Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've seen things you batpeople wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the tannhauser gate, which is where they are going to kill Martha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Like Roy, Batman is an overgrown boy that literally doesn't know his own strength.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Superman is Deckard and Batman is Roy Batty. To expand beyond the superficial of a fight between wildly unmatched opponents in an abandoned hotel/apartment building, the more vulnerable of the two abandons his lust for killing when he reveals he's deluded by fear.

Thanks, I wasn't quite connecting the last bit and I knew there was more to it than the basic reading of two dudes fighting in a ruined building.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I can definitely see where the Knightmare fight against all the SuperSWAT goons looks overly choreographed in the sense that you have loads of guys standing around with guns doing nothing. I think it could have worked a bit better with a tighter frame. Most of it is in a fairly wide shot so that "stand around and wait for a beatdown" aspect is more noticeable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What you asked was whether or not it's fair to call movies bad if people don't like it.

Which is irrelevant and nonsense.

What? No, I'd say overall it's a pretty good metric. Or are we only gauging the quality of films based on what you yourself like? Re-read what you just wrote and listen to yourself.

There's plenty of unpopular movies I like and plenty of popular ones I dislike, but ultimately that makes ME the outlier, not the arbiter.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If we just go by which movies are popular, there would be no discussion because popularity is easily quantified. When a movie makes a billion dollars, its hard to argue that it was unpopular. Should we then stop all debate about how good or bad it was?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

If we just go by which movies are popular, there would be no discussion because popularity is easily quantified. When a movie makes a billion dollars, its hard to argue that it was unpopular. Should we then stop all debate about how good or bad it was?

Unfortunately, no. 'Popularity' has nothing to do with being popular.

In order to qualify as 'popular', a movie needs to make maximum profit, get a rottentomatoe score of 70% or higher, and placate nerds (generating no derisive memes).

Dawn Of Justice is popular - it made just shy of a billion dollars and continues to be widely debated - but not 'popular'. People everywhere are laughing at petulant Batman, and that's not allowed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

Assuming you're addressing me, no, and that's not what I was trying to say at all. Simply that, over time, and taken at face value, if you make a list of the top 100 highest grossing films of all time (adjusted for inflation) by and large it's a pretty god damned impressive list of good films. There are several I don't like for sure but that has more to do with my taste than them being objectively good or bad.

The guy I was addressing seemed to be implying that "grades" and "popularity" don't count for poo poo and I think they certainly do. It's not the end all and be all, no question. Like, I'm not saying "Thriller", "Purple Rain" or "Dark Side of the Moon" are the greatest records ever made but they're pretty loving good by any measurable standard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I can definitely see where the Knightmare fight against all the SuperSWAT goons looks overly choreographed in the sense that you have loads of guys standing around with guns doing nothing. I think it could have worked a bit better with a tighter frame. Most of it is in a fairly wide shot so that "stand around and wait for a beatdown" aspect is more noticeable.

They're clearly there to capture Batman, doing nothing because their compatriots have the situation handled. I don't think the framing of that scene is an accident.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Would anyone be interested in a concept art thread? I wrote up an OP rough draft for one.

Alternatively, does a thread for that already exist? I went back a few pages and didn't see it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Assuming you're addressing me, no, and that's not what I was trying to say at all. Simply that, over time, and taken at face value, if you make a list of the top 100 highest grossing films of all time (adjusted for inflation) by and large it's a pretty god damned impressive list of good films. There are several I don't like for sure but that has more to do with my taste than them being objectively good or bad.

The guy I was addressing seemed to be implying that "grades" and "popularity" don't count for poo poo and I think they certainly do. It's not the end all and be all, no question. Like, I'm not saying "Thriller", "Purple Rain" or "Dark Side of the Moon" are the greatest records ever made but they're pretty loving good by any measurable standard.

People often buy things and consume things that they don't have strong opinions about. Then there's the problem that there's a larger movie-going population in the 21st century. Trying to use the box office as an way to measure "goodness" is slap-dash methodology.

There's no need to invent a cockamamie contraption that measures movie "goodness". This isn't science. You just talk about movies.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

McSpanky posted:

They're clearly there to capture Batman, doing nothing because their compatriots have the situation handled. I don't think the framing of that scene is an accident.

Actually, yeah. That's a good point. I'd kind of forgotten that they explicitly try to restrain him and lose a few guys in the process before the parademon cold clocks him. I'll rescind that point

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Like Roy, Batman is an overgrown boy that literally doesn't know his own strength.

But like Deckard, if Batman had a wife around she'd probably call him a cold fish.

Violator
May 15, 2003

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Would anyone be interested in a concept art thread? I wrote up an OP rough draft for one.

Alternatively, does a thread for that already exist? I went back a few pages and didn't see it.

Yes please!

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Violator posted:

Yes please!

Good enough for me.

Done.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Are there sales numbers for The Dark Knight Returns and similarly "iconic" stories? Even if it's comparing apples to oranges it would be kind of funny if BvS made more money than the comic nerds insist it misrepresented.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Grendels Dad posted:

Are there sales numbers for The Dark Knight Returns and similarly "iconic" stories? Even if it's comparing apples to oranges it would be kind of funny if BvS made more money than the comic nerds insist it misrepresented.

Of course it did.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Well, if the movie made more money than the comics it's better than the comics, right?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
What makes you think the crowd that focuses on artistic integrity of an adaptation are the same as the folks that use popularity as a barometer, or at least that they overlap to a strong degree?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

What makes you think the crowd that focuses on artistic integrity of an adaptation are the same as the folks that use popularity as a barometer, or at least that they overlap to a strong degree?

I don't understand the question. There is a bit of overlap between people bemoaning the lack of fidelity to source material in movies like BvS and people who think success is an indicator of quality. My post was intended to poke fun at them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grendels Dad posted:

Well, not really relevant but for a long time, the best selling DC trade paperback ever was Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On A Serious Earth, specifically because it was the most prominent Batman GN when Batman '89 came out. No cross promotion, but comics weren't as niche as they are now. It still sells but DKR and Watchmen are the real perennials, to the degree that Watchmen has appeared a couple times on the NYT bestsellers list.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Well, not really relevant but for a long time, the best selling DC trade paperback ever was Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On A Serious Earth, specifically because it was the most prominent Batman GN when Batman '89 came out. No cross promotion, but comics weren't as niche as they are now. It still sells but DKR and Watchmen are the real perennials, to the degree that Watchmen has appeared a couple times on the NYT bestsellers list.

I knew about Watchmen but never really thought about what being on the Time's bestsellers list meant, numbers-wise. I will have to look that up sometime. When lazily googling for sales numbers before, I saw articles claiming that DKR's numbers increased due to BvS so at least that's something the movie's detractors could be thankful for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They always do special trades for whatever movies are out but the perennials like DKR and Watchmen always bump, it seems like.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

They always do special trades for whatever movies are out but the perennials like DKR and Watchmen always bump, it seems like.

Watchmen became a very popular book in college lit classrooms which helps

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Marvel has no equivalent with the same cachet. A lot of people feel like the fact that Watchmen is about superhero comics makes it impenetrable and insular but that exact thing makes it stand out, it's very well positioned as the alpha and omega if you don't want to bother reading any other superhero comics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Marvel has no equivalent with the same cachet. A lot of people feel like the fact that Watchmen is about superhero comics makes it impenetrable and insular but that exact thing makes it stand out, it's very well positioned as the alpha and omega if you don't want to bother reading any other superhero comics.

I feel like the closest thing Marvel had was the Epic line in the '80s but that's something only true dorks know about

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
For some reason my corner store still has an unbelievably large number of X-Men: Apocalypse energy drinks. They've cleared out all their BvS Doritos and most of their Finding Dory merch already but they've still got giant walls of X-Men drinks all over the place:

I guess slapping a photo of a sad, bald crippled guy on your energy drinks doesn't help sales??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Buy them and wait ten years so you can sell them on Ebay.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There was a gas station around here that was filling soda with Dark Knight cups well into 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Squadron Supreme is little bit like Marvel's Watchmen

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

There was a gas station around here that was filling soda with Dark Knight cups well into 2013

I hope they quietly add "Rises" to them in 2012.

Hollismason posted:

Marvel also added Hyperion and probably the other Squadron members to Earth-616 before DC introduced Dr Manhattan into their main comic universe.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 5, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

SS is really, really good but it absolutely is by a superhero comics fan for superhero comics fans.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like the closest thing Marvel had was the Epic line in the '80s but that's something only true dorks know about

I have two of the Epic Akira comics: the one where Neo-Tokyo is destroyed and the one where Tetsuo wrecks the Moon.

I'm keeping them forever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

SS is really, really good but it absolutely is by a superhero comics fan for superhero comics fans.

Yeah , I just meant trying to realize the troubles of actual superheroes. It's completely different in tone and story. It at least though makes the attempt at exploring superheroism.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

An idiot director wasting his time and ours:

Or it can humanize an alien having alien problems:

You're arguing against the very concept of 2D composition because you think it was used wrong in your example.

Did this thread just spend 2 pages mistaking a shot from Thor with Blade Runner because :lol:

"Congratulations, you played yourself."

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 5, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like Mark Gruenwald but even I found that miniseries somewhat impenetrable.

How did you feel about Straczynski's reboot?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It sucks balls, like everything JMS has written since Babylon 5.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It sucks balls, like everything JMS has written since Babylon 5.

I actually reread it recently and think it holds up really well for the most part. What didn't you like about it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This is a great idea. I'd love to do a Dune effortpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually reread it recently and think it holds up really well for the most part. What didn't you like about it?

The strongest stuff is related to Nighthawk and Power Princess. Anything to do with Hyperion and later Redstone is horrendous. The rest is completely middling. It's definitely of it's time, and just like Rising Stars, it always comes off like cut rate Millar or Ellis.

• Locked thread