Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't expect a joke like this in a manga.

pariston?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I like that Shiketsu High seems to have a Wookie on their team

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like that Jojo is like the multiverse for all mangas to connect with.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Jojo poses transcend all universes.

Now if only the rest of it stopped doing so :saddowns:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's interesting that after the last few arcs have all dealt with actual villains and other people we're going back to another School as the 'bad guys'

Curious to see if he can keep up the feeling of threat even while acknowledging the stakes aren't quite as high.

lol the stakes are higher than ever the villains are bearing down on them and the heros need these licenses or else they have no legal ability to defend themselves.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

Oh please, I'm sure you enjoyed the recent Jojo spoof in Shokugeki no Soma just like the rest of us. =P

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

C'mon, now, Steel Ball Run was great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, now, Steel Ball Run was great.

I think Jojolion won't be bad when it's done and you can read it in one go. But having to read it in slow releases makes it really hard to follow because every time a new chapter comes out, all the interest in what just happened is gone and it's a struggle to remember what went on. The core mystery of it is pretty cool I think.

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel that Bakugou's headed for a big turning point, though, where he's forced to confront the mismatch between who he is and who he wants to be. Flunking his provisional hero license due to causing massive collateral damage seems like a pretty good place to put that step in his arc.

He's Deku's rival, but rivals can fail, so long as they get a kick in the pants from it and come back even stronger and more determined. Losing out on his license seems ideal for that - it's embarrassing, and maybe knocks him out of the picture for an arc, but it's not a particularly big deal in the long term.

My dumb thought is that he might actually go to far in what is supposed to be a training thing like the entrance exam and unintentionally hurt someone or pose a threat to civilians. Dude gets fired up enough over his own classmates being equal to him, he might lose his poo poo a bit if it's some strangers from another school.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

gnome7 posted:

He is DEFINITELY going to do this.

I really can't see All Might dying any other way than by saving someone, even if he is basically powerless now. Anything else just wouldn't suit him. Right at the start he thought he couldn't help, then forced himself to do it anyway. I'm guessing that he either just for a moment goes full bulk and saves someone, or saves someone without any powers at all, like diving in front of a car to save a kid or something.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I think it's silly that the provisional license is played up so much when the kids are probably more competent than the loving mook sidekicks and mid-tier pro-heroes who were getting loving wrecked by B-class Noumus.

They're better in fights (this being shounen manga) but being licensed to do that around civilians and infrastructure is a different matter.

Hopefully the test is more along the lines of demonstrating judgement, precision and responsibility than power levels.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

[S H I T ! ! H O L Y]

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Slime posted:

like diving in front of a car to save a kid
Then he gets a magic golden egg that will let him come back to life, but he'll sacrifice it to save Deku's mom from a fire.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fabricated posted:

I think it's silly that the provisional license is played up so much when the kids are probably more competent than the loving mook sidekicks and mid-tier pro-heroes who were getting loving wrecked by B-class Noumus.

Logically, one would need more than raw combat power as a prerequisite to being a licensed hero, otherwise heroes like the Pussycats would have serious trouble qualifying because half of them didn't have combat quirks at all. A lot of Class A is ludicrously strong in the raw combat power area, but a lot of them have emotional or judgment problems that still need ironing out. For example, Bakugou might be able to kick the poo poo out of every single mid-tier pro hero who currently exists in a one on one fight but he's still definitely not professional hero material in his current state, and Deku might be a walking encyclopedia of hero and villain knowledge endowed with the potential strongest quirk in the world but he's really loving bad at knowing his own limits.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Possibilities for Tsuyu's new, more frog-like special move:
  • Puking up her guts, and stuffing them back inside to paralyze her opponent with disgust
  • Shooting baby frogs out of grotesquely swollen skin folds in her back to paralyze her opponent with disgust
  • Eating a mouthful of bugs right in front of her opponent, to paralyze them with disgust
  • frogs and toads are super gross you guys
Personally I'd like the exam to be seemingly straightforward, but actually very difficult to coordinate in practice. Save the passengers on a sinking ship, or burning building; foiling a bank heist with hostages; save the widows and orphans picnic from Terminator inflitration... Kinda like the early exam with the fake nuke but way, way more complicated. Bakugou and Todoroki would both be at a serious disadvantage in any situation where preserving noncombatants is the priority.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rangpur posted:

• Puking up her guts, and stuffing them back inside to paralyze her opponent with disgust
  • Shooting baby frogs out of grotesquely swollen skin folds in her back to paralyze her opponent with disgust
  • Eating a mouthful of bugs right in front of her opponent, to paralyze them with disgust
Personally I'd like the exam to be seemingly straightforward, but actually very difficult to coordinate in practice. Save the passengers on a sinking ship, or burning building; foiling a bank heist with hostages; save the widows and orphans picnic from Terminator inflitration... Kinda like the early exam with the fake nuke but way, way more complicated. Bakugou and Todoroki would both be at a serious disadvantage in any situation where preserving noncombatants is the priority.

She uses her poison glands to emulate the poison dart frogs.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rangpur posted:

i think that todoroki's powers are actually really good for preserving noncombatants in a time-sensitive situation. dude could walk into a hostage situation and immobilize the entire room. not comfortable for the civilians, but they'd be alive

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uraraka's new technique

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe the manga just didn't convey it well enough but the pussycats weren't supposed to be particularly weak at all, I think, even if their focus was mountain rescue. Spinner was actually pretty capable and Magne was also stated to be quite dangerous, so they went against the pros instead of the students. They teamed up on Pixiebob and Ragdoll was taken down by a specialized Noumu that was very strong (though obviously not as much as the first one)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Silver2195 posted:

It's possible for them all to pass. The failure rate is for Japan as a whole, not UA, after all.

Well, we don't know yet how the exams work. The high failure rate may be due to high standards or simply because they only give out a limited number of provisional licenses every year.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ashido will pass. Bakugou will fail against the new intense guy. And Ojiro will be there somewhere.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
it'll just be mineta that passes. no one else.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, we don't know yet how the exams work. The high failure rate may be due to high standards or simply because they only give out a limited number of provisional licenses every year.

The suggestions of competition imply a limited number of licenses.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rangpur posted:

you'd better not be calling my friend frog gross you piece of poo poo

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

She's one of the good ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

racist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

my post was so true it happened twice

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Regarding the traitor discussion, I'm going to make a prediction. Whichever characters get their provisional licenses are likely to go off doing stuff while the others are left behind. That may be a reason for all of class 1-A to pass, but let's suppose that doesn't happen. For story reasons, and assuming that the traitor is a student, I think they're going to have to pass in order to keep from fading into the background.

And particularly in regards to Kaminari, considering he lost in both the sports festival and the end of term test, if he wins here and there are any other members of class 1-A who fail, that may be another sign that something's up.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Fabricated posted:

I'd actually love if the explanation for why there's so many mid-tier pro-heroes is that there's lovely for-profit schools that give licenses out like candy without actually giving the necessary education to make competent heroes. Like classes to pass the exam but not the skills necessary for the real world (like in real life)

VVV It's already implied with what happened with the Stain arc but I'd like an infodump page or something. Or if Stain ever gets out of superjail and gets character development he would attack the education establishment for creating wannabe heroes.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 6, 2016

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Those don't already exist? I mean, poo poo, look at Mt. Lady's massive collateral damage, you'd think mitigating that would have been a top priority.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Last Celebration posted:

look at Mt. Lady's massive collateral damage
That what we calling them now?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I think you're all being too hard on Mt. Lady. Sure her collateral damage can rack up, but we have to assume her ability to assess and assuage dangerous situations and keep a firm, tight hold on fine assets is what really draws her fans to her. She seems to be a well rounded hero overall.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't think mount lady gets enough credit. she made her debut in the first chapter, so like a year ago, and she's already considered good enough that they brought her on the bakugo rescue mission, which was supposed to be a crack squad of the best of the best.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
She also got up and protected Midoryia's group after eating a shockwave from All for One.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Mount Lady is strong

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I think you're all being too hard on Mt. Lady. Sure her collateral damage can rack up, but we have to assume her ability to assess and assuage dangerous situations and keep a firm, tight hold on fine assets is what really draws her fans to her. She seems to be a well rounded hero overall.

Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

a firm, tight hold on fine assets

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wasn't he emotionally scarred after working with her?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

chumbler posted:

Wasn't he emotionally scarred after working with her?

That was Midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Good Mineta.