Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

zoux posted:

Other bullshit Obama is not putting up with today
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/761310719640043521

"President Obama, are you going to personally order UN stormtroopers to put everyone in FEMA camps on election day?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If Trump keeps this up much longer he's going to find out that the media loves a death watch almost as much as a horse race.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

illcendiary posted:

Trump's campaign being a WCW storyline makes way too much sense. Like I'm having nWo red/white doublecross clusterfuck flashbacks when I look at the current state of the GOP.

Wasn't there a WCW angle from that era that involved literal sewage?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If we're still on TPP-chat, the thing about trade is that tariffs are the main mechanism by which jobs are protected, and the difference, tariff-wise, between TPP and no TPP is like a 1.5% tariff. We have really, really low tariff rates, even without specific free trade deals.

The question for me then becomes, what is the net gain or loss in American jobs between the preservation or removal of a 1.5% tariff, and if free trade is overall a net positive, why is Hillary against it (as a supposed sop to Sanders supports) if she doesn't need Sanders supporters to secure her win?

Wouldn't her electoral strategy be strengthened by appealing to the centrist upper-class middle whose fortunes would be bettered by the implementation of the TPP?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/761311120107900928

Obama is just no longer giving fucks

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

SquadronROE posted:

Lol at SC, MS, TX
Texas apparently has a 20% chance of going to Hillary right now lmao

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Crow Jane posted:

Also he's mad about immigrants from... Somalia, for some reason.

Possibly because a Norwegian guy of Somali ancestry went on a stabbing spree in London.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Wasn't there a WCW angle from that era that involved literal sewage?

Yup... Kevin Nash dumping sewage into Randy Savage's limo while he was inside.

It is possible that I've been re-reading "The Death of WCW" by RD Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez this week.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Personally, failing a 60-vote supermajority, I'm secretly hoping for a dead tie in the Senate, because I want to see Tim Kaine break out the gavel and make goofy dad jokes while tiebreaking the Republican moratorium on appointments into dust.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This is what happens when the media suddenly raises, "You know what the truth actually is not in the middle. One of the circles in this Venn diagram didn't even intersect with the truth at all"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

If Trump keeps this up much longer he's going to find out that the media loves a death watch almost as much as a horse race.

:aaa:

:fap:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oxxidation posted:

This is what I was thinking months ago. It is going to be loving cathartic as a nation to watch trump disintegrate together. People will happily tune in to watch a 3 month Cheeto roast. He truly will make America great again.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i'm saying poster Noam Chomsky can't just say "this one dude said NAFTA cost 700k jobs" and stick to that argument while ignoring everything else going on in the US / Global economy that could have an impact on jobs

for example, NAFTA also created jobs. cherry picking your sources is generally frowned upon here, especially if you rely on those sources to make your argument for you

Is it? I'm not really equipped to dissect the validity of that paper (and if we're being honest, most people here probably aren't either), but it's from a decent, mainstream organization (not "one dude"), and it doesn't do what you're off-handedly claiming it does? "U.S. trade deficits with Mexico as of 2010 displaced production that could have supported 682,900 U.S. jobs; given the pre-NAFTA trade surplus, all of those jobs have been lost or displaced since NAFTA. This estimate of 682,900 net jobs displaced takes into account the additional jobs created by exports to Mexico."

It's obviously just an estimate based on one methodology, but the degree to which people are just dismissing it out of hand is a little bizarre. I don't think people are "libertarians" for doing so, but there's a weird acceptance of a lot of ideological assumptions about free trade - these are contentious issues.

Also, more importantly to me, people are dancing around or dismissing the issue that even if NAFTA had a net effect of employing people in other sectors of the economy, that still some local economies high and dry, and maybe as a democracy people should have a say whether their region gets turned into a wasteland for the greater good of the economy. There's a deeper issue that people should have a right to dictate the terms of their life, even if that way is "inefficient" by a particular metric, because preserving some continuity in cultures and or in the local economy is actually a measurable positive public good. Having an entire region turn into a opiate-blighted, welfare-sustained region full of now-empty factories for the benefits of other groups of people might also be bad for the country. Both NAFTA and TPP have major issues in that they have been intentionally kept out of the public eye, and it's pretty clear that one of the major reasons is because in both cases, they're pretty unpopular with the public. In a democracy, that's a big deal. You're talking about potential major changes in the economy, positive or negative, with winners and losers, that is receiving shockingly little public input. In TPP, we're talking about a policy that is officially supported by neither the Republican nor the Democratic candidate president, largely on the grounds that they are really unpopular with working class people. Maybe that deserves some deference? If TPP does pass in a lame-duck session, isn't that a little disturbing? Isn't that the sort of thing that has created such a massive level of dissatisfaction with Congress and with our government institutions, that everyone here likes to cite?

I'd also like to point out that, some are acting like the Democrats also want to sustain a social safety net, that free trade + social safety net makes this okay, but Bill Clinton was very notable for "reforming" welfare, and being a campaigner against what he felt were excessive welfare that kept people in a cycle of dependency. He still believes this incidentally, this is not an extrapolation or a slur, that's the literal justification he used when he was challenged about it during the primary by left-wingers. As far as I can tell, Hillary Clinton held, and holds the same view (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2016/04/18/3770333/hillary-clinton-welfare-reform/). So voting for Democrats is not a vote for a coherent vision of a modernizing economy supplemented by welfare, you still need to pressure and fight for that. It is perfectly reasonable to see the Democrats as wanting "free trade" agreements as well as slashing welfare, because that's literally what they did the last time. This almost seems like wishful thinking - if (D)'s take the senate and the presidency, well then we'll reinstitute generous social welfare programs and this will offset any temporary economic instability caused by free trade. Is there any reason to believe that Democrats as a party are in a position to craft a New New Deal?

Sorry for the long post, this just kept expanding as I wrote.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 4, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

This is what happens when the media suddenly raises, "You know what the truth actually is not in the middle. One of the circles in this Venn diagram didn't even intersect with the truth at all"

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/761313002419286016

Not even a "critics claim video doesn't exist" whats up with all this BIAS

Posting this knowing fully well yall are going to take the wrong lesson from this and freak out about it.

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/761313158350802944

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Also he's mad about immigrants from... Somalia, for some reason.
I wonder if Trump knows that Somalians are a gigantic population in one of the fake battlegrounds that he made up and contribute immensely to society in Minnesota

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oxxidation posted:

This is my kokero wish, that we all join hands together around the Trumpster fire and laugh as he burns.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Not surprising, it's been headed that way for weeks.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a stronger move into Arizona and Missouri on the thought that even if they don't take the state they may be able to help Kander and Kirkpatrick.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Please let one of them be Utah :pray:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://chomsky.info/secrets03/

quote:

Q: Anthony Lewis also wrote, "The engine for [the world’s] growth has been…vastly increased…international trade." Do you agree?

A: His use of the word "trade," while conventional, is misleading. The latest figures available (from about ten years ago-they’re probably higher now) show that about 30% or 40% of what’s called "world trade" is actually internal transfers within a corporation. I believe that about 70% of Japanese exports to the US are intrafirm transfers of this sort.

So, for example, Ford Motor Company will have components manufactured here in the US and then ship them for assembly to a plant in Mexico where the workers get much lower wages and where Ford doesn’t have to worry about pollution, unions and all that nonsense. Then they ship the assembled part back here.

About half of what are called US exports to Mexico are intrafirm transfers of this sort. They don’t enter the Mexican market, and there’s no meaningful sense in which they’re exports to Mexico. Still, that’s called "trade."

The corporations that do this are huge totalitarian institutions, and they aren’t governed by market principles-in fact, they promote severe market distortions. For example, a US corporation that has an outlet in Puerto Rico may decide to take its profits in Puerto Rico, because of tax rebates. It shifts its prices around, using what’s called "transfer pricing," so it doesn’t seem to be making a profit here.

There are estimates of the scale of governmental operations that interfere with trade, but I know of no estimates of internal corporate interferences with market processes. They’re no doubt vast in scale, and are sure to be extended by the trade agreements.

GATT and NAFTA ought to be called "investor rights agreements," not "free trade agreements." One of their main purposes is to extend the ability of corporations to carry out market-distorting operations internally.

So when people like [Clinton’s National Security Advisor] Anthony Lake talk about enlarging market democracy, he’s enlarging something, but it’s not markets and it’s not democracy.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Trump is such a disaster that my grandpa who thinks Obama is the worst president of all time is going "Well, they're both awful, I'm not really voting FOR him, but against Hillary." If the only reason you're getting the vote of a rural white guy in his 80s is "Not Hillary", you're in trouble.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Periodiko posted:

Is it? I'm not really equipped to dissect the validity of that paper (and if we're being honest, most people here probably aren't either), but it's from a decent, mainstream organization (not "one dude"), and it doesn't do what you're off-handedly claiming it does? "U.S. trade deficits with Mexico as of 2010 displaced production that could have supported 682,900 U.S. jobs; given the pre-NAFTA trade surplus, all of those jobs have been lost or displaced since NAFTA. This estimate of 682,900 net jobs displaced takes into account the additional jobs created by exports to Mexico."

It's obviously just an estimate based on one methodology, but the degree to which people are just dismissing it out of hand is a little bizarre. I don't think people are "libertarians" for doing so, but there's a weird acceptance of a lot of ideological assumptions about free trade - these are contentious issues.

Also, more importantly to me, people are dancing around or dismissing the issue that even if NAFTA had a net effect of employing people in other sectors of the economy, that still some local economies high and dry, and maybe as a democracy people should have a say whether their region gets turned into a wasteland for the greater good of the economy. There's a deeper issue that people should have a right to dictate the terms of their life, even if that way is "inefficient" by a particular metric, because preserving some continuity in cultures and or in the local economy is actually a measurable positive public good. Having an entire region turn into a opiate-blighted, welfare-sustained region full of now-empty factories for the benefits of other groups of people might also be bad for the country. Both NAFTA and TPP have major issues in that they have been intentionally kept out of the public eye, and it's pretty clear that one of the major reasons is because in both cases, they're pretty unpopular with the public. In a democracy, that's a big deal. You're talking about potential major changes in the economy, positive or negative, with winners and losers, that is receiving shockingly little public input. In TPP, we're talking about a policy that is officially supported by neither the Republican nor the Democratic candidate president, largely on the grounds that they are really unpopular with working class people. Maybe that deserves some deference? If TPP does pass in a lame-duck session, isn't that a little disturbing? Isn't that the sort of thing that has created such a massive level of dissatisfaction with Congress and with our government institutions, that everyone here likes to cite?

I'd also like to point out that, some are acting like the Democrats also want to sustain a social safety net, that free trade + social safety net makes this okay, but Bill Clinton was very notable for "reforming" welfare, and being a campaigner against what he felt were excessive welfare that kept people in a cycle of dependency. He still believes this incidentally, this is not an extrapolation or a slur, that's the literal justification he used when he was challenged about it during the primary by left-wingers. As far as I can tell, Hillary Clinton held, and holds the same view (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2016/04/18/3770333/hillary-clinton-welfare-reform/). So voting for Democrats is not a vote for a coherent vision of a modernizing economy supplemented by welfare, you still need to pressure and fight for that. It is perfectly reasonable to see the Democrats as wanting "free trade" agreements as well as slashing welfare, because that's literally what they did the last time. This almost seems like wishful thinking - if (D)'s take the senate and the presidency, well then we'll reinstitute generous social welfare programs and this will offset any temporary economic instability caused by free trade. Is there any reason to believe that Democrats as a party are in a position to craft a New New Deal?

Just want to chime in and say I agree with this and thanks for posting!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm so glad Im moving to Minneapolis tomorrow from battleground Wisconsin. Going to hopefully dodge 90% of the campaign ads.

That said, Hilldawgs campaign ad-fu is strong, especially that last with the children watching TV

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Reminder that Trump honestly considers New York and California as battleground states.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Boon posted:

I'm so glad Im moving to Minneapolis tomorrow from battleground Wisconsin. Going to hopefully dodge 90% of the campaign ads.

That said, Hilldawgs campaign ad-fu is strong, especially that last with the children watching TV

I feel like that one's gonna go down in history along with LBJ's Daisy ad.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reminder that Trump honestly considers New York and California as battleground states.

The idea that the worlds of entertainment and finance will reject him is too much for his narcissism to bear.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Periodiko posted:

There's a deeper issue that people should have a right to dictate the terms of their life, even if that way is "inefficient" by a particular metric, because preserving some continuity in cultures and or in the local economy is actually a measurable positive public good. Having an entire region turn into a opiate-blighted, welfare-sustained region full of now-empty factories for the benefits of other groups of people might also be bad for the country. Both NAFTA and TPP have major issues in that they have been intentionally kept out of the public eye, and it's pretty clear that one of the major reasons is because in both cases, they're pretty unpopular with the public. In a democracy, that's a big deal. You're talking about potential major changes in the economy, positive or negative, with winners and losers, that is receiving shockingly little public input.

the problem with this argument is the assumption that everything would be hunky-dory in the absence of NAFTA, which doesn't explain the steady decline in american manufacturing which started long before NAFTA

job loss due to automatization, globalization, and general increases in efficiency such as the paperless office will inevitably lead to job loss no matter what. picking out free trade agreements to rail against on behalf of some abstract working class is a reactionary argument that does very little to deal with the reality of the modern labor market. really it's just a trojan horse that delivers the payload of "i want to bitch about multinational corporations"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Noam Chomsky posted:

Is picking on Trump supporters considered punching down if you're an educated white liberal?
Crush them into dust

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

No Fucks Obama is best Obama

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Does "black swan" just mean "unexpected thing" in politics? If it's something more nuanced could give an example from history? I guess I am used to it coming up as an intro to philosophy/inductive reasoning concept.

edit for clarity, maybe!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

poor life choice posted:

Does "black swan" just mean "unexpected thing" in politics? If it's something more nuanced could you I get a real-world example? I guess I am used to it coming up as an intro to philosophy/inductive reasoning concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Besides the feel-good nature of crushing the opponent, especially one as crazy as Trump, is there a strategic advantage to trying to win every states as possible? If you told me that a president winning a state has a cascading impact on local / state races (i.e. Democratic president wins, and they vote straight-ticket D), I'd probably believe it, but I guess I'm looking for the evidence.

Right now Hillary has pretty much the votes needed, and is going for other states. I'm just curious if it's worth the money to spend on all of that advertisement.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Periodiko posted:

:words:

1) The problem is there is one study claiming the ~700k number while many other studies from more nonpartisan institutions claim it was far fewer.

2) Again, the point is maybe we shouldn't be encouraging entire towns to spring up around a single or small number of factories. That manual work will leave, it's a matter of when it will leave. If that town and the people therein don't create a self-sustaining ecosystem, how the hell do you save it? You can't wait for manufacturing to go tits up and then turn around and go "well poo poo, I guess I should have trained for something else. Hey government, how about some free training?" On the other side, why on earth should we try to affect the global markets in a protectionist move to discourage that company from moving? At that point you're sacrificing a larger variety of goods at cheaper prices (benefiting the many) for the sake of the short-sighted few.

3) The TPP specifically is expected to not only affect trade but in doing so, affect human rights and the treatment of workers in developing Asian/SEA countries. If we were to lose some manufacturing here (we won't - whatever low level manufacturing those countries would take was already moved from us to China/India/Bangladesh already), it is still to the benefit of those people in those nations. On a global scale this is a good thing and considering how much whining Americans do about how we should "do the right thing" and "help those suffering in other nations," I'm shocked at how you're willing to throw away a clear measure to help people across the Pacific.

4) The TPP also works as a way for us to influence China and the spheres of influence in the region without being directly aggressive. By helping the economies of those countries, they can bolster their infrastructure, military and education so they're not small fries who can be pushed around by China (in, for example, South China Sea conflicts).

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

@seiferguy it increases legitimacy and drives down-ballot voting

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

zoux posted:

Obama going off on this Iran "conspiracy"
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/761309856003399684

Also the GOP sure has a lot of balls accusing a president of secret illegal cash deals with Iran.

It kind of annoyed me to see Colbert of all people going off on this last night. Sure, he hasn't been so great since taking over the Late Show, but to see him spinning jokes based on dumb propaganda that could have been dispelled by an intern with 5 minutes on google is just disappointing. Maybe I should have expected it, since he did a whole segment and a half on HILLARY EMAIL BAD the day after Comey got grilled by congress about it and ruined all of their talking points.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Besides the feel-good nature of crushing the opponent, especially one as crazy as Trump, is there a strategic advantage to trying to win every states as possible? If you told me that a president winning a state has a cascading impact on local / state races (i.e. Democratic president wins, and they vote straight-ticket D), I'd probably believe it, but I guess I'm looking for the evidence.

Right now Hillary has pretty much the votes needed, and is going for other states. I'm just curious if it's worth the money to spend on all of that advertisement.

It could be argued that Mondale's crushing loss had a psychological effect on Democrats that caused them to undermine their own philosophy. I hope something like that happens.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/761319109690810368

this is fully post convention

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

It kind of annoyed me to see Colbert of all people going off on this last night. Sure, he hasn't been so great since taking over the Late Show, but to see him spinning jokes based on dumb propaganda that could have been dispelled by an intern with 5 minutes on google is just disappointing. Maybe I should have expected it, since he did a whole segment and a half on HILLARY EMAIL BAD the day after Comey got grilled by congress about it and ruined all of their talking points.
the left wing comedy people have been spectacularly bad and condescending this election

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Zophar posted:

This Iran video snafu seems like Trump saw a potential headline in it yesterday and is simply trying to keep (a nonstory) in the news cycle, hence claiming "I saw the video, I swears it" over and over.

Granted it's having the opposite effect and turning it from potential fodder against the Dems into yet another liability for him.

Trump obviously believes it's more important that people think he's right than actually having a coherent narrative against his opponent.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

the left wing comedy people have been spectacularly bad and condescending this election

Trump's stealing all the good jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the problem with this argument is the assumption that everything would be hunky-dory in the absence of NAFTA, which doesn't explain the steady decline in american manufacturing which started long before NAFTA

job loss due to automatization, globalization, and general increases in efficiency such as the paperless office will inevitably lead to job loss no matter what. picking out free trade agreements to rail against on behalf of some abstract working class is a reactionary argument that does very little to deal with the reality of the modern labor market

Yes, and you can make it better or worse, and critics of NAFTA accuse it of being "worse". It's a pretty straight-forward argument, and you're ducking having to make any hard choices about who wins and who loses, about how much protectionism there will be and who will be protected by just throwing up your hands and saying "well it would have happened anyway." Of course it would have, and the question is what we did about it and can do in the future. Critics of NAFTA are criticizing it on the grounds that it was a bad response that made things worse than it had to be. They're not denying the very existence of international trade. Hell, even you've indirectly criticized it in this thread by noting that programs like this need to be combined with ambitious social programs to cope with the restructuring of the economy. NAFTA wasn't. Again, Clinton negotiated NAFTA and slashed welfare. Hunky-dory it ain't.

It's weird to say I'm invoking "some abstract working class" when we're talking about two policies that were and are opposed by majorities of the public at large, whose purported effects are on specific local economies, which are major issues in their respective Presidential elections.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 4, 2016

• Locked thread