Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

infernal machines posted:

but this is microsoft linux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo if you Bing! "emet" it doesn't take you to the emet page just some generic-rear end Microsoft Download website

get your poo poo together

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lmbo their download site doesn't work on a fresh win10 install on edge jesus christ

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

too cool for qa

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ahahahaha exe's signed by Dell are being blocked from launching by default and the "how to I unblock this publisher" link takes you to Microsoft's Win10 download center

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lmbo their download site doesn't work on a fresh win10 install on edge jesus christ

the update catalog still requires an activex control

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

are you using some kind of multi-boot config or goofy custom bootloader?

nope

is there a ISO that includes anniversary? I can just clean install

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in theory the windows 10 media tool should be getting the anniversary edition now

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

uncurable mlady posted:

nope

If you have Windows on another computer, get the Media Creation Tool here and spin one off.
If you have not-Windows (or can fake a not-Windows user agent), that will let you get the canonical ISOs. I don't know why they don't like Windows-havers having ISOs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

don;t fresh install in 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

incoherent posted:

don;t fresh install in 2016

what the hell are you supposed to do with a new hard drive then

also resets don't clear out busted drivers

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/timsweeneyepic/status/760233407041462273

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shaggar are you upgrading to windows 8.1 now that windows 10 is a linux

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

nope

yeah, the iso you get from the win10 updater tool is the latest build

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

waa! waa! I'm a big dumb baby who doesn't want MS making fun of my lovely drivers that shouldnt be kernel mode anyway! -idiot from twitter

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

waa! waa! I'm a big dumb baby who doesn't want MS making fun of my lovely drivers that shouldnt be kernel mode anyway! -idiot from twitter

nah it's funnier than that

tim sweeney is legit-convinced microsoft's master plan is to silently kill win32 support and kill steam off that way

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

and in that blog it says that you can get around this by turning secure boot off

how many malicious drivers are out there today anyways? things like that sony rootkit and starforce were a long time ago.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 4, 2016

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

univbee posted:

nah it's funnier than that

tim sweeney is legit-convinced microsoft's master plan is to silently kill win32 support and kill steam off that way

that's like saying microsoft will remotely upgrade your computer to an OS with ads without user permission :tinfoil:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The_Franz posted:

and in that blog it says that you can get around this by turning secure boot off

how many malicious drivers are out there today anyways? things like that sony rootkit and starforce were a long time ago.

the problem is, it wasn't a big target in the past because there was so many other ways to get in to the system and do whatever the hell you want. security at the OS was effectively poo poo because practically everything has admin rights, was a kernel mode drive, who gives a poo poo. in corporate environments these days, users having admin rights is no longer the norm, the OS and hardware platform has a poo poo ton of signing and baked-in security. but allowing arbitrarily signed kernel mode drives is a huge hole that would allow you to backdoor the hell out of an environment. that has big complications for corporate espionage and state-level actors and you're probably never going to hear about it when the stuff turns up because its in the best interest of everyone who discovered it to keep it quiet

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
win10 update status: ive disconnected all drives and external USB stuff based on some things I've read from people having this problem with win8.1 updates, still doesn't work

great job team

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no problems here

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i sold my windows pc not 5 minutes ago

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

win10 update status: ive disconnected all drives and external USB stuff based on some things I've read from people having this problem with win8.1 updates, still doesn't work

great job team

ask shaggar for his private reserve copy, seems to work 100% of the time

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, the upgrade did indeed roll my video drivers back 17 versions, lol. didnt have time to test whether that fixes my gamin problem tho

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

no problems here

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

uncurable mlady posted:

great job team

u didnt need them any way

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

no problems here

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

oh cool so that's why my nikon film scanner doesn't work

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

why would a scanner need kernel drivers?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

why would a scanner need kernel drivers?

where else do they go

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

quote:

Enforcement only happens on fresh installations, with Secure Boot on, and only applies to new kernel mode drivers:

PCs upgrading from a release of Windows prior to Windows 10 Version 1607 will still permit installation of cross-signed drivers.
PCs with Secure Boot OFF will still permit installation of cross-signed drivers.
Drivers signed with cross-signing certificate issued prior to July 29th 2015, when the initial policy went into place, will continue to be allowed.
To prevent systems from failing to boot properly, boot drivers will not be blocked, but they will be removed by the Program Compatibility Assistant. Future versions of Windows will block boot drivers.
To summarize, on non-upgraded fresh installations of Windows 10, version 1607 with Secure Boot ON, drivers must be signed by Microsoft or with cross-signed certificates issued prior to July 29th, 2015.

In other words this doesn't matter at all unless you're an idiot that buys Microsoft hardware where you can't disable secure boot.
Your wicked killer gaming rig at home won't be affected by this at all.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lotta mentally deficient ppl itt dealing with how bad windows is instead of buying a mac

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

seems like source forge projects have this happen a lot. not sure if it's related to that.

not to mention source forge themselves will put adware in your app, then refuse to let you remove your app from source forge

Source forge is under new management and removed all that crap

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Janitor Prime posted:

where else do they go

scanner drivers don't need to be in kernel mode. very few drivers need to run in kernel mode

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

uncurable mlady posted:

great job team

rebuild your bcd. the error you're getting is saying it can't access a device referenced in the bcd, so either there's an invalid entry or you have a hosed up partition table/non-standard partition layout

poo poo also happens if the system reserved partition isn't there/isn't the first partition/isn't big enough

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hackbunny posted:

scanner drivers don't need to be in kernel mode. very few drivers need to run in kernel mode

permissions?! but this is windows, not linux, i don't wanna deal with that poo poo
-every device manufacturer ever

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm @TimSweeneyEpic

dm me

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

hobbesmaster posted:

permissions?! but this is windows, not linux, i don't wanna deal with that poo poo
-every device manufacturer ever

Then have fun making phone components for 80 cents per gross! :byewhore:
-Microsoft

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I did the win 10 anniversary update and it hosed up my computer sideways, 10 minutes after rebooting a blue screen. After it being back on i noticed the hard drive kept locking up, reinstalled nvidia drivers to no effect, then went to device manager and found something interesting.

Win 10 had replaced my chipset drivers including the sata ones for generic win ones from 2006, i managed to restore some of them but not the sata which i had to do some extensive googling to find.

this is loving worse than installing gentoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

After upgrading my Parallels Windows 10 VM to agony edition, the microsoft remote desktop client keeps ignoring modifier keys so I can't reliably enter passwords that have uppercase characters. Third party alternatives work fine, it's just the new mstsc.exe with ugly Metro parts sticking out of it

Beta tested in the future

• Locked thread