Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

axeil posted:

Jesus christ. The Trump wing of the GOP has no morals or scruples. How can you leave someone out to dry like that?

Dunno.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JWGOP/status/761277074694733825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Found the tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

lol yeah the problem is that you're too leftist and it's definitely not your sanctimonious victim complex and piss poor reasoning skills

you're just toooooo leftist for all the shadow republicans who post here in d&d

your sources were ignored because you didn't understand them and couldn't defend them when challenged

Can you tell me what point it is that you thought I was making?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

originally i did actually try to debate and i posted sources, which were ignored, because many posters ITT don't care and just want to dogpile.

And when people started to argue with you you got immediately hyper-defensive about it. You're not being persecuted by the secret USPol Republican cabal, you just Lost An Argument. It happens to everyone!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The fact McCain ever endorsed Trump in the first place is hilarious to me

Jesus, Trump's grudge-holding ability is incredible. And people actually wanted this man to be President :psyduck:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
mccain's a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat and i'll laugh for ever if he gets primaried, but also trump was an idiot and wrong for saying disgusting poo poo about him

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

you posted exactly two sources. one of which is about currency manipulation as the main driving factor in job losses, with a bunch of numbers that don't really make sense, and another is an article from a newspaper that was focused on the somewhat inconsistent opinion among economists on TPP.

don't act like you posted a bunch of sources to support your claims.

At least I posted some. More than you have done.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

I mean... have you just ignored all the reports of Trump leaving contractors holding the bag over the years on his properties?

Trump doing that is par for the course. But Pence?

drat. I wonder what its like watching you set your own political career on fire to please a narcissistic child?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

you posted exactly two sources. one of which is about currency manipulation as the main driving factor in job losses, with a bunch of numbers that don't really make sense, and another is an article from a newspaper that was focused on the somewhat inconsistent opinion among economists on TPP.

don't act like you posted a bunch of sources to support your claims.

True leftists don't click on links, they accept the community's wisdom.

Spiritus Nox posted:

loving lol, Pence is letting Trump stick his arm straight up Pence's rear end.

It's not like he has anything to go home to anymore. Hopefully it's still warm fom Christie.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Also, McCain is only +2 from the latest poll on the 23.

The poll done a week or two before he was +9.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

Can you tell me what point it is that you thought I was making?

i actually can't, you flop all over when pressed into a reflexive posture of being unfairly picked on and as such you keep retreating from your arguments aside from a vague distrust of free trade deals as being unfairly pro-corporate and against the little guy. which is enough of a baseless talk radio argument that it's hilarious that you're saying people are mad at you for being just too darn leftist

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

I posted a very basic argument about the utility of free trade with examples and facts that you have still yet to respond to.

Get off your high horse.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/761289154177142784

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

axeil posted:

Trump doing that is par for the course. But Pence?

drat. I wonder what its like watching you set your own political career on fire to please a narcissistic child?

Probably something like this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What's this referring to?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/mar/07/bernie-s/sanders-overshoots-nafta-job-losses/

I've posted, extensively, about the effects of free trade in various iterations of this thread; including a long multi-page discussion last month where I openly disagreed with Democratic leadership and Hillary Clinton on DNC trade politics.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Probably something like this.

Shrink this down make it USPOL AUG yoda rape gif

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's this referring to?

The secret Iran video that he keeps alluding to is actually some cable news b-roll.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Noam Chomsky posted:

Still waiting for you to comment on the sources I posted.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Yinlock posted:

And when people started to argue with you you got immediately hyper-defensive about it. You're not being persecuted by the secret USPol Republican cabal, you just Lost An Argument. It happens to everyone!

Jesus, Trump's grudge-holding ability is incredible. And people actually wanted this man to be President :psyduck:

I got defensive because the typical group of posters were saying things just like the bolded, which I never said.

Also, I've posted multiple times that I was never really making a firm argument against the TPP, just that I can see why people are against it.

Like I said, certain posters are upset that someone is challenging them. It's happened before with Bernie vs. Hillary derails. A certain group of posters gets pissy and hammers on people until they go away. I'm not trying to get any sympathy; just stating the facts.

In order to lose an argument you actually have to be trying to make some kind of point. You can't really win an argument when both sides aren't arguing in good faith, either.

I still sure would like to see someone post some sources that NAFTA didn't lead to the death of American manufacturing and a loss of jobs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

zoux posted:

The secret Iran video that he keeps alluding to is actually some cable news b-roll.

Oh my loving god.

Source?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

Like I said, certain posters are upset that someone is challenging them.

this is the one correct thing you've said so far itt it's you

Noam Chomsky posted:

I still sure would like to see someone post some sources that NAFTA didn't lead to the death of American manufacturing and a loss of jobs.

bip roberts said this, you never responded to it

Bip Roberts posted:

Point to me where the 700K jobs were lost?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCYTI6Sh4kY

How can we defeat the hero of this game?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh my loving god.

Source?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...money-transfer/

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

I got defensive because the typical group of posters were saying things just like the bolded, which I never said.

Also, I've posted multiple times that I was never really making a firm argument against the TPP, just that I can see why people are against it.

Like I said, certain posters are upset that someone is challenging them. It's happened before with Bernie vs. Hillary derails. A certain group of posters gets pissy and hammers on people until they go away. I'm not trying to get any sympathy; just stating the facts.

In order to lose an argument you actually have to be trying to make some kind of point. You can't really win an argument when both sides aren't arguing in good faith, either.

I just did.

I also made a case for you, based on long trends of manufacturing and jobs, that easily refute your claim that NAFTA "lead to the death of American manufacturing."

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

borkencode posted:

This is actually amazing.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you can't possibly differentiate between jobs lost to NAFTA, jobs gained by NAFTA, jobs which were going to be lost anyway, and jobs which were going to be gained anyway

So how exactly would we go about studying/proving suggested economic effects of NAFTA, if we literally can't even use economic data?

Praxeology?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

borkencode posted:

Become ghosts?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Periodiko posted:

So how exactly would we go about studying/proving suggested economic effects of NAFTA, if we literally can't even use economic data?

Praxeology?

http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docser...7D8ECA5DC5B0A23

(disclaimer: it might be behind a paywall, i am a university machine)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh my loving god.

Source?

This is probably gonna be an amazing segment on All In tonight of its true :allears:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docser...7D8ECA5DC5B0A23

(disclaimer: it might be behind a paywall, i am a university machine)

It's not.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

All you're doing is talking about yourself constantly, please shut up

90% of this has been posting about posting

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

borkencode posted:

That's not how Pac-Man scoring works.

:sad:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Periodiko posted:

Praxeology?

i'm saying poster Noam Chomsky can't just say "this one dude said NAFTA cost 700k jobs" and stick to that argument while ignoring everything else going on in the US / Global economy that could have an impact on jobs

for example, NAFTA also created jobs. cherry picking your sources is generally frowned upon here, especially if you rely on those sources to make your argument for you

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Taerkar posted:

That's not how Pac-Man scoring works.

:sad:

whoa don't pop a gasket there Billy Mitchell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New McClatchy/Marist poll has H48 T33
:eyepop:

Thirty Three.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mel Mudkiper posted:

whoa don't pop a gasket there Billy Mitchell

I'm just bitter that I'm not good enough at Pac-Man to get 30k

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

There has to be some kind of limit in polls-only and polls-plus forecasts on FiveThirtyEight, right? Because this far out, there's still a big number of unknowns and possibilities. Like those charts on weather that shows a cone of where a hurricane could go, and a dark red cone of where it's most likely to go. Has Nate Silver ever said if there's a floor for this? Because as much as I'd bet for Clinton at this point, I admit there's still strange-rear end futures where she could lose. But it'd call for a Trump Pivot that keeps his base, Clinton loving up on unprecedented levels, and a series of horrible tragedies Trump could safely spin in his favor. I'm saying, we have to be near that floor, and we're considering the bit of the yellow cone where Hurricane Donny does a 180 degree turn and starts raining blood instead of water.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Bear in mind that economists themselves don't agree on the job impact of NAFTA, what hope have we?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TVarmy posted:

There has to be some kind of limit in polls-only and polls-plus forecasts on FiveThirtyEight, right? Because this far out, there's still a big number of unknowns and possibilities. Like those charts on weather that shows a cone of where a hurricane could go, and a dark red cone of where it's most likely to go. Has Nate Silver ever said if there's a floor for this? Because as much as I'd bet for Clinton at this point, I admit there's still strange-rear end futures where she could lose. But it'd call for a Trump Pivot that keeps his base, Clinton loving up on unprecedented levels, and a series of horrible tragedies Trump could safely spin in his favor. I'm saying, we have to be near that floor, and we're considering the bit of the yellow cone where Hurricane Donny does a 180 degree turn and starts raining blood instead of water.

They build in some things.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So claiming footage of outrageous things exist, when they clearly don't, is just like Trump's thing?

He did it with the "Muslims cheering 9/11" thing, he's doing it with this hostage payoff thing. Did he claim to see PP footage of crazy poo poo that wasn't in the release too?

Why does he keep doing this -

Never mind, keep trucking there Trump. Keep trucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TVarmy posted:

Which major black swan event that's happened this year helped Trump?

• Locked thread