Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsampikos
May 4, 2009

ZWZ posted:

If its perfect why do I keep getting c.s when its too far to connect vs Johnnys fat rear end

https://a.pomf.cat/kqcdtj.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

play guilty gear

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I want burst in marvel so you can be constantly reminded of the inevitably of doom missiles

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIez53JJB1Y

I thought at first he was a Capcom plant. But he never said he thought the game was good or amazing.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Causal players can play with Jwong!
Buy our costumes! We can League of Legends too!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

no posts about topanga charity cup anywhere huh
anyhow play marvel

https://a.pomf.cat/gtykkd.webm

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play Marvel
https://a.pomf.cat/fbvlzy.webm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIez53JJB1Y

I thought at first he was a Capcom plant. But he never said he thought the game was good or amazing.
id play casuals with justin wong

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

For an example of lovely bursts see MKX

MKX breakers come at a pretty high resource cost and reset neutral, I think they're good even if there's no system for bait/punish.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

MKX breakers come at a pretty high resource cost and reset neutral, I think they're good even if there's no system for bait/punish.

high resource cost its super meter youre never gonna use it for anything else if you can use it to burst

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Now I haven't played MKX as much as MK9 but at least in MK9 it was hella easy to lock the opponent in an actual infinite and force them to wait until they got 2/3 of a super just to not insta-lose.
99% of the time, Combo Breakers are there just because game designers are too bad to prevent infinities.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

high resource cost its super meter youre never gonna use it for anything else if you can use it to burst

EX moves get used a lot in X and managing your meter between you damage output and ability to prevent damage a good strategic layer. Also, it burns your stamina for a while which is arguably more important than the ex meter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

99% of the time, Combo Breakers are there just because game designers are too bad to prevent infinities.
bursts in guilty gear, are good

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

Now I haven't played MKX as much as MK9 but at least in MK9 it was hella easy to lock the opponent in an actual infinite and force them to wait until they got 2/3 of a super just to not insta-lose.

MKX cut down on a lot of the dumb infinite pressure/unblockable bullshit MK9 had, and I feel like it made EX moves more useful too, so now the main use for meter isn't just "bursting". They also added a weird alpha counter thing that no one uses because THAT one is too expensive for what it gets you. I think it eats stamina too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

bursts in guilty gear, are good

Hence 99% of the times and not 100%.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Any infinites in the MK were bugs and are long gone. I can't actually think of a game that has both combo breakers and infnites. The three main games that have combo breakers are KI, MK, and GG. KI and MK definitely don't have infinites and I'm pretty sure neither does GG. Marvel has infinites and doesn't have combo breakers. Maybe there there are games that have both infinites and combo breakers, but it's just some niche game that no one except hard core FGC players have ever played. I'm not sure how finding some niche game with stupid mechanics proves anything.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

tvc

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what tvc stand for which just proves my point.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
heres everything you need to know about Tatsunoko Vs Capcom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeD_zu7wEkg

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Endorph posted:

id play casuals with justin wong

same, but only on xbox live.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Has there ever been a good burst system where burst is tied to the same meter as supers? I feel like that's always a bad idea.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Microwaves Mom posted:

same, but only on xbox live.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Has there ever been a good burst system where burst is tied to the same meter as supers? I feel like that's always a bad idea.

samsho 5

but that games meter is pretty weird and isn''t the standard "do super/ex move by spending specific amounts of this" meter so I dunno if that counts.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

samsho 5

but that games meter is pretty weird and isn''t the standard "do super/ex move by spending specific amounts of this" meter so I dunno if that counts.

how frequently are you bursting out of a combo in samsho

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's not a combo heavy game like most that have burst but there are definitely situations where it can save your rear end, & using it like a gold burst in guilty gear can be a strong option

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Safety Scissors posted:

Maybe there there are games that have both infinites and combo breakers, but it's just some niche game that no one except hard core FGC players have ever played.

MK9 and Skullgirls are the two that that come to mind.
Not sure if Skullgirls still has infinities or not but it used to when I played it.
MK9 is infinite central though and they have NOT been patched out.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Come on guys if we're gonna refuse to talk about Street Fighter V in the Street Fighter V thread at least be knowledgeable about other games we're shitposting about.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Jack Trades posted:

MK9 and Skullgirls are the two that that come to mind.
Not sure if Skullgirls still has infinities or not but it used to when I played it.
MK9 is infinite central though and they have NOT been patched out.

Skullgirls has combo breakers?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Skullgirls has combo breakers?

ips when you hit any of the incredibly complicated and convoluted barriers to your combo

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

I watched the topanga stream and my favorite tactic, wakeup 3f jab xx activate, has been replaced by wakeup fang j.mk

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Wakeup kim overhead into 900 damage HD combo

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Come on guys if we're gonna refuse to talk about Street Fighter V in the Street Fighter V thread at least be knowledgeable about other games we're shitposting about.

play marvel
https://a.pomf.cat/ijmfxe.webm

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zand posted:

ips when you hit any of the incredibly complicated and convoluted barriers to your combo

you baited the hook, now we just wait for a broken loose to bite

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Jack Trades posted:

Not that NRS isn't terrible at making fighting games but this wasn't true at all and you didn't play and don't know as much about MK9 as you think.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

you baited the hook, now we just wait for a broken loose to bite

he won't bite because the standard response is a three page rule set for what triggers ips

edit... lol bebop calling out Jack trades on not knowing what he's talking about wrt fgs. dude has as much or more experience than you and is also cooler. relax.

Zand fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 6, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Not that NRS isn't terrible at making fighting games but this wasn't true at all and you didn't play and don't know as much about MK9 as you think.

At least Rain definitely had an actual infinite that you had to combo break out of in the final build of the game.
I'm not sure about how many characters had infinites to be fair, but Rain definitely did.

EDIT: Actually, maybe it was patched out of the console version and not PC version. In hindsight that wouldn't surprise me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fereydun posted:

play marvel

gently caress fighting games. Play party games for kids instead.
https://a.pomf.cat/qjdpvi.webm

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
play uniel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVueSM-Dxic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why isn't doubles the standard format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Jack Trades posted:

At least Rain definitely had an actual infinite that you had to combo break out of in the final build of the game.

He doesn't though.

Like I don't think Rain ever had an infinite. It was just Cyrax and Smoke because they had ways to reset you into meaty unblockables. Kabal had an infinite blockstring that was really hard to do.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 6, 2016