Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

If polling continues like this what the hell do the GOP leaders do? They can't just let Trump make their party look like a joke, but it sounds like they have no real mechanism to make him stop talking while he's associated with them as their Presidential candidate. I bet the Never-Trumpers are feeling really smug about now.

There's almost no way that Trump is enough of a disaster that it loses them the House. The Republican downticket will abandon ship and repudiate Trump before they let that happen. The Dems will likely barely squeak out Senate control alongside the Presidency, and we hope Hillary works well with the few months of vague control she'll have.

Then the mid terms will probably give much stronger control of the House (dunno about the Senate) back to the Republicans and we'll be right back at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That probably the best idea but the optics of the party not supporting the candidate they nominated have to be pretty bad.

Personally I don't think the GOP is losing either house of congress but man Trump is making them look weak.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pakled posted:

There's no way it's gonna last until election day, but god, that would be the best. I can't wait til my state turns blue.

It...could. If Trump is polling at 0-1% among black voters and the not-insane Republicans jump ship she could absolutely win Georgia.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chin Strap posted:

Y'all need to knock it off with the Now-cast on 538. Polls-plus is the only thing that matters.

Didn't polls-only outperform polls-plus during the primary?

The NowCast is definitely just for fun, though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

Didn't polls-only outperform polls-plus during the primary?

The NowCast is definitely just for fun, though.

Someone was saying (it might've been Nate, can't recall) that polls-plus outperforms polls-only the farther from the election you are, and the closer you get the more the two converge and become the same.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Chin Strap posted:

Y'all need to knock it off with the Now-cast on 538. Polls-plus is the only thing that matters.

ok

http://imgur.com/a/sS5Bx

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Lightning Knight posted:

Someone was saying (it might've been Nate, can't recall) that polls-plus outperforms polls-only the farther from the election you are, and the closer you get the more the two converge and become the same.

Polls plus has some economic indicators and the convention bumps baked in which is why it never flipped to Trump. It knew Trump was going to get a bounce and didn't freak out like we did. :v: Likewise it's still a little cautious on Clinton.

Polls plus also counts the economy as a 50/50 incumbent/challenger which right now means it pushes things just a little in Trump's favour because it doesn't have a "one candidate is crazy" algorithm.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Yeah that's fine but GA is still solidly in the "not bloody likely" category.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Hillary listens to Kendrick Lamar's King Kunta on loop every morning to pump her up while she's on the stairmaster.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The only way we win Georgia and Arizona is if Trump continues at the level he was at on Monday for straight up the rest of the general and completely and utterly flames out in the debates to the point that they can't even say he did well based on low expectations, which we all know isn't going to happen, wishful thinking aside. The Republican voter base is too reprehensible and stupid to retreat from even Trump en masse, and he'll still pull 35-40% on election day regardless.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I wouldn't get your hopes up about the senate or house flipping, or the death of the GOP guys.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/761529974788677632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lightning Knight posted:

The only way we win Georgia and Arizona is if Trump continues at the level he was at on Monday for straight up the rest of the general and completely and utterly flames out in the debates to the point that they can't even say he did well based on low expectations, which we all know isn't going to happen, wishful thinking aside. The Republican voter base is too reprehensible and stupid to retreat from even Trump en masse, and he'll still pull 35-40% on election day regardless.

If Trump pulls less than 40% he losses Arizona and Georgia. Simple as that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the senate or house flipping guys.

gently caress. Pack it in y'all, Trumps making a comeback

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

edrith posted:

she likes ambient black metal because "it's soothing"

Ironically enough, Trump's also pretty into Burzum.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Trump pulls less than 40% he losses Arizona and Georgia. Simple as that.

I mean, something like voter suppression or low Dem turnout in those states could negate that, I suppose. I dunno.

If two weeks from now Georgia and Arizona are still polling that bad, then maybe. But I don't believe Trump will stay that low because there's that many people in this country that are that stupid and/or racist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chin Strap posted:

Polls-only was the model he used for 2012 actually :eng101:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Antti posted:

Polls plus has some economic indicators and the convention bumps baked in which is why it never flipped to Trump. It knew Trump was going to get a bounce and didn't freak out like we did. :v: Likewise it's still a little cautious on Clinton.

Polls plus also counts the economy as a 50/50 incumbent/challenger which right now means it pushes things just a little in Trump's favour because it doesn't have a "one candidate is crazy" algorithm.

I think that last part is why polls only is probably a bit better than polls plus. Trump is such an outlier I think he is going to throw off the scales.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think that last part is why polls only is probably a bit better than polls plus. Trump is such an outlier I think he is going to throw off the scales.

A critical analysis of how polls connected to outcome for this race will be fascinating because we have no historical basis to build a model off of

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Polls-only was the model he used for 2012 actually :eng101:

That's fine too. Just now-cast is dumb.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

That's fine too. Just now-cast is dumb.

Well yeah but its fun to ride the election coaster wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think it all depends on how far Trump collapses in the near future. GOP candidates rebuking him and the media giving up on the horse race this early is a big red flag that he's nearing the point of no return. A decent politician could turn things around from here, but Trump's reaction to pressure is to flip out and make things worse for himself, so I could see his death spiral get worse.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Interesting

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/761611705457713152

This may partly explain why that Latino poll in Florida only showed around 17% of hispanics supporting Trump, while in that other general poll of Florida he was getting around 30%.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

:ironicat: indeed.

If you read the article I posted it's specifically about a case where initially the police officer in question was indefinitely suspended for killing an unarmed man, but then was rescinded because of pressure from the local Police Officer's Association.

They haven't been punished yet. Getting suspended while a review is on-going isn't a punishment, just like how getting fired isn't an adequate punishment for homicide. In the current climate of police shootings you don't get to act like being distrustful of internal inquiries is some outrageous position. Especially when once again the police cameras were off and this was the situation until recently as per the article:

Great that, according to the article, they are trying to turn this around but these guys have not been punished. I will admit I am wrong if they are but as of now they have not.

Man, internal inquiries have always been the dumbest loving thing. "After a long investigation of myself I've determined that my reasoning is flawless and I cannot be punished lol suck it law".

I know this is nothing new by a looooooong shot but it's still baffling that it's allowed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah but its fun to ride the election coaster wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I Want To Get Off Mr. Silver's Wild Ride

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You know, if Wikileaks really did have anything else worthwhile they would release it right now.

An october surprise won't do poo poo against a lead this strong, they would need to cut it down way earlier

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

theblackw0lf posted:

Interesting

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/761611705457713152

This may partly explain why that Latino poll in Florida only showed around 17% of hispanics supporting Trump, while in that other general poll of Florida he was getting around 30%.

Cuban ex-pats are such awful people that it makes Castro look better by comparison.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

axeil posted:

I Want To Get Off Mr. Silver's Wild Ride

This thread has shown me the two fanbases which care the most about politics are Seahawks and Eagles fans

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This thread has shown me the two fanbases which care the most about politics are Seahawks and Eagles fans

in the nowcast Louisiana goes Trump and Georgia doesn't and I don't want to live in a world where I admit that Atlanta has literally anything better about it than New Orleans

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Must be the bird gang :911:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

Man, internal inquiries have always been the dumbest loving thing. "After a long investigation of myself I've determined that my reasoning is flawless and I cannot be punished lol suck it law".

I know this is nothing new by a looooooong shot but it's still baffling that it's allowed.

Actually internal investigations really hate cops and do their best to get them all fired, but they get foiled again and again because the cops are beyond reproach.

Also CSI Agents do all the real detective work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Winner is Jew posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the senate or house flipping, or the death of the GOP guys.

Maybe it's a suicide note

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You know, if Wikileaks really did have anything else worthwhile they would release it right now.

An october surprise won't do poo poo against a lead this strong, they would need to cut it down way earlier

If they actually had anything really really bad (like Hillary saying "Please kill person X on this day at this time") they'd probably want to release it like RIGHT before so the shock would hit her hardest.

More likely they've got nothing

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cheering for a Clinton victory is the only time Eagles fans are going to see something they cheer for win a national championship.

:smith:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

site posted:

Maybe it's a suicide note

I hope not, that would mean he is now immortal.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

For anyone looking for a list of what Trump did this week, Hillary's twitter team has you covered:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/761643508054712320

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

BobTheJanitor posted:

I hope not, that would mean he is now immortal.

alternately, that there's a Ghost House/Ghost Senate he'd have to make dumb and wrong predictions about in the afterlife

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

For anyone looking for a list of what Trump did this week, Hillary's twitter team has you covered:

Well, when you put it like that, it does seem that this has been a rough week so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Cuban ex-pats are such awful people that it makes Castro look better by comparison.

They're getting better. The younger generations don't get what the big deal is and think grandpa is being crazy, and some of the ex-pats are coming around to the normalization of relations. I've heard a couple at the church I go to say they didn't like it at first, but now they'd like to go see their homeland one last time.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know she doesn't ACTUALLY write her own tweets, but preserving the fiction is a decent idea. Referring to yourself in the third person is a little weird. At least Madmarker thinks so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

They're getting better. The younger generations don't get what the big deal is and think grandpa is being crazy, and some of the ex-pats are coming around to the normalization of relations. I've heard a couple at the church I go to say they didn't like it at first, but now they'd like to go see their homeland one last time.

When your starting point is Orlando Bosch and Luis Posada, there's no way to go from up, really.

• Locked thread