Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you know, from the people who create political propaganda, based on ideology

What is your deal, dude? Are you seriously denying that there's been a huge, heavily racialized program of demonization of welfare? I kind of had you pegged as a progressive primarily focused on racial issues, but if you also don't know about racial issues either I'm not really sure what I'm arguing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Once he loses a bunch of them are gonna be like "I'm glad that's over!" and think they can get back to business as usual. The business of creating the next Trump.

This is why I'm actually really happy about all the press and poll results Johnson is getting. Libertarians are dumb, but they hold actual political opinions. Like things you can debate and point to data about. Compared to a lot of the right wing which currently just have vague emotional ideas they yell about so there's not much room to comprise or discuss.

The worst is the freedom caucus which is essentially the party of toddlers throwing a fit when they are tired but don't want to take a nap. They don't know anything, don't want to know anything, but they know they are mad about it. They are a party within the party and would probably bolt given a chance. Maybe Trump pushes for this after the election claiming the Republican elite sabotaged his campaign?

Tactically if centrist Republicans think Libertarians have a chance and use that as a refuge to reject both Trump and Hillary it'll benefit the dems tremendously especially if they stay there. I hope the Libertarians push more on a state level after the election so they get some representation in the house and senate.

If this fall is an election massacre imagine ending up with republicans, freedom, and libertarians splitting the right?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You guys are forgetting that it became an issue because of certain Mormon practices, i.e. "joy books".
WTF is a joy book, I'm a Utah native and I've never heard of this poo poo

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

zoux posted:

Posting this knowing fully well yall are going to take the wrong lesson from this and freak out about it.

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/761313158350802944

I wish a candidate would sponsor like a commercial free movie marathon. Could be more effective in the ad-heavy swing states.

*TV announcer voice* "This Die Hard Marathon is brought to you commercial-free by Hillary Clinton."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hrc tweet game so on point

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Periodiko posted:

What is your deal, dude? Are you seriously denying that there's been a huge, heavily racialized program of demonization of welfare? I kind of had you pegged as a progressive primarily focused on racial issues, but if you also don't know about racial issues either I'm not really sure what I'm arguing with.

i'm saying that if you believe there's a huge heavily racialized program of demonization of welfare why is it a leap to assume there's a huge heavily racialized program of demonization of free trade e.g. mexicans took my job

like mayyyyybe free trade on the whole is a good thing but it's a useful distraction to blame ferriners overseas for shutting down the hammer factory so that you dont have to question why local government hasn't been able to help you at all (because mexicans)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

RZA Encryption posted:

I wish a candidate would sponsor like a commercial free movie marathon. Could be more effective in the ad-heavy swing states.

*TV announcer voice* "This Die Hard Marathon is brought to you commercial-free by Hillary Clinton."

Hillary should buy out a major national network for a day and get them to show nothing but "Election."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

a shameful boehner posted:

This seems like a pretty decent option given recent polls

please vote

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It started with delete your account but I think an underreported part of this election is just how badly Hillary's twitter game murders Trump's. He's only good at punching down on losers like Jeb!.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No Fucks Obama is best Obama

After seven and a half years of Republican bullshit, it really, really is. This has got to be some massive catharsis.

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is why I'm actually really happy about all the press and poll results Johnson is getting. Libertarians are dumb, but they hold actual political opinions. Like things you can debate and point to data about. Compared to a lot of the right wing which currently just have vague emotional ideas they yell about so there's not much room to comprise or discuss.

The worst is the freedom caucus which is essentially the party of toddlers throwing a fit when they are tired but don't want to take a nap. They don't know anything, don't want to know anything, but they know they are mad about it. They are a party within the party and would probably bolt given a chance. Maybe Trump pushes for this after the election claiming the Republican elite sabotaged his campaign?

Tactically if centrist Republicans think Libertarians have a chance and use that as a refuge to reject both Trump and Hillary it'll benefit the dems tremendously especially if they stay there. I hope the Libertarians push more on a state level after the election so they get some representation in the house and senate.

If this fall is an election massacre imagine ending up with republicans, freedom, and libertarians splitting the right?

Its a sad day when the Libertarians are more of a rational political entity than most of one of the two major parties, but you're right. Economics can be debated, bigoted nationalism and mindless rage cannot.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Periodiko posted:

Okay? If you're trying to measuring the effect of a thing, that's going to potentially produce an estimated number.
If you agree with the idea that NAFTA cost 700,000 jobs as a cause/effect thing, you're ignoring the trends that were causing those jobs to become redundant in the first place. The author of that study trade deficit/surplus with Mexico in individual industries as a means of measuring job atrophy.

like mayyyyybe free trade on the whole is a good thing but it's a useful distraction to blame ferriners overseas for shutting down the hammer factory so that you dont have to question why local government hasn't been able to help you at all (because mexicans)
AKA the 2016 GOP platform

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

nachos posted:

It started with delete your account but I think an underreported part of this election is just how badly Hillary's twitter game murders Trump's. He's only good at punching down on losers like Jeb!.

Trump doesn't have a twitter game, just an addiction.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

WTF is a joy book, I'm a Utah native and I've never heard of this poo poo

It's an FLDS thing, a book of all the marriage-eligible women (by their definition, so like, women over 14) in the community that some Dems tried to tie to the "binders full of women." It was a dumb, fake connection with no merit, especially compared to the fact that Romney probably had actual binders full of cabinet considerations, some of whom were probably women.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Don't be an rear end.

Anyone who bothers to read politician tweets knows the reference.

Wow nice meltdown there Mr Trump

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Forgive me if I missed it in the last few pages, but wtf just happened? Is the Captain Khan thing finally the thing that kills Trump?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

nachos posted:

His tumblr is just compromising pics of Ivanka for some reason.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

i'm saying that if you believe there's a huge heavily racialized program of demonization of welfare why is it a leap to assume there's a huge heavily racialized program of demonization of free trade e.g. mexicans took my job

And I asked you, "from who?" Both political parties supported NAFTA. The American business class overwhelmingly supported NAFTA.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Hillary should use some of the ad money to hire the Stones to play You Can't Always Get What You Want outside Trump headquarters the morning of November 9th. Hell, they might do it for free.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Periodiko posted:

The massive differentials between people's opinions on "welfare" versus "assistance to the poor" strongly suggests that this is a product of political propaganda and ideology. A huge majority of the public supports "increased assistance to the poor", while only a small minority supports increasing "welfare" (http://www.shankerinstitute.org/blog/why-do-most-americans-support-assistance-poor-oppose-welfare). Also, support for welfare programs negatively correlates with income - you seem to be almost implying the opposite is true. Even if the public are opposed to "welfare", the wealthy are more opposed than the poor, so it's bizarre to blame the latter, especially when they have far, far less political influence and representation.

I'm not saying that poor people are more likely to oppose assistance programs, I'm saying that opposition to these programs is coming from more than just the wealthy. And yes, a ton of that is because we have a culture where work (or, more accurately, employment) is put up on a pedestal and people who need assistance are demonized. And even more is straight up just racism. None of this supports the idea that trade policy should be scapegoated for what's really a failure of our safety nets to keep pace with a changing economy.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

Forgive me if I missed it in the last few pages, but wtf just happened? Is the Captain Khan thing finally the thing that kills Trump?
it was the straw that broke the camels back. it gave everyone with a conscious in the republican party an excuse to hit the ejector seat, which is piling on the pressure for others to do the same.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ron Jeremy posted:

those are just the odds, not an actual trendline. for a while trump was matching hillary because the RNC was about to happen, people were excited. then it was a trainwreck and trump went on an extended tantrum

trump being unable to be anything but trump is the thing that kills trump

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Yinlock posted:

please vote

I'll vote for Hilldawg if her margin is less than 5% over Trump on Nov. 7th, otherwise abstain

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ron Jeremy posted:

The Khan family thing was the lead, but it was part of a whole barrage of ridiculous bullshit like the Putin ties, the "hey Russia, hack Clinton please" thing, his continued idiocy on foreign policy like not remembering that Russia already invaded Ukraine or repeatedly asking people why he can't just nuke ISIS.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

"Support Are Troops but gently caress the actual troops" is a GOP double-standard that the base actually doesn't share.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Precambrian posted:

It's an FLDS thing, a book of all the marriage-eligible women (by their definition, so like, women over 14) in the community that some Dems tried to tie to the "binders full of women." It was a dumb, fake connection with no merit, especially compared to the fact that Romney probably had actual binders full of cabinet considerations, some of whom were probably women.
:wtc: Did these idiots not know FLDS isn't the same thing as LDS?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So, I've been thinking about something and I prooobably know the D&D hivemind has been too, so I'll throw it out there.

Trump and the ensuing loss may lead to either a complete restructuring or (in the worst case) collapse of the GOP. But what will replace it? Will it fracture into three separate white nationalist, populist, and "pre-2016 republican" parties? Or will we just see 4 years of backpedaling and "Trump? Never heard of him" tactics?

I don't think either option is the most likely or the best way to save the flaming plane in a nosedive that is the GOP, but I also don't exactly know what else it can be. :shrug:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
it's going to level out again too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Periodiko posted:

And I asked you, "from who?" Both political parties supported NAFTA. The American business class overwhelmingly supported NAFTA.

i dunno man you're the one saying that opposition to welfare is because of political propaganda and not just homespun mess of defining an in-group, protestant work ethic, and racism

it's entirely feasible to support free trade and then blame free trade to agitate your base into voting for you based on empty promises to bring back jobs, that's pretty much all the GOP did for the last twenty years. you can blame the EPA

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Periodiko posted:

Right now both of the major political parties are divided across the isolationism / interventionism axis. Clinton and Jeb! lean more interventionist, Bernie and Trump lean more isolationist. People who tend towards the isolationist side tend to have major issues with globalization in general and free trade in specific.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

straight up brolic posted:

it was the straw that broke the camels back. it gave everyone with a conscious in the republican party an excuse to hit the ejector seat, which is piling on the pressure for others to do the same.

Also, the democrats aren't going after Trump on policy but sanity which is savy as gently caress considering he's a textbook narcissist that can't stop making GBS threads the bed 24/7.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

"why can't we just nuke iraq" - the biggest rear end in a top hat in every middle school 2003-2005

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Spaced God posted:

So, I've been thinking about something and I prooobably know the D&D hivemind has been too, so I'll throw it out there.

Trump and the ensuing loss may lead to either a complete restructuring or (in the worst case) collapse of the GOP. But what will replace it? Will it fracture into three separate white nationalist, populist, and "pre-2016 republican" parties? Or will we just see 4 years of backpedaling and "Trump? Never heard of him" tactics?

I don't think either option is the most likely or the best way to save the flaming plane in a nosedive that is the GOP, but I also don't exactly know what else it can be. :shrug:

I think #2 will lead naturally to #1, they'll try to sweep it under the rug and when that doesn't work melt down completely.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

Manafort had been holding trump back from when he buttoned up the nomination until the convention, and then the Khan thing started, and his entire campaign seems to have given up, and Primary Trump is back in the game, saying whatever he feels like, whenever he feels like. In addition to the khan thing, he threw a baby out of one of his rallies, accepted a fake purple heart, and has, today, thrown people with pocket constitutions out of his rallies. It's a bad scene and it's spiraling downwards. It'll be interesting to see how much longer this can go on.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

:wtc: Did these idiots not know FLDS isn't the same thing as LDS?
There were a lot of clumsy attempts to attack Romney for his Mormon faith, mostly to try and turn off Evangelicals rather than appeal to the Dem base. I don't think they worked - regardless of anyone's issues with the Mormon church (and there are a huge number of legitimate ones), Mormonism is a. authentically an American religion b. An overwhelmingly white one (in the U.S.) and c. Most peoples' interactions with individual Mormons are pretty positive. So going after Romney for it never stuck.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Remember there are still like 90 days left in this train wreck. There will be more and it will be worse. Or more funny depending on your perspective.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

a shameful boehner posted:

I'll vote for Hilldawg if her margin is less than 5% over Trump on Nov. 7th, otherwise abstain

C'mon man just go out and do it. The only way I can ever see Trump winning right now is "voter apathy because he'll obviously lose". While this is hilariously unlikely, Trump is literally running for President so apparently anything loving goes now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bushiz posted:

Manafort had been holding trump back from when he buttoned up the nomination until the convention, and then the Khan thing started, and his entire campaign seems to have given up, and Primary Trump is back in the game, saying whatever he feels like, whenever he feels like. In addition to the khan thing, he threw a baby out of one of his rallies, accepted a fake purple heart, and has, today, thrown people with pocket constitutions out of his rallies. It's a bad scene and it's spiraling downwards. It'll be interesting to see how much longer this can go on.

if trump gets completely exhausted, flames out unspectacularly, and then just stays out of the public eye for a few days/weeks it will improve his chances

we need marathon crazy trump, long distance trump, to keep this up for months

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Were there ever any major news stories along the lines of "<candidate> is doing really poorly in the polls" in 2008 or 2012? I feel like the polls never got a large enough gap for that to happen.

That seems like the thing that would throw any campaign into a death spiral. Report that the polls are looking really bad for <candidate>, which makes fewer people want to vote for them because nobody likes a loser, which makes the polls worse, which creates more reports about the polls looking really bad for <candidate>, which...

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Aww nuts. Now how will I watch Hillary ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Obama was doing pretty badly after the first debate.

Then he decided to not gently caress around anymore in debate.

• Locked thread