Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Popular Thug Drink posted:

job loss due to automatization, globalization, and general increases in efficiency such as the paperless office will inevitably lead to job loss no matter what. picking out free trade agreements to rail against on behalf of some abstract working class is a reactionary argument that does very little to deal with the reality of the modern labor market. really it's just a trojan horse that delivers the payload of "i want to bitch about multinational corporations"

This is dead on.

I've noticed that a few of the posters making this argument have also used the argument that the wealthy are why we can't have better safety nets or other leftist policies, when the reality is that there's a ton of opposition to welfare from the people who will benefit from it the most. I'm fairly pessimistic about the economy on a 20-30 year horizon, but a lot of my pessimism is borne from the fact that I think economically vital welfare policies will never have the level of popular support that they actually need. Unsurprisingly, a lot of this opposition comes from the same people who are being told that their jobs are going away because of trade policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Periodiko posted:

Yes, and you can make it better or worse, and critics of NAFTA accuse it of being "worse". It's a pretty straight-forward argument, and you're ducking having to make any hard choices about who wins and who loses, about how much protectionism there will be and who will be protected by just throwing up your hands and saying "well it would have happened anyway." Of course it would have, and the question is what we did about it and can do in the future. Critics of NAFTA are criticizing it on the grounds that it was a bad response that made things worse than it had to be. They're not denying the very existence of international trade. Hell, even you've indirectly criticized it in this thread by noting that programs like this need to be combined with ambitious social programs to cope with the restructuring of the economy. NAFTA wasn't. Again, Clinton negotiated NAFTA and slashed welfare. Hunky-dory it ain't.

It's weird to say I'm invoking "some abstract working class" when we're talking about two policies that were opposed by majorities of the public at large, whose purported effects were on specific local economies, which are major issues in the current Presidential election.
No, critics of NAFTA accuse it of being "the cause", straight up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Everything Matters

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

SedanChair posted:

It could be argued that Mondale's crushing loss had a psychological effect on Democrats that caused them to undermine their own philosophy. I hope something like that happens.

But on the other hand, Goldwater begat Nixon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

straight up brolic posted:

@seiferguy it increases legitimacy and drives down-ballot voting

SedanChair posted:

It could be argued that Mondale's crushing loss had a psychological effect on Democrats that caused them to undermine their own philosophy. I hope something like that happens.

Makes sense. If it turns Republicans into paste and tilts the house and senate towards Democrats, then it's 100% viable.

the left wing comedy people have been spectacularly bad and condescending this election

Samantha Bee has been on point the entire time. John Oliver has been, to an extent, too.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/richardpbacon/status/761316332424065029

haha holy poo poo

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

the left wing comedy people have been spectacularly bad and condescending this election

Sam Bee and John Oliver have been consistently good. They're the ones that seem to be carrying on the Jon Stewart legacy of witty righteous indignation. Trevor Noah is intermittently decent, but seems like he really need a few more years in the role before he's good at it. Larry Wilmore is not bad although his comedic delivery is so-so and he's also fallen into the trap of repeating poorly-researched right-wing talking points.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:captainpop:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Paradoxish posted:

This is dead on.

I've noticed that a few of the posters making this argument have also used the argument that the wealthy are why we can't have better safety nets or other leftist policies, when the reality is that there's a ton of opposition to welfare from the people who will benefit from it the most. I'm fairly pessimistic about the economy on a 20-30 year horizon, but a lot of my pessimism is borne from the fact that I think economically vital welfare policies will never have the level of popular support that they actually need. Unsurprisingly, a lot of this opposition comes from the same people who are being told that their jobs are going away because of trade policy.

The basic problem is that the wealthy are opposed to social safety nets out of short sighted greed and classism, but the working class in most of the Western World are against them because of short sighted spite and racism. White working class people won't support social systems that benefit non-white working class people, and until we work out some solution to that problem, it's going to be hard to move forward.

(See: Brexit)

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

No, critics of NAFTA accuse it of being "the cause", straight up.

That's not true. If you have to assume the weakest version of a particular argument, you aren't arguing in good faith, anyway.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Holy actual gently caress Hillary Clinton's Twitter intern should get a Cabinet position. Make Tweeting a Cabinet position, and give that person the job.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Periodiko posted:

That's not true. If you have to assume the weakest version of a particular argument, you aren't arguing in good faith, anyway.
literally people in this thread, on the previous page, and notable "intellectuals" are saying "NAFTA caused the loss of 700,000 jobs"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
While that's pretty goddamn funny, it probably doesn't occur to them that Trump is the inevitable result of "conservative principles." FYGM, otherization, ignorance of facts in favor of gut feelings. You fuckers got exactly what you deserved.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

illcendiary posted:

Trump's campaign being a WCW storyline makes way too much sense. Like I'm having nWo red/white doublecross clusterfuck flashbacks when I look at the current state of the GOP.

Trump's about to swear in... And then the mic gets cut off.
BAH GAWD WHOSE MUSIC IS THAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Not WCW technically but that is the only good wrestle joke I can think of

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

SubponticatePoster posted:

While that's pretty goddamn funny, it probably doesn't occur to them that Trump is the inevitable result of "conservative principles." FYGM, otherization, ignorance of facts in favor of gut feelings. You fuckers got exactly what you deserved.

Yeah, they're so close to getting it but you know they're going to go right back to being dickish after this is all over. Like, there's a point where they say "We would be thrown back into a recession". But they would probably not agree that Obama has gotten us out of the recession, or that the recovery is real.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

yeah once they get away from making GBS threads on trump, it's dumb. The part focusing on him is just such an incredibly brutal and succinct takedown of the candidate

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Republicans distancing themselves from Trump while yelling "not my Republican party!" bother me on a really base level. Like, gently caress you, assholes. You created this monster, and a ton of you are going to walk away from this disaster unscathed because there are plenty of voters who don't want to believe that this is their fault.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Sam Bee and John Oliver have been consistently good. They're the ones that seem to be carrying on the Jon Stewart legacy of witty righteous indignation. Trevor Noah is intermittently decent, but seems like he really need a few more years in the role before he's good at it. Larry Wilmore is not bad although his comedic delivery is so-so and he's also fallen into the trap of repeating poorly-researched right-wing talking points.

Wilmore seems like a Bernout. Just the other day he gave an easy mode interview with the Libertarian nom Johnson. Also I hate their youngest staff member. "Man I love weeeeeddddd so much. Welp Bernie lost and both sides suck. Might as well not vote and get high as gently caress in Nov. LOL I was going to do that any way."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

Republicans distancing themselves from Trump while yelling "not my Republican party!" bother me on a really base level. Like, gently caress you, assholes. You created this monster, and a ton of you are going to walk away from this disaster unscathed because there are plenty of voters who don't want to believe that this is their fault.
Once he loses a bunch of them are gonna be like "I'm glad that's over!" and think they can get back to business as usual. The business of creating the next Trump.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

"Man I love weeeeeddddd so much. Welp Bernie lost and both sides suck. Might as well not vote and get high as gently caress in Nov. LOL I was going to do that any way."

This seems like a pretty decent option given recent polls

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is a really good reference but I'm afraid that not enough people will get it

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TVarmy posted:

There has to be some kind of limit in polls-only and polls-plus forecasts on FiveThirtyEight, right? Because this far out, there's still a big number of unknowns and possibilities. Like those charts on weather that shows a cone of where a hurricane could go, and a dark red cone of where it's most likely to go. Has Nate Silver ever said if there's a floor for this? Because as much as I'd bet for Clinton at this point, I admit there's still strange-rear end futures where she could lose.

Keep in mind that the model doesn't have a Dumb Candidate variable. It's just saying, "candidates polling at +X in August win the election Y% of the time", it doesn't know that Trump will assuredly blow any opportunity that comes his way, except to the extent you can attribute historical polling to the respective candidates. 538 is always going to overestimate Trump according to however much candidate quality is a factor in elections (however much or little that may actually be).

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Paradoxish posted:

This is dead on.

I've noticed that a few of the posters making this argument have also used the argument that the wealthy are why we can't have better safety nets or other leftist policies, when the reality is that there's a ton of opposition to welfare from the people who will benefit from it the most.

The massive differentials between people's opinions on "welfare" versus "assistance to the poor" strongly suggests that this is a product of political propaganda and ideology. A huge majority of the public supports "increased assistance to the poor", while only a small minority supports increasing "welfare" (http://www.shankerinstitute.org/blog/why-do-most-americans-support-assistance-poor-oppose-welfare). Also, support for welfare programs negatively correlates with income - you seem to be almost implying the opposite is true. Even if the public are opposed to "welfare", the wealthy are more opposed than the poor, so it's bizarre to blame the latter, especially when they have far, far less political influence and representation.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

Holy actual gently caress Hillary Clinton's Twitter intern should get a Cabinet position. Make Tweeting a Cabinet position, and give that person the job.

Secretary of Shade

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

This is a really good reference but I'm afraid that not enough people will get it

it's okay, im sure vox explainer will step up to the plate

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Are you talking about in this thread, or among people who follow Hillary Clinton on twitter, because I would bet that the overwhelming majority of people who were even semi-conscious in 2012 understand that.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Especially bad since they endorsed George HW Bush and he went to Yale.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Can someone explain :thejoke:? In my defence, I'm not american so I probably lack the context.

It's Romney, isn't it?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

QuarkJets posted:

Don't be an rear end.

Anyone who bothers to read politician tweets knows the reference.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Mitt Romney said he had binders full of women, when Obummer asked him about women he would appoint to the cabinet.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Can someone explain :thejoke:? In my defence, I'm not american so I probably lack the context.

Mitt Romney proved he wasn't sexist by claiming he had quote "a binder full of women" he interviewed for a job

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Periodiko posted:

The massive differentials between people's opinions on "welfare" versus "assistance to the poor" strongly suggests that this is a product of political propaganda and ideology. A huge majority of the public supports "increased assistance to the poor", while only a small minority supports increasing "welfare" (http://www.shankerinstitute.org/blog/why-do-most-americans-support-assistance-poor-oppose-welfare). Also, support for welfare programs negatively correlates with income - you seem to be almost implying the opposite is true. Even if the public are opposed to "welfare", the wealthy are more opposed than the poor, so it's bizarre to blame the latter, especially when they have far, far less political influence and representation.

and opposition to "job killing trade policies" as opposed to "freedom of trade" couldn't also be a product of political propaganda and ideology, could it?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

literally people in this thread, on the previous page, and notable "intellectuals" are saying "NAFTA caused the loss of 700,000 jobs"

Okay? If you're trying to measuring the effect of a thing, that's going to potentially produce an estimated number.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

and opposition to "job killing trade policies" as opposed to "freedom of trade" couldn't also be a product of political propaganda and ideology, could it?

From who?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone posted a thing that said "No jobs were lost because of NAFTA." I'm sure there's one in the wall street journal somewhere.

Edit - actually I just looked not even wsj will claim that there were no job losses because of NAFTA.

Also I find it ironic that the every life is a sacred little angel people are arguing that its ok if a few people lost their jobs because of trade deals. lol gently caress poor people or farmers in mexico or whatever.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 4, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Bless you. I was going to request someone post this since I'm at work.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Posting this knowing fully well yall are going to take the wrong lesson from this and freak out about it.

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/761313158350802944

DWS got demoted to the head of Hillary's 50-state operations. This is all a clever ploy by the Trump campaign to make DWS relevant again so they can harp on the emails some more.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

you know, from the people who create political propaganda, based on ideology

i mean if the masses can be swayed against their best interest on welfare policy i'm sure they can be equally agitated on trade policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mitt Romney proved he wasn't sexist by claiming he had quote "a binder full of women" he interviewed for a job

You guys are forgetting that it became an issue because of certain Mormon practices, i.e. "joy books".

• Locked thread