Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Metapod posted:

What does this gently caress have to do for my state to stop being dark red :gonk:

I hear ya metapod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

FLIP.

TEXAS.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Personally, I'm just disappointed that Donald Trump isn't quite bad enough to permanently sink Paul Ryan, and that Scott Walker isn't a) up for reelection and b) tanking in the polls for being even vaguely associated with Trump.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

No. Violence should not be rewarded.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Insult a baby? :v:

And when you stare persistently in to the base, the base also stares into you...and starts humming a Kenny Chesney Toby Keith song.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Oh how amazing would it be for Texas to flip blue. They've talked about it for a while now how it's moving that way but Texas flipping blue would be great.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gyges posted:

I will accept a great many things a plausible. But the libertarian option coming in dead last on the internet? Get the gently caress out of here with that bullshit. At least people who believe the moon landing was hoaxed have a couple of seconds of asking plausible questions before they get decked by Buzz Aldrin.

None of those are the winner getting the largest share of the popular vote. They're people losing with a smaller percentage of the vote than Goldwater had. Wilson got 41.8%, Harding got 60.3%, and Coolidge got 54%.

LBJ's still got the biggest dick, son.

Eh, well that's what I'm looking forward to. Clinton ain't gonna do better than LBJ, but I want Trump to do worse than Goldwater, and think it's a solid possibility.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Personally, I'm just disappointed that Donald Trump isn't quite bad enough to permanently sink Paul Ryan, and that Scott Walker isn't a) up for reelection and b) tanking in the polls for being even vaguely associated with Trump.

I'm really aching for Walker to lose reelection in 2018. The celebrations around Madison would be deafening.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

How hard up for fame are you when you depend on the story of you murdering an innocent teenager for recognition?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Hollismason posted:

Oh how amazing would it be for Texas to flip blue. They've talked about it for a while now how it's moving that way but Texas flipping blue would be great.

If Trump's polls continue to collapse, the next state to go blue is Missouri.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My Dad, an Ohioan and the biggest Hill-hater in the room, just told me today that:

Kasich is dead to him because he sabotaged the RNC and apparently canceled a bunch of appearances locally without informing anyone. He's a big Kasich guy as of a month ago.

He'd never vote for Trump but will vote straight R otherwise.

The only two policies he really disagrees with for Hillary are gun control and some small aspect of banking regulations.

Literally two weeks ago he was saying she had people killed. He's either protest voting lib or maybe actually for Clinton. Never thought I'd see the day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eifert Posting posted:

My Dad, an Ohioan and the biggest Hill-hater in the room, just told me today that:

Kasich is dead to him because he sabotaged the RNC and apparently canceled a bunch of appearances locally without informing anyone. He's a big Kasich guy as of a month ago.

The only two policies he really disagrees with for Hillary are gun control and some small aspect of banking regulations.

Literally two weeks ago he was saying she had people killed. He's either protest voting lib or maybe actually for Clinton. Never thought I'd see the day.

This is what happens when you go after a gold star family. A lot of boomers are vets or know vets personally because of Vietnam. Suddenly when one candidate openly goes after one... well... Play stupid games.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dunno man you're the one saying that opposition to welfare is because of political propaganda and not just homespun mess of defining an in-group, protestant work ethic, and racism

So now you are disagreeing? Okay, but I think the historical record shows otherwise, and I think your explanation of a "homespun mess" is as much a shrug-and-hands-in-the-air as your opinions on free trade. Leveraging anti-black bias by working class whites to target social programs has been a primary strategy of conservatives and the Republican party since Lee Atwater at least. It is the southern strategy. There's a huge amount of writing on this subject. Here's a random rear end Coates article from 2012, grasping for someone you'll accept because I'm still confused about your ideology.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/we-are-all-welfare-queens-now/262512/

The Atlantic posted:

You can paint a similar history of the welfare state, which was first secured by assuring racist white Democrats that the pariah of black America would be cut out of it. When such machinations became untenable, the strategy became to claim the welfare state mainly benefited blacks. And as that has become untenable, the strategy has become to target the welfare state itself, with no obvious mention of color. At each interval the ostensible pariah grows, until one in two Americans are members of the pariah class.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's entirely feasible to support free trade and then blame free trade to agitate your base into voting for you based on empty promises to bring back jobs, that's pretty much all the GOP did for the last twenty years. you can blame the EPA

No, it's not. The GOP has been resolutely pro-free trade since the Reagan-era. NAFTA received far more support from Republicans than Democrats in congress. NAFTA passed 234-200 in the House with 76% of Republicans voting for it. It was largely a Republican victory, and one they championed and campaigned on. I think you're confused.

Also you've weirdly racialized opposition to NAFTA in a way that seems very ahistorical. Prominent members of the black caucus opposed NAFTA, probably a majority. It's beyond my present time/abilities to quickly get a list of the 1992 members and cross-reference, but most of the prominent members I'm aware of voted no. Jon Lewis voted no. Rangel, Kweisi Mfume, Conyers voted no. I can't confirm this, but everything I've seen strongly suggests that black congressional Democrats were generally opposed to NAFTA. It's an interesting question, and I could be wrong if you put in the work, but it definitely looks like black Democrats opposed NAFTA. It sounds like a fun short project, regardless.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/103-1993/h575

Further, you and others have claimed that NAFTA opposition was rooted in anti-Mexican racism and denialism of free trade, but that seems like a truly wild oversimplification of criticism of NAFTA at the time, and seems more like a reaction to 2016 than 1992. I was curious so I looked up the LAC's report on NAFTA. Given that this is the organization specifically designed to represent labor during the process, I think it's reasonable to take this as the mainstream opinion of labor opposition at the time. The report does not oppose free trade out of hand, and largely is critical in very specific, reasonable ways, laying out policy failures point by point over the course of 22 pages. It also foreshadows much of the criticism of NAFTA that will follow it's passing. Here's an excerpt from the introduction, which lays out their objections in general terms. Apologies that the linked version is an ugly, difficult to read scan of the document.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31822015070683;view=1up;seq=27

The LAC posted:

The agreement, as drafted, is a complete rejection of the Committee's advice. The LAC, therefore, believes that the draft agreement does not promote the economic interests of the United States ... Indeed, the Committee believes that this agreement will worsen the serious economic and social problems facing the United States today.

Under current trade arrangements, tens of thousands of U.S. workers have lost their jobs. Tens of thousands more have seen employment opportunities vanish as U.S. companies moved production to Mexico, taking advantage of the poverty of Mexican workers and the absence of any effective regulations on corporate behavior. The proposed free trade agreements will only make matters worse.

Studies have shown that the NAFTA will result int he loss of between 290,000 and 550,000 jobs through the end of the decade and place serious downward pressure on U.S. wages.

There are no protections in this agreement against further deindustrialization of the American economy. There are no protections against the erosion of our skill base in manufacturing. There are no counter-incentives to inhibit massive transfers of investment and production to Mexico. Mexican workers have no protections with which to ensure that they, and no just their employers, benefit from increased investment so they might become consumers for the products they and we produce.

As NAFTA is currently drafted, we know that U.S. corporations, and the owners and managers of these corporations, stand to reap enormous profits. The United States as a whole, however, stands to lose and particular groups to lose an enormous amount.

The agreement should be rejected by the Congress. The LAC believes we can and must do better.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 5, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

As if it needed to be any more obvious that his not guilty verdict was wrong and he likely did escalate the situation.

Seems to me this lends more credence to the idea of Martin jumping him, since he's clearly the type of rear end in a top hat you punch in the jaw at first opportunity

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Eifert Posting posted:

My dad's going through the same conversion. He's been second guessing the rest of my family when they bring up Hillary smears telling them to double-check their sources and such. I haven't said anything because he seems to be going through the transformation himself.

Trump is literally breaking the Reagan revolution.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I so far see no change in the Evangelicals I know.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mr.Radar posted:

Brad Jones (The Cinema Snob) and his friend Dave reviewed Dinesh D'souza's Hillary's America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr2PtuviAJo

This is the first movie they've seen that's been so bad they've walked out on it :stare:

I like how angry the glasses guy gets until he talks about his kid :3:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't imagine bringing up the idea of actually using nuclear weapons plays that well with people who lived through the Cold War, either.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My dad posts racist memes to Facebook literally ten times per day.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What would happen if Paul Ryan spent the next two years sending bills that *weren't* "Defund Obamacare and also Hillary Clinton has smelly feet Act of 2017"?

Like, what if he governed? Passed laws, helped people by improving the country? In 2018, when the country is actually functioning, would he be primaried from the right?

Because if the R's hold on to like a 4-seat majority, the writing's gotta be on the wall that refusing to even name a post office is not gonna be OK.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For reference, the 538 NowCast is predicting 365.9 electoral votes for Hillary. 365 would only tie Obama in 2008.

(Quoted wrong thing).

Name Change fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 5, 2016

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What would happen if Paul Ryan spent the next two years sending bills that *weren't* "Defund Obamacare and also Hillary Clinton has smelly feet Act of 2017"?

Like, what if he governed? Passed laws, helped people by improving the country? In 2018, when the country is actually functioning, would he be primaried from the right?

Because if the R's hold on to like a 4-seat majority, the writing's gotta be on the wall that refusing to even name a post office is not gonna be OK.

This has never been the case. A majority will always lord that majority no matter how marginal it is.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Lightning Knight posted:

Trump has already put a ceiling on Ryan. He is out of presidential races until an EMP wipes out all record of him reaffirming his support for Trump after every horrible thing Trump has said. This is true even if Trump wins in November. Ryan will be speaker of the house until he gets stabbed in the back and then he will become a small no name congressman that gets Trump clips played the minute he opens his mouth.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

iospace posted:

This is what happens when you go after a gold star family. A lot of boomers are vets or know vets personally because of Vietnam. Suddenly when one candidate openly goes after one... well... Play stupid games.

I always wonder who the people are that say they'll vote Trump one week then the next go for Hilary, but this makes a lot of sense. If people really feel this way, and it seems like it's not some isolated thing, it's not something you can easily come back from. Even if Hillary has some scandal pop up, I don't think you would see people who gave up supporting Trump because of his issues with vets in the last week or so go back to supporting him because they suddenly don't trust Hillary.

Was there ever a moment in the primary where he severely dipped in the polls because of something he said and then came back? I feel like it was just a flavor of the week thing with Carson and Fiorina. Nothing like the poo poo with the purple heart or going after Khan.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TyrantWD posted:

Trump has already put a ceiling on Ryan. He is out of presidential races until an EMP wipes out all record of him reaffirming his support for Trump after every horrible thing Trump has said. This is true even if Trump wins in November. Ryan will be speaker of the house until he gets stabbed in the back and then he will become a small no name congressman that gets Trump clips played the minute he opens his mouth.

Yeah but I want him to be gone forever. It's super embarrassing to have him be the guy representing my district.

It could be worse, I guess. Who's that guy from Iowa who is openly pro-Confederate and white supremacist? I guess I could live in his district.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Artificer posted:

I'm only seeing this shift occurring in people who were truly deaf to the dogwhistle. There's actually a fair number of them and they're all completely disgusted with what's happening. It seems like most of them were also in denial about things until the RNC solidified it.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah but I want him to be gone forever. It's super embarrassing to have him be the guy representing my district.

It could be worse, I guess. Who's that guy from Iowa who is openly pro-Confederate and white supremacist? I guess I could live in his district.

Steve King.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Necc0 posted:

I'm only seeing this shift occurring in people who were truly deaf to the dogwhistle. There's actually a fair number of them and they're all completely disgusted with what's happening. It seems like most of them were also in denial about things until the RNC solidified it.

I think some are so single issue that they literally cannot agree with a candidate that supports some platform that their religious views do not coincide with, come hell or high water.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Artificer posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Evangelical vote split between Trump (common ground: bigotry) and Cruz (common ground: overly religious and pretentious dickholes) and cast their lot in with Trump. The fact that he said he'll get the Johnson amendment repealed only helps his support with them.

On Terra Firma posted:

I always wonder who the people are that say they'll vote Trump one week then the next go for Hilary, but this makes a lot of sense. If people really feel this way, and it seems like it's not some isolated thing, it's not something you can easily come back from. Even if Hillary has some scandal pop up, I don't think you would see people who gave up supporting Trump because of his issues with vets in the last week or so go back to supporting him because they suddenly don't trust Hillary.

Was there ever a moment in the primary where he severely dipped in the polls because of something he said and then came back? I feel like it was just a flavor of the week thing with Carson and Fiorina. Nothing like the poo poo with the purple heart or going after Khan.

When you get the VFW, an organization who does not get involved in politics, involved in politics, YOU'VE DONE hosed UP.

As for the second part, not that I recall, hence why "LOL NOTHING MATTERS" became popular in primary season.

Tangential story here: back when I was in college the first time around, I was in summer school when the moving Vietnam Wall was there. A vet said, "Yeah, I can put it together, it's just pieces then. But now that it's together, I can't look at it because I'm afraid I'm going to see a name of a buddy I lost."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Artificer posted:

I think some are so single issue that they literally cannot agree with a candidate that supports some platform that their religious views do not coincide with, come hell or high water.

I always thought it was funny that Liberty University hosts politicians from all sides of the spectrum, but the students are only allowed to vote for Republicans

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We'll have to see what the Evangelicals end up doing. They hate Democrats, but they also are realizing precisely how unchristian Trump is.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Necc0 posted:

This actually describes a couple of people in my family. They're solid Democratic voters and have been for decades, but they still absolutely refused to believe that the GOP or its policies were at all based in racism or hate. This election has been a huge eye opener for them and it's actually been kind of a dark experience watching their faith in humanity shattered by a cheeto golem.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sarmhan posted:

We'll have to see what the Evangelicals end up doing. They hate Democrats, but they also are realizing precisely how unchristian Trump is.

Yeah and most don't give a poo poo

Best case scenario is they don't turn out. I don't see the movement centered around the Prosperity Gospel and Southern Baptist Churches voting for a Midwest Methodist, even if they didn't believe she was the spawn of Satan

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Stalin posted:

Does this mean we have have faith in the average american voter again?

I mean there's a real chance Clinton takes Georgia, and on current polling she could maybe even steal South Carolina, a Great Plains state, or Utah*, and could put Missouri back into contention.

So now that the average American voter is no longer a white dude... maybe just a tiny bit?

* I know none of these are really likely, but that the Clinton campaign could realistically take a look at the map and say "Okay, we're taking some of our money and spending it in SC and Montana, we might not win but we'll make the other guys have to defend in those places, and who knows, maybe we WILL win!" is complete insanity. Georgia has only gone D once since 1980, Montana only once since the 70s, story's even more extreme with the Dakotas and Utah. Both of Wyoming's residents appear to be devoted Trumpees though. Again, I'm not predicting Clinton will sweep these states or even take more than maybe one, and even that is optimistic, but that they are even potentially places she can attack to make Trump spend resources on defense is totally bugfuck insane. Also Love Me's a bit of a wild card with Utah and who knows what happens there?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The one guy I know who loves Trump is literally having some kind of schizophrenic meltdown right now. He's convinced that Hillary is slowing down his internet because he's a Trump supporter, thereby cutting down on the amount of pro-Trump rhetoric on social networks.

:(

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Taima posted:

The one guy I know who loves Trump is literally having some kind of schizophrenic meltdown right now. He's convinced that Hillary is slowing down his internet because he's a Trump supporter, thereby cutting down on the amount of pro-Trump rhetoric on social networks.

:(

He's right

*steps down a little harder on tube labelled "CONSERVATIVE INTERNETS"*

*cashes joint FEMA / Clinton Foundation check*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sarmhan posted:

You have to remember a non-trivial amount of these people believe that government helping others out is taking away from their ability to help others, and thus lessening them in the eyes of god.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
My generally conservative/religious relatives are posting more stuff along the lines of being disappointed with both candidates. I doubt they'll vote Hillary, they'll probably still vote Trump, but I doubt they'll be out and advocating for him because of the stigma associated with him. You can't stick your neck out for someone so unpredictable that could make you look bad tomorrow.

These recent statements have killed enthusiasm for him among many but the most fervent right.

If the GOP doesn't outright break in half, I still have to imagine that we'll see a shift back in his direction and against Hillary soon. The media demands a horse race because it's good for business.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Paradoxish posted:

This actually describes a couple of people in my family. They're solid Democratic voters and have been for decades, but they still absolutely refused to believe that the GOP or its policies were at all based in racism or hate. This election has been a huge eye opener for them and it's actually been kind of a dark experience watching their faith in humanity shattered by a cheeto golem.

My Dad, once a staunch fiscal conservative, recently asked me what was going on with this election and why the party he once supported had become so terrible. Without pulling any punches, I told him the modern GOP was built on a foundation of racism and other forms of bigotry. He had a little trouble wrapping his mind around the idea that the answer was something so blunt and simple, but ultimately couldn't disagree with it. This is a man who literally hisses when he hears Hillary Clinton's name, and he just might vote for her this year. He certainly won't vote for Trump. Too bad we live in West Virginia so our votes don't mean much, but it's encouraging at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Have Some Flowers! posted:

My generally conservative/religious relatives are posting more stuff along the lines of being disappointed with both candidates. I doubt they'll vote Hillary, they'll probably still vote Trump, but I doubt they'll be out and advocating for him because of the stigma associated with him. You can't stick your neck out for someone so unpredictable that could make you look bad tomorrow.

These recent statements have killed enthusiasm for him among many but the most fervent right.

If the GOP doesn't outright break in half, I still have to imagine that we'll see a shift back in his direction and against Hillary soon. The media demands a horse race because it's good for business.

Eh... the media is starting to shift to "Holy poo poo this could be a legitimate blowout and look at this campaign melt down!" mode.

• Locked thread