Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
Hemsworth posted a sneak peek of his Thor 3 stuntwork.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIl4BMRDXY5/?r=21119767

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

yeah edgar wright is way cool

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Electromax posted:

It looks like 3 Hot Toys posed in a terrarium.

Lmfao

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

yeah edgar wright is way cool

much unlike your posting

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Or it can humanize an alien having alien problems:

Fuckman posted:

this looks like forgettable generic poo poo and it's laughable that one would even invoke it. Imo

Yeah that film was a dour adaptation of an obscure scifi novel with an ambiguous ending and apparently lots of studio interference (the director actually brought out his own cut sometime later) and it bombed at the box office so it can't have been very good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ferrinus posted:

It's not even that. In fact, Batman acknowledges - as he winds up to murder Superman - that he's sure Superman had a mommy and daddy just like Batman did, and that mommy and daddy told Superman that Superman'd be special, etc, but tough poo poo it's time to die.

What snaps Batman out of it is the accusation that BATMAN'S letting people kill BATMAN'S OWN mom - which he is, figuratively speaking.
I'm very sure Batman is imagining what Superman's Kryptonian parents are like, not Clark's human parents.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

The most CineD post of all time
I thought hyperbole is pretty much the official language of this thread, correct me if I'm wrong.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah that film was a dour adaptation of an obscure scifi novel with an ambiguous ending and apparently lots of studio interference (the director actually brought out his own cut sometime later) and it bombed at the box office so it can't have been very good.

Good point.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i used to think comic book movies were fun, but after reading this thread...i just don't know anymore

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It really did bomb at the box office, audiences are idiots. :smith:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Zelder posted:

i used to think comic book movies were fun, but after reading this thread...i just don't know anymore

Don't let others affect your enjoyment of movies if you genuinely like them! The people in this thread are just overly analytical, super serious and incredibly goony - I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i'm actually a rogue learning ai so i can only base my enjoyment of things on what others say, unfortunately.

i will cop to this: avengers is not a very good film. neither is avengers 2. joss whedon should be forced into the desert for 5 years, it's the only way he'll learn.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Zelder posted:

i will cop to this: avengers is not a very good film. neither is avengers 2. joss whedon should be forced into the desert for 5 years, it's the only way he'll learn.

I agree. Both of The Avengers movies are some of the worst movies to come out of the MCU so far, to be honest. The first one is shot like a TV movie, while the second one is just a mess. I'm very glad Joss Whedon doesn't have much, if any, influence over the films now, that's for sure.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

What if BvS was...FUN?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

What if BvS was...FUN?
Batman was fun! He drank too much, had casual sex, and killed a bunch of people with big guns. Why isn't he as fun as Iron Man?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Halloween Jack posted:

Batman was fun! He drank too much, had casual sex, and killed a bunch of people with big guns. Why isn't he as fun as Iron Man?

Batman had a live butler making dry quips over his ear piece, Iron Man had an AI butler making dry quips over his ear piece. Totally different thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Liking things is better than hating them. I wish I could like everything, but I can't. :smith:

On the other hand, if it hadn't bombed we wouldn't have gotten Neuromancer and Cyberpunk. And it eventually became a beloved classic, redeemed in the eyes of the people, and during the life of the director too!

poo poo, is Vangelis still alive? *googles* Yes, he is. He's making music for Space Programs now, that's loving awesome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Don't let others affect your enjoyment of movies if you genuinely like them! The people in this thread are just overly analytical, super serious and incredibly goony - I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Should have just said this, because it's how most of CineD feels as well.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

MacheteZombie posted:

Should have just said this, because it's how most of CineD feels as well.

Shh, let him have his strawman.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Dunno about overly analytical but I think saying a handful of people on this forum are super serious and/or incredibly goony is not a huge stretch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Electromax posted:

Dunno about overly analytical but I think saying a handful of people on this forum are super serious and/or incredibly goony is not a huge stretch.

It's not exclusive to CineD. Unless by forum you meant SA.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

It's kind of amazing how much better the concept art looks aesthetically compared to what we actually got in both of the Avengers movies. Below are a few concepts from Age of Ultron:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That Thor art is sick.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm very sure Batman is imagining what Superman's Kryptonian parents are like, not Clark's human parents.

Well, all Batman's other victims have human parents. Joe Chill (that's his usual name, right?) had human parents. Problem is, they all either killed Martha or allowed 'them' to kill Martha.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zelder posted:

i'm actually a rogue learning ai so i can only base my enjoyment of things on what others say, unfortunately.

The words "Comic movies are fun guys" repeated for a hundred pages.

BvS! Didn't like it. Action felt stiff, like Man of Steel.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This is from a couple pages back.

The MSJ posted:

Was his Tom Clancy movie better?

It was utterly forgettable. I saw it in theaters and I actually had to look up the title right now (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit). I didn't even remember that Brannagh starred in it too. And for some reason I keep confusing what little I remember of it with RED 2 on top of that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The words "Comic movies are fun guys" repeated for a hundred pages.

BvS! Didn't like it. Action felt stiff, like Man of Steel.

Ok, I gotta know how it felt "stiff". Do you mean it felt "staged" as in, there's kind of a flurry of action and then people end up posed for a moment?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Wasn't the original cut of Blade Runner not very good, though? I haven't seen it, that's just what I've heard.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Wasn't the original cut of Blade Runner not very good, though? I haven't seen it, that's just what I've heard.

It's really good, actually. There's just ham-handed narration over some of it and an overly pat happy ending. But all the good stuff is there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The original cut got trashed by studio execs with a long list of complaints. They recut it based on the requests and the theatrical cut, that is considered the worst cut, was born.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's really good, actually. There's just ham-handed narration over some of it and an overly pat happy ending. But all the good stuff is there.

Yea everything that's great about Blade Runner is still there in the theatrical version, its just that the Final Cut takes out some things that were preventing it from reaching perfection. The Final Cut is, in my opinion, a perfect film.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Then yeah, audiences are dumb.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Then yeah, audiences are dumb.

No, it's just that popularity isn't an indication of anything other than effective marketing and accessibility.

Edit: Slice of life that I forgot to mention - last night I was over at my dad's place doing the grandkids thing and he was scrolling through the movies available to rent/buy digitally and crossed Civil War. "BTW, I saw that. I didn't like it at all." And I was like "What?!??!" because, of course, that's a broadly popular film. According to my 70 year old dad, Civil War is a bad film because "heroes (other than Black Panther, who 'had good reasons because his dad died') should never fight each other". Obviously I'm steering him well-clear of BvS!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 4, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ok, I gotta know how it felt "stiff". Do you mean it felt "staged" as in, there's kind of a flurry of action and then people end up posed for a moment?

preface: Jargons not my strong point. neither is getting the right words.
But imo it lacks impact, Armored bats vs depowered supes looked like just two regular guys bar brawling, it didnt communicate how strong either were, and I dont mean in the nerdy 'supes can lift exactly x kilos' sense. There wasnt a consistent sense of mass or momentum. On the human vs human side the future dream sequence felt so obviously staged and pre-baked it looked like a routine from a musical. In fact yeah I was half expecting batman to hit the high note when he grabbed the lady on the floor's arm.
And yeah now that youve mentioned it I went back and looked at some of the scenes and they totally do always arrive to a certain pose in a really un-flowing way.

Also I dont like the Gal Gadot casting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

preface: Jargons not my strong point. neither is getting the right words.
But imo it lacks impact, Armored bats vs depowered supes looked like just two regular guys bar brawling, it didnt communicate how strong either were, and I dont mean in the nerdy 'supes can lift exactly x kilos' sense. There wasnt a consistent sense of mass or momentum. On the human vs human side the future dream sequence felt so obviously staged and pre-baked it looked like a routine from a musical. In fact yeah I was half expecting batman to hit the high note when he grabbed the lady on the floor's arm.

Ok, I completely understand what you are saying, but you also said Man of Steel was the same way and it's staged a little different - people go flying and fight at super-speed. There's a lot more mass an impact outside of the brief flying sequence at the end...I really felt the sense of impact was communicated much better in Man of Steel.

I also agree with you that the Knightmare one-take sequence was pretty stagey and choreographed. Not that I mind that, but it certainly doesn't look like something more naturally impactful like from The Raid.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

But imo it lacks impact, Armored bats vs depowered supes looked like just two regular guys bar brawling, it didnt communicate how strong either were, and I dont mean in the nerdy 'supes can lift exactly x kilos' sense. There wasnt a consistent sense of mass or momentum.

I think there's two things going on here. There are bits in the title fight that are just straight-up brawling:

http://i.imgur.com/i2RQBkL.gifv
The idea here is that Superman has been reduced to Batman's level, and he's terrible at it. But this is relatively little of the fight.

More of it is stuff like this:

http://i.imgur.com/xZxktEv.gifv
Where we see how things change as the effect of the Kryptonite waxes and wanes. That's how you end up with an inconsistent sense of mass and momentum:

http://i.imgur.com/Q9GpxkV.gifv
As Superman's strength returns, he's able to start bending the rules. It's inconsistent because what he has available to him is changing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I mostly like that it is an extended homage to Blade Runner.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My favorite part is how Batman flies through the air like a beach ball in the last one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mostly like that it is an extended homage to Blade Runner.

I didn't make this connection. Can you expand on this a bit? (I love picking your brain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I didn't make this connection. Can you expand on this a bit? (I love picking your brain)

Superman is Deckard and Batman is Roy Batty. To expand beyond the superficial of a fight between wildly unmatched opponents in an abandoned hotel/apartment building, the more vulnerable of the two abandons his lust for killing when he reveals he's deluded by fear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 4, 2016

• Locked thread