Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

City of Tampa posted:

I hope that Will gradually gains control of his ability to switch between dimensions but then realizes that he's also slowly transforming into a Demigorgon.

I'm cool with that as long as they don't pull some stupid Donnie Darko poo poo in the final episode where he travels back in-time to kidnap himself.

FE--

Funky See Funky Do posted:

One I never quite picked up on: Was the monster supposed to be the only thing that lived in the parallel dimension?

As far as I know it was never said what the dimension even was, much less what the creature was. Since Will and the dead psychic kids could access it it's presumably not just 11's broken brain, but as for why only one monster was around seems to have been left deliberately open-ended for sequels (or ideally, to never be fully explained).

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
One I never quite picked up on: Was the monster supposed to be the only thing that lived in the parallel dimension?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

City of Tampa posted:

I hope that Will gradually gains control of his ability to switch between dimensions but then realizes that he's also slowly transforming into a Demigorgon.

The theory that Ele is the demogorgon, as it is a reflection of her anger/rage from the upsidedown made manifest would play really well with this. Have Will's demo mutilate his scumbag father and watch him try to cope with what happened, but the grief and shame just make it more powerful and more blood thirsty

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

City of Tampa posted:

Stranger Things: Barb dies, Will comes back full of slugs, 011 disappears with Demigorgon.

you are a terrible person

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Booblord Zagats posted:

The theory that Ele is the demogorgon, as it is a reflection of her anger/rage from the upsidedown made manifest would play really well with this. Have Will's demo mutilate his scumbag father and watch him try to cope with what happened, but the grief and shame just make it more powerful and more blood thirsty

this is wonderful

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm torn between a self driven manifestation of el versus just *some thing* out there she accidentally ran into during psychoespionage...

Which she wisely avoided until the gmen were all 'yeah go poke it what could go wrong'

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They're going to go with "self-driven manifestation." It's by far the safer, cheaper-to-produce, easier-to-wring-pathos-from route.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Oh and loving hardcore :lol: at anyone who says this show is like Stephen King. 80s King was way more vulgar than anything in here. Your average "Tales from the Darkside" episode is closer to Stephen King than this.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/754699429047836672

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I hope the next season is only tangentially related to the first, that way we don't get season 1 explained to death.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

mind the walrus posted:

Oh and loving hardcore :lol: at anyone who says this show is like Stephen King. 80s King was way more vulgar than anything in here. Your average "Tales from the Darkside" episode is closer to Stephen King than this.

Double loving hardcore :lol:

:laffo:

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 5, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:lol:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

I mean that's definitely a little narcissistic, but he wrote IT and Stand By Me. I think he was just saying that he really liked the show. King usually comments on media such as Stranger Things that he likes.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
the dimbulb deputy is making life worth living

a good show

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I really enjoyed this show, but Winona Ryder is loving unleashed; she doesn't chew scenery she devours it and it's just a bit much.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
She lost her kid dude

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

how do you guys feel about barb

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's a great for a netflix show. everyone at my work is talking about it. marking my territory here and i'll post more when i finish the last 2 eps.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Did you ever see the movie Volcano? For the purposes of this example I'll say yes.

There's this glasses girl assistant at the beginning of the movie where you're like "what the gently caress, why am I being forced to look at this human being on film?" but all becomes clear shockingly fast...it's basically a parachute-death, you don't feel bad because they're ugly so that landing is sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 6, 2016

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Did you ever see the movie Volcano? For the purposes of this example I'll say yes.

There's this glasses girl assistant at the beginning of the movie where you're like "what the gently caress, why am I being forced to look at this human being on film?" but all becomes clear shockingly fast...it's basically a parachute-death, you don't feel bad because they're ugly so that landing is sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

wow

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Ugly chick died and nobody really cared, just like real life.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Yeah, I'm old, I was in school at the time that ST is set in, and I truly don't remember any chick that was as awkward and dressed as badly as Barb. As ugly, yeah, it's high school, but not as dorky.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Netflix should do a Stranger Things/Wet Hot American Summer crossover movie.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Lol if Steven King had his way all those kids would have boned Eleven and the black cop would have magic powers.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Yes, I remember the orgy scene in Stand by Me well.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
do you remember the one in It, where a bunch of kids stop an extradimensional monster and then rawdog each other?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
an author wrote something transgressive? better never shut the gently caress up about it!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
watched this recently and can confirm: it's good

suck my drat balls to anyone as says otherwise

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Dean of Swing posted:

Lol if Steven King had his way all those kids would have boned Eleven and the black cop would have magic powers.

that sounds more like Chuck Palahniuk

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

City of Tampa posted:

that sounds more like Chuck Palahniuk

No that's actually a thing Stephen King wrote at the height of his 80s-ness.

Like yeah King can say Stranger Things is like his poo poo all he wants, but all you've got to do is go back and read anything he wrote in the 80s to know that Stranger Things is PG as gently caress compared to even his milder work.

To start, no one got called a friend of the family and there was hardly any fixation on big penises.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 6, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer the notion that the monster IS the Upside Down, like some kind of highly aggressive immune system or an ambulatory reproductive system. Given that it has to eat, it appears to be some kind of biological animal, but since it seems to utilize humans for breeding, it's hard to say--we don't know how intelligent it really is. The first half of the show, I sort of thought that it was generating the pocket dimension itself, rather than the Upside Down being a fully formed mirror to our world.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the upside down is the most confusing part of it - it's a mirror of our world but also a parallel dimension, so is it just an alternate reality where things went awry very recently (hence all the structures seen in our world seen being overgrown with xenofungus)? is the xenofungus creeping in through the portal in HNL how it all started in that dimension? what happened with that at the end of the season?

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
Daaaaang, definitely one of my favorite shows in a long time. I'm e cited for a second season, hopefully they don't over explain season one.

I'm an idiot and terrible at dissecting or analyzing movies and shows and why I enjoy them, but I read a post on another forum that helped me realize why I liked the show so much. It did three really generic 80s/early 90s themes really really well. The spielbergian kids ETish plot where they are trying to rescue their buddy with the help of a magic girl, the horror/thriller genre with the older teenagers having sex and lame highschool romances before they start getting murdered and have to battle a supernatural hero, and then the adults with the government coverup and small-town cop trying to find the truth behind the secretive and vaguely defined federal organization's x-files style thing.

There's just so many things going on in every episode and it stays interesting until the very end. I kept getting pissed off in the middle episodes because Jonathon and Girlie were just loving determined to deal with the monster by themselves without getting together with Hopper and Winona and sharing information with them and the kids. Ugh.

Dustin is the best character, but all of the kids did a really good job. Lucas was so-so.

Just a really neat show. Watched it with my sixty year old parents and they were crazy about it.

E- oh and duh that soundtrack was fly as gently caress and I love it. And the incidental synth music was my jam precisely. so goddamn groovy

Two Free Toppings fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 6, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the upside down is the most confusing part of it - it's a mirror of our world but also a parallel dimension, so is it just an alternate reality where things went awry very recently (hence all the structures seen in our world seen being overgrown with xenofungus)? is the xenofungus creeping in through the portal in HNL how it all started in that dimension? what happened with that at the end of the season?

It's probably more like a shadow. So if a building is built in the main world a shadow of the building appears in the upside down.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Germstore posted:

It's probably more like a shadow. So if a building is built in the main world a shadow of the building appears in the upside down.

well the monster destroyed the fort in the upside down; is it destroyed in our world then? riddle me that, batman

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

well the monster destroyed the fort in the upside down; is it destroyed in our world then? riddle me that, batman

I don't think so, we haven't seen damage carrying over in reverse--Will's actions in the Upside Down clearly influence the real world, and since Joyce paints letters on her wall and Will uses them to communicate, it must mean that you can also influence the Upside Down through the real world, but it's hard to say exactly how. Much of it was left ambiguous and the developers say they do have answers to all the questions in that regard--they have a thirty page document on the nature of the Upside Down, or so they claim. We do know that people, not just the monster, can cause the lights to change and glow, so it seems that the Upside Down is very, very "close" to our world, like a barnacle hanging off the underbelly.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm going with "parallel universe after the end" theory then until further notice as it explains why things are so closely aligned physically but can still arbitrarily be changed independently between the two

it would also explain why the monster was so keen on our world - he'd ran out of things to eat in the upside down :cenobite:

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 6, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

It's Silent Hill if it were sci-fi themed. It's not that complicated.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It'd be cool if they made everything left/right mirrored because if it is upside down and mirrored from the perspective of someone standing in it everything would appear to be left/right mirrored. Probably not worth the trouble though.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

mind the walrus posted:

It's Silent Hill if it were sci-fi themed. It's not that complicated.

which is why having a science teacher trying to explain it is a huge part of the plot :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

steve owns.

• Locked thread