Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

zoux posted:

Hmmm might hurt his re election chances.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure Trump and his supporters think Obama and Hillary are the same person :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mahoning posted:

This isn't a good look for Obama, considering just yesterday he was saying "The Iran deal worked, just ask Israel!"

The Israelis are getting antsy because it's been over a year since the last time they dropped white phosphorus on a playground

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I await Schumer's carefully worded tweet with bated breath.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Pleasing Shape posted:

Christ, the smug ignorance in the replies. Reminds me of the magazine during one of FDRs terms that crowed he would lose in a landslide based on the postcards sent in by their readers. At least back then polling science was an itty bitty baby and a lot of people believed FDR really would lose.

I'd love to hear how PatriotByGod explains how those same :argh:MSM:argh: firms predicted the primaries right. Or, you know, every election in our lifetimes.

The strange intersection of 4chan-racists/gamergaters/bernouts who are engaged enough to vote on a Wikileaks Twitter poll have their heads so far up their own asses they exist in their own plane of reality. Everything is a conspiracy, the MSM always lies, Clinton already preemptively stole the November election, God Emperor Donald is wildly popular etc. etc.

Kind of like the old racists who make up the tea party or post on freep, except this bunch have been posting on 4chan/reddit for years and know how to use the internet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/benchmarkpol/status/761596644227813376

Goatman Sacks posted:

The Israelis are getting antsy because it's been over a year since the last time they dropped white phosphorus on a playground

The grass is getting a bit long

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
that pink texas will never stop being hilarious to me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mountaineer posted:

A simple reubttal is to say "Actually the Democrats were just mocking this thing Trump did:" and then link the taco bowl tweet. It's not going to change any minds of course, but the response could be interesting.

Speaking of things that are being misrepresented, what's the latest on Hillary saying she'll raise taxes on the middle class? I just assumed she misspoke, but I see people claiming her campaign has not corrected or retracted the statement. However, her official tax plan, which does not raise middle class taxes, does not seem to have been changed.

Making 5 million dollars a year is "middle class" now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bushiz posted:

It's BS but it's still going to give RNC strategists ulcers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

a shameful boehner posted:

I await Schumer's carefully worded tweet with bated breath.

Banks, Israel, Iran bad.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

The Chicago police are about to release a video of an officer-involved shooting and already warning of potential for "civil unrest":

CNN posted:

(CNN) - Chicago police, in a nationwide conference call and bulletin, warned of "civil unrest" and potential violence against cops following the department's anticipated release of video related to an incident in which a black man was fatally shot in the back, two law enforcement officials said Friday.

The officer violated policy in last week's shooting of 18-year-old Paul O'Neal, the bulletin said.

Sharon Fairley, head of Chicago's police oversight board, described the video in a statement as "shocking and disturbing" and offered her condolences to O'Neal's family and friends.

Fairley said the video can be released without jeopardizing the investigation, even though it will happen before the 60-day period outlined in the city's transparency policy.

The footage "as shocking and disturbing as it is, is not the only evidence to be gathered and analyzed when conducting a fair and thorough assessment of the conduct of police officers in performing their duties," said Fairley, chief administrator of Chicago's Independent Police Review Authority.

The police department released the body and dashcam videos of the shooting at noon Friday. CNN is reviewing the footage.

O'Neal family, which filed federal civil rights lawsuit against the officers, was expected to see the video before it's released to the public. The suit, filed Monday, alleges the officers fired at O'Neal "without lawful justification or excuse."

The nationwide police bulletin said the shooting was "determined to violate their Department policy... Chicago PD anticipates civil unrest."

O'Neal was shot and died from his injuries after leading a police chase through the South Side of Chicago. He had been suspected of stealing a car.

The body camera of the officer who fatally shot O'Neal did not record when he opened fire, police said.

Police shootings highlight concerns about body cameras

The officer who fired the fatal shot was in a car that was struck by the car driven by O'Neal.

Whether the crash had an impact on the camera's ability to record is under investigation, according to police. Investigators are also looking into whether the officer had turned it on.

Three officers have been relieved of their police powers.

The shooting was the latest to highlight the already tenuous relationship between some communities and police.

Fast Facts: Controversial police encounters

Many in the nation's third-largest city are still reeling from the 2014 Laquan McDonald shooting, which left a Chicago officer facing a murder charge after more than a yearlong delay in releasing dashboard camera footage. And earlier this year, a task force established by the mayor released a report accusing the police of widespread racism.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson has told reporters the shooting troubled him.

"If it's an honest mistake, we'll get them training, coaching, mentoring and get them back out there. But if it was intentional misconduct, then they have to be held accountable for it," he told reporters.

Though he cautioned he had not come to any firm conclusions, Johnson said the shooting had left him with "more questions than answers."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/05/us/chicago-police-shooting-video-release/index.html

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

While I highly doubt Texas will actually flip blue this election, it's a sure thing that the margin it goes red will be the lowest in recent history, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crow Jane posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure Trump and his supporters think Obama and Hillary are the same person :ohdear:

And all of those people are locks for Trump. Most people couldn't give a rats rear end about Israel aside from the Right as long as no one is actively invading them because of all the bad will gained from what they do in Gaza and West Bank. But this is a discussion for another thread.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bushiz posted:

If Texas looks like it is going blue, the Texas democrats will have to vote their conscience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

While I highly doubt Texas will actually flip blue this election, it's a sure thing that the margin it goes red will be the lowest in recent history, right?

It was five points in 96.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Are we sure about that? There hasn't been a poll in Texas since Donald was at his high point and he wasn't winning by that much.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

For anyone who wants to see the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ua13_gYQn0

I have to admit that I heard "are", but my assumption is that she meant to say something other than "upper class", because the whole content of what she said before hand was the exact opposite of that.

On top of the whole "aren't" thing, her emPHASIS on the syLLABLES reinforces the "are" interpretation. She makes a positive statement, then a negative statement. She should have emphasized we ARE going to do X, we ARE NOT going to do Y. Instead it sounds like she wants to do both X and Y.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Goatman Sacks posted:

The current government of Israel is probably more hardline fanatical than Iran.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
[quote="weekly font" post="462871845"]
I just listened to the This American Life that followed a Republican donor from the end of the primaries to June as he waffled on whether or not to donate to Trump. Pro listen.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/591/get-your-moneys-worth

I was just listening to that same episode this morning, wondering how that daddy's boy was feeling about his investment now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'll consider it a win if the republicans are forced to spend here to defend it.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It was five points in 96.

it was 3 in 92, both of those were entirely dependent on a hometown spoiler candidate.

Outside of that, this will certainly see the closest margin in Texas since it was a democratic stronghold

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's weird that police body cameras don't work but I can watch someone's GoPro video of them falling down a mountain.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Would that be the first time the Nebraska EV split has paid off for the Democrats?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

Also, pink Mississippi.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Would that be the first time the Nebraska EV split has paid off for the Democrats?

Obama won one in 08

Cythereal posted:

Also, pink Mississippi.

I think a lot of the deep south leans are really being affected by the massive african american voting blocs in those states and how he is pulling unheard of 1 and zero percent polls with that bloc in other states.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Here's video from the Chicago police shooting:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-police-shooting-paul-oneal-video-met-20160805-story.html

It's pretty bad. :stare:

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

What makes Indiana so different that Ohio and Pennsylvania are swing-to-blue states but Indiana is as red as Texas?

Possibly for historical reasons. Unlike the rest of the Midwest, Indiana was settled from the south up, so culturally speaking it's basically North Kentucky. There was an article about this on FiveThirtyEight at one point.

Of course, the other reason is that there's been very little public polling in Indiana recently, so if it were swinging to Clinton we wouldn't know. There's a rumor going around that the Clinton campaign thinks IN is becoming competitive based on internal polls. But maybe that's just spin, who knows.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Here's that video of cops wildly firing at a fleeing suspect in a residential Chicago neighborhood.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

2008, son.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People seem pissed that he lived to be able to sue the city.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

quote:

The shooting itself was not captured on video, department officials said, even though the officer who chased and shot O'Neal was wearing a body camera. Mayor Rahm Emanuel has pointed to body cameras as a tool to build trust in the police; department officials have not said why the camera did not record the shooting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like how is "Do not fire at fleeing cars, this is not Lethal Weapon" not drilled into every police trainee ever.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yoctoontologist posted:

Possibly for historical reasons. Unlike the rest of the Midwest, Indiana was settled from the south up, so culturally speaking it's basically North Kentucky. There was an article about this on FiveThirtyEight at one point.

Of course, the other reason is that there's been very little public polling in Indiana recently, so if it were swinging to Clinton we wouldn't know. There's a rumor going around that the Clinton campaign thinks IN is becoming competitive based on internal polls. But maybe that's just spin, who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of supposedly solid red states are going to get polled soon. GA and Arizona tilting is blood in the water, and considering MSM is in "landslide" mode, they'll want to see just how safe Trump is in states like Indiana, Texas, and Arkansas.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

There is no way Utah is in play. You've got to be kidding me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Riosan posted:

The Mormons really hate Trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Riosan posted:

Mormons loving hate Trump.

Honestly I gotta give it up to Mormons this cycle, with every other religious conservative jettisoning their convictions to talk themselves into voting for Trump, it's been good to see at least one group of Christians actually stand up for their moral principles, however wrong headed they may be.

lol
https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/status/761600506624110592

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Riosan posted:

Mormons seem to really be against Trump.

Say what you will about their sometimes odd ways, they practice what they preach with morality and whatnot, unlike many evangelicals.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Riosan posted:

Mormons can't stand Trump and Johnson is polling well there.

Body cameras, as a whole, are doing multiple things:

1. They're helping police with evidence that their actions were justified.
2. They're helping reduce brutality claims, either by making police more cautious in terms of force used or weeding out people who would claim brutality simply because a cop put cuffs on them (likely both)
3. They seem to mysteriously not work, or release of footage is delayed, when it's possibly a case where brutality was used.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The Mormons really hate Trump.

I'm well aware, just really curious. I didn't expect these reliable Republican voters to apparently all jump ship so quickly. Are the Mormons feeling the Johnson, or will a lot of them simply not vote at all this time around? :psyduck:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Riosan posted:

Mormons hate Trump.

e: ok I will refresh next time, looks like this was covered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jeff Flake has been the most vocal elected official to oppose Trump and he's a Mormon. Romney gave a mid-primary speech warning the GOP about him.

• Locked thread