Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

:perfect:

hahaha, what a way to start a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

You son of a bitch

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster
Huh. It seems as if audiences and critics are less interested in what pretty frozen images you can screenshot for internet forums, and more interested in characterization, interaction and dialogue, ie the things humans react to in a story. There must be something wrong with them

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sounds like those people should go to a play instead of ignoring the inherent cinematography that comes with cinema.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Are they interested in screenshots that aren't for Internet forums?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fuckman posted:

Huh. It seems as if audiences and critics are less interested in what pretty frozen images you can screenshot for internet forums, and more interested in characterization, interaction and dialogue, ie the things humans react to in a story. There must be something wrong with them
No, that's fine. I don't get why fuckmen are scared of people trying to discuss cinema in a subforum for discussing cinema and instead take every post as a personal attack on literally everybody.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cinema is good blood.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sounds like those people should go to a play instead of ignoring the inherent cinematography that comes with cinema.

That's a bit harsh. I'm sure plays utilize elements of 3D design and have better lighting than The Avengers.

Edit: Yes.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 4, 2016

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

Detective No. 27 posted:

Your opinion on the comparative irrelevance of human interaction is noted for the brief moment before it is drowned out by the tidal roar of critics and audiences

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Fuckman posted:

Your opinion on the comparative irrelevance of human interaction is noted and drowned out by the tidal roar of critics and audiences

Tezzer rereg: expert on human interaction.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fuckman posted:

Your opinion on the comparative irrelevance of human interaction is noted for the brief moment before it is drowned out by the tidal roar of critics and audiences

:nsallears:

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster
Three characters meet in the woods. Thor is angry that his very dangerous brother has escaped and mere mortals who don't know what they are dealing with refuse to hand him to the gods' justice. Tony Stark is irreverent, literally, which further angers Thor, who we know to be a pompous, violent hothead. Stark is arrogant and possessive and dismissive, he sees Thor as an annoyance and an interloper keeping him from his goal. Thor sees Stark as a deluded fool. Thor attacks and Stark rises to the challenge, to prove the tech he built is above so-called magic. From afar, Loki watches with glee. They fight and Thor inadvertently gives Stark a brief advantage, which sets the tone - Thor is clearly more powerful, but Stark's cleverness keeps them evenly matched. Steve Rogers arrives to play peacemaker, but misjudged how much Thor - an unknown to him at this point- is amped for a fight. Thor blindly attacks Rogers in a rage, causing a wave of destruction. The characters stand up, the climax passed. Rogers asks "Are we done here," and indeed, we are. But the cinematography is lame, and that's the important thing, say guys who defend the Star Wars prequels.

On the other hand, two characters hate each other, but one realizes that they both have a mommy named Martha. But with good slow-mo cinematography pictures you could screenshot for your wallpaper. I can't imagine why one is considered a boring mess

Fuckman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 4, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
On the third hand, dude obsessed with Steampunk and easily trolled writes paragraphs of how everyone's caring too hard.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Equeen posted:

Tezzer rereg: expert on human interaction.
Who's Tezzer?

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster
A Glistening Hodor in GBS made an excellent point as to why Pretty Pictures can, in some cases, be counterproductive to the story you're telling. I can't find the original post so let me summarize.

A family is stranded on their roof due to a flood. Superman appears, backlit by the sun. They reach out to him. It all looks epic.

It would be a great comic splash page, or a great two pages, of the desperate woman reaching out to the sky, and then pan over to Superman hovering in the sky in a halo of light.

The problem is when you try to apply that image to a moving picture. We get an image of a Superman who looks like a weird, distant, alien rear end in a top hat, who is floating there watching these people scramble for safety, perhaps moments away from their home collapsing from the floodwaters and plunging them into the current, while they reach out to him for help and he stays there, unmoving. It creates a great image!! It creates a character who feels like an emotionless sadist drinking in their supplication.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
An idiot director wasting his time and ours:

I couldn't find a good quality capture and I don't know where my DVD is.

Fuckman posted:

A Glistening Hodor in GBS made an excellent point as to why Pretty Pictures can, in some cases, be counterproductive to the story you're telling.

Or it can humanize an alien having alien problems:

You're arguing against the very concept of 2D composition because you think it was used wrong in your example.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 4, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

TetsuoTW posted:

Who's Tezzer?

He was a poster in the Star Wars CD thread who whined about people liking the prequels. His username might have been Tezzor.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 4, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Three characters meet in the woods. They "fight". Steve Rogers arrives to play peacemaker, but misjudged how much Thor - an unknown to him at this point- is amped for a "fight". Thor blindly "attacks" Rogers in a rage, causing a wave of "destruction". The characters stand up, the climax passed. Rogers asks "Are we done here," and indeed, we are.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

seravid posted:

Three characters meet in the woods. They "fight". Steve Rogers arrives to play peacemaker, but misjudged how much Thor - an unknown to him at this point- is amped for a "fight". Thor blindly "attacks" Rogers in a rage, causing a wave of "destruction". The characters stand up, the climax passed. Rogers asks "Are we done here," and indeed, we are.

I'm Black Widow reading Fuckman's posts.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fuckman posted:

The problem is when you try to apply that image to a moving picture. We get an image of a Superman who looks like a weird, distant, alien rear end in a top hat, who is floating there watching these people scramble for safety, perhaps moments away from their home collapsing from the floodwaters and plunging them into the current, while they reach out to him for help and he stays there, unmoving. It creates a great image!! It creates a character who feels like an emotionless sadist drinking in their supplication.

That scene is part of a montage where people give their views about Superman, both positive and negative, and it shows how those people on the roof view Superman in a way that can be interpreted as either.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Equeen posted:

He was a poster in the Star Wars CD thread who whined about people liking the prequels. His username might have been Tezzor.
Well on the one hand the prequels are loving terrible, but on the other hand it's OK to like a movie.

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

The MSJ posted:

That scene is part of a montage where people give their views about Superman, both positive and negative, and it shows how those people on the roof view Superman in a way that can be interpreted as either.

Ambiguity over Superman's actions as a distant weirdo was sure the right way to go when establishing your franchise lmao

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fuckman posted:

Ambiguity over Superman's actions as a distant weirdo was sure the right way to go when establishing your franchise lmao

:agreed:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fuckman posted:

Well, yes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fuckman posted:

Hey you found a correct thought good for you

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

Hm. Img-Rottentomatoes + BvS-BoxOffice.png

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Fuckman posted:

Three characters meet in the woods. Thor is angry that his very dangerous brother has escaped and mere mortals who don't know what they are dealing with refuse to hand him to the gods' justice. Tony Stark is irreverent, literally, which further angers Thor, who we know to be a pompous, violent hothead. Stark is arrogant and possessive and dismissive, he sees Thor as an annoyance and an interloper keeping him from his goal. Thor sees Stark as a deluded fool. Thor attacks and Stark rises to the challenge, to prove the tech he built is above so-called magic. From afar, Loki watches with glee. They fight and Thor inadvertently gives Stark a brief advantage, which sets the tone - Thor is clearly more powerful, but Stark's cleverness keeps them evenly matched. Steve Rogers arrives to play peacemaker, but misjudged how much Thor - an unknown to him at this point- is amped for a fight. Thor blindly attacks Rogers in a rage, causing a wave of destruction. The characters stand up, the climax passed. Rogers asks "Are we done here," and indeed, we are. But the cinematography is lame, and that's the important thing, say guys who defend the Star Wars prequels.

On the other hand, two characters hate each other, but one realizes that they both have a mommy named Martha. But with good slow-mo cinematography pictures you could screenshot for your wallpaper. I can't imagine why one is considered a boring mess

This is why Cinematography is important. Look at the feelings it evokes, the meltdowns it provokes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fuckman posted:

Three characters meet in the woods. Thor is angry that his very dangerous brother has escaped and mere mortals who don't know what they are dealing with refuse to hand him to the gods' justice. Tony Stark is irreverent, literally, which further angers Thor, who we know to be a pompous, violent hothead. Stark is arrogant and possessive and dismissive, he sees Thor as an annoyance and an interloper keeping him from his goal. Thor sees Stark as a deluded fool. Thor attacks and Stark rises to the challenge, to prove the tech he built is above so-called magic. From afar, Loki watches with glee. They fight and Thor inadvertently gives Stark a brief advantage, which sets the tone - Thor is clearly more powerful, but Stark's cleverness keeps them evenly matched. Steve Rogers arrives to play peacemaker, but misjudged how much Thor - an unknown to him at this point- is amped for a fight. Thor blindly attacks Rogers in a rage, causing a wave of destruction. The characters stand up, the climax passed. Rogers asks "Are we done here," and indeed, we are.
All of this is exactly as interesting as anything a child comes up with while playing with toys.

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Or it can humanize an alien having alien problems:

You're arguing against the very concept of 2D composition because you think it was used wrong in your example.

this looks like forgettable generic poo poo and it's laughable that one would even invoke it. Imo

Fuckman fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 4, 2016

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster
I want you all to visit the obscure website Youtube.com and search for Zack Snyder until you've seen enough of the man speaking and describing his creative decisions and the reasons behind them to disabuse yourself of the notion that he is a misunderstood genius and start becoming impressed at the apparent fact that he dresses himself without a team of nurses.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kenneth was wasted on this film and all the bullshit that was tied to it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fuckman posted:

Hm. Img-Rottentomatoes + BvS-BoxOffice.png

:ohdear:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fuckman posted:

I want you all to visit the obscure website Youtube.com and search for Zack Snyder until you've seen enough of the man speaking and describing his creative decisions and the reasons behind them to disabuse yourself of the notion that he is a misunderstood genius and start becoming impressed at the apparent fact that he dresses himself without a team of nurses.
Show me on the doll where DC touched you.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fuckman posted:

Yeah, putting on clothes can be difficult when you're so swole.

Burkion posted:

Kenneth was wasted on this film and all the bullshit that was tied to it.
Was his Tom Clancy movie better?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

Was his Tom Clancy movie better?

Haven't gotten to see it yet. I hope so

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

On the third hand, dude obsessed with Steampunk and easily trolled writes paragraphs of how everyone's caring too hard.

hahaa I forgot about the steam punk wedding. Tezzor is the gift that keeps on giving. He's like the Donald Trump of elaborately hating DC movies and Star Wars prequels

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zelder posted:

someday i hope to be released from this comic book hellscape i've slaved my soul to, but i can't, because if i don't keep watching them, i'll never get to see NFL SuperPro lovingly brought to the big screen
Same but for SPORTSMASTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8P4VAtzZ_U

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think of Tezzor as an impotent Galactus.

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, putting on clothes can be difficult when you're so swol

This seems like a weird tactic, employed solely by fanboys when it is convenient. Nerds are prejudiced against films when they have women directors or casts and aren't directed at white heterosexual cismales. But wait! They're also prejudiced against films when it looks like the white hetero cismale director goes to Gold's gym twice a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

As it happens, David Ayers best film (End of Watch) has absolute poo poo cinematography but is good by virtue of its excellent characterization. Is that irony?

• Locked thread