Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

theflyingorc posted:

Speaking of Trump's Taco Tweet...

I've seen multiple instances from Conservatives on Facebook saying "See, the Democrats are the REAL RACISTS" because of the E-mail where they used the phrase "taco bowl engagement" to mock Trump.

I was told on FB the other day that Democrats are the real racists because we want to keep minorities in 'virtual fiscal slavery.'

Yes, not wanting poor people to starve is really a ploy to keep minorities on the dole. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

theflyingorc posted:

I've seen multiple instances from Conservatives on Facebook saying "See, the Democrats are the REAL RACISTS" because of the E-mail where they used the phrase "taco bowl engagement" to mock Trump.

It's super annoying because it's actually fairly complex to explain why they weren't racist, Trump was.

A simple reubttal is to say "Actually the Democrats were just mocking this thing Trump did:" and then link the taco bowl tweet. It's not going to change any minds of course, but the response could be interesting.

Speaking of things that are being misrepresented, what's the latest on Hillary saying she'll raise taxes on the middle class? I just assumed she misspoke, but I see people claiming her campaign has not corrected or retracted the statement. However, her official tax plan, which does not raise middle class taxes, does not seem to have been changed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

That situation is so bizarre to me, but maybe I'm not familiar enough with how these types of medals are handled. Do folks sometimes gift them to other people? Regardless it seems like a terrible political move to accept a purple heart from someone (even if it's a copy...are there really copies?), but then to be all like "sweet, I always wanted a purple heart" just seems so hosed up.

Sometimes veterans try and give you one of their medals as a show of support. Purple hearts are the most common because they're the most common medal so are in the most hands, especially among older people alive during the draft. The response is to always thank them for their service and politely tell them you can't accept the medal as you didn't earn it. You sure as all gently caress don't proudly display it while talking about how your draft dodging rear end always wanted one of them there medals.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mountaineer posted:

A simple reubttal is to say "Actually the Democrats were just mocking this thing Trump did:" and then link the taco bowl tweet. It's not going to change any minds of course, but the response could be interesting.

Speaking of things that are being misrepresented, what's the latest on Hillary saying she'll raise taxes on the middle class? I just assumed she misspoke, but I see people claiming her campaign has not corrected or retracted the statement. However, her official tax plan, which does not raise middle class taxes, does not seem to have been changed.

So long as Trump is imploding in a media flooding spectacle, there's no reason to fix any misstatements on Clinton's part. Nobody heard the original statement, let alone noticed the misstatement. Correcting the record only increases the chance someone notices.

Breitbart and the right-wing media outrage machine don't count.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LeeMajors posted:

I was told on FB the other day that Democrats are the real racists because we want to keep minorities in 'virtual fiscal slavery.'

Yes, not wanting poor people to starve is really a ploy to keep minorities on the dole. :rolleyes:

My favorite is being asked, "How much are they paying you?"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

iospace posted:

I half expect these people to show up at my office with a giant novelty check.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Trump is the human embodiment of a *reads 48 laws of power once* meme

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

straight up brolic posted:

Trump is the human embodiment of a *reads 48 laws of power once* meme

A what meme?

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Mountaineer posted:

They were mocking this on Chris Hayes last night. It's from a rally where she says "we aren't going to raise taxes on the middle class." Due to her accent "aren't" comes out like "ARnt" and the Trump ad subtitles it "are." The immediately preceding line is about making the tax rules for the middle class fairer, plus the fact that the crowd loving cheers makes it one of the most deceptive ads I have ever seen.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
https://mic.com/articles/150640/donald-trump-donations-how-to-stop-recurring-payments-credit-cards

Have we shat on Donald Dunce for this yet? There's no apparant way to stop a recurring monthly donation once you give his campaign your credit card information.

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 5, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

iospace posted:

Just ask how much Trump's paying them :shrug:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Crow Jane posted:

Just ask how much Trump's paying them :shrug:
Nah that's just when you lean over and whisper that they're not paying you anything, but they are letting you live.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pleasing Shape posted:

They were mocking this on Chris Hayes last night. It's from a rally where she says "we aren't going to raise taxes on the middle class." Due to her accent "aren't" comes out like "ARnt" and the Trump ad subtitles it "are." The immediately preceding line is about making the tax rules for the middle class fairer, plus the fact that the crowd loving cheers makes it one of the most deceptive ads I have ever seen.

For anyone who wants to see the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ua13_gYQn0

I have to admit that I heard "are", but my assumption is that she meant to say something other than "upper class", because the whole content of what she said before hand was the exact opposite of that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
as a georgian, as much as i love the current polling that shows georgia tilting blue, i really doubt it will happen this cycle. soon, but not this time. georgia will be the first deep south state to go blue

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pleasing Shape posted:

They then play it back in slow motion, including the cheers which sound like boos when artificially slowed down.

iospace posted:

A what meme?

https://www.amazon.com/48-Laws-Power-Robert-Greene/dp/0140280197

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popular Thug Drink posted:

as a georgian, as much as i love the current polling that shows georgia tilting blue, i really doubt it will happen this cycle. soon, but not this time. georgia will be the first deep south state to go blue

I can see Hillary sending the Virginia and Colorado ad money there and Arizona, maybe to do some probing. If it has a good reception (aka favorable polls), I can see the campaign ramping up there.

Thank you.

That being said, you notice how Trump seems to roll out the same loving talking point against Hillary every day? Like it's somehow going to work this time?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

That situation is so bizarre to me, but maybe I'm not familiar enough with how these types of medals are handled. Do folks sometimes gift them to other people? Regardless it seems like a terrible political move to accept a purple heart from someone (even if it's a copy...are there really copies?), but then to be all like "sweet, I always wanted a purple heart" just seems so hosed up.

Like most things in the military the medals don't really mean much it's the paperwork that is important. For example I've got two of these laying around because they wanted to do a big award ceremony when we got back from deployment but I had actually already gotten mine in the hospital... they were just like "welp now you have two".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

I can see Hillary sending the Virginia and Colorado ad money there and Arizona, maybe to do some probing. If it has a good reception (aka favorable polls), I can see the campaign ramping up there.

the demographics aren't great. probably about 45% of georgia is dem voters, mostly minority voters, and as georgia becomes less white it will (if party alignment continues along color lines and the GOP doesn't cave on the white racist vote) become more dem. problem is that younger and poorer folks don't turn up as often to vote as the old white people do. a whole lot of georgia is rural white people who aren't going to be as receptive to hillary, but then again georgia also has a shitload of veterans so if trump keeps it up with gaffes like khaaaaaaan! and the purple heart thing then i dunno

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

The best part of this op-ed is that it confirms the "gently caress the White House correspondents dinner" story.

Hillary is such a bad rear end and the more time goes by, the more I realize that any negative feelings I had about her were due to being indoctrinated by the multi-decade campaign against her. I was dumb and wrong to hold those opinions :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We're screwed guys. Of 117,000 people on a wikileaks Twitter poll (a much larger sample than liberal polling firms), 50% are voting for Donald. RIP America.

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/761375580910563328

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Robert Greene is in the PUA scene. He has another book called Seduction. He tries to act like a super mastermind that manipulates people with ease.

He claims to read the Art of War all the time to get his divine inspiration or something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Whoever posted the Newsweek article in here, it's a good read on how good of a 'businessman' Trump actually is.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/08/12/donald-trumps-business-failures-election-2016-486091.html

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

The best part of this op-ed is that it confirms the "gently caress the White House correspondents dinner" story.

That's amazing. I love mi abuela. :abuela:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Luigi Thirty posted:

We're screwed guys. Of 117,000 people on a wikileaks Twitter poll (a much larger sample than liberal polling firms), 50% are voting for Donald. RIP America.

It's been posted but it's also effectively a confession by wikileaks that they're in the tank for Putin's BFF Trump.

It's an internet poll of a site that Libertarians love with the Libertarian option coming in last.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Taerkar posted:

It's been posted but it's also effectively a confession by wikileaks that they're in the tank for Putin's BFF Trump.

It's an internet poll of a site that Libertarians love with the Libertarian option coming in last.

We knew that already - but, what are you suggesting, exactly? That they fudged the numbers? They don't run Twitter's polling mechanisms, it posts the data it got.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

What are you talking about? Libertarians don't run twitter. Twitter is for White Nationalist trolls and leftist infighting.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

It's a philosopher working with perfect spheres, not a political engineer. Your criticisms fail to address how we went from 16 hour days to 8 hour days for most of the workforce though, which is the main point of his essay. He is talking about scaling amount of work with productivity in a sane way which doesn't create more unemployment, not solving existing unemployment.

The issue here is that it was brought up in the context of the thread with the statement of "we already know what the solution is to this problem [of people losing jobs to increased automation], and it's not smashing the machines so we can all be gainfully employed churning our own butter". The article makes a strong argument for why we should value leisure, for explaining why many people value work instead, and why we really shouldn't value work; these are the main points the article itself focuses on and in these regards it succeeds (and for what it's worth the article was also brought up in part to address 'old style' workers complaining about having less work to do). As a realistic argument for how to fix the current issue of automation advancing so far that it doesn't just reduce work hours, but outright 100% replaces manual labor positions without also creating an equal or greater number of jobs it fails. Going from 16 hours to 8 hours during the Industrial Revolution was a matter of people working far too long because that is what they were used to and expected even though machines made it easier for them to perform their jobs in half the time - it is not really comparable to the current situation of machines being so good that they don't just reduce the work required in jobs, they fully replace the jobs in their entirety without creating as many new jobs in the process (unless you make a ton of vaguely managerial jobs which aren't really required, but that goes against the greater argument that work shouldn't be done for the sake of having work).

The entire line upon which his argument spins for a modern-day reduction of 8 hours down to 4 hours (which isn't even the issue at play in this thread's discussion to begin with as the current, real-world issue is people going from 8 hour jobs to being completely unemployed because they are no longer needed) is "If the ordinary wage-earner worked four hours a day, there would be enough for everybody and no unemployment -- assuming a certain very moderate amount of sensible organization". The only piece of explanation he gives is that "very moderate amount of sensible organization", which is about as vague as you can get; he won't go into details, he can't realistically go into details, and that's fine within the context of the essay because it's a theoretical argument and not at all his focus, but it is absolutely not fine when the content of the article is being referred to in the context of a debate on how to realistically solve unemployment caused by technological advances in the real world outside of the safe philosophy bubble. Within this context, the viability of such a vague and oversimplified solution can and absolutely should be criticized because it is the equivalent of having an argument over how to solve world hunger and having someone reach the conclusion of "It's so simple, we just need to redistribute the wealth by having everyone with money give X amount of money to the poor and then nobody will be poor or hungry as long as it is managed moderately well".

On another topic, Trump's tweet where he apologizes for mistaking the plane he "saw on television" (does this mean the b-roll wasn't even on a video and it was just something he caught while channel surfing?) is immediately followed up with this one: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/761549461893984256

Yes, clearly Hillary Clinton is the one with 'bad judgment' and not the man who just admitted that he mistook one plane he happened to see on television for a completely different one. It really is just so wonderful to see the two tweets side by side like that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just listened to the This American Life that followed a Republican donor from the end of the primaries to June as he waffled on whether or not to donate to Trump. Pro listen.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/591/get-your-moneys-worth

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

weekly font posted:

I just listened to the This American Life that followed a Republican donor from the end of the primaries to June as he waffled on whether or not to donate to Trump. Pro listen.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/591/get-your-moneys-worth

I really want to hear a follow-up with this guy right about now. And that gay black teenager who was supporting Trump.

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

It's super annoying because it's actually fairly complex to explain why they weren't racist, Trump was.

I've seen an additional trend where that email was presented as an example of why democrats are elitists. Still waiting for a coherent explanation as to how mocking Trump is elitist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ggreeneva/status/761590766334386176

Cool you can see the exact moment when his brain breaks

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

We knew that already - but, what are you suggesting, exactly? That they fudged the numbers? They don't run Twitter's polling mechanisms, it posts the data it got.

Today I learned that America is 80% Vietnamese because I want to eat Pho and almost everyone there was Vietnamese.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Bel Shazar posted:

Today I learned that America is 80% Vietnamese because I want to eat Pho and almost everyone there was Vietnamese.

Clarification: Their numbers are obviously not representative of American public opinion. I took stats, I know how random sampling works and why it's important. My point is that - actually, on second thought, my point is mere quibbling and this is a foolish line of argument.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The democrats banned dumpster pools. Is there even freedom in this country?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/761573208667648002

Which parts of other countries did we let Iran annex?

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Luigi Thirty posted:

Christ, the smug ignorance in the replies. Reminds me of the magazine during one of FDRs terms that crowed he would lose in a landslide based on the postcards sent in by their readers. At least back then polling science was an itty bitty baby and a lot of people believed FDR really would lose.

I'd love to hear how PatriotByGod explains how those same :argh:MSM:argh: firms predicted the primaries right. Or, you know, every election in our lifetimes.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

West Bank and the Gaza strip.

Oh wait...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

zoux posted:

This isn't a good look for Obama, considering just yesterday he was saying "The Iran deal worked, just ask Israel!"

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Deadulus posted:

Robert Greene is in the PUA scene. He has another book called Seduction. He tries to act like a super mastermind that manipulates people with ease.

He claims to read the Art of War all the time to get his divine inspiration or something.

One of my friends constantly posts quotes from this book and others by the same author. I'm assuming they're all equally worthless books about how to be Tyrion Lannister without the charm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mahoning posted:

This isn't a good look for Obama, considering just yesterday he was saying "The Iran deal worked, just ask Israel!"

Hmmm might hurt his re election chances.

• Locked thread