Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There are also a good number weapon blueprints you have to play PvP to build. Some of them even a complete scrub could grind out eventually, but some require you to actually PvP pretty drat well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I liked when the PVP event for Destiny was the hoverbike races. Super fun, got some cool Level 40 gear early, and my bike was hot pink, the fastest max speed, and I put a jalopy horn on it. It was great sideswiping people into death obstacles, and the last thing they hear is my pink-armored dude on his hot pink bike going "AWOOOOO-GAH"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

Because you have to, to progress in PVE.

Not true at all, I've never done trials of osiris and the only time I did PvP was for 2 quests for an exotic weapon and I'm 332 light, I mean sure if you're in a rush to get there then yea, trials is the way to go but if you don't really care then it doesn't matter, ultimately the only reason to have high light is for trials or iron banner and if you don't care about any of that 320 will do just fine for the hard mode raid and nightfalls.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

thecluckmeme posted:

I liked when the PVP event for Destiny was the hoverbike races. Super fun, got some cool Level 40 gear early, and my bike was hot pink, the fastest max speed, and I put a jalopy horn on it. It was great sideswiping people into death obstacles, and the last thing they hear is my pink-armored dude on his hot pink bike going "AWOOOOO-GAH"

And they never brought those back despite people on their forums begging them to.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I generally liked PvP well enough here and there in Destiny, but holy christ were there some times that were just pure misery. Most of those being parts of quests to do up exotic weapons.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nuebot posted:

You have this thing called Light which is an average of all your items levels. You can do a raid like once a week, a raid will drop like one or two items at the light level cap if you're lucky. The other main ways to get items with high light is limited to PVP events that happen every month.

what the... gently caress

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea SRL was a great PvE alternative to PvP, you got progress toward crucible, you could even do some crucible counties that just required wins, even a few PvP quests by just racing it was pretty neat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SciFiDownBeat posted:

what the... gently caress

As other people mentioned, exotic weapons are a great example. After you beat the storyline you get a sword. Then there's a quest to get an Exotic Sword which is arguably one of the best heavy weapons in the game, depending on the situation you can use them to kill most bosses in record time. To get them you have to kill a large number of players in PVP matches using your sword. Swords use heavy ammo. Heavy ammo spawns once per match in PVP. Have fun with that. Several other exotic weapons are gated behind PVP quest lines as well.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

As other people mentioned, exotic weapons are a great example. After you beat the storyline you get a sword. Then there's a quest to get an Exotic Sword which is arguably one of the best heavy weapons in the game, depending on the situation you can use them to kill most bosses in record time. To get them you have to kill a large number of players in PVP matches using your sword. Swords use heavy ammo. Heavy ammo spawns once per match in PVP. Have fun with that. Several other exotic weapons are gated behind PVP quest lines as well.

You can get kills with the hilt which was what most people did.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nuebot posted:

You're kind of burying the lead here, which is that a sword uses ammo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah a gunsword like ff8, the worst ff of them all

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Man, if you'd worked in an "I wanted orange and they gave lemon-lime" joke
I don't know what that means.

Perestroika posted:

Honestly, just remove snipers from every multiplayer shooter ever. Snipers are a garbage mechanic in almost every MP game they're featured in.
In highschool there was a LAN group I used to go to sometimes, and they'd pretty much always play Counterstrike. Almost everyone would sit around trying to snipe each other the whole match. It was fun to run around with a shotgun and shoot them from behind, but of course they didn't like the maps where that was easy to do.

One time they agreed to play Team Fortress. They all picked Sniper, and after one round they decided that the game was no good and went back to Counterstrike.

So basically what I'm saying is that I agree.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what that means.

It's the maintenance man. He knows I prefer orange.

It's a conversation on one of your visits to UNATCO. Gunther is convinced that there's a vending machine conspiracy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm trying to keep on playing LISA because my friend keeps insisting it's a cool, fun game but oh man. Perma-death party members is zero fun, a lot of bosses can just kill your party members forever. Was it a character you liked and took time to level up? Well, gently caress you. It also has a really annoying mechanic where your character will just get a drug withdrawal status effect that basically halves his health and makes him do zero damage until you find somewhere to rest. The status effect is gone for maybe five minutes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

Deus Ex's gameplay is crappy. It was outdated even when it had just come out. The guns are not fun to shoot, the button-activated augmentations are cumbersome and clunky to use, the individual limb damage system serves almost no purpose, and the stealth is incredibly basic. It's a shame, because in most other areas it's a pretty good game.

Mods don't totally fix DX1, but they help an awful lot, particularly for aug management.

I'm really glad the visually spruced-up version has the two most popular mods baked right in.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nuebot posted:

I'm trying to keep on playing LISA because my friend keeps insisting it's a cool, fun game but oh man. Perma-death party members is zero fun, a lot of bosses can just kill your party members forever. Was it a character you liked and took time to level up? Well, gently caress you. It also has a really annoying mechanic where your character will just get a drug withdrawal status effect that basically halves his health and makes him do zero damage until you find somewhere to rest. The status effect is gone for maybe five minutes.

LISA strikes me as one of those games where the difficulty is just ridiculously excessive and any actual enjoyment is memetic.

That game never did click with me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

You can get kills with the hilt which was what most people did.

Yeah, that's what I did. I did it in an FFA mode, but I saw a ton of people doing it in team modes where they'd go like 3/14 and lose the game for their team.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

LISA strikes me as one of those games where the difficulty is just ridiculously excessive and any actual enjoyment is memetic.

It's enjoyable up until you get into a fight. It's weird because most enemies have low health but they'll do like a third of your characters' HP with each hit. But sometimes they'll spend the whole fight doing nothing. There's also no real guidance so you might just take a wrong turn, or try to backtrack to a savepoint, and wind up fighting a guy with 1000 HP when your average damage is 20 and does half your health with every hit.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, that's what I did. I did it in an FFA mode, but I saw a ton of people doing it in team modes where they'd go like 3/14 and lose the game for their team.

It's also worth mentioning that there's no real indication hilt kills count until you try it. For any other mission that requires you to get sword kills in PVE missions, hilt kills don't give you sword credit. Unless they've changed that since I last tried.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

poptart_fairy posted:

That's part of the charm. LISA is a miserable game, in a miserable world with miserable characters and it's right that you should feel miserable playing it. I slept in the wrong spot and one of my party members ran away. I slept at another bad spot and he was kidnapped. When I went to get him he was executed and they cut my arm off. Now I don't do nearly as much damage and my party is made up of useless weirdos. I want to give up, go home, and take enough joy to burn out of existence, and thus I've reached a level of empathetic singularity with Brad. A beautiful game.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Perestroika posted:

Honestly, just remove snipers from every multiplayer shooter ever. Snipers are a garbage mechanic in almost every MP game they're featured in.

This. Snipers are almost always hilariously unbalanced, and can basically be summed up as "the lazy person's WIN button". They have sucked since Team Fortress was a mod for Quake and still suck now.

But really - the worst thing about ANY MP game is: pubbies. Playing with your friends is about a billion times more fun, and pubbies ruin almost everything. In the extraordinarily rare instance I have found a pubbie who is A - a good player and B - not a dipshit - I send them a friend request. But that's so rare they might as well be unicorns.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

HaB posted:

pubbies.

What is this? Are pubbies random people you play with online?

I tried playing Counterstrike online, once. The very first thing I did was mute the screeching homophobia ratcheting through four dollar microphones with the gain maxed out and possibly the microphone actually INSIDE their prepubescant mouths. But they were multi-taskers; they weren't just spewing it over the voice thing, they were also spamming the chat thing with it. I know, I think this is a tired cliche, Counterstrike people being eleven year old homophobes, but I had no idea. I was really taken aback. I played with a few friends sometimes, but -- and this isn't just Counterstrike; I only use that example because it was the worst offender, but really any game that allows random people to play with each other. I feel like I'm part of an endangered species of men whose balls have dropped but still want to play video games.

Edit: Oh, wait, the point I'm trying to make here, is "pubbies" like, someone who plays on a public speaker, or does it have something to do with puberty, or lack thereof? Because I think it could go either way.

Or you're talking about a pug / pitbull mix, maybe.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Pubbies are random people online. Like public game.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

credburn posted:

What is this? Are pubbies random people you play with online?

I tried playing Counterstrike online, once. The very first thing I did was mute the screeching homophobia ratcheting through four dollar microphones with the gain maxed out and possibly the microphone actually INSIDE their prepubescant mouths. But they were multi-taskers; they weren't just spewing it over the voice thing, they were also spamming the chat thing with it. I know, I think this is a tired cliche, Counterstrike people being eleven year old homophobes, but I had no idea. I was really taken aback. I played with a few friends sometimes, but -- and this isn't just Counterstrike; I only use that example because it was the worst offender, but really any game that allows random people to play with each other. I feel like I'm part of an endangered species of men whose balls have dropped but still want to play video games.

Those are pubbies. 11 year old homophobe is merely a subspecies. See also: people who stream their music over voice chat, people who have whatever movie/tv show they are watching so loud that the sound streams over voice chat, etc. They also play every game - no matter what variation - like it's plain old Deathmatch. So good luck if you are playing something which requires teamwork: Capture the Flag, Take and Hold, etc. Because they will NOT do it, no matter what because K/D ratios, niggerfaggotcockbitch

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Yeah a gunsword like ff8, the worst ff of them all
It's probably 2 or 3 for actual worst, but 8 is definitely bottom three for me. It is not a good game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's probably 2 or 3 for actual worst, but 8 is definitely bottom three for me. It is not a good game.

Whether or not 8 is good depends entirely on your mindset the first time you play it, I think. If you went in expecting it to be a good game because you played FF7 or something then you'll probably hate it. If you went in expecting it to be poo poo and you knew the whole game worked wrong then you probably wouldn't hate it because it was stupid and funny. But I also have poo poo taste in games and don't hate FFXIII.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i got great enjoyment in gta 5 online from finding pubbies with their microphone constantly on in-game, following them on my motorcycle in passive mode indefinitely honking my horn, and hearing my own horn through my microphone headset while they complained about it

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
How can you monsters hate a game that lets you--completely straight-faced--launch a dog from your arm like a rocket?

Y'all some crazy fools, FFVIII owns

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

How can you monsters hate a game that lets you--completely straight-faced--launch a dog from your arm like a rocket?

Y'all some crazy fools, FFVIII owns

Well it's better than FFIII. That's pretty much the best thing I can say about it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!

Mr E posted:

Well it's better than FFIII. That's pretty much the best thing I can say about it.

...I liked FFIII... The remake, at least. It's not the best, but it has its charm.

I respect FFVIII for, if nothing else, being so very clearly not just a slavish followup. It would've been so very easy to just do FFVII again (which itself was mostly just FFVI again with a bunch of pieces swapped around), to follow up their greatest success with just more of the same... but no. They decided to follow it up with something wild, weird and insane, with the series' weirdest progression system by far and a story that seems to literally lose itself to madness near the end.

To me, Final Fantasy is a series built on not just copying itself. Every single one is ambitious and trying its best to be its own thing, and regardless of whether or not it succeeds I love that they kept trying. VIII failed miserably at being weird and experimental, but it tried to be weird and experimental at exactly the best time for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

To me, Final Fantasy is a series built on not just copying itself. Every single one is ambitious and trying its best to be its own thing, and regardless of whether or not it succeeds I love that they kept trying. VIII failed miserably at being weird and experimental, but it tried to be weird and experimental at exactly the best time for it.

This is why I like playing FF games - each of them is something new. Sometimes they succeed in some areas, sometimes they fail in others, but it's almost never just more of the same.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I made it through the first two bosses in Furi, but the third one (the old man manipulating time) is just plain annoying. I can't quite get the parry timing down on the fourth form. That's not the thing dragging the fight down; the thing dragging the fight down is the third form, which isn't difficult to do, but takes 10 minutes to get through. The way the game is structured, the second, third, and fourth forms need to be done in one go, and failing the fourth forces me to do the third again. It's not fun, it's not challenging, it's just boring.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Digirat posted:

Because battlefield bad company 2 is a good game, the best way to play the wookie class is ironically to pack a shotgun, throw motion balls and destroy people on the front line with the rest of your team. Or if not a shotgun, just a sniper rifle without a scope, blasting people away with your M95 at knife range

Rockin the VSS all day, every day.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Complaining about pubbies is the quickest way to identify humorless asshats who take a game way too seriously and are miserable to play with.

Nuebot posted:

You can get like 30 party members in LISA, it's built around its permadeath and if you don't accept that and constantly savescum to try and save everyone you're going to have a miserable time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Mann posted:

Complaining about pubbies is the quickest way to identify humorless asshats who take a game way too seriously and are miserable to play with.
Or people who just play casually and don't care for the hyper-competitive attitude of people who seem to play 24/7.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Witcher 3 is excellent and all, but it has what I call superfluous RPG elements. There are loads of lovingly-modeled suits of armour that you can wear but you never will, because most players will stick to the same four sets of Witcher gear. You can slot in runes in your gear for bonuses like "+5% to cause bleeding" that will hardly make a difference in combat because you will tear through thousands of enemies no quicker than usual. For all the fancy stats on a weapon you'll just pick the one sword that does the most damage. It feels like makers want to make an old-school stat-heavy RPG so hard that they add in all this fluff to hide the fact that the core game-play is pretty simple ARRG fare.

It reminds of shooters that try to spice up progression with bonuses like "Bullet Damage +3%".

I feel like most action RPGs have this problem. Dark Souls 3, by pushing the system to limits, reveals that it's never been a very deep game at all, just one that's hard enough that you have to make an effort to learn it.

You know what action game has the best level-up system I've ever seen? Nuclear Throne. There are I think a couple dozen mutations (the upgrades you take at level up), of which you can take 8, and they're all very significant. There's one that gives you +4 max HP (most characters start with 8); that's the only thing in the game that will modify your max HP. Others give you similarly big stat increases (double ammo capacity, double damage with lasers, -20% enemy max HP) and there are others that give you whole separate things, like the ability to bash through a certain number of walls per level, improved special moves that are different for every character, contact damage on enemies who touch you (and it's a lot of damage, but it's a shooting game, so this is risky), random HP recovery on kills, etc.

This is a short roguelike game so it's got more leeway to make you stronger faster than a 30 hour epic or something. But still!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I really enjoyed Severed a lot! It was fruit ninja meets RPG meets bizarre carnivore world with Guacamelee art. Cool!

Two things:
- Getting around was kind of annoying. The game is in first person, you can turn 90 degrees left or right, and walk forward. That's it. It allowed for some alright puzzles and I think it's a decent movement method for exploration, but this game rewards you heavily for backtracking, and as soon as you start doing that it quickly becomes a massive chore.
- The ending. It explained literally nothing! The draw of the game's plot was that you're thrust into this mystery universe and you're trying to sort out what the hell is going on, and by the end of the game you're still asking all of the same questions. It doesn't even explain who lopped off your arm! I can enjoy a sense of "figure it out yourself" or "leave it ambiguous" but this didn't really scratch either itch for me, it just felt like I existed in a weird world for a bit and know absolutely nothing about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

credburn posted:

That's part of the charm. LISA is a miserable game, in a miserable world with miserable characters and it's right that you should feel miserable playing it. I slept in the wrong spot and one of my party members ran away. I slept at another bad spot and he was kidnapped. When I went to get him he was executed and they cut my arm off. Now I don't do nearly as much damage and my party is made up of useless weirdos. I want to give up, go home, and take enough joy to burn out of existence, and thus I've reached a level of empathetic singularity with Brad. A beautiful game.

I find this incredibly fascinating even if it's not something I'd personally enjoy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I played LISA for 5 minutes but I gave up because the core gameplay was just non-existent. I'm so sick of developers that think their super special edgy writing and story justify an utter lack of compelling gameplay. I don't care if the point of LISA is to be depressing, if I want to feel depressed I'll go watch The Road and only waste 2 hours rather than 20+.

swamp waste posted:

I feel like most action RPGs have this problem. Dark Souls 3, by pushing the system to limits, reveals that it's never been a very deep game at all, just one that's hard enough that you have to make an effort to learn it.

What do you mean by "pushing the system to its limits?" I'd argue the combat in the Souls series is among the most refined and fun in the entire genre.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I played LISA for 5 minutes but I gave up because the core gameplay was just non-existent. I'm so sick of developers that think their super special edgy writing and story justify an utter lack of compelling gameplay. I don't care if the point of LISA is to be depressing, if I want to feel depressed I'll go watch The Road and only waste 2 hours rather than 20+.

don't watch The Road, it's poo poo, read the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SciFiDownBeat posted:

is this how people felt when i didnt like gone home