Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i don't know, sounds like you're holding it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
my anniversary update went fine :waycool:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
lmao

so I redirected the documents folder on all my computers to onedrive because hey, cloud, and it's integrated with windows

then I decided it was neat but I had more storage in google drive so I'd move the folders there

yeah it turns out you can't do that. if you point a personal folder's location to a onedrive folder, you cannot change it afterwards without horrible registry hacks that don't work quite right. it just says "access is denied" if you try to move/redirect the folder in the normal fashion like you just did.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

don't believe me? it's all in the numbers. number one: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2936105

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

atomicthumbs posted:

lmao

so I redirected the documents folder on all my computers to onedrive because hey, cloud, and it's integrated with windows

then I decided it was neat but I had more storage in google drive so I'd move the folders there

yeah it turns out you can't do that. if you point a personal folder's location to a onedrive folder, you cannot change it afterwards without horrible registry hacks that don't work quite right. it just says "access is denied" if you try to move/redirect the folder in the normal fashion like you just did.
what do you mean the registry hacks don't work quite right

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
holy poo poo office 365 owns https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2984912

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What the gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Celexi posted:

I did the win 10 anniversary update and it hosed up my computer sideways, 10 minutes after rebooting a blue screen. After it being back on i noticed the hard drive kept locking up, reinstalled nvidia drivers to no effect, then went to device manager and found something interesting.

Win 10 had replaced my chipset drivers including the sata ones for generic win ones from 2006, i managed to restore some of them but not the sata which i had to do some extensive googling to find.

this is loving worse than installing gentoo

the gently caress kind of busted-rear end chipset are you using? you have some SiS bullshit from 2004 or something?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

infernal machines posted:

the gently caress kind of busted-rear end chipset are you using? you have some SiS bullshit from 2004 or something?

No, its a recent chip.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is it made by anyone other than intel? because if so, lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's amd isn't it?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

anthonypants posted:

what do you mean the registry hacks don't work quite right

I mean it seems to work okay on one computer, another one is still trying to save various things to a missing onedrive folder and currently has seven "Documents" folders, and a third is just straight-up ignoring the registry change and still pointing Documents and everything else to OneDrive

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ahahah people still use exchange

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what would you use other than exchange/office 365? notes? lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also that network security thing means Kerberos/ntlm which obv wont work w/ office 365

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
gently caress, spoke too soon. same thing I think, I'll have to look at the logs tomorrow morning

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 5, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

ahahah some people are still dumb enough to use groupware other than exchange

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

what would you use other than exchange/office 365? notes? lol

gmail is my preferred groupware

what? they just ditched my mission critical features in an update? oh well

my browser and mail client are no longer supported? well. shucks, i guess i'll just move everyone to webmail then

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

infernal machines posted:

it's amd isn't it?

Via

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
lol via. why not just pick up some loving garbage from the bin and put in a case instead.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

nah it's funnier than that

tim sweeney is legit-convinced microsoft's master plan is to silently kill win32 support and kill steam off that way

you joke but Microsoft wants a slice of that pie so goddamn badly

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm pretty sure that if microsoft removed win32, i would definitely move to canada install linux.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
can you imagine the poo poo show that would occur if ms automatically upgraded everyone to a version of Windows that didn't run win32 apps? lol

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i gave up, that computer running windows 7 is gonna run it until it dies

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phoenixan posted:

can you imagine the poo poo show that would occur if ms automatically upgraded everyone to a version of Windows that didn't run win32 apps? lol

:stare:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

i am pretty sure the eu and most world governments would basically go "gently caress you microsoft, everyone is allowed to pirate windows 7 and 8.1 now consequence-free"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ahmeni posted:

you joke but Microsoft wants a slice of that pie so goddamn badly

yes. they want to destroy steam so badly they are willing to kill the primary driver of windows sales, backwards compatibility.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

balmer-era microsoft would

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/feds-find-clues-of-gender-bias-at-microsoft-court-filing-says/

quote:

Feds find clues of gender bias at Microsoft, court filing says
Originally published August 4, 2016 at 6:33 pm Updated August 5, 2016 at 6:29 am
The existence of the Labor Department’s “notice of violation” documents was revealed as part of a gender-discrimination lawsuit against Microsoft filed last year.
By Matt Day, Seattle Times technology reporter

U.S. Labor Department investigators told Microsoft this year they had found preliminary evidence of gender-based discrimination at the company, according to court papers filed this week in a gender-discrimination lawsuit.

In the filing in U.S. District Court in Seattle, Kelly Dermody, an attorney for three women suing Microsoft for alleged gender discrimination, said the federal agency issued “notice of violation” documents to Microsoft in May and June. The notices were related to a department “investigation of systemic gender discrimination of pay and promotions” at Microsoft, Dermody wrote.

She declined to comment beyond the court filings.

In a statement, Microsoft didn’t address the substance of the notices, but said it disagreed with their conclusions. The company is “committed to a diverse workforce, and to a workplace where all employees have the opportunity to succeed,” a spokeswoman said.

impossible! microsoft's marketing department has made it abundantly clear that microsoft ahs an internal culture that respects diver—

quote:

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella: women, don't ask for a raise
Thursday 9 October 2014 22.19 EDT Last modified on Thursday 9 October 2014 22.22 EDT
Women working in male-dominated IT industry told they should have faith that ‘the system’ will deliver appropriate pay
Staff and agencies

Satya Nadella, the Microsoft chief executive officer, has said women don’t need to ask for a raise and should instead put their trust in the system – one that at technology companies is overwhelmingly male.

Nadella spoke on Thursday at an event for women in computing held in Phoenix. He was asked to give his advice to women who are uncomfortable requesting a raise.

“It’s not really about asking for the raise, but knowing and having faith that the system will actually give you the right raises as you go along,” he answered. Not asking for raise, he added, was “good karma” that would help a boss realise the employee could be trusted and should have more responsibility.

His interviewer, Maria Klawe, the president of Harvey Mudd College and a Microsoft director, told him she disagreed, drawing cheers from the audience. She suggested women do their homework on salary information and then practice how to ask with people they trust.

oh, right

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gzj0f9SrBs

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 5, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

still waiting for the version where they loving stop supporting VB6\Fox pro

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/5/12385304/microsoft-windows-ninja-cat-story

quote:

In March last year I managed to obtain a Windows ninja cat sticker for my laptop. I had been trying to track down the sticker for a few months before that after seeing it appear on Microsoft employee's laptops at Windows events. It's a ninja cat riding a fire-breathing unicorn, all while waving a Windows flag. At the time, it was a single identifier of a cultural shift that was underway at Microsoft, and a sign that the company was cool again.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I hope they paid the original deviantartist a couple billion to license it
http://sharpwriter.deviantart.com/art/Welcome-to-the-Internet-Please-Follow-me-322248378

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Microsoft isn't advertising this limitation, but an official Xbox Support page confirms it: you can only connect one Bluetooth pad to a Windows 10 PC at a time, and those Bluetooth pads require running on Windows 10 with the Anniversary update. If you want to use more wireless Xbox One pads on a single PC, you'll need to purchase the official Xbox One wireless adapter. Otherwise, don't rush out and buy a bunch of updated Xbox One pads expecting them to sync up to any laptop for the sake of wild, on-the-go multiplayer sessions of Push Me Pull You or Towerfall: Ascension.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnnQ0JqvgN8

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Pinterest Mom posted:

Microsoft isn't advertising this limitation, but an official Xbox Support page confirms it: you can only connect one Bluetooth pad to a Windows 10 PC at a time, and those Bluetooth pads require running on Windows 10 with the Anniversary update. If you want to use more wireless Xbox One pads on a single PC, you'll need to purchase the official Xbox One wireless adapter. Otherwise, don't rush out and buy a bunch of updated Xbox One pads expecting them to sync up to any laptop for the sake of wild, on-the-go multiplayer sessions of Push Me Pull You or Towerfall: Ascension.

that's dumb as hell, but is it one adapter for multiple controllers or does each need its own adapter, bc that'd be insane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

i wonder if that was really bill gates' office (or an accurate replica thereof)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Scott Forstall posted:

that's dumb as hell, but is it one adapter for multiple controllers or does each need its own adapter, bc that'd be insane.

the adapter supports up to 8 controllers

• Locked thread