Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I don't even know where they'll go from here. Lock them up on the train or something?

After all the good students are finished cooking, they'll hold a small announcement in a war bunker and then bomb the entire island.

Also, there won't be any ingredients left for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Soma gets expelled and has to cook in underground Yakuza backed food battles where life is cheap and ingredients are exotic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Soma gets expelled and has to cook in underground Yakuza backed food battles where life is cheap and ingredients are exotic.

livebearer would spice up this arc, yeah.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Same, but Alice, Ryou and Megumi

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

livebearer would spice up this arc, yeah.

Imagine a Livebearer solo spin off written in a Fukumoto style titled Cooking Annihilation Libear.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They're just going to start going literally Bond villain on this poo poo next round. Everyone's going to be dangling over fryers and on a conveyer belt closing in on a beef quartering bandsaw.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

After all the good students are finished cooking, they'll hold a small announcement in a war bunker and then bomb the entire island.

Also, there won't be any ingredients left for them.

So what you're saying is the reason why Azami was in America was because he was hammering out a deal with the Vault-Tec Corporation...

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Xelkelvos posted:

The secret to victory? Potatoes

I would have scoffed the same, but a few months ago, I had some potato noodles at a hole in a wall, and it was quite possibly the best noodle dish I've ever had.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Logicblade posted:

Cook the Proctors.

Part of me would be interested in a very dark spinoff where a young Hannibal Lecter joints Tootsuki and is challenged by very rude classmates to Shokugeki.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ShadowCatboy posted:

Part of me would be interested in a very dark spinoff where a young Hannibal Lecter joints Tootsuki and is challenged by very rude classmates to Shokugeki.

Someone get Ito Junji on this stat

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I never noticed that all of the judges for the semi-finals except for Dojima were 2nd seats. I feel like that'll be vaguely relevant later.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I would have scoffed the same, but a few months ago, I had some potato noodles at a hole in a wall, and it was quite possibly the best noodle dish I've ever had.

:same:

Potatoe noodle dishes can be amazing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm just finishing up the anime right now and this is going to be a weird loving question but is there fan art of Akira Hayama as Bubble Bass anywhere on the internet

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm all caught up now and I hope I can come up with more to say when I'm not on my phone but I really like this manga

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's very stupid but I think it's pretty good, yes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Absolutely, this series is ridiculous in the most amazing ways, but I'm a sucker for that and slow burn romances like what they're doing for Soma and Erina. The art is great, it's pretty funny, and it can actually make me feel legitimately tense at times (Megumi getting expelled and the Shokugeki with Eizen are a couple of examples I really enjoyed).

I liked most of the characters through the series so far, Soma's a solid protagonist if maybe slightly boring, but he's got a well-defined personality, actively learns from his mistakes, improves in obvious and sometimes understated ways and trolls the poo poo out of the people that need it. Erina started out an rear end in a top hat who didn't want to admit she was wrong and consistently doubled down on it in every interaction, but I enjoyed seeing her slowly gaining respect for Soma and legitimately helping him out a bit when he went up against Kuga. The Polar Stars are mostly one note, Isshiki and Megumi aside, both of whom I like quite a bit, but it's nice that they're still very competent cooks in their own right, and I'm finding I like them all more after Azami showed up and the tone shifted. Alice owns, I wish she had more than the one Shokugeki so far, but she's both very funny and very competent (as well, in a Shonen battle manga it's pretty nice that both Nakiris are somewhere in the top 5 of their year). Akira might be my least favorite character so far? He was pretty boring in the arc he starred in and had very little presence, so I’m happy he hasn’t been around much, for however long until that changes.

I'm worried Azami will end up killing the series with the change in tone (unless they revert back later, but I don't see how that could work) but gently caress if his appearance didn't keep me hooked on reading when that happened. I'd been wondering for a while leading up to that arc if there'd actually be any real antagonist (everyone up to that point is pretty much a rival save Subaru who was also just a mini-boss), and out of nowhere he walks in and terrifyingly hijacks the manga. I wish they kept the threat he represented smaller (restaurant domination is pretty ridiculous next to being terrible for the school and Erina's life) but it's not like either of those motivations for stopping him vanished. There isn't really a chance for redemption happening for him that I see, he's a really effectively done creepy gently caress who's done some monstrous poo poo and I don't see any foodgasm changing that.

I wasn't a huge fan of his arrival and the accompanying PTSD flashbacks making Erina into essentially Zelda from Link to the Past, but it led to some amazing payoffs on a couple of plot points ("Saiba Jouichirou is my dad" might be my favorite panel in the entire series), and I really hope that when the brainwashing plot bomb inevitably goes off it'll be handled decently. I suspect that might be saved for if/when Soma defeats Tsukasa and takes his spot towards the end of Azami's arc (whether that will extend to the entire rest of the series or the next ~50 chapters, who knows) and I'm guessing it'll be what starts the Soma vs. Erina Shokugeki that both the anime and the manga have periodically hinted at, with Soma getting absolutely destroyed before winning in a rematch?

I’m liking Shokugeki more than any series I’ve read in the last 2 or so years. I wish there was more out, but it’ll be good to look forward to a chapter each week and to reread the parts the anime covered to see what I missed.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 4, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

e: misread a thing whoops

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

ShadowCatboy posted:

I think that a horror-themed chef claiming to have cooked using human meat and then revealing it's something else would be fun. One of the Elite Ten is basically a gross-out spooky chef right, there you go.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/178/1

Speed scans are out, looks like this arc is about to pick up pretty quick.

No way at least one person isn't getting expelled, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/178/1

Speed scans are out, looks like this arc is about to pick up pretty quick.

No way at least one person isn't getting expelled, right?

I'd say there's a pretty good chance, and if they do it'll probably be someone more important than one of those random two dudes from Polar Star. If they're gonna go for the gut punch, and I'm starting to suspect that they might, it'll probably be Yuuki.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/178/3584/1 Mangastream version out now too.

Azami's plan might be the dumbest thing but he is pretty brutal. Not only will he put the rebels through some essentially impossible fights for the majority of them, but given that he's almost certainly going to get Erina to fight as an E10 member here through some kind of coercion (expel the other person immediately if she doesn't participate at her best? E10 get threatened with expulsion on failure?) it'll drive a wedge right between her and the Polar Stars. If that does happen it could be Soma she faces but I think right now it's way more likely to be Megumi, especially with the tension between Rindou and Soma pointing to a face-off right now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/178/3584/1

Less lovely scans are up.

Someone might get expelled, but maybe not. I'd actually wager that it's Megumi that takes the bullet with one of the others going on a Shokugeki to save her. Again.

Edit: Erina having a match against Megumi makes a lot more sense.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I guess this entire arc is just an excuse for Erina being put into "Mitsuru doesn't know how to eat hamburgers" moments.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/178/3584/1

Less lovely scans are up.

Someone might get expelled, but maybe not. I'd actually wager that it's Megumi that takes the bullet with one of the others going on a Shokugeki to save her. Again.

Edit: Erina having a match against Megumi makes a lot more sense.

It'd suck for Megumi or Takumi to job again, but if it does end up Megumi vs. Erina it's kind of inevitable. What does literally any of them have to wager for a Shokugeki though? They're already getting expelled if they lose, so what is there that's valuable to any of the E10? Soma giving up cooking forever? Erina joining Central for real if one of them loses? Could someone bet Polar Star's independence?

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess this entire arc is just an excuse for Erina being put into "Mitsuru doesn't know how to eat hamburgers" moments.

At this point it looks like it's for some catching up with some really needed softening of Erina and developing connections with the Polar Stars and Soma as set-up for a brutal twist of the knife when their most helpful asset for getting through the challenges is used to expel one of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this chapter put a giant flashing warning light over nikumi's head. if anyone is getting the boot it is her.

i kind of doubt anyone is getting expelled, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I suppose there wouldn't be a reason for Isshiki or the other two people who got removed from the Elite Ten to show up, right? (What was it, beaniedude and swordguy?shorty.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 4, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I suppose there wouldn't be a reason for Isshiki or the other two people who got removed from the Elite Ten to show up, right? (What was it, beaniedude and swordguy?shorty.)

Isshiki is actually doing something helpful right now, but what it is is completely unknown.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They made it explicit that that Headsock Guy, Isshiki and Yugioh are all setting up some kind of plot against Azami.

Hell, if the random miracles by which the dorm guys keep passing turned out to be the three removed members cheating behind the scenes it would be way more interesting than "Snidely Whiplash level villains don't know how to use the words 'you fail.'"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Its weird to say this in a food manga, but the cavalry showing up to totally Shokugeki some nerds would be :krad:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Its weird to say this in a food manga, but the cavalry showing up to totally Shokugeki some nerds would be :krad:

This would be pretty great, maybe Rindou leaked the plan out to them?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm glad for it.

Anyway this is a pretty good group of 4 to focus on, though i'm certain we'll get a bit on the others as well. And i'm not sure whether these battles are going to be actual shokugeki's or something a bit different. I hope it's not quite a direct contest yet, I think a serious match of Soma vs Rindou should be saved for later.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So how is it that Azami's likely to get defeated and removed from power, anyway? He got in on an E10 vote, but he's kicked out the minority that voted against him and if someone else took one of the E10 spots he could just kick them out as well. 5 people could theoretically take a seat around the same time, but that'd require 5 E10 members to be stupid enough to put pride/something else before the ridiculous amounts of money, power, and privilege that come with the seat and then lose on top of that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is called graduation. most of his pet idiots are third years and they will leave the school at the same time. he doesn't really have any replacements lined up who could fight off souma and the rest to defend their seats. it is actually really important that azami gets rid of any talented dissenters during the current arc, though obviously he will fail again because the dude is amazingly dim.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

So how is it that Azami's likely to get defeated and removed from power, anyway? He got in on an E10 vote, but he's kicked out the minority that voted against him and if someone else took one of the E10 spots he could just kick them out as well. 5 people could theoretically take a seat around the same time, but that'd require 5 E10 members to be stupid enough to put pride/something else before the ridiculous amounts of money, power, and privilege that come with the seat and then lose on top of that.

He's gonna offer his ownership of the school up on a shokugeki.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
grandpa vs dad shokugeki would be amazing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yukihee-land in the anime today. :getin:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Dōjima was a goddamned treasure during that part.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mulderman posted:

Dōjima was a goddamned treasure during that part.

Dōjima is an unfailing provider of manservice, he's a goddamn treasure for that alone. :allears:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dojima's the best. I know we saw it in the manga, but they kicked it up a notch with the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dojima's the best. I know we saw it in the manga, but they kicked it up a notch with the anime.

Cabbage Pink. :swoon: