Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of clothing, the costumes in trek are often pretty bad. Gene had some wierd ideas that pockets were somehow something that would be totally obsolete in his advanced utopia. Pockets are for THINGS and we've evolved past the need for things. Certainly no one has any need to carry around tools or bits of technology with them.

I think the first pocket on a federation uniform we saw were the cadet cargo pants in ds9?

Well, there were those incredibly ugly field jackets from the TOS films that went Full Pocket, to carry the microwave-sized scanners and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also klingons are often clothed entirely in pockets, this is to show they are less advanced and still covet and use things.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It just ends up requiring people to just wear extra clothes whenever they have tools. Crusher gets her lab coat, security get belts. There has never been a Star Trek where people don't carry stuff around.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 4, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

My favorite is the silly little jacket thing with the four useless-looking silver "tools" that Torres wore in later Voyager episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Season one uniforms did have a small pocket. Riker pulled a phaser out of it in Conspiracy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

I think the first pocket on a federation uniform we saw were the cadet cargo pants in ds9?

There's a pocket in the front flap (the part below the belt) in the maroon uniforms used in the movies.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rhyno posted:

It's been around a long time, and there's tons of copycat products. I think they have NFL contracts or something.

They have no NFL contracts (really), but have a bunch of college football ones. They've been in a bigger push to general apparel in the last five or six years. I remember all of my friends that went over to Iraq and Afghanistan back in 2002-2008 all raving about how Under Armour was the best thing they could get their hands on.

Hilariously, they did have the XFL contract.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I managed to google what the "H on clothing" stood for and figured it out. Has this brand recently exploded or is it just a bias that I'm suddenly noticing it a lot more? Reading up on it, it claims to wick sweat away and be comfortable for sports in some special or novel way. I'm guessing most people buy it for the brand and not their needs as high performing athletes, because I'm mostly seeing it on dumpy middle aged white dudes.

Dude, Under Armor (or any other similar fabric-- there's a bunch of them) in hot weather is the bomb. Looking fake athletic is just an added perk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Under Armor's been A Thing for years. It's a really easy way to identify jackasses from a distance.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Dude, Under Armor (or any other similar fabric-- there's a bunch of them) in hot weather is the bomb. Looking fake athletic is just an added perk.

The cold weather gear is pretty awesome too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Duckbag posted:

My favorite is the silly little jacket thing with the four useless-looking silver "tools" that Torres wore in later Voyager episodes.

Wasn't that to cover that Roxann Dawson was pregnant?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't that to cover that Roxann Dawson was pregnant?
Yuuuup.

I think that pregnancy caused the writers to sideline her development a lot.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I always liked the concept of the uniforms from TNG onwards (once they got the collars in, of course). Like they were made of some kind of futuristic materials that somehow got around the real-life problems that wearing fitted jumpsuits must have brought. I was a little disappointed in Beyond when you see a shot of Kirk early on and there's very clearly a zip up the back of his shirt. The concept of a quasi-military "uniform" that looks radically different from real military uniforms is a cool one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Under Armor's been A Thing for years. It's a really easy way to identify jackasses from a distance.

Whatever that sweat wicking fabric is though it's a lifesaver in hot climates and you can get it in normal clothes style.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Yuuuup.

I think that pregnancy caused the writers to sideline her development a lot.

What development? If you weren't Seven or maybe the Doctor with Paris in a distant third you went nowhere in that show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

I always liked the concept of the uniforms from TNG onwards (once they got the collars in, of course). Like they were made of some kind of futuristic materials that somehow got around the real-life problems that wearing fitted jumpsuits must have brought. I was a little disappointed in Beyond when you see a shot of Kirk early on and there's very clearly a zip up the back of his shirt. The concept of a quasi-military "uniform" that looks radically different from real military uniforms is a cool one.

That was meant to be the idea. They were made so tight in season one to try to represent that they'd evolved past wrinkles.

One thing I like about TOS's uniforms that the later never had is how casual and comfy they look. They're only quasi-military, like you said, so gently caress it, be easy and nice to wear.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 5, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Space pajamas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Enterprise has the best uniforms. Practical and comfy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Unless you're Admiral Forrest, and then you just look like an idiot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

What development? If you weren't Seven or maybe the Doctor with Paris in a distant third you went nowhere in that show.

It is pretty fun to listen to Robert Beltran complain about this.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It is pretty fun to listen to Robert Beltran complain about this.

Robert Beltran might have taken his criticism of Voyager a bit far though. He really doesn't come off well.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I wonder if Robert Beltran would have been happier if they didn't have that charlatan of a native expert making him have to say stupid poo poo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unless you're Admiral Forrest, and then you just look like an idiot.

I love the fact that the tie, a last piece of 20th century fashion, made it almost to Kirk's time. :colbert:

But then again, in the Kelvin Timeline at least, there were a ton of civilians rocking ties in Beyond.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

I love the fact that the tie, a last piece of 20th century fashion, made it almost to Kirk's time. :colbert:

But then again, in the Kelvin Timeline at least, there were a ton of civilians rocking ties in Beyond.

My issue isn't the tie, so much as the fact that he's gotta wear a button-down that's tucked into a jumpsuit. There's no way that's comfortable. Plus anytime he bends or raises his arms, he's gonna have a bunched-up lump of shirt stuck somewhere where it's impossible to fix without unzipping.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Once I got to feel a bunch of the original uniforms. I could not believe just how cheap and flimsy the material was.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Maera Sior posted:

Once I got to feel a bunch of the original uniforms. I could not believe just how cheap and flimsy the material was.

TOS was literally taking red-eye deliveries of costumes from illicit sweatshops.

Grand Fromage posted:

Whoopi Goldberg was definitely the biggest star on the show at the time. LeVar Burton would've been second and I am not sure if Patrick Stewart was known at all in the US. I suppose I, Claudius would've aired.

She was so big that when she tried to reach out to Paramount to say "hey, I want to be on the show", the studio thought someone was trying to prank them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's kind of funny to look at them now, Whoopi is pretty much done with film, she's a tv host meanwhile Stewart is a cultural phenomenon, he's loving everywhere.

If you haven't watched these, you better loving get on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-cTs-u-Kg&list=PL1irhH20XtOOI2_afeYAu-_rcgWa1xKpR

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

It's kind of funny to look at them now, Whoopi is pretty much done with film, she's a tv host meanwhile Stewart is a cultural phenomenon, he's loving everywhere.

If you haven't watched these, you better loving get on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-cTs-u-Kg&list=PL1irhH20XtOOI2_afeYAu-_rcgWa1xKpR

Um, I believe you meant to post this one: :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I got the TNG Collection Volume Two soundtrack release recently and have been digging it. Some great cues from the first couple of seasons.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

The Rock wore it in the newest Fast and Furious movies, therefore people buy it because they want to be as cool as The Rock.
That's why I wear this outfits on all my dates.

Everyone notice the penis bump.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It really always kinda bugged me that Star Trek uniforms don't have pockets. I mean, I suppose you don't need to carry around a wallet and keys anymore, but you need someplace to put your tricorder.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

Nothing looks less professional than a bare, scrawny neck. Especially on Picard. What a bad neck. Bad neck.

It's why Rene Auberjonois asked to keep the collar after he realised how good it looked in the first DS9 Mirror episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I got the TNG Collection Volume Two soundtrack release recently and have been digging it. Some great cues from the first couple of seasons.

I'll say this for Family Guy: As annoying and frequently pants-on-head moronic as it is, at least it's given us more music from Ron Jones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

I'll say this for Family Guy: As annoying and frequently pants-on-head moronic as it is, at least it's given us more music from Ron Jones.

Yeah, every so often I'll think "that sounds like something from the first few seasons of TNG"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He kept getting told to make the music worse because if it was too good it was too noticable.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tunicate posted:

He kept getting told to make the music worse because if it was too good it was too noticable.

After watching the composer's documentary on the blu-ray sets, I got the impression that Ron Jones's attitude to that was "gently caress you I do what I want".

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
IIRC he also scored the two good Starfleet Command PC games back in the day

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Tunicate posted:

It's a sad day when the staff feels threatened by a composer.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

HIJK posted:

It's a sad day when the staff feels threatened by a composer.
Not so much the staff, more Rick "aural wallpaper" Berman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of clothing, the costumes in trek are often pretty bad. Gene had some wierd ideas that pockets were somehow something that would be totally obsolete in his advanced utopia. Pockets are for THINGS and we've evolved past the need for things. Certainly no one has any need to carry around tools or bits of technology with them.

Didn't Kirk pull a handkerchief from a trouser pocket during his inspection of engineering during Star Trek II?