Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Grizlor posted:

This is like one of those things where you read the first letter of every line and it spells out 'HILLARY GIVE US THE TRUTH ABOUT BENGHAZI" or something

Hm...

"Laltlalely gssaaItbu fafcat"

I like the fafcat bit, but the rest really isn't working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Probably a magic spell of some kind.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Bigby's Lesser Cringening

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

Bigby's Lesser Cringening

Lesser?

edit: Bigby's Crushing Facepalm

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 3, 2016

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Some news on Terraria Otherworld. Basically they looked at how it was going, were not happy, and are revising a lot of it.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Moryrie posted:

Some news on Terraria Otherworld. Basically they looked at how it was going, were not happy, and are revising a lot of it.

I'm impressed. I hope this turns out well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, that looks less bad than I remember, graphics-wise.

I'm not sure I like the omen of "Silicon sword leveled up" though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Moryrie posted:

I like those screenshots, but the phrase "are revisiing a lot of it" made me think of Starbound and sent a chill down my spine.

Zereth posted:

I'm not sure I like the omen of "Silicon sword leveled up" though.

You and me both, brother/sister/fellow carbon-based life form.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I like the idea of weapons gaining modifiers over time as you use them better than the current system of paying money to reshuffle over and over until you get a good one.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Ariong posted:

I like the idea of weapons gaining modifiers over time as you use them better than the current system of paying money to reshuffle over and over until you get a good one.

If it's just akin to Terraria's modifiers and takes minimal investment to upgrade, it could be good. My immediate worry is if it's a larger investment for a bigger upgrade.

The nice thing about Terraria's 'class system' is you can just swap your armor or helmet out and suddenly be using a whole different set of weapons with a different playstyle. Depending on how Otherworld does its upgrade system it could end up inadvertently encouraging using the same weapon through the whole game, which would suck.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I like those screenshots, but the phrase "are revisiing a lot of it" made me think of Starbound and sent a chill down my spine.

Yeah.. same. Though at least these devs have previously finished a game.. and technically they're looking over someone else's work rather than re-evaluating their own, since Otherworld is being worked on by another dev team.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

nightwisher posted:

Bigby's Crushing Facepalm

Hahahahahaha

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Moryrie posted:

Though at least these devs have previously finished a game.. and technically they're looking over someone else's work rather than re-evaluating their own, since Otherworld is being worked on by another dev team.
Did you actually bother checking what games Engine Software has finished? It's not exactly a great track record. Other than crap shovelware and portable ports their biggest note seems to be the console versions of Terraria, which, if you look at the content they actually created for it, is not a stellar endorsement. This is not Relogic making this. This is not Redigit. Whatever goodwill Terraria has earned, save it for Terraria 2, not this third party spinoff.
I want this to be good, I really do, but after Starbound I really hope no one is giving this any more credit than "wait and see".

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Thanks for the help with the section of the game I'm in y'all. I am getting ready to tackle the Moon Lord and was wondering about accessories at this point for a gunner. I've got a decent pair of wings, Frostspark Boots, Charm of Myths and Star Veil. I made a Sniper scope and was wondering if I should swap out something for it. I plan on making a vortex beater and also plan on making the asphalt sky bridge to attempt this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

Did you actually bother checking what games Engine Software has finished? It's not exactly a great track record. Other than crap shovelware and portable ports their biggest note seems to be the console versions of Terraria, which, if you look at the content they actually created for it, is not a stellar endorsement.

Aaaand they're getting the boot. The console and mobile ports will be remade from scratch by a different company.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Did you actually bother checking what games Engine Software has finished? It's not exactly a great track record. Other than crap shovelware and portable ports their biggest note seems to be the console versions of Terraria, which, if you look at the content they actually created for it, is not a stellar endorsement. This is not Relogic making this. This is not Redigit. Whatever goodwill Terraria has earned, save it for Terraria 2, not this third party spinoff.
I want this to be good, I really do, but after Starbound I really hope no one is giving this any more credit than "wait and see".

Yeah, I knew it wasn't by the Terraria devs, hence why I tried to specify? :/ .. and I was aware of what that group had done before.

As for Terraria 2, I don't think we've seen any screens of that. xP

But well, company got booted anyway, so not really relevant now?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The fact that Relogic no longer trusts this company enough to handle even the ports does not inspire confidence. It could be that they're just trying to focus them on a singular project but this really comes off as a magnanimous sendoff.

Moryrie posted:

But well, company got booted anyway, so not really relevant now?
No, they got booted from the mobile ports, they're still making Otherworld.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ouch. Relogic may not be able to pull them off of Terraria Otherworld, contractually.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just finished a railway to hell, mostly using existing cave features. Half of me is insisting I never want to do that again, the other half is aghast, saying I haven't even started the ocean-to-ocean blue line (With branch stop at the dungeon), or the green line to the jungle and lizahrd temple.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I did similar railroad lines. It took a long long time. Then the steampunker showed up and I bought teleporters :(

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Dareon posted:

Just finished a railway to hell, mostly using existing cave features. Half of me is insisting I never want to do that again, the other half is aghast, saying I haven't even started the ocean-to-ocean blue line (With branch stop at the dungeon), or the green line to the jungle and lizahrd temple.

Post pics, please.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Clark Nova posted:

Ouch. Relogic may not be able to pull them off of Terraria Otherworld, contractually.

It's impossible to say without seeing the contract itself (which of course we never will), but there's a bunch of legal tricks you can do to get around this that boil down to things like declaring whatever they've done so far to be a "completed game" and then bringing in another company to do "QA support" (i.e. actually make the game).

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Dareon posted:

When I do this, I open up the map and find the lowest natural surface elevation and dig a 7-high tunnel all the way across the map just under that height. It's stupid but I do it every time.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

AnimalChin posted:

Post pics, please.

The snapshot function doesn't like it when you take most of the vertical space in a single shot.

The main station is housed in a floating island. Lines currently run to hell and to my treehouse base nearby. Infrastructure is in place to begin building one side of the ocean line, and I'll probably work out some route so I can go ocean-to-ocean without needing to stop at the station. I tend to build entirely in the sky for the easier majority of building, although the zig-zags to get up and down are a pain.

The line zig-zags down to the surface, where a small station lets me hop on if I happen to be coming along from the ground. The bumpers and track intersections are all set up to make things automatic on the way up. I do have to hold down to descend.

It mostly follows cave features with occasional cuts and modifications, except for this stretch where I just plain ran out of cave and bombed my way through.

And we end with a tiny cute station in hell, not really near any features. I do plan to put something more in there. Maybe another rail line for fighting the WoF. :suicide:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You ever get so mad you built a house?

I spent three blood moons underwater, furiously mashing sharks to try and get a diving helmet. As the second ended with a fiftieth shark but no helmet, I thought gently caress it, I'll just build a house and live here until I get one.

The 95th shark dropped one as I was finishing emptying the water out of the place.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

How the gently caress did you even build a house underwater?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

NachtSieger posted:

How the gently caress did you even build a house underwater?

Very patiently dump out the water bucket by bucket.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
First you build the walls (not background walls, though, just normal blocking walls) and then you drain the water that's inside (preferably with a pump but you could do it with a buckets or by digging a hole to let it flow away). It's also possible to do stuff like bringing in some lava to turn the water inside into obsidian and then dig it, but to bring in lava you'll need a pump or buckets so it's just as simple to drain the water directly.

If you've done a ton of angler quests you may get a sponge that drains infinite water, so if you have that it's the simplest solution by far.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

The Art of Touching a Woman

Like a hand in rushing water,
a cool and tangible surface,
like a hand out a car window,
the wind controlling its movement,
like a hand upon green grass,
as you watch it bend in softness,
like a hand touching fire,
every moment leaves a mark,
like a hand in the frozen snow,
your warmth could melt it all,

gently,
slowly,
specifically,
all detail matters,
and every inch is art,
I could tell you about a reason,
to love a moment like this,
but its better left,
unsaid,

for a touch is worth a thousand words,
and pictures just don’t matter anymore,
for only a memory of your touch,
can bring that look to her face,
and that longing,
to her eyes.

--Blue

What... I just.. what?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

grimcreaper posted:

What... I just.. what?

Something you look for in a PR guy is the ability to make people cringe so hard they sprain something

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Foo Diddley posted:

Something you look for in a PR guy is the ability to make people cringe so hard they sprain something

Maybe he knew how bad the community for the official forums was going to be, so he found someone equally terrible to talk to them so he didn't have to.

Foresight.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Wasn't Blue directly responsible for the forum's toxicity, having encouraged the underlying behaviors?

Ranger X
Feb 2, 2005
Lurking progress...46%
Patch 1.3.3 has gone live today.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/pc-1-3-3-changelog.48916/

Apparently it does not require starting a fresh map to access the new content so long as the map was generated since version 1.3

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
What the gently caress did they do to all the existing saves? all mine are gone!

Edit: It's all gone. 621 hours of playing all wiped out for no reason.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 9, 2016

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Mine are fine. :shrug:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

King Doom posted:

What the gently caress did they do to all the existing saves? all mine are gone!

Edit: It's all gone. 621 hours of playing all wiped out for no reason.

If you go to my documents/my games/terraria do you still have stuff in your Players and Worlds folders? Maybe it's just looking in the wrong place somehow?

That's the only thing I can think of. Sucks if you really lost everything, man. :( I'm going to back my folder up just in case before updating now.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Anyone know of a way to 'trigger' sandstorms?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

So the desert finally has a purpose besides farming glass and pissing me off early game with Antlion Chargers. Nice.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Xenaero posted:

Anyone know of a way to 'trigger' sandstorms?

I'm assuming that it's what happens when it rains in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

watho posted:

I'm assuming that it's what happens when it rains in the desert.

It does, I had to wait awhile for it to happen. :)