even have that.

and there is no actual success, nor is there a private Trump. He is exactly what he appears, and this campaign has made that conclusion unavoidable.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

In case we forgot about it, Trump is apparently showing off his faux purple heart at his Jacksonville rally right now. He's so proud of it, he's always wanted one, and he's right that this way is easier

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Well, maybe not surprising. People aren't actively alarmed by a conman in real estate like they are by a fascist demagogue, so the same behavior is seen quite differently. Also there was always the idea that a lot of his public persona was just kayfabe since he has been so "successful" and how could such a loathsome blowhard be successful? The truth is, of course, this:

and there is no actual success, nor is there a private Trump. He is exactly what he appears, and this campaign has made that conclusion unavoidable.

I'm on mobile right now so can't link it, but there was a profile done of Trump that ended with saying he had achieved "the ultimate luxury - a life untroubled by the rumblings of a soul" that I felt summarized it well

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Buffer posted:

:catstare:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Buffer posted:

It did get posted, but yes it is pretty glorious, with any luck he'll get a lot of scrutiny over it.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

max4me posted:

Prestor is an interesting character, Basically grew up in a religious fundamentalist cult, I believe also worked at cedar rapids.

Also was homeless in austin and gave a good thread about their homeless camp program. Turns out to be a schizophrenic, Thats really the qualification here, a "crazy" person explaining these conservative assholes. I didnt believe the predictions ether, but this melt down so soon after the convention is spot on.

I had a hard time with prestor's prediction of insight to violence or one of trumps followers picking up a secret message and killing someone.

And seeing how he keeps pissing off people at his rallies I think the odds of him getting a riot going are getting less and less

Prester is great and I like her thread on authoritarians and her other threads a whole lot.

However, she's not the first to predict the rise of someone like Trump or the current state of the Republican party and associated right-wingers.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh did this slip under the radar in USPOL? Because one of the things he did yesterday was accept a replica purple heart from someone and say he's always wanted to get one, and this way is way easier

• Locked thread