Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

He'll make another gaffe today or tomorrow and everyone will move on. They need a rapid response ad team for this stuff. Doesn't need to be televised or in paid ad space, just whip it up and stick on youtube and let the news media run clips talking about it.

It's incredibly easy for that to backfire. It's better to wait and see if the controversy sticks on is own and if so hit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I guess this is why I work in rocks and mud instead of political consulting.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

We're gonna be seeing so many of these ads binding local candidates to the Trump Hindenburg :q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SwjjZ_IfY

Oh god, do Portman now.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ReidRansom posted:

He'll make another gaffe today or tomorrow and everyone will move on. They need a rapid response ad team for this stuff. Doesn't need to be televised or in paid ad space, just whip it up and stick on youtube and let the news media run clips talking about it.

No you don't you give him the rope to hang himself with. This poo poo is not getting resolved, just overtaken. Then it will all get brought back up and the wounds reopened.

Going whole hog right now is what the GOP does, and that's why they have no ammo left for Hillary.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't think he needs to make another gaffe. This story about his wife and her papers seems to have some traction.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No you don't you give him the rope to hang himself with. This poo poo is not getting resolved, just overtaken. Then it will all get brought back up and the wounds reopened.

Going whole hog right now is what the GOP does, and that's why they have no ammo left for Hillary.

Hillary Clinton is the political equivalent of antibiotic resistant strains. They overused the slander and attack for everything she's ever done, and it's inoculated her against them. Now the Republican Party gets to poo poo itself to death, helpless to stop it.

This is the worst analogy I will make this month.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Like Hillary is going to try and bait him into making statements in the debates that contradict or touch on some of these issues. Then they will take him going "I have always loved the vets! " and lay it over the recent stuff to remind everyone what he actually has said.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ReidRansom posted:

I guess this is why I work in rocks and mud instead of political consulting.
You're better off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the Atlah World MIssionary Church, they of the, uh

is in massive debt and just got foreclosed on and is to be sold at public auction.

and look who's trying to buy it

quote:

In the near-decade that Stacy Parker LeMelle has lived across the street from the Atlah Worldwide Missionary Church on Lenox Avenue, she has had to swallow a daily dose of outrage. There — on one of the most important streets in the history of black culture and in the middle of the city where the modern gay rights movement began — it stands: an official letter board sign used to regularly promote racist and homophobic hate.

"Jesus would stone homos," trumpeted one of the more jarring messages mounted outside the church in recent years, stopping many a passerby cold. "Obama has released the homo demons on the black man. Look out black woman. A white homo may take your man," read another.

At first LeMelle tried to ignore it, occasionally laughing at the proclamations when they became too much to walk past without yielding to some sort of emotional reaction. Eventually, though, she and her neighbors decided they had seen enough.

"We knew that silence wasn't an option anymore," LeMelle told MSNBC in a February interview just blocks away from the Atlah church where, for years, the sign out front served as a vehicle for racially-charged, homophobic rhetoric and conspiracy theories, often about President Obama.

"We would have to do something," she said.

Determined to channel their anger into a positive cause, LeMelle and her neighbors started raising money in 2014 for the Ali Forney Center, a nearby organization that provides shelter and services to LGBT homeless youth. Now, in an ironic twist of fate, that same organization stands a chance at buying the church building that has for so long embodied discrimination against the very community the Ali Forney Center was created to serve.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think he needs to make another gaffe. This story about his wife and her papers seems to have some traction.

Going after family members is best left to the media. Using it in a campaign ad is going to backfire immediately, besides, the Clinton campaign does not want to open up the Bill can of worms on this by firing the first shot. The Dems were very quiet during the plagiarism thing and smartly so.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Besides it would be difficult to go whole hog with the Olympics about to suck some of the air out of the room. You've got to be careful which stories you try and keep smoldering. Unless Trump douses himself in gasoline(again) of course.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are there any good life insurance articles that I could do a short write-up on for class?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Are there any good life insurance articles that I could do a short write-up on for class?

nope you're out of luck

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

farraday posted:

Besides it would be difficult to go whole hog with the Olympics about to suck some of the air out of the room. You've got to be careful which stories you try and keep smoldering. Unless Trump douses himself in gasoline(again) of course.

Trump is not going to take the Olympics taking some of the attention off him very well at all, I suspect.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

zoux posted:

So the Atlah World MIssionary Church, they of the, uh

is in massive debt and just got foreclosed on and is to be sold at public auction.

and look who's trying to buy it

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Shbobdb posted:

This might be a better question for Games, but isn't Trump just channeling Gandhi here? His words are backed with nuclear weapons.

His candidacy was caused by overflow errors, I'll grant you that.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Mahoning posted:

Oh god, do Portman now.

Your wish, command etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEqx-Ccr9UY

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Night10194 posted:

Trump is not going to take the Olympics taking some of the attention off him very well at all, I suspect.

"He shoulda won gold. America needs to stop losing. I'm telling you once I'm president were gonna win all of the gold medals. Our Olympic team will win so much we'll get bored of the olympics. I'm that that athlete got sick if he had won he wouldn't have."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Tracking polls test the same sample over and over. For example, the LA Times tracking poll that gets so much attention because it consistently shows Trump with big leads, has a full sample of 3000 LVs and they call 400 of them randomly each day.

:lol: the LATimes hosed up and got a sample of 3000 money laundering "almond farmers" in Tulare and every day they get nothing but TRUMPCLICK

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is... Is Politico making a KC Green reference?

Trump campaign spins a brutal week: This is fine

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I love how after the video ends there's links to eight identical spots for swing state Republican senators. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: the LATimes hosed up and got a sample of 3000 money laundering "almond farmers" in Tulare and every day they get nothing but TRUMPCLICK

Actually he's behind in that poll now too lol

:fork:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Actually he's behind in that poll now too lol

:fork:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is... Is Politico making a KC Green reference?

Trump campaign spins a brutal week: This is fine

The this is fine dog has been mainstream for a while, dude. Even though he's had an awakening.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
My only concern now is Hillary maintaining her support and momentum over the next three months. Trump has basically hit the rock bottom of his support at this point, and there's no sign he'll be digging his way out unless fate intervenes.

Realistically, the only way this election becomes truly competitive is if something happens to chase voters away from Clinton, like some sort of "Dukakis Tank Ride" moment or something disastrous along those lines.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

zoux posted:

Ever aggregator/modeler I've seen comment on that LA Times poll says it has a +5 T baked in advantage. I'm not sure what the stat's expert opinion on tracking polls in general is.

It's fine. Basically you're taking one gigantic risk of coverage/sampling error at the start, rather than a bunch of independent polls that have their own independent risk of coverage/sampling error.

You could actually argue it's a good way of doing something like this, because in addition to it being cheaper, you will have a fairly consistent bias. If it turns out you accidentally sampled +5 R vs. the true population, that's fine. It just means anyone looking at your poll knows to reduce accordingly. I'd much rather have a pollster with a consistent +5 R bias than one who oscilliated between -2 and +2, even if the absolute error is larger in the former case.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

haveblue posted:

The this is fine dog has been mainstream for a while, dude. Even though he's had an awakening.

This comic seems to be what's happening with the electorate at the moment, I hope.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think there's a number of arguments for 'what's wrong with the LA Times poll'.

1. Poor sample selection is possible, but I don't think is very likely. There's established ways of doing this stuff.

2. The way they ask the question is weird. They apparently ask as 'give a percentage of how likely you are to vote for X', which they naively sum up. Other sampling methodology just ask people who they would vote for, then a question about how likely they are to vote, or then use demographic data etc to potentially calculate a likelihood of voting. Their method might give differential precedence to people with low levels of education that overestimate their confidence.

3. The way they reweight the polls is bad. They take the numbers of people who say they voted for Obama or Romney, and match it to the 2012 figures. Those of us around in 2012 will remember this methodology as unskewing the polls. But this is nonsense - we know that false recall is a big issue. People say that they voted for the incumbent, when actually they didn't, or even didn't vote. It's much more sensible to use objective demographic data to weight than recalled vote.

4. There might be an instrinsic problem with re-asking the same people. The issue I see here is that asking people raises their level of political engagement, and also imposes a cognitive load - people don't like to admit they were wrong, after all. Gallup's 2012 tracking poll also swung to Romney.

Anyway, I think there's a lot of reasons to think the LA/USC poll is junk. So if republicans carry on believing in it, AWESOME.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 4, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I think it's been linked ITT before but now you can own your very own "this is fine" dog

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

UV_Catastrophe posted:

My only concern now is Hillary maintaining her support and momentum over the next three months. Trump has basically hit the rock bottom of his support at this point, and there's no sign he'll be digging his way out unless fate intervenes.

Realistically, the only way this election becomes truly competitive is if something happens to chase voters away from Clinton, like some sort of "Dukakis Tank Ride" moment or something disastrous along those lines.

Dukakis was already behind when the tank thing happened. A lot of these things burn themselves into the imagination and become markers and inflection points, but it's a very hard sell that he would have come back and somehow beat Bush in the polls without the tank ride, of course, it probably didn't help. But looking back at the election, it's easy to point at a certain iconic moment (like, say, a Gold Star father pulling out the Constitution) and say "Yes, that was what sunk him." Even with Trump, the it wasn't even Khan, it wasn't even his response to the Khans - it was the result of a problem built into his very character, if he loses.

Similarly, while the swiftboating Kerry took was outrageous and didn't help, it didn't determine the entire election.

When I'm saying a fundamental change needs to happen in the race, it needs to be something significant that hits in terms of character or electability and most of all it needs to fit the perception lingering about that candidate in the first place. That's why some kind of corruption-related thing or a cover-up has the most potency.

In other words, I think Clinton can make a gaffe or two or even lose a debate without it deciding the election.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/761213398386352128

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I still think he can get down to 37%... He's at 40% now.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Does Hillary have momentum? Her polls gut a bump after the convention, but they seem to be going down again.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Reason posted:

Does Hillary have momentum? Her polls gut a bump after the convention, but they seem to be going down again.

According to whom?

emdash posted:

Today's polls so far. :eyepop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reason posted:

Link one.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Antti posted:

Going after family members is best left to the media. Using it in a campaign ad is going to backfire immediately, besides, the Clinton campaign does not want to open up the Bill can of worms on this by firing the first shot. The Dems were very quiet during the plagiarism thing and smartly so.

What? I never mentioned her campaign. It's just what's circulating among a few sites right now. Her campaign doesn't need to do a thing at the moment.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Probably since Rush Limbaugh came on-air. You can find a pretty clear divide between the pre-Limbaugh and post-Limbaugh American right. Obviously the attitudes were there, but Limbaugh gave them a voice they hadn't had before.

Do you think people might moderate after he dies? He's old, and there's no real replacement anywhere near as good as him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Trump has basically hit the rock bottom of his support at this point

Nope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reason posted:

You know you probably shouldn't wander in to make up lies about polling numbers. If there is one thing the thread is on top of it is that.

greatn posted:

Do you think people might moderate after he dies? He's old, and there's no real replacement anywhere near as good as him.

No, we're in the internet age. Limbaugh has been replaced by echo chambers on the internet that serve the same purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There was article I saw that read "Hillary's post-DNC bump might actually stick around. Here's why." on my Google news feed. I dismissed it outright, but maybe there's some truth to it now.

• Locked thread