Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Started this game today and after doing the opening and having fun running around and doing about 4 substories, I see my overall completion is 0.60%. I'm having a lot of fun so I am glad there will be plenty to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

mikeycp posted:

There are people who say that 3 is terrible and they are very wrong and also dumb.

I did not realise it was possible to be this wrong.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Should I pick up Locker Keys as Haruka and not open the lockers? or should I just not pick them up at all?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Capsaicin posted:

Should I pick up Locker Keys as Haruka and not open the lockers? or should I just not pick them up at all?

Don't pick them up at all; you can't transfer them or the items within to Akiyama.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Did the different character parts of the game in Yak4 and Yak5 have unique directors and share them between games? Because it feels like that, even if I ignore combat differences. I want nothing but Saejima's part finished the hell up, again.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I did not realise it was possible to be this wrong.

From what I've seen it's usually because they're babies about the end plot dump, i.e. the thing every other Yakuza game also has.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I can't believe some people complain about Saejima's chapters, it's so good with so many ridiculously awesome poo poo lol.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

They use the word tranny a lot in 4.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Lucinice posted:

Didn't that change recently?

It's really weird, some stuff you can and some you can't. But I preordered RGG6 with no problem on amazon.co.jp.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

They use the word tranny a lot in 4.

the politics of yakuza unfortunately tend to swing very conservative on a lot of poo poo unfortunately. except when koreans are involved for some reason.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

the politics of yakuza unfortunately tend to swing very conservative on a lot of poo poo unfortunately. except when koreans are involved for some reason.

I guess, though that case specifically could just be because of how they localised it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would be inclined to blame the loc at least partially. It's never been stellar.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assume they're using either 'otoko no ko' or 'newhalf' neither of which require translating as 'tranny'.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 6, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume they're using 'otoko no ko' or 'newhalf' neither of which require translating as 'tranny'.

From what I can tell from the voiced cutscenes they use okama, which I honestly dont know how severe of a slur it is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah forgot about that one, it's not really, you can use any of them disparagingly in the same way someone could use gay as a perjurative but it's just a description, at least afaik

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I can't believe a yakuza would use such a word, they are such nice people after all.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

They also refer to Michiru as "it" in 3, but that entire sidequest chain was weird.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah, it usually is okama IIRC, so it's Sega "untranslated honorifics are important to understanding" localization that's the problem here.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm glad they left the manzai stuff in, but goddamn, how was anybody who doesn't speak japanese supposed to do well on this their first time?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you need to both speak japanese and have the right timing, which is even worse. just find a guide and try it over and over until you squeak by. fortunately, you only have to clear the first round to finish the substory.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
After putting the game down for months because Tatsuo sucks so hard I finally powered through his chapter and upon regaining control of Kiryu and Saejima I was relieved to find it wasn't my imagination. He really is incredibly weak and unfun.

Seriously why does he do one third as much damage as everyone else?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Serious Frolicking posted:

you need to both speak japanese and have the right timing, which is even worse. just find a guide and try it over and over until you squeak by. fortunately, you only have to clear the first round to finish the substory.
I speak Japanese but I was not even ready for how tight the timing was on that. I figured you just had to say the right response when they finished talking but I cratered the laff-o-meter that way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

After putting the game down for months because Tatsuo sucks so hard I finally powered through his chapter and upon regaining control of Kiryu and Saejima I was relieved to find it wasn't my imagination. He really is incredibly weak and unfun.

Seriously why does he do one third as much damage as everyone else?

you are always supposed to be using weapons with him. unlike saejima who should be left in heat mode all the time, you should burn tatsuo's gauge on heat moves with weapons at every opportunity. i think his style is very boring, but it works okay. fortunately aside from maybe using some stop sign cheese to raise the level cap you never need to touch weapons with any of the other characters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I used environment objects and his free unbreakable weapons all the time and while slightly better than his fists they still barely tickle enemies compared to everyone else's bare hands and feet.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sindai posted:

I used environment objects and his free unbreakable weapons all the time and while slightly better than his fists they still barely tickle enemies compared to everyone else's bare hands and feet.

His free weapons are incredibly bad - even the upgraded ones - and basically only there to let you grind xp so you can reach the good stuff. (And to break guards, I guess, they're good for that.)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I never really used weapons in Yakuza until his chapter and the ones you can craft are way better than anything you get for free, it's night and day. It's the difference between doing an alright amount of damage and stunlocking most enemies to kill them in a few hits. Once you get a few ranks in your skills they're strong enough to last for ages, and are pretty cheap to repair.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
That manzai substory is ridiculous, I got a guide and I'm getting nice timing and well said on every line and I still can't get more than 59 points...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I beat the game. I think I'm no longer physically capable of recognizing the word "dream" but it had the best final boss I can remember in a Yakuza game. Just two dudes beating the poo poo out of each other through an entire mansion. Kiryu feels like a god once you get his improved counter ability. Why yes I would like a full heat bar every time anyone tries to attack me. :ssj:

I cheesed Tatsuo's final fight with a firework launcher + frost hammer and avoided playing him at all other times. It was pretty funny repeatedly sending Baba exploding into the air like Team Rocket after Tatsuo decides to beat him up for no real reason. No wonder he wanted to kill himself.

The big fat minion is probably the worst Yakuza boss I can recall thanks to his "you pushed more than two buttons next to me in a row, I get to stun you now" counter.

EDIT: I tried the double Komaki fight once. Yeah, no way in hell. :stare:

I am pretty annoyed you couldn't max out everyone by doing all the side missions, I remember it being pretty easy to buy everything worth buying in 4. Do they really expect you to grind the VR game thing for soul points if you want every skill?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 8, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you can't do the komakis normally, just use stop signs.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

FutureFriend posted:

I mean considering postwar Japanese history it's kind of inevitable, but 0 was kind of sympathetic to Chinese immigrants I guess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah forgot about that one, it's not really, you can use any of them disparagingly in the same way someone could use gay as a perjurative but it's just a description, at least afaik

Okama is definitely an offensive term so I think "tranny" or "fag" is probably appropriate as a translation. According to the WP page I just pulled up it started as offensive slang for the anus and by extension homosexual sex. There's also some text there about groups trying to "reclaim" the word, but I think it's safe to say that is not what is going on in this context.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 9, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
So, the end of Tanimura's chapter into the start of Kiryu's might be the longest period of sustained intense manliness I've experienced. Brotherhood, fathers, brotherhood, fathers, JUSTICE etc. All we're missing is Saejima talking about honor and you'd be checking every box.

Also, rubber bullets is dumb but the fact that it is immediately followed by an extended cutscene of Munakata tearing into Sugiuchi about just how loving obviously stupid their entire plan is almost makes up for it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked yakuza 3 but the chase scenes after you move to the new city, made me stop playing. I got 4 free on psn I think? Then this month I got 5 free on psn? Which is better? I will only play one of the two since I am now an old.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 9, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
5 is better if you are only going to play one of them

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/yakuza-6-details-prologue

quote:

2012, The End of Fighting and Dreams

2012. A snowy night. On Japan’s largest stage where tens of thousands of fans are watching, one girl makes a confession.

“I’m a family member of Kazuma Kiryu. ” That was the moment one idol, one human—as Haruka Sawamura—declared her true dream.

At the same time, Kazuma Kiryu, the “Dragon of Dojima,” just barely managed to settle the large conflict involving the five great cities of Japan.

In the midst of unrelenting snowfall, Kiyru and Haruka reunite. After that, calm days were supposed to come.

People Who Won’t Be Forgiven

After the major conflict, in order for Haruka to live with the children of the Sunshine Orphanage, Kiryu once again decided to cleanse. A three-year prison term. In order to attain happiness, this was the necessary compensation. But that small vacuum in time would cause disorder in their lives.

Haruka retired from the world of show business in a shocking way. Public outcry was more severe than expected. Day and night, Haruka was slandered. The attacks reached even the Sunshine Orphanage children. Haruka was alone, and realized the naivety of her resolution.

2016, The Start of the Incident

2016. Kiryu, released from prison, was informed of the harsh reality by the Sunshine Orphanage children. Haruka’s disappearance. Haruka, afraid she would be a bad influence to the kids of the Sunshine Orphanage, suddenly disappeared. The situation couldn’t be predicted, and he was unable to be by her side. Kiryu returned to Okinawa and suffered his own uselessness.

Haruka’s Accident

Searching for Haruka’s whereabouts, Kiryu goes to Kamurocho in Tokyo. However, despite following the trail from an old friend’s tip, he couldn’t pickup the tracks. Kiryu is at a loss until he talks to a Detective Date on the phone. That’s when hears a hard truth: Haruka was in a traffic accident and is currently unconscious and in critical condition.

To Hiroshima

Kiryu is devastated to see Haruka in her condition, sleeping in the hospital room. It comes to light that while Haruka was in Hiroshima during the time of her disappearance. Onomichi Jingaicho, an old city in eastern Hiroshima. This is a region where a self-reliant organization called the Himei Assocation is in control, which is not associated with the two great powers known as the Tojo Clan and Omi Alliance.

Out of reach of the Tojo Clan, this is new ground for Kiryu. Why was Haruka in Hiroshima? Was her accident really just by chance? Prepared for danger, Kiryu steps into Onomichi Jingaicho. Awaiting him was a city with an atmosphere where normal urban common sense doesn’t apply and the residents seem to be hiding something.

Why did Haruka come to this city? Just what happened to Haruka while Kiryu was away? And “another shock” that becomes evident from Haruka’s accident. Carrying various mysteries, Kiryu will encroach ever further into forbidden grounds.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The revolving door of prison never stops does it?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Who knew a martyr complex was contagious?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

HGH posted:

The revolving door of prison never stops does it?

He had to spend three years for his interference with Tojo affairs despite being a "civilian". Remember the incident in Nagasugai?

And i think it will be because of Haruka being the only moral link Kazuma has left. They hope for him to stick to being a Yakuza and stop letting things like morality and honor get in the way. Sorta like if Nishikiyama or Sohei took over instead of Sera and Terada because lets be honest. Despite Daigo's dickery, he didnt activrly call for the deaths of people and told people that Kamurocho's Tojo are the boss amd everyone will bend or be broken.

Kiryu needs to take up the mantle formally and not be an interim chairman

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I hope Haruka isn't in a coma for the whole game, I like her being playable.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

I hope Haruka isn't in a coma for the whole game, I like her being playable.

Well what is her game going to be now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Well what is her game going to be now?

Comatose nightmare sequences a la the Scarecrow stuff from Arkham Asylum, which would be a great loving excuse to have her fight stuff with no consequences dammit Team RGG I know you've come to this conclusion already, don't break my heart again.

• Locked thread