Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Endorph posted:

rean actually grows as a character and also demonstrates traits that explain why he is the protagonist and the leader. he's got a good head on his shoulders, is diplomatic, knows how to work with the people around him, etc.

estelle's growth is kind of just off-screen inbetween games and everyone just acts like she's a complete incompetent moron until she doesn't, and she kind of just beats stuff over the head with a stick until she's the defacto protagonist.

estelle's a really fun character mind but a lot of the writing around her is weird and it detracts from her role as the main character of the sky games, and more than that a lot of her involvement in the main plot is like a step removed from the actual plot? like she cares about a thing because it affected joshua, or an antagonist cares about her because she's related to cassius, or whatever. it never feels like she's the star of her own show. rean has several plot beats, characteristics, and relationships that tie him directly to the main thread of the story.

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Endorph posted:

rean actually grows as a character and also demonstrates traits that explain why he is the protagonist and the leader. he's got a good head on his shoulders, is diplomatic, knows how to work with the people around him, etc.

estelle's growth is kind of just off-screen inbetween games and everyone just acts like she's a complete incompetent moron until she doesn't, and she kind of just beats stuff over the head with a stick until she's the defacto protagonist.

estelle's a really fun character mind but a lot of the writing around her is weird and it detracts from her role as the main character of the sky games, and more than that a lot of her involvement in the main plot is like a step removed from the actual plot? like she cares about a thing because it affected joshua, or an antagonist cares about her because she's related to cassius, or whatever. it never feels like she's the star of her own show. rean has several plot beats, characteristics, and relationships that tie him directly to the main thread of the story.

Rean is generic good hearted everyone likes him leader of the pack mysterious past protagonist. And he looks stupid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

call me hosed, but i think rean and estelle are both good protagonists in different ways for their respective stories
i agree, i just like rean more and think estelle's writing has some problems

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Dude is sitting here talkin about Estelle sucks because shes in everyone's shadow until she isn't when thats literally her character arc, is stepping out of her father and her brother's shadows and making a name for herself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

Rean is generic good hearted everyone likes him leader of the pack mysterious past protagonist. And he looks stupid

i would kiss rean

Zaggitz posted:

Dude is sitting here talkin about Estelle sucks because shes in everyone's shadow until she isn't when thats literally her character arc, is stepping out of her father and her brother's shadows and making a name for herself.
show me where in that post i said estelle sucked

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

realistically i can see that lots of estelle's involvement in the main plot is because people she cares about are tied into it, and not because she's involved personally, but that's kind of the point? she wants to become like her mother, who protected her when she needed it. which also ties into how she is the main character thematically, since lots of the cast and villains are defined by becoming self-destructive in the face of personal tragedy, while she's using her personal tragedy as a source of strength.

also what zaggitz said.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zaggitz posted:

Oh I forgot, I gave a pass on the Estelle/Joshua thing because Joshua felt more like a foreign exchange student than a brother but this Rean/Elise thing is no good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

Oh I forgot, I gave a pass on the Estelle/Joshua thing because Joshua felt more like a foreign exchange student than a brother but this Rean/Elise thing is no good
yeah but the difference is nobody takes elise seriously while estelle/joshua is the important romantic thread

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Overbite posted:

Unless something changes in CSII, nothing really comes of it, thankfully.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't like the OVA but that GIF is highly entertaining and exploitable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

i don't like the OVA but that GIF is highly entertaining and exploitable

yeah, the ova is garbo but that gif is hilarious

also i haven't played cold steel yet, i love estelle she's probably one of my favorite jrpg protags but lol at everybody freaking out because endorph said she likes rean more. saying "i think this character is better written and developed in the story" is different from slur saying "i'm angry because they didn't say that joshua was the strongest and they said he did a dumb thing"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

yeah, the ova is garbo but that gif is hilarious

it also has a killer soundtrack

it's version of sophisticated fight would be the best if it weren't literally only 20 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFGu4-InoNk

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

it also has a killer soundtrack

it's version of sophisticated fight would be the best if it weren't literally only 20 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFGu4-InoNk

it's got one of my favorite arrangements of gin no ishi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJNnK2HL4vs

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The OVA is a great example of actually bad Estelle writing because holy crap does it ruin a shitload of great SC Estelle moments by making Joshua appear in scenes he wasn't even in during the game to steal the spotlight.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i stopped watching the ova a few minutes after joshua suddenly came swinging in from nowhere to save the day

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Well this just got all sorts of awkward....

Considering Rean's story came out like a decade ish after Estelle's I wouldn't be surprised. I'd say Rean and Lloyd have more similarities than Estelle.
It'd be nice if the protagonist of the next arc would be a female again, but I still like Rean and Lloyd, but it's hard to objectively evaluate them (implying objectivity is possible lol)

Estelle's story was generally more down to earth, more about personal things of sorts (Rean and Lloyd try as well, but their circumstances are a fair bit different if I must say so myself), and Estelle herself is more like....she's more of a normal person, as compared to Rean and his shenanigans going on. Lloyd is comparatively normal as well, but there have been a fair number of people pointing out some of his "Sue" traits, debatably. Estelle's "Sue" traits are less prominent due to her role in the story (shared spotlight with Joshua in FC, etc. I could go on but yeah)

It's also partly because of the whole "Bonding Events" shenanigans, less so for Lloyd, but that's uh...another matter. (By which I mean the girls all like Rean/Lloyd)
The irony is that, when it comes down to it, the interaction between the party members is still fairly similar. I think, anyway.

All in all it's really hard to think about things, but what can be said....
Partly speaking, the cast does kind of get younger from Liberl>Crossbell>Erebonia, so it does feel a bit more, "unbelievable", of sorts. But it's really tricky and complicated.

------

For the story and gameplay...well story first.
Cold Steel's school system is generally a hit or miss, but in general I'd say it's not really a bad thing.
Thing is, compared to Sky FC and Zero, CS has more chapters, so it does take a long time to build things up. Also, the nature of the games is that they tend to "WHAM' near the end-ish of the story, so the earlier parts are less plot critical.
Sky FC was quite linearized as well (and SC as well generally), so actually compared to CS the railroading isn't that bad now is it? Eh.

Gameplay wise, I'm not sure what to say. It is true that CS is very easy, even on Nightmare though (game should really let you change difficulty mid game really)

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 4, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've only played about half of he first trails in the sky game but it's weird how Estelle has been completely competent at everything she does for what seems to be years at this point but every time she completes a task everyone laughs and says "thanks you dumbass!" or some equivalent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's probably just the translation but I really hate how Rean starts his replies to so many people with "Haha" or some sort of laughing-equivalent. It's one of those things that once I noticed it I couldn't unsee it when it pops up in pretty much every conversation Rean is involved in.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Estelle is a teenager trying to find herself and her place in the world. She lacks real confidence but makes up for it with bluster. Rean is calm and composed and confident in his abilities which is why he makes a good leader. He's basically the commander of a paramilitary unit. I don't think either is necessarily written better than the other, although I do think the format of Cold Steel lends itself to character development better than Sky. Personally I like Estelle more but it's not really controversial to feel that Rean is a more realized character.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Regarding Rean and his "verbal" uh...whatever it's called.

This kind of thing happens more than you'd expect in media in general.

As for why, I honestly have no clue since I didn't notice it at the very least...though sometimes these things just happen.

As for me, I find it hard to really say as well. Unlike some other games (debatable but oh well), I'd say that Estelle is in a rather weird situation. She's competent, yet not really so. On the overall side of things, she is a prodigy of sorts (then again you could argue plenty of characters are as well). It's mostly true that the plot does kind of shove it into your face that Estelle is flawed and all that, too much I would say.

I myself can't memorize the plot word for word, so it's hard to evaluate her decision making and actions for that regard.
The main thing I find is that things are mostly ("mostly") suppressed because of the "hypercompetency" of all the characters in general.
(E.G. Joshua in FC)

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 4, 2016

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

In Training posted:

I've only played about half of he first trails in the sky game but it's weird how Estelle has been completely competent at everything she does for what seems to be years at this point but every time she completes a task everyone laughs and says "thanks you dumbass!" or some equivalent.

Estelle initially comes across as a bit airheaded, especially in the early prologue where her attention is prone to lapsing at a moment's noti...Stregas!!! (like during the part where they earn their junior bracer badge) And Joshua is pretty fond of occasionally letting nuggets of info slip about Estelle doing stupid stuff, like nearly burning down the house with her cooking or accidentally glueing her hand to her face. And then there's her tendency to doze off during Sunday School all the time. These things have earned Estelle a reputation in Rolent as being a bit of a doofus, although a universally loved one. The contrast is kinda enlarged because Joshua, a well-spoken and intellectual bookworm, is around her all the time. Canonically, the reason Estelle doesn't screw up too often is because Joshua's usually there to think things through and stop her if she's about to run head-long into something she shouldn't. (like the little boxes in Rolent's sewer at the start of the prologue)

It's not so much the fact that Estelle's dumb, but she does have the tendency to act first and think things through later. (again a contrast with Joshua who hard barely ever does anything on impulse and who is prone to overthinking things) And Estelle starts out VERY sheltered and naïve which (incoming FC prologue spoiler) initially allows Josette to play her like a fiddle. So Estelle's not dumb, but compared to Cassius, Scherazard and Joshua she has very little life experience and it initially shows.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
The worst part about Estelle in FC is how much of it she spends being inordinately bad at pattern recognition.

"You know my dad?!" :downs:

Yes, Estelle. Everybody knows your dad. This is the seventeenth time you have had this exact conversation for gently caress's sake, you are long past the point where you should be surprised by it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wonderslug posted:

The worst part about Estelle in FC is how much of it she spends being inordinately bad at pattern recognition.

"You know my dad?!" :downs:

Yes, Estelle. Everybody knows your dad. This is the seventeenth time you have had this exact conversation for gently caress's sake, you are long past the point where you should be surprised by it.

That's not something I had a problem with. Like, she knew her dad was important but part of her wonder is realizing how far that really goes. Like, yeah, some people know my dad but it turns out everyone actually knows him.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
The first five or six times, sure, but when every geopolitically connected person you meet at every stop along your Bracer road trip knows your dad, it's time to extrapolate a little. It feels less like wonder and more like denial to me, and you could certainly spin it that way in light of SC's opening, but if that was the intent I don't think it was well conveyed.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wonderslug posted:

The first five or six times, sure, but when every geopolitically connected person you meet at every stop along your Bracer road trip knows your dad, it's time to extrapolate a little. It feels less like wonder and more like denial to me, and you could certainly spin it that way in light of SC's opening, but if that was the intent I don't think it was well conveyed.

I just got the sense it was more "Jesus Christ, you too?"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wonderslug posted:

It feels less like wonder and more like denial to me, and you could certainly spin it that way in light of SC's opening, but if that was the intent I don't think it was well conveyed.

Well, there is a bit of a perception gap between "beloved national hero" and "goofball dad"....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wonderslug posted:

Isn't there an exchange where she outright goes 'Is there anyone who doesn't know my dad?'

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You guys have to remember that while Estelle knew her dad was a Bracer and a former military officer, her perception of him (probably encouraged by him) was that he was just her dad.

She says right from the getgo "I don't get why Schera has so much respect for him" and then when she leaves the confines of Rolent, suddenly everyone is mentioning her dad and she's totally baffled because why the hell is her dad so famous?!

By the end of FC, she starts to piece it together because people start explaining that her dad is actually an international badass.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Isn't there an exchange where she outright goes 'Is there anyone who doesn't know my dad?'

quote:

*sigh* I swear... It's hardly worth even getting upset about anymore. Royal Army soldier, 'hidden' hero, master swordsman, S-rank bracer... If he's really so damned awesome, then it sure would be nice if he'd come back and take care of THIS case

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
There's one thing missing from that list of Cassius' achievements, [massive spoiler for Trails SC] personal friend and former sparring partner of the ancient dragon of Liberl

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit that I kind of don't like Cassius much. He's a lot too much tell, not enough show. Having everyone talk about how SUPER-AWESOME a character is burns me out especially if they only show up to do something 'awesome' at the very end to devalue the people I'm actually playing as.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I'm not saying she doesn't get there, I'm just saying it takes more iterations than feels necessary from either a writing or a character development perspective.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

When did Cassius actually do anything on-screen besides beating up the final boss of FC? I think he did other stuff but I really don't remember any.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit that I kind of don't like Cassius much. He's a lot too much tell, not enough show. Having everyone talk about how SUPER-AWESOME a character is burns me out especially if they only show up to do something 'awesome' at the very end to devalue the people I'm actually playing as.

its something i was happy to see demistified in Cold Steel. In Liberl Cassius is an unmatched unparraleled god because hes a national hero and The Divine Blade. In Erebonia he's a respected military mind but is revealed to simply be one of several Divine Blades, which is just a title handled to anyone who masters the eight leaves style and Victor Arseid straight up talks about how he and Cassius have never bested eachother in battle, only ever drawed.

It's remarkably true to life in how nationalism tends to pervert whatever side of the story you historically fall on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ImpAtom posted:

But he's supposed to be tell and not show, because Trails in the Sky is Estelle's story, not his. He had his story. He had dozens of stories and TitS is not one of them.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Amppelix posted:

When did Cassius actually do anything on-screen besides beating up the final boss of FC? I think he did other stuff but I really don't remember any.

I guess he stepped in to help out Joshua and Estelle when rescuing Pat and Luke (might have those names wrong...) right at the beginning of FC, and if you really want to stretch the definition of 'on-screen' then I suppose he technically was the one who sent Zane to help out. Pretty much everything else sans the final boss bit was indirect - Morgan/Richard/everyone talking about him, receiving that package that was meant for him, etc.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Amppelix posted:

There's a scene in 3rd covering what he did during FC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

But he's supposed to be tell and not show, because Trails in the Sky is Estelle's story, not his. He had his story. He had dozens of stories and TitS is not one of them.

That doesn't really matter when every other person in the plot goes "Wow, you're Estelle huh, your dad is so awesome!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaggitz posted:

its something i was happy to see demistified in Cold Steel. In Liberl Cassius is an unmatched unparraleled god because hes a national hero and The Divine Blade. In Erebonia he's a respected military mind but is revealed to simply be one of several Divine Blades, which is just a title handled to anyone who masters the eight leaves style and Victor Arseid straight up talks about how he and Cassius have never bested eachother in battle, only ever drawed.

It's remarkably true to life in how nationalism tends to pervert whatever side of the story you historically fall on.

Was it Cassius? I thought it was Rean's master and Victor that dueled to a standstill.