Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh he does. He tweets about Russia surveillance being bad sometimes whenever Putin gives him permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I guess what I'm getting at here greatn is that if you suppose that the only valid whistleblowing on an organization which is breaking the law, is done through the channels set up within that lawbreaking organization by the people who run it, for the purpose of exposing the lawbreaking of the organization and the people running it... if in your mind that is the only valid way to blow the whistle on this poo poo and anything else is hypocritical or automatically treasonous or whatever, then holy gently caress you are a god-damned idiot.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

evil_bunnY posted:

LMAO gently caress lobbyists forever.

Double check your sources. The original text says 25 hours a year.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
On one hand Snowden was in a box with respect to his option surrounding the release of that information, on the other hand I can't spare even a drop of respect for him now that he's doing propaganda for Putin.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

fits my needs posted:

Well I am sure it's worth it for Snowden because now I'm sure he enjoys many Russian "girlfriends" in addition to being a mouthpiece for Putin. Funny how Snowden has no problem with Russia's methods of surveillance.

you mean apart from criticizing those methods of surveillance openly, sure

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yes I am sure Snowden is sitting on a trove of Russian documents which conclusively prove the GRU is breaking Russian laws, and is holding off on releasing them only out of love for the Russian Federation. Clearly his situation in Russian as a pawn of Vladimir Putin is identical to that of when he was working as a contractor for the NSA.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Feinne posted:

On one hand Snowden was in a box with respect to his option surrounding the release of that information, on the other hand I can't spare even a drop of respect for him now that he's doing propaganda for Putin.

post the propaganda

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
There's a front-page article about the Khans in today's new york times that i am sure trump will erupt at in a few hours. interviews with captain khan's former fiancee, with an iranian-american kid he protected from bullies in high school, with a member of his unit, with the lady who runs the fabric store mrs. khan started working at to stave off her depression, with people involved in the UVA ROTC...and then there's this:

quote:

“For years, I’ve been telling people he’s the most patriotic person I’ve ever met, and I’ve met quite a few,” Mr. Leroux said of Mr. Khan. “There are people who will put on cutoffs of the American flag and say they’re patriotic. Or they’ll put on bumper stickers — America, Love It or Leave It — and say they’re patriotic. He has a much more profound idea of being patriotic. It’s a complete understanding of what liberty and democracy mean.”

In recent years, [Khizr Khan] had gone out on his own as a legal consultant. A few days ago, he took down the website promoting his law work. He said that he was getting hateful messages and that he was worried about it being hacked. Insinuations were being made, that he was involved in shady immigration cases. He said he has had no clients come to him for that sort of work. He said he did commercial law, especially electronic discovery work.

gently caress these people trying to destroy his reputation. gently caress the people attacking this poor woman who is still paralyzed by her son's death twelve years later. Jesus. Leave the poor family alone.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Feinne posted:

If you're so loving worried about all this freelance propaganda work he's doing for the Russians then how about supporting a deal whereby he can return to the US without having his brains blown out and dumped off a bridge somewhere?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

edrith posted:

There's a front-page article about the Khans in today's new york times that i am sure trump will erupt at in a few hours. interviews with captain khan's former fiancee, with an iranian-american kid he protected from bullies in high school, with a member of his unit, with the lady who runs the fabric store mrs. khan started working at to stave off her depression, with people involved in the UVA ROTC...and then there's this:

gently caress these people trying to destroy his reputation. gently caress the people attacking this poor woman who is still paralyzed by her son's death twelve years later. Jesus. Leave the poor family alone.

Hillary should get a surrogate to casually mention the idea of appointing Khizr Khan to the Supreme Court just to see how Trump reacts.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Kilroy posted:

If you're so loving worried about all this freelance propaganda work he's doing for the Russians then how about supporting a deal whereby he can return to the US without having his brains blown out and dumped off a bridge somewhere?

While I agree with you in theory, you're crazy if you think they would just let him walk onto a plane headed towards the US. Snowden almost certain lives in a gilded cage.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
By golly I would admire Snowden for doing us all a huge favor in letting us know how our government is doing all this illegal spying on us, but gently caress that shithead for not getting himself killed while doing it. What a dick!

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

I'm like 90% sure he's gonna do the first debate, get his rear end handed to him, and then skip the rest insisting that the moderators are biased against him.

If he backs out on a debate hillary should invite johnson to debate and then have the both of them spend the evening dunking on trump.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Bushiz posted:

If he backs out on a debate hillary should invite johnson to debate and then have the both of them spend the evening dunking on trump.

Lol if you think Johnson doesn't correctly identify Hillary as the real threat to his dumbass fake campaign, and that he wouldn't instead spend the entire debate having his insane ideology legitimized by being on the same stage with the human incarnation of the concept of a Serious Candidate.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiohazrD posted:

While I agree with you in theory, you're crazy if you think they would just let him walk onto a plane headed towards the US. Snowden almost certain lives in a gilded cage.

I think they would if the US gave him amnesty. Him staying at that point would make it fairly obvious he's essentially a hostage. I don't think Snowden is a mouthpiece for the Kremlin but I do think he's a naive idiot who can occasionally be manipulated by the FSB to give some credence to russian propaganda. Preventing him from repatriating would make the game obvious to everyone and make him worthless in that regard.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bushiz posted:

If he backs out, set up an empty podium and the whole event should go on as normal.
And when the question is for Trump, just air a minute of silence watching the podium.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Bushiz posted:

I don't think Snowden is a mouthpiece for the Kremlin but I do think he's a naive idiot who can occasionally be manipulated by the FSB to give some credence to russian propaganda.

post examples

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kilroy posted:

He committed treason and deserves to be jailed for life or executed. Being a traitor and giving state secrets to our enemies should not just be let off with a slap on the wrist.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Apparently Trump is going to be very attentive watching the olympics, particularly the track and field segment. He wants to see how high the Mexican team goes with the pole vault.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Kilroy posted:

I would have much preferred if he'd had better options than he did and could in fact still be in this country and free. There should have been a legal venue through which the NSA's activities could be exposed without him suffering consequences for it.

Here in the real world there was not a good set of options for him. Hanging out in Russia poo poo-talking the US every so often on twitter might have actually been the 'best' option but that doesn't mean I have to respect the choice to do that.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 6, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
In the event that Evan Bayh wins the Indiana Senate race, Schumer could elect to recognize his seniority and give him chairmanship of the Banking committee instead of Sherrod Brown.

Via American Banker.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Kilroy posted:

Yes I am sure Snowden is sitting on a trove of Russian documents which conclusively prove the GRU is breaking Russian laws, and is holding off on releasing them only out of love for the Russian Federation. Clearly his situation in Russian as a pawn of Vladimir Putin is identical to that of when he was working as a contractor for the NSA.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that he's sitting on some dirt on Putin; by which I mean "if he has any dirt on Putin, he has probably arranged for it to be distributed publicly upon his death or mysterious disappearance."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fits my needs posted:

He committed treason and deserves to be jailed for life or executed. Being a traitor and giving state secrets to our enemies should not just be let off with a slap on the wrist.

If you think Snowden gave classified material to "our enemies" I really wonder who you think "we" are and who you think the "enemies" are.

He took no classified material out of hong Kong; he wiped it all after making the handoff to Greenwald et. al.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

post examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1yH554emkY

I mean, I think he's gotten smarter about being duped into this poo poo, but the fact remains that he's gotten duped into this poo poo before.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Bushiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1yH554emkY

I mean, I think he's gotten smarter about being duped into this poo poo, but the fact remains that he's gotten duped into this poo poo before.
how is that "giving credence to kremlin propaganda". would you prefer these kinds of questions to simply not be asked ever so that putin does not get a chance to lie his rear end off in public

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I have the Olympics on as background noise, and every other commercial break has a Clinton ad. Not complaining, but I live in Maryland, isn't that sort of preaching to the choir?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crow Jane posted:

I have the Olympics on as background noise, and every other commercial break has a Clinton ad. Not complaining, but I live in Maryland, isn't that sort of preaching to the choir?

I get them in Oregon too. Hillary has mad cash.

I saw a Jill Stein ad once too but that's about it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Might have to do with the fact that Sen. Mikulski is retiring which means an open Maryland Senate race.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sometimes media markets spill over state borders. Like the buy you are seeing in MD is actually targeted at VA. Oregon I can't really explain though.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

happyhippy posted:

If he backs out, set up an empty podium and the whole event should go on as normal.
And when the question is for Trump, just air a minute of silence watching the podium.

Silence would do better for trumps numbers than him speaking

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Oregon/Maryland ads are about driving up turnout. Also I bet you're getting a fraction of the ads I'm seeing down here in Florida.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GalacticAcid posted:

In the event that Evan Bayh wins the Indiana Senate race, Schumer could elect to recognize his seniority and give him chairmanship of the Banking committee instead of Sherrod Brown.

Via American Banker.

lol if Schumer did this he'd immediately have to deal with every progressive in the party calling for his head. Even he doesn't want to poke that bear, I think.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Snowden dumped a whole bunch of stuff on legit foreign surveillance that he didn't agree with because he's a libertarian shithead.

Even if you think dumping the domestic poo poo was legitimate whistleblowing that doesn't excuse all the other poo poo he dumped.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The idea that giving an interview to RT, or any similar news organization innately constitutes "freelance propaganda work" is silly. It's amazing the levels of hyperbole ("treason!") that can just be casually thrown around regarding Snowden. That these declarations of "propaganda!" and "aiding the enemy!" are done while uncritically repeating the accusations of our state-media apparatus just drives it into self-parody.

Snowden gives a truthful interview with Russia Today about the whisteblowing he's done, which he's payed an enormous personal price for - scurrilous propaganda. NSA flacks throwing fact-free accusations and damage-control to a dead-eyed Wolf Blitzer - penetrating journalism that should be taken as fact and repeated.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 6, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Snowden dumped a whole bunch of stuff on legit foreign surveillance that he didn't agree with because he's a libertarian shithead.

Even if you think dumping the domestic poo poo was legitimate whistleblowing that doesn't excuse all the other poo poo he dumped.

When I read about how the NSA was watching the Israeli military via hacked drone feeds or something to see if they were preparing to attack Iran, my reaction was "what's wrong with this? This is exactly the sort of thing they should be doing."

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxtLccVnu0

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Periodiko posted:

The idea that giving an interview to RT, or any similar news organization innately constitutes "freelance propaganda work" is silly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/opinion/for-putin-disinformation-is-power.html

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
When I dump poo poo, I make sure it's curated beforehand.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It's so crazy to see liberals angry at Snowden. The guy's an American hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fits my needs posted:

Well I am sure it's worth it for Snowden because now I'm sure he enjoys many Russian "girlfriends" in addition to being a mouthpiece for Putin. Funny how Snowden has no problem with Russia's methods of surveillance.

He even asked Putin a carefully worded softball question at a press-conference the day after Pavel Durov revealed government pressure to spy on Russian opposition activists
and Ukrainian activists on VK. (Durov has since been forced to cede control of his social network and left the country).

• Locked thread